De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheaper than Branthwaite, considering the difference between pounds and euros.

Everton wanted £70m for Branthwaite and apparently turned down a £50m bid. We're getting both De Ligt and Mazraoui for £51m, potentially rising to £60m.

'Everton officials are surprised that United have paid less money for a more experienced and better quality player'

I wonder how Maguire will feel about his future at Manchester United once this deal goes through
The same? We were openly selling him last season but he insisted on hunkering down to earn that giant payoff at the end of his contract. This is our last season with Maguire regardless of the De Ligt signing. The club is simply planning ahead.

I wonder how Maguire will feel about his future at Manchester United once this deal goes through
He knows his time here is over, usually a players valued at their clubs don't go into the final years of their contracts without fresh negotiates.

He should be proud that for a limited player as he is, he somehow played for Manutd.

'Everton officials are surprised that United have paid less money for a more experienced and better quality player'
no way, were us the source for that :lol:

The same? We were openly selling him last season but he insisted on hunkering down to earn that giant payoff at the end of his contract. This is our last season with Maguire regardless of the De Ligt signing. The club is simply planning ahead.
To be fair, it was obvious that Maguire still had a fair chance of playing a lot last season. He would have been confident that if he could get back into form he'd move back into third choice, and the two players ahead of him both had injury problems. Which is exactly what happened and he ended up playing a lot (I think the most out of all our central defenders?).

Now he's down to 4th choice which is a bit different. Of course, all three of the players ahead of him still have question marks over their injury records, so some things never change and is why he'll probably be happy to stick around. I do tend to think he'd be more open to leaving if it was obvious that he wouldn't play much, even though he'd probably lose some money.

To be fair, it was obvious that Maguire still had a fair chance of playing a lot last season. He would have been confident that if he could get back into form he'd move back into third choice, and the two players ahead of him both had injury problems. Which is exactly what happened and he ended up playing a lot (I think the most out of all our central defenders?).

Now he's down to 4th choice which is a bit different. Of course, all three of the players ahead of him still have question marks over their injury records, so some things never change and is why he'll probably be happy to stick around. I do tend to think he'd be more open to leaving if it was obvious that he wouldn't play much, even though he'd probably lose some money.
He was willing to leave if the club paid off his loyalty bonus and remaining excess wages.

This season is especially when he'll stay on. At 31 I would too. This is his last season at a big club and he'd get a lovely sign on fee at his next. No major international tournament either.

Be nice to him, he is a great guy. He didn’t live up to the hype (yet) but is a good to great CB that United supporters will love.

Martinez will probably move as LB which means we'll have De Ligt, Yoro, Maguire and possibly Hermoso as CBs with Mazraoui and Dalot as RB. Its evident that we'll end a DM before the transfer window closes
What about a back 3?

Be nice to him, he is a great guy. He didn’t live up to the hype (yet) but is a good to great CB that United supporters will love.
Have a feeling he will become fan favourite by the end of the season.

Wanted him when it was clear he was leaving Juventus. Not quite as enthusiastic about him now but I think he could be a big player for us if we can keep him fit and establish him alongside Martinez. We need his personality as much as his skill set.

He knows his time here is over, usually a players valued at their clubs don't go into the final years of their contracts without fresh negotiates.

He should be proud that for a limited player as he is, he somehow played for Manutd.
He'll play plenty this season, Yoro is realistically not going to be in the team much before Xmas. Martinez is injury prone, and isn't going to play 55 games season.
He played 31 times last season all up, I don't think he'll fall much under that this year. If we have a good season, he'll be part of it.

Not his biggest fan but from purely business standpoint this is a good deal (£38mil payed over 3 years) . Hope we were able to negotiate down his wages a bit.

It just seems so strange to me that these people can have no pride. I mean how much money do you need? I would have thought/hoped that he would push his agents for a move so that he could be first choice somewhere else, but obviously he would have to accept a massive pay cut.
Oh well, this is the De Ligt thread and I am really happy that we are getting this guy, I think together with Yoro when he is fit again we will finally have a great defensive line that are able to withstand press.

Everton fans being offended that we both did and didn’t sign their best player is one of this windows highlights for me.

He'll play plenty this season, Yoro is realistically not going to be in the team much before Xmas. Martinez is injury prone, and isn't going to play 55 games season.
He played 31 times last season all up, I don't think he'll fall much under that this year. If we have a good season, he'll be part of it.
Sorry mate, but how do you call Martinez injury prone? It’s not like he picks up loads of niggling little injuries. His last one was because of a stupid lump falling on his knee. I’d say he’s had a bit of bad luck with the injuries he’s had, rather than being injury prone.

Everton fans being offended that we both did and didn’t sign their best player is one of this windows highlights for me.

Said it before. We need to slap these twats back down.

