De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the comments in the fcbayern subbreddit make me feel assured about what we're getting.

Always thought he was a class act until he went to Bayern and just felt he sort of lost his way for some reason, but then I read from Bayern fans he hasn't done anything wrong - it was just that Tuchel wanted his centre backs to be more vertical passers so he became 3rd choice.

It's been mentioned in here, but it's tactical. Because of Dumfries pushing up so high, De Vrij is better suited to the RCB/RB role of a 3, where as De Ligt is better as a CB in a pair.
Bayern played with classic back four. I remember that de Ligt after being injured in Saarbrücken fell down the pecking order. Tuchel explained that Kim and Upamecano were faster and more versatile when he changed the system during a match. As well as both had a better build up game.

I personally would have preferred to keep de Ligt and sell Kim, who didn't live up to the hype.
This is just the opinion of a fan without inside knowledge or having the eyes of s coach.

Bayern played with classic back four. I remember that de Ligt after being injured in Saarbrücken fell down the pecking order. Tuchel explained that Kim and Upamecano were faster and more versatile when he changed the system during a match. As well as both had a better build up game.

I personally would have preferred to keep de Ligt and sell Kim, who didn't live up to the hype.
This is just the opinion of a fan without inside knowledge or having the eyes of s coach.
I think you would have to give Kim another season at least.
He was quality fot Napoli for, what, 2/3 campaigns?

His Dad's fat.

I must say, I think his dad can legitimately feel that his reputation for obesity is somewhat unfair. He might not make the cover of Men's Health, but he's hardly a whale:

5062739-matthijs-de-ligt-avec-compagne-annekee-m-580x0-2.jpg
162.jpg

I think you would have to give Kim another season at least.
He was quality fot Napoli for, what, 2/3 campaigns?
Really? I thought he only played one season there.
If de Ligt is sold, than Kim will stay definitely. Guess he is on lower wages also.

I can see the reasoning behind both managers choices and ultimately, that is the management game. Doesn't mean either of them are vindicated or wrong, but they had their reasons.

I understand De Ligt isn't the perfect CB, but we desperately miss someone who has his qualities. You have quite a few similar profiles already, so can allow one of them to go.

50 million Euros is about 40 million quid which is the same as Max Killman.
just goes to show that we should put more focus on getting players in from abroad. With the PL tax (and United tax), there just isn't that much value to be had.

Not to shit on Kilman, who is a decent CB. But in no world should 27 year old Max Kilman cost as much as 24 year old Matthijs de Ligt.

Want to share it with us?

Some quotes:

I’m going to un-alive myself.

I’ve made my peace with it, love the guy, but I can see why the board wanted to sell him. He’s better defensively than any of our CBs but he’s not really a modern defender in who can move the ball forward comfortably. Not only that, but he’s the only one of our CBs who has a market and is on high wages so it makes sense.
Or, I’m just coping
Now that we have Palhinha though, he can mask a lot of the weaknesses of our current CBs so I’m cautiously optimistic for the upcoming season

I haven't seen him struggle with moving the ball. Sure he's not as good at long balls as Dier, but heck otherwise he has everything Dier/Upa/Kim at their best have and more potential. Upa just makes too many risky/silly inconsistent passes, is that a modern defender? Because none of this makes any sense to me.

Don’t understand this decision. He was still the the best defender in my opinion. I wish him the best, then.

damn he was my fav cb the last two seasons. bayern isnt set on him, koeman isnt either (but that doesnt mean anything). now he goes into the hellhole that is old trafford. gl.

I hate this so much

This feels like a punch in the gut. Wish him well.

Damn seemed like it was trending this way but still hurts, still excited for the new additions for Bayern but will root for de light to do well at Man Utd!

I mean, it's hard to imagine it "trending" any other way once you learn that your club wants to get you tf out of there...
Even if we go "oh sorry, Matthijs, we've just been entertaining offers and seeing what's out there, we really DO want you, Ito and Tah are to replace all these OTHER guys", anyone who isn't content with riding the bench and picking up with his paycheck will see the writing on the wall.
Just speaks volumes about MdL's attitude and professionalism that he isn't like that and would rather transfer to a potentially worse club for potentially less money to keep playing and proving himself.
All in all, shame how it worked out, even though I don't think he's the best CB in the world in a possession-heavy system, he seems like an amazing teammate to have around. This whole debacle could have been prevented if we didn't do the typical Bayern thing of signing him onto a massive contract in the first place (or all these older mofos eating up the wage bill, but that's another rant entirely).
Just a victim of bad board decisions, both at his signing and now with this weird fire sale that's going on.

Yep, my Bayern supporting mate who I trust when it comes to judging players (and loves to shit on United just to piss me off) said he doesn't understand the transfer and thinks he is their best defender

Good. There hasn’t been a more obvious signing in our history, called it months ago on here that if we are after a defender then de Ligt should absolutely be our main target.

Not as good as Martinez but better than Varane and Maguire. Probably on par with Lindelof.
Think Maguire is a lot better on the ball than Lindelof, who never takes responsibility with the ball (or defending). Maguire is a much more consistent long passer and is far more willing to push up agressively, and can help in transition.

Lindelof has one or two nice long passes to Rashford every season and has now built up himself some reputation as ball-playing defender.

Agreed.

Lindelof looks technically good and is capable but doesn't do as much by way of actually being proactive and playing on his own terms. He's really not that superior to Varane and Maguire, who are both awkward as feck with their passing and ball carrying but do more i.e effective by simply actually trying and attempting. With Lindelof, the ball usually goes back where it came 9/10 which means it goes back to AWB under pressure or to the keeper with little to no progression and worse, ceding territory/momentum.

