De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It just seems so strange to me that these people can have no pride. I mean how much money do you need? I would have thought/hoped that he would push his agents for a move so that he could be first choice somewhere else, but obviously he would have to accept a massive pay cut.
Oh well, this is the De Ligt thread and I am really happy that we are getting this guy, I think together with Yoro when he is fit again we will finally have a great defensive line that are able to withstand press.
Where's the pride in giving up on a dream of playing for United and potentially costing themselves millions in the process?

Pretty good signings, De Ligt has had a strange career already played for some massive clubs but not quite settled yet . Hopefully he can make his name here and become that defender we all thought he was going to be at Ajax . Still 24 but has loads of experience . Not seen much of Mazraoui . I was personally hoping for Kadıoğlu but with him being valued double what we paid for Mazraoui makes sense with all the PSR and FFp laws. Just hoping we still get two midfielders and we might actually be ready barring injuries.

Last edited:
Terrible signing. Maguire is better, he would have been City‘s best cb had they signed him. We are replacing our fan favourite with Bayern‘s reject.

Embarrassing post
What is embarrassing about it? De Ligt being in team of the season?

Hilarious how posters reply like this to factual posts. i'd understand it if it was to a wum post or a completely unreasonable post, but what you replied to is solely facts, so how can it be embarrassing?

Nah you don't have to get the police involved in general. If you were involved in causing an accident in any way you are legally required to exchange your contact data with anyone else involved - in this case, the owner of the parked car. If you do that, you can each go your way without getting police involved. And nope, writing it on a note that you pin to the car doesn't suffice, you have to make sure to personally exchange the data so it is certain that it reaches the other person. With a parked car of course that can be an issue, you don't know where the owner is and they might not come to their car for days. So if you can't find the owner quickly, that's where you're required to call the police to file a report asap.

If you don't do that, it is "Fahrerflucht". That is a pretty broad term in German law that applies any sort of "unallowed withdrawal from the place of the accident", whether you've just intentionally t-boned the car of your fomer employer, ran over their garden gnomes and then drove away, or in this case accidentially scratched another car in the parking lot and drove off. That's why the headlines aren't technically wrong, it's all the same offense in German law.
PS: It's not "Fahrerflucht" if the driver can believably convey that they did not notice that they caused an accident.
Ah I see, seems like a bad translation then really by the English press. In the UK a 'hit and run' means something very different, although they no doubt know that and know what they're doing...

Martinez will probably move as LB which means we'll have De Ligt, Yoro, Maguire and possibly Hermoso as CBs with Mazraoui and Dalot as RB. Its evident that we'll end a DM before the transfer window closes
I honestly don't think Martinez will play LB unless absolutely necessary. We might see it against Fulham if Shaw is still unfit and Mazraoui isn't ready, but beyond that I don't think so.

Hopefully everything gets done by the registration deadline to have him available for Friday.

Mcguire was getting treatment a few times yesterday , DeLigt needs to be on standby or straight into the first 11.

I honestly don't think Martinez will play LB unless absolutely necessary. We might see it against Fulham if Shaw is still unfit and Mazraoui isn't ready, but beyond that I don't think so.

Time will tell. All I can say is that its common to have converted CBs as LB (Gvardiol, White, TImber), ETH used it at Ajax (Blind) and despite both our LBs are perma crocks we've yet to sign a LB.

I think the De Ligt-Yoro will be in the center of controversy for years to come. Rio played a huge part in Yoro's signing hence he'll probably get support from the ex players, the overlap and their allies (SP etc). De Ligt is believed to be competing for his place, he's considered an ETH's man and has the United's SEG support who are miffed for not being invited on the overlap and Rio had never bothered talking to Mark Goldie.

I am saying that as a warning to people who might follow those channels and anyone involved. Take everything with a pinch of salt

Where's the pride in giving up on a dream of playing for United and potentially costing themselves millions in the process?
Perhaps there is some pride involved in knowing that the club has just bought 2 players to play in your favoured position thereby showing you that they do not believe that you are good enough.

Perhaps there is some pride involved in knowing that the club has just bought 2 players to play in your favoured position thereby showing you that they do not believe that you are good enough.
Personally I'd try prove the wrong rather than give up and take a pay cut at the same time. Different mentality to you obviously.

Please can someone share Videos of him actually defending?

Time will tell. All I can say is that its common to have converted CBs as LB (Gvardiol, White, TImber), ETH used it at Ajax (Blind) and despite both our LBs are perma crocks we've yet to sign a LB.
Gvardiol is very tall and quick though, Martinez is neither of those things. I know it seems to be the fashion to go with 4 CBs in the backline but I personally hope we never see it at United.

Glad we’re getting this over the line.

So far all the signings look like they’ll gradually help us to raise the bar. Which is a sensible approach.

No more charging around like madmen looking for the magic fix, irrespective of cost or logic.

The ‘instant success’ crowd might not like it but this is the way

Didn't follow him closely. Just watched some of his highlights and he seem to have a rather good shot on goals. Something that we haven't really seen with our CBs since Rio. Blind to a certain extent but he wasn't really a pure natural CB. Hopefully that gives us some additional goal threats and variation in attacks.

Personally I'd try prove the wrong rather than give up and take a pay cut at the same time. Different mentality to you obviously.
Ah so you would take the easy money and be happy to not get a game and lose your spot in the England team. Yes we clearly have a different mentality.

Ah so you would take the easy money and be happy to not get a game and lose your spot in the England team. Yes we clearly have a different mentality.
If that's your comprehension from that then yeah. Loser mentality you have.

Martinez, Yoro, De Ligt and Maguire is probably the best selection of center backs we have had for a decade. The last time we were this sorted was when we had Rio, Vidic, Evans and Wes. Of course, none of our current options come close to Rio or Vidic currently.

I think you can't have it both ways. If playing for United is special, an honour and a privilege you can't really argue if a player is genuinely trying to fight for his place.

Gvardiol is very tall and quick though, Martinez is neither of those things. I know it seems to be the fashion to go with 4 CBs in the backline but I personally hope we never see it at United.

Height is more of an issue as a CB then as a LB and its precisely why I can see Martinez moving as LB. Pace is a concern. Gvardiol is indeed faster (33.92km/h vs 31.2km/h) but Blind wasn't exactly the quickest and a converted FB doesn't need to be the quickest either. He'll be slotting as a CB to provide more beef to the defense when Dalot goes forward.

The idea of it being a problem that De Ligt and Yoro might have to compete for the same spot is gloriously quaint. There are just so many games per season, and more importantly so many periods of fixture congestion, that rotation not only becomes desirable; it is necessary. So right off the bat, everyone will get enough games.

Second point is related to the obvious; injuries. They are inevitable, and seemingly more inevitable at United than anywhere else. So having options is essential. I’ll worry about having too many quality options back there, the day we actually go through a season without one or more CB being out for a decent period. That’s a problem I would gleefully have.

Thirdly, it’s about versatility. The idea that the same line up is most suitable for every game is, again, quaint. Putting aside the issue of playing Saturday - Thursday - Sunday several times a season, and the obvious need to rotate through those three games; we also have the issue of different opponents and settings requiring different approaches. A home match against Fulham, par example, might just necessitate a different approach to an away match at City.

Our new options allow us to play two cbs, Martinez and De Ligt, with great ball progression and have two full backs bombing forwards providing width in Dalot and Shaw. But we may want to switch that up, and have Mazraoui come in to the left to tuck into DM. Or go for a more solid look with more recovery pace and aerial ability, by playing Yoro and De Ligt at CB, and having Martinez operate as an inverted LB and auxiliary CB. It’s all about options.

We know over the course of the season that we will need four quality CBs to compete. That’s a given. We also know that at any given time we’ll be lucky if three of the four are fully fit. Martinez, De Ligt, Yoro, and Maguire is as good of a quartet (with Evans in reserve) as I have seen at United since the days of Fergie. It’s a wonderful spread of ages and profiles too. No nonsense types, ball players and stoppers, recovery pace and covering, aerial dominance etc. One is a young prodigy, two are in or entering their prime, and one is highly experienced and mature.

All in all, very happy with the signing and what it means for the squad.

With our luck, I bet he will pick up an injury during the medical.

That being said, I’m excited for this one. Think he’ll fit in well in the league

Not sure how many hundreds of Bayern Munich fans need to come into the thread on a daily basis and tell people this is absolutely not true and that he was always first choice there when fit before people stop peddling this.
Not true. There was a time last season were Upamecano and Kim were first choice. During that period there were also some discussions in the media about his role. He got back into the first team by the end of the season because Kim and Upamecano were totally out of form.

Status
Not open for further replies.