Like when Newcastle quoted us £50m for Longstaff and then asked for Lingard on loan and we quoted them £20m loan fee :lol:

We need to stop being soft with them.

It just seems so strange to me that these people can have no pride. I mean how much money do you need? I would have thought/hoped that he would push his agents for a move so that he could be first choice somewhere else, but obviously he would have to accept a massive pay cut.
Oh well, this is the De Ligt thread and I am really happy that we are getting this guy, I think together with Yoro when he is fit again we will finally have a great defensive line that are able to withstand press.
Pride might be what’s keeping him here. When he leaves, it will be a step down in terms of club stature. Supporters often ask how much money these players need, I did the same when Henderson moved to Saudi, but it’s a short career and if you can set your family up for life, you’d do it too. He’s at the back end of his career and finances become as important as legacy, ambition and personal fulfilment

Sorry mate, but how do you call Martinez injury prone? It’s not like he picks up loads of niggling little injuries. His last one was because of a stupid lump falling on his knee. I’d say he’s had a bit of bad luck with the injuries he’s had, rather than being injury prone.
Just going by the stats. In his 3 years at Ajax he played 24,26,& 24 league matches. I don't know for sure all the reasons, but he missed 10 league matches a year, every year there. He's missed half the league games in his time here too. I know the last injury was unfortunate, and would love for him to stay fit but over his 6 seasons in Europe, he's missed nearly 70 league games.

Just going by the stats. In his 3 years at Ajax he played 24,26,& 24 league matches. I don't know for sure all the reasons, but he missed 10 league matches a year, every year there. He's missed half the league games in his time here too. I know the last injury was unfortunate, and would love for him to stay fit but over his 6 seasons in Europe, he's missed nearly 70 league games.

You didn't need to guess. Transfermkt is good for this type of stuff. He only had one long term injury before coming to United which caused him to miss 10 games.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lisandro-martinez/verletzungen/spieler/480762

I will never, at any point in time, have any problems with players wanting to remain at a club to force them to respect the contracts they both signed.

Maguire might have wanted to leave if he thought he would barely play at all. But if he thinks he'll still play quite a lot, plenty of players would prefer to play 25 games for Man Utd on higher wages than 40 games for a mid-table team on lower wages.

Just putting it down to wages by itself and saying he has no pride is quite unfair. Especially as he was probably proven right to do so last season.

Martinez, deLigt, Yoro, Maguire and Evans is some serious CB department! Quality and depth, good mix of experience, youth and prime. They will be a great base of our play. FB of Shaw, Dalot, Mazraoui, (Malacia) and Amass also looks quality, if at least two of the first 3 can stay fit for large parts of the season.

No chance is a fit De Ligt 3rd choice to be fair. Yoro will rightfully start off as the 3rd CB, he’s an 18 year old, and whilst a super talent, he shouldn’t be expected to be a guaranteed starter. We’ll have injuries as always and each of the 3 main CBs will likely start 40 games this season.
Why no chance, rightfully or wrongly he has been third choice for club and country behind far weaker centre backs than Yoro. I agree injuries could well give all three plenty of games anyway but disagree, Yoro isnt an ermerging teenager with lots of ability....like Neves and Mainoo he is a teenager who has come through and put out pretty much a full season of being possibly thebest player at his club, one of the best in his league and stats comparable with the gretplayers in his position in Europe...So "no chance" is really not the right statement in my opinion. With a big injury he is going to get eased in probably but it reallycouldbeeither of them next year when all are fit....Martinez is the guaranteed starter for me

Prediction, DeLigt and Yoro will be the client we’ve got to Vidic - Rio, and may go on to be even better. Martinez will eventually not be first choice.

Not talking straight away, I’m talking about when we’re looking back on their careers.

Last edited:
Prediction, DeLigt and Yoro will be the client we’ve got to Vidic - Rio, and may go o to be even better. Martinez will eventually not be first choice.,
De Ligt and Yoro better than arguably the best CB pairing in EPL history? Vidic and Ferdinand are both individually easily in the Top 5 CBs of the premier league era and most people will claim that one of them is in the number one spot and on top of that as a partnership they were greater than the sum of their parts. It’s a bold claim if ever I saw one.

De Ligt and Yoro better than arguably the best CB pairing in EPL history? Vidic and Ferdinand are both individually easily in the Top 5 CBs of the premier league era and most people will claim that one of them is in the number one spot and on top of that as a partnership they were greater than the sum of their parts. It’s a bold claim if ever I saw one.
Like I said it’s a prediction. I’m not talking about right now. Records and legends are there to be bettered.

Prediction, DeLigt and Yoro will be the client we’ve got to Vidic - Rio, and may go on to be even better. Martinez will eventually not be first choice.

Not talking straight away, I’m talking about when we’re looking back on their careers.
You’ve given me an idea for a thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.