There is no way de Ligt is on par AKA as bad as Lindelof on the ball.

There is a keep de ligt petition on change.org which reads:

We all want Matthijs de Ligt to stay at FC Bayern Munich! He has proven that he‘s a world class defender, probably the best in our squad. There is a reason why he was elected as our best player in the 2022/23 season. Furthermore he is only 24 years old and has a bright future ahead, which he is going to use to fulfill his huge potential. Despite his young age, Mattha is already very mature and has a great mentality which will definitely make him a leading figure in defense and probably a competitor for captaincy in some years. His ability to speak English, German and Dutch fluently would help him a lot for that. With 19 years he already brought Ajax Amsterdam to the UCL semi finals as captain.

Selling Matthijs de Ligt would be an absolutely horrible decision and we would definitely regret it. That‘s why we use our voice to call attention that we will NOT make this mistake!

It has 68, 533 signatures so far!

The comments are literally all begging him to stay and saying it will be a huge mistake to lose him. Seems to be a general opinion of the fanbase. Sign him up!!!!

On one hand this all sounds great. Maybe not another bayern scam?

On the other, he couldn't even get on the pitch for that bang average dutch team.

I hope he succeeds but I fear he'll just be another sicknote to burden our medical department. Very good player if he can stay fit but it's a big if.

Yet they appear absolutely delighted with Spurs bench option CB, a player Spurs had no concern about losing.

Not black and white is football.

Mourinho hated Shaw, tonnes of our fans adore him.
Managers have sold many a great player in the past, from De Bruyne, to Robben, to Cantona.
Kompany and the transfer team likely think their CB options are good regardless of De Ligt, and with Kim & Upamecano they are. Likely then they prefer to give the ok to sell De Ligt and reduce a huge wage bill in order to improve the areas in which they lack in quality and aren’t so stacked as they are at CB.
Yes but Mourinho wasn't entirely wrong in his concerns about Shaw, it's not like he's a slam dunk for the fans point of view. He's been here god knows how long and it's not unmitigated success. He's a good player but he's had his very mediocre seasons, obviously career not helped by his leg break.

We always have these explanations when we sign big players from established clubs, before they go very very wrong. There's always a justification and I'm not stating they don't have merit in this case, I'm just saying it's always worth a close eye when a big club is ecstatic to be moving a player on. They aren't even getting huge sums going by the reports. So whether it's for money, salary concerns, whatever it is they see more value in his departure than his signature and that's interesting to me.

I think this is already on the bag and we will get Orstein breaking the news or Fabricio here we go soon on this one.

Then I think we will get Yoro or Branthwaite. If Yoro decide to come instead of going to Real, them we will stop pursuing Branthwaite.

Now that Zirkzee is all but wrapped up, I imagine we would want to wrap up De Ligt before he goes on holidays. Most likely we are going to announce it either tomorrow or Monday. Or maybe our board can surprise us for once, and announce it on the weekend.

From Bayern's point of view, I think he might be their Stam, a CB they are willing to let go far too soon.

Never ever seen Yoro play but please him and not the overrated overpriced Branthwaite.
I agree. He seems the most talented out of the 2 by a mile. Says it all because Madrid want him. Bit similar to Varane.

Yes but Mourinho wasn't entirely wrong in his concerns about Shaw, it's not like he's a slam dunk for the fans point of view. He's been here god knows how long and it's not unmitigated success. He's a good player but he's had his very mediocre seasons, obviously career not helped by his leg break.

I agree, but then you conveniently ignored the likes of Cantona from Leeds, Sneijder & Robben from Madrid, KDB and Salah from Chelsea. Plus tonnes of other examples of clubs making a “mistake” in selling a player.

We always have these explanations when we sign big players from established clubs, before they go very very wrong. There's always a justification and I'm not stating they don't have merit in this case, I'm just saying it's always worth a close eye when a big club is ecstatic to be moving a player on. They aren't even getting huge sums going by the reports. So whether it's for money, salary concerns, whatever it is they see more value in his departure than his signature and that's interesting to me.

I haven’t heard anything about them being “ecstatic”, stop being purposefully daft.
Real Madrid saw more value in Robben’s depature, as did Chelsea, just as they did with KDB. So?
Sometimes clubs get it right and sell a player at the right time, sometimes wrong.

And for what it’s worth, most of our signings go very wrong , doesn’t matter who we sign them from, be it Leicester, Benfica, Villareal, Crystal Palace, so it’s always worth a close eye on every signing.

Those three plus Martinez would be an amazing change to our defence.

No, all three

Not everything that's reported in the papers is the truth. The club might be saying they are interested in all 3, but I guarantee you that there's no way that Yoro and Branthwaite would agree to come as the 3rd and 4th choice center backs. Yoro I can see coming as the 3rd choice after de ligt and Martinez to be the young guy rotating in, but branthwaite I doubt would come as 3rd choice. It'll be de ligt signing as the starter, and then we'll see who we get as the squad player option. Typically big money/highly rated transfers aren't done for 3rd and 4th choice players when you are also going to sign the 1st choice guy, so I'm skeptical.

Highly doubt we pull this off unless we sell 2 CBs. Most like Lindelof and Maguire.
Even if we do, I doubt branthwaite and Yoro accept big transfers to become 3rd and 4th choice options. I can see it for Yoro being 3rd choice, but both of them as backups I don't see.

Status
Not open for further replies.