De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never listen to Scholes and Souness they just love moaning about everything we do. De Ligt will probably be 3rd CB when everyone is fit, if he gets in the first 11 even better cause it’ll mean he’s playing really well.

Martinez, Yoro & De Ligt is a very good CB option to have.

Honestly don't buy the "he failed at Juventus and Bayern" narrative. Their fans seem to think very highly of him, particularly Bayern's.

Head over to Reddit and look on the Bayern sub. Under the "what do you think of the decision to sell De Ligt?" thread the number one, most upvoted comment is "f*king pissed!". We already know they started a petition to stop the club selling him.

I'd say about 80% / 90% of the comments are saying he's a great "stopper", a natural leader and a better CB than Kim and Upamecano. Also they almost unanimously believe he's better than Tah. Many have labelled his sale as "horrendous mismanagement" from the Board.

Some more "glass half full" posters say he lacks pace and that Kompany wants Tah so they can play a much higher line. Others point to his struggles with injury last season and his high salary as justifiable reasons for selling. But even those posters putting forward these more balanced comments seem to agree he's a very good player and it's a huge shame.

I imagine Yoro will be eased into the team over the next few years and will have to play second fiddle to De Ligt for a while. It won't matter though because either he or Martinez will inevitably get injured at some point.
This is correct. Yoro needs to recover first and then compete. I don’t think he will need a few years to be eased in, though. I’d just leave a prediction here for fun - by end of this season, Yoro will be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Why we need Shaw to be CB when we have enough quality CB :lol: :lol:
Lindelof is the most likely shipping out player because he has one year contract left..
I know, therefore we need to ship one of the CB. I guess my text was a bit unclear, Shaw shall not leave :)

Yoro is going to play a lot. So will De Ligt. Yoro cost a ton of money. If you think that he's going to be mostly riding pine when he's fit then I have some sand to sell you. All 3 will play when fit. May see Martinez/Yoro moved out wide or Martinez moved into midfield to accomodate them all but if they are all fit, they will all play.

It’s fecking brilliant we have signed a proven top draw CB along with a talented CB this summer with no clear number 1! This is what brings out the best in players. Great job from the club.

Yoro is going to play a lot. So will De Ligt. Yoro cost a ton of money. If you think that he's going to be mostly riding pine when he's fit then I have some sand to sell you. All 3 will play when fit. May see Martinez/Yoro moved out wide or Martinez moved into midfield to accomodate them all but if they are all fit, they will all play.

Wrong, they won't.

Wrong, they won't.
Yes they will. You genuinely cannot be serious if you think the club have spent €50m+ on a player to have him sit on the bench mostly and be "bedded in." If he was fit he would have started in the shield and played on Monday night and he's going to play when he's fit. Period.

I feel like Yoro will act as back up to De Ligt and Martinez just like Varane was understudy to Ramos and Pepe for a few years, before really coming to the fore.

That’s not a bad position to be in at all. Three real quality centre backs with one very young, promising defender with heaps of potential. Obviously with injuries and various competitions, we’ll need to rotate heavily anyway.

I think Rio is positioning himself as Yoro’s mentor so his questioning of this signing is about siding with his boy and keeping his foot in the door there.
I don't think it is a good thing for Yoro and the club when he is entering to the Start XI directly..especially we need to compete somethings..
If he cannot adopt into the team as expected and as fast as possible..then we will still use Maguire at the back...again...

Hopefully he'll do well. Became a necessary signing once Yoro got injured. He'll start the season alongside Licha. A definite upgrade on Maguire, Lindelof and Evans. Once Yoro is fit again he'll be eased back in. The starter will probably be chosen based on performance at that stage, but I fully expect Yoro to be 1st choice by the end of the season, provided he can recover well from the injury.

I feel like Yoro will act as back up to De Ligt and Martinez just like Varane was understudy to Ramos and Pepe for a few years, before really coming to the fore.

That’s not a bad position to be in at all. Three real quality centre backs with one very young, promising defender with heaps of potential. Obviously with injuries and various competitions, we’ll need to rotate heavily anyway.
And with the EL there are so many games

Ten Hag rates De Ligt. He will play alongside Martinez when every defender fit.
It doesn’t matter if he rates him. What message will it send out to the rest of the squad if an inform players gets dropped for one of ETH favourites. For all we know it could be Maguire and De Ligt with Martinez playing more on the left again like he did against city. Which I hope doesn’t happen as he’s far better at CB.

