De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we can agree decent wage then this is no brainer.

People need to chill regarding ETH. He is our manager and his preference cant be just ignored. But it does not mean this is just that

I have a feeling this will happen, to be honest. At least a decent, potentially a great RCB option if we can get him for a reasonable fee, and it would allow us to add one more centre back this summer.
We need 2 regardless and his wages would be high, but we need a big, dominant starter CB to build that pairing with Martinez. He fits the bill and is a no brainer. The depth CBs is where things get weird and depends on who stays or leaves.

I don't watch him a lot but was under the impression that he wasn't very quick. Is that right?

Could be a concern if so as Martinez isn't very quick himself

We need 2 regardless and his wages would be high, but we need a big, dominant starter CB to build that pairing with Martinez. He fits the bill and is a no brainer. The depth CBs is where things get weird and depends on who stays or leaves.

Yeah, we need two, and if Branthwaite is looking unlikely, getting in someone like de Ligt early also allows us to relax a bit IMO as we won't look desperate when we go for the 2nd CB, because we will have already added one to the squad.

Of course £350k or so wages have to be a no go, if thats an accurate figure. When has anyone on a mega contract with us done well?

They could negotiate this as part of the fee. He has 3 (?) more years at Bayern. Say we give him 200k p/w. That's a 150k p/w difference for 3 years (~24M). Reduce the fee to Bayern by that amount.

Would worry about his pace and suitability for this league and a high line which we need to adopt full time. Has expensive mistake written all over it, I hope Bayernake the deal difficult to save us from ourselves. Not feeling this one bit.

I'm all for this. Right center back, still young but tons of experience and a leader, physical has all the traits we need in that role... Negative would be kind of an injury concern? But profile wise he absolutely fits next to Martinez.

His wages could be a little bit on the high side... that is a negative.

However the 40m isnt that expensive for a good defender who is only 24 years old and still has massive grow potential. Paying Everton 70m for Branthwaite and paying the player 100k a week isnt 'cheaper'

He's on around 350k per week apparently. Also shouldn't we be learning from those mistakes?

He's on 260k GBP and I read that his base salary is way lower and that his max wages are tied to several milestones.

I think he's like a more modern Maguire, more or less. A little bit slow at twisting and turning but his recovery pace is actually absolutely fine.
Wants to play in a high line. Front foot defender. Great character. A true leader.

Not playing in the euros is actually a good thing in regards to his value. 50mil € would be fair.

Funny how many complaints are coming in, we’re shite & have an insane amount of shite on our books.
I’d be absolutely delighted if ETH got his entire Ajax crew back here as they go into their peaks, because he’s proven he can manage them and has proven he’s shit at managing us.
So the more of his Ajax team the better.

Important to note that Ornstein says De Ligt is independent to the Branthwaite move which again confirms that we're after two centre backs.
I’d still guess it’s a negotiating position with Everton. I don’t see us committing £100m or so on two centre halves - one of whom won’t play if we stick with two at the back - this early in the window when there are still huge holes in the squad, unless we’ve got deals lined up for the likes of Maguire and Lindelof.

I'm not sure Ornstein would report something like this and also claim the interest is serious, if that was the case.
The thing is telling Ornstein that we're actually just giving you this information to show Everton that we have alternatives would kind of defeat the purpose of it.

It's interesting that the Bayern fans on here seem to really like him because whenever I've seen him (admittedly for the most part in the Champions League) he's looked like he's got the turning circle of the Titanic, very heavy on his feet. That's a good sign that they rate him highly.

I'd be very surprised if this was in addition to Branthwaite though, I don't see how we have the money for that unless sales are progressing better