De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We made him the highest paid academy player in the clubs history. We have to at least try everything to make it work, I assume it’s last chance saloon though as far as showing no effort and openly stropping on the pitch goes. I fancy him to have a good season. We are finally buying the best players we possibly can and investing in the infrastructure. Who wouldn’t want to be a part of it? The only way is down for Rashford. PSG or not. His camp will know this.

Not that this is the thread for it, but Rashford has enough on his plate without the added pressure of being captain as well. If his form doesn't pick up then he'll be criticized for being a poor captain etc. in addition to his own performances. Best thing for him is to keep him far away from things like that and let him focus on his own game and hopefully have a good season.

Yet they appear absolutely delighted with Spurs bench option CB, a player Spurs had no concern about losing.

Not black and white is football.

Mourinho hated Shaw, tonnes of our fans adore him.
Managers have sold many a great player in the past, from De Bruyne, to Robben, to Cantona.
Kompany and the transfer team likely think their CB options are good regardless of De Ligt, and with Kim & Upamecano they are. Likely then they prefer to give the ok to sell De Ligt and reduce a huge wage bill in order to improve the areas in which they lack in quality and aren’t so stacked as they are at CB.

Exactly, that's the point. In German Bayern forums, such as this one https://www.transfermarkt.de/matthijs-de-ligt-4-/thread/forum/10/thread_id/1929305/page/387, there are heated discussions about the sale of De Ligt. The consensus among fans is that they are reluctant to let De Ligt go because he has consistently delivered good or solid performances. The reason the management is considering selling him is simply to reduce the wage structure, and De Ligt has a certain market value and is willing to leave the club. With Upamecano, Kim, Dier, and now Ito from Stuttgart, Bayern has enough options. De Ligt is good, he has minor weaknesses in build-up play, but overall he's a strong centre-back.

In my opinion, Manchester United is not making any mistake by signing him. Bayern, however, has other problem areas, such as defensive midfield (where they are likely to sign Palhinha), hence revenues are needed to strengthen the team overall. They are, for instance, still looking for a central midfielder, which will also be costly.

In summary: The sale of De Ligt has less to do with his performance and more with reducing wage costs and financing other players. Additionally, Bayern still has enough good center-backs.

Reactions: roonster09
struggling to tell if half these posts are sarcastic. I know @Leftback99 will peddle a negative agenda throughout every thread just because he's pissed off, but unsure on the others :lol:

Exactly, that's the point. In German Bayern forums, such as this one https://www.transfermarkt.de/matthijs-de-ligt-4-/thread/forum/10/thread_id/1929305/page/387, there are heated discussions about the sale of De Ligt. The consensus among fans is that they are reluctant to let De Ligt go because he has consistently delivered good or solid performances. The reason the management is considering selling him is simply to reduce the wage structure, and De Ligt has a certain market value and is willing to leave the club. With Upamecano, Kim, Dier, and now Ito from Stuttgart, Bayern has enough options. De Ligt is good, he has minor weaknesses in build-up play, but overall he's a strong centre-back.

In my opinion, Manchester United is not making any mistake by signing him. Bayern, however, has other problem areas, such as defensive midfield (where they are likely to sign Palhinha), hence revenues are needed to strengthen the team overall. They are, for instance, still looking for a central midfielder, which will also be costly.

In summary: The sale of De Ligt has less to do with his performance and more with reducing wage costs and financing other players. Additionally, Bayern still has enough good center-backs.
I wouldn’t call it a consensus. There’s plenty there who could live with a sale.

There must be a reason why de Ligt didn't get a minute in the Dutch team this Euro 2024.
I'm glad they are keeping Upamecano despite his frequent brain farts.
If he finally can stay focused and stop having these, he has higher ceiling than de Ligt. He is faster and has the better build up play.
He was pretty consistent for France throughout the tournament and played every minute. Not sure about Kim though. He was good until the Asian cup. After he confidence was shot.

There must be a reason why de Ligt didn't get a minute in the Dutch team this Euro 2024.
I'm glad they are keeping Upamecano despite his frequent brain farts.
If he finally can stay focused and stop having these, he has higher ceiling than de Ligt. He is faster and has the better build up play.
He was pretty consistent for France throughout the tournament and played every minute. Not sure about Kim though. He was good until the Asian cup. After he confidence was shot.
It's been mentioned in here, but it's tactical. Because of Dumfries pushing up so high, De Vrij is better suited to the RCB/RB role of a 3, where as De Ligt is better as a CB in a pair.

It's been mentioned in here, but it's tactical. Because of Dumfries pushing up so high, De Vrij is better suited to the RCB/RB role of a 3, where as De Ligt is better as a CB in a pair.
This, plus Koeman plays Weghorst over Zirkzee which is mind boggling. I get they're different stylistically but I am still confused at the marginal gain the former has that can vindicate being put on.

This, plus Koeman plays Weghorst over Zirkzee which is mind boggling. I get they're different stylistically but I am still confused at the marginal gain the former has that can vindicate being put on.
I think Weghorst is one of those players who you can see the impact of him being on the pitch easily. I think Zirkzee's impact is a litte more discreet, so leads to managers picking players like Weghorst more often. The quality difference is quite obvious though.

I think Weghorst is one of those players who you can see the impact of him being on the pitch easily. I think Zirkzee's impact is a litte more discreet, so leads to managers picking players like Weghorst more often. The quality difference is quite obvious though.
Put Weghorst in that Bologna side and they don't finish 5th like they did. Zirkzee is on a different level technically and that's what United need the most, our attack needs more technically sound players. We have all the pace but we lack the assured control and ability to hold on to the ball in key areas and Zirkzee can do that. A fit Martial could do this but he was never fit.

There is a keep de ligt petition on change.org which reads:

We all want Matthijs de Ligt to stay at FC Bayern Munich! He has proven that he‘s a world class defender, probably the best in our squad. There is a reason why he was elected as our best player in the 2022/23 season. Furthermore he is only 24 years old and has a bright future ahead, which he is going to use to fulfill his huge potential. Despite his young age, Mattha is already very mature and has a great mentality which will definitely make him a leading figure in defense and probably a competitor for captaincy in some years. His ability to speak English, German and Dutch fluently would help him a lot for that. With 19 years he already brought Ajax Amsterdam to the UCL semi finals as captain.

Selling Matthijs de Ligt would be an absolutely horrible decision and we would definitely regret it. That‘s why we use our voice to call attention that we will NOT make this mistake!

It has 68, 533 signatures so far!

The comments are literally all begging him to stay and saying it will be a huge mistake to lose him. Seems to be a general opinion of the fanbase. Sign him up!!!!

Last edited:

looks like this one is pretty much done, just a matter of time. Awesome to see.

Would expect us to sign one more CB, hopefully Yoro. But either way, I think De Ligt - Martinez could be a solid partnership. Just have to stay healthy ...

Matthijs de Ligt has made his decision: he definitely wants to leave FC Bayern and move to Manchester United. The defender has agreed a long-term contract with the English club. His agent Rafaela Pimenta is working with the clubs to close the deal. Negotiations are well advanced and an agreement is close.

De Ligt & Yoro would be ideal.

Those two aren't losing any air duels, imagine that and Martinez as a sweeper in the big games.

Status
Not open for further replies.