Yes they will. You genuinely cannot be serious if you think the club have spent €50m+ on a player to have him sit on the bench mostly and be "bedded in." If he was fit he would have started in the shield and played on Monday night and he's going to play when he's fit. Period.

100% all three don't start very often together. If Shaw is fit he is the best player for the LB role and ETH likes Dalot at RB.

De ligt, despite concerns, is a good addition to the squad. He brings an element of physicality, aggression and composure. People keep talking about his lack of rapid speed but the most important area for a center back is ability to read the game. If you read the game well then you can snuff out danger before they expand further. This is something severely lacking in Maguire.

All the main starting center backs, and I mean Yoro, Martinez and De ligt bring something a little different and that's how you build a winning team. Now, the critical point is next, they must stay fit and build team chemistry.

Guehi at £65m or De Ligt at £38?

Do the math.
Do the math? Talk English man.
i wasn’t questioning the money I’m only asking is De Ligt as good as Guehi or better?
In the long run would Guehi be better? I’m just a bit pessimistic when it comes to these players who have played abroad been talked up and then turn up here and are not suited to the PL, we have a few of them already in Anthony and Sancho.

i wasn’t questioning the money I’m only asking is De Ligt as good as Guehi or better?
In the long run would Guehi be better? I’m just a bit pessimistic when it comes to these players who have played abroad been talked up and then turn up here and are not suited to the PL, we have a few of them already in Anthony and Sancho.
Also have Bruno, Martinez, and we've had many players come into the league from other leagues and absolutely rip it apart.

He's big, he's aggressive, he wins headers, he wins his ground duels, he's a threat from set pieces. Not every centre half who comes from a foreign league is Victor Lindelof.

He's much, much more of an old school "English football" centre back than Guehi is - who is barely 6ft, weak in the air, and more of a back foot, covering defender.

Maguire played his entire career in the English league before he was signed and we all know how that's turned out. Signing any player comes with risk, there's no guarantee of upsides. The scouts, coaches and analysts can evaluate everything but they cannot ascertain that a player will definitely take on the challenge or completely wilt.

What we know is that De ligt has the attributes, played at the top and performed. He recently played a prominent role in getting bayern to the semifinals of CL recently. This is his big chance - If he comes with confidence and the right mentality, he will do well.

Maguire played his entire career in the English league before he was signed and we all know how that's turned out. Signing any player comes with risk, there's no guarantee of upsides. The scouts, coaches and analysts can evaluate everything but they cannot ascertain that a player will definitely take on the challenge or completely wilt.

What we know is that De ligt has the attributes, played at the top and performed. He recently played a prominent role in getting bayern to the semifinals of CL recently. This is his big chance - If he comes with confidence and the right mentality, he will do well.
Hope so.

He's big, he's aggressive, he wins headers, he wins his ground duels, he's a threat from set pieces. Not every centre half who comes from a foreign league is Victor Lindelof.

He's much, much more of an old school "English football" centre back than Guehi is - who is barely 6ft, weak in the air, and more of a back foot, covering defender.
Now I like what you are saying but if he’s that good why on Earth are Bayern selling him and at such a relatively low price?

Now I like what you are saying but if he’s that good why on Earth are Bayern selling him and at such a relatively low price?
This has been rehashed so many times in this thread - practically every page. He is on big wages and Bayern want to reduce their wage bill while getting a fee so they could spend to strengthen other areas.

Just depends how good he actually is. I ask this, because Eric Dier was being picked ahead of him by Tuchel. If Bayern wanted him, Bayern keep him. This constant Ajax/Erividise/Dutch link for his signings, just puts ETH under pressure because it looks like he's quite a restrained in the transfer market. Man Utd don't just buy Dutch players, it's looking a little daft.

INEOS will be looking closely, for sure.
Cmon man, this has been covered over and over again, in this thread, and elsewhere that for the majority of his Bayern games, Dier partnered De Ligt. And Bayern need to balance the books. He is on huge money and is a sellable asset. This stuff isn't difficult to check before posting nonsense.

All you were missing was some concerns about his injuries, and a "but his dad is fat" and you'd have got the full bingo.

this "they picked Dier over de Ligt" BS just needs to die. It simply didn't happen.

De Ligt started every CL knockout game bar two ... first leg against Lazio (Upamecano-Kim started, and failed), and first leg against Real (due to injury).

Status
Not open for further replies.