De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who the feck cares what Rio or Scholes might think ?
Both have terrible views on the game, which is weird because they were both so, so good.

Havent read what Rio said but sounds odd if he criticized the De Ligt signing.

exactly this.

It's also tremendously stupid. We need to continue to build CB depth, especially given that our CBs have been extremely injury-prone. And even before Yoro's injury, it would have been unfair to pressure an 18-year-old into a starting spot right away. Lindelöf is entering his final contract year and might still leave, Maguire is not going to be around for much longer either. Adding another option is a no-brainer, and we're getting a 24-year-old with a solid resume for a very decent price.

De Ligt / Martinez pairing looks promising. Yoro can learn and fill in when necessary.

I cant wait for the De Ligt Performanced thread in a couple of months.. Very little on here are as stoked as they should be..

The way you're talking about all of these guys you'd think we'd have set defensive records in recent seasons when the truth is whenver Varane/Martinez has been out it's been shaky at best and a calamity more often than not.
It’s not really true. If we look at PL the last two seasons, results have not been great when Varane and Martinez played together.

Agree. Both of them were amazing ballers for us, and both of them are genuined United fans, but as pundits they mostly talk shit.

I am grateful for this: "New Manchester United signing Leny Yoro has revealed that club legend Rio Ferdinand helped convince him to sign for the Red" because Yoro seems like a signing that will be great for us for many years, but doesn't mean we should care what they think about everything

De Ligt / Martinez pairing looks promising. Yoro can learn and fill in when necessary.
Well, obviously Yoro is out for at least 3mo, but once he is back I am certain Yoro will start ahead of De Ligt more often than not. However, you need equally great 4 CBs to compete, this is not a position where you can afford to have great starters and big dropoff for plan B.

Also, the wonderful thing about De Ligt is that at Juventus he got equally capable of playing left, right, and central CB (in a back-3), meaning he can easily play in Martinez OR Yoro positions.

Prediction, DeLigt and Yoro will be the client we’ve got to Vidic - Rio, and may go on to be even better. Martinez will eventually not be first choice.

Not talking straight away, I’m talking about when we’re looking back on their careers.

It seems to never end well with Argentinians at our club. Years ago Heinze was the clear cut first choice and a huge fan favourite until Evra came along…perhaps the same fate awaits Martinez.

Height is more of an issue as a CB then as a LB and its precisely why I can see Martinez moving as LB. Pace is a concern. Gvardiol is indeed faster (33.92km/h vs 31.2km/h) but Blind wasn't exactly the quickest and a converted FB doesn't need to be the quickest either. He'll be slotting as a CB to provide more beef to the defense when Dalot goes forward.
Blind could probably get away with it in the Eredivisie. Even for United his best performances were at CB.

We'll see, but I don't think it'll be a permanent thing. EtH still wants that left footed LCB whenever possible, and Martinez is the only one who can offer that right now. I think it's also a lot easier to box him in at LB, we saw that a few times in the first half yesterday.

It seems to never end well with Argentinians at our club. Years ago Heinze was the clear cut first choice and a huge fan favourite until Evra came along…perhaps the same fate awaits Martinez.
It wasn't just Evra coming along that made Heinzes popularity sink like a stone, tbf

If our defenders stayed fit (lolz) we could even see the possibility of Martinez or even Lindelof as back up holding midfielder. I think both are good enough on the ball to try it in a non meaningful game, see what happens. We're a bit short if Casemiro is injured

If our defenders stayed fit (lolz) we could even see the possibility of Martinez or even Lindelof as back up holding midfielder. I think both are good enough on the ball to try it in a non meaningful game, see what happens. We're a bit short if Casemiro is injured
Do you think Lindelof is a good ball playing defender?

I'm assuming the AWB hold-up only affects Mazraoui but not De Ligt..?

Most reports have mentioned only the Mazraoui deal is dependent. The only thing that makes me think there is a slight chance it affects both, is that the 12m profit the club is getting from AWB sale is the exact amortized amount for the Bayern pair. Especially since both were agreed at the same time.

Amazing to see us actually signing players like this.

I think the current board can get us competing again

I cant wait for the De Ligt Performanced thread in a couple of months.. Very little on here are as stoked as they should be..
I'm buzzing.

I think there are some people in here who just revel in misery. We could sign prime Messi, Lewandowski and Ronaldinho and you'd find some bedwetter moaning that Danny Welbeck isn't going to get enough minutes.

Screenshot-2024-08-12-06-56-33-25-8a6ce7ef6b1c5341b022b20d7fbb4b6e.jpg

Fluent in German and Italian. He makes it a point to learn the language within months. Intelligent guy. The type of characters we need.

Also remember meeting him at the cinema, he took his younger sister with him. Captain material.

Fluent in German and Italian. He makes it a point to learn the language within months. Intelligent guy. The type of characters we need.

Also remember meeting him at the cinema, he took his younger sister with him. Captain material.

He is a fluent English speaker though

Really a no brainer transfer for the price. Good age, ok on the ball, physical and aggressive, leadership qualities. Might lack a bit of top end speed, but much more mobile than Maguire, worst case scenario is he backs up Yoro and Martinez to a very high level.

He is a fluent English speaker though

Yes, he will likely not have to do an English course.

Most Dutch people speak English quite well, it's emphasised a lot in all stages of education.

Could we see Martinez playing more at left back once Yoro is back? Shaw is guaranteed to be out for half the season given his dire injury record. Which is frustrating as when he's 100 per cent he is a big asset.

Could we see Martinez playing more at left back once Yoro is back? Shaw is guaranteed to be out for half the season given his dire injury record. Which is frustrating as when he's 100 per cent he is a big asset.

I hope not, I didn't like the look of him there much against City. I don't think just because you're good on the ball you suddenly become more positionally versatile. And I don't think just because a CB is short he's going to work as a FB. At CB Martinez looks like he owns the pitch, whether defending or attacking. At FB he looked trapped against the touchline, and looked like he was struggling to visualise the game the way he normally does. He looked rattled.

I hope not, I didn't like the look of him there much against City. I don't think just because you're good on the ball you suddenly become more positionally versatile. And I don't think just because a CB is short he's going to work as a FB. At CB Martinez looks like he owns the pitch, whether defending or attacking. At FB he looked trapped against the touchline, and looked like he was struggling to visualise the game the way he normally does. He looked rattled.

While I agree with the general point, it’s worth remembering that Saturday was his first game back from preseason. Making definitive judgements on his ability in the position off the back of his first knock back is probably premature. He’d have likely looked a bit rusty and off the pace at CB too.

Status
Not open for further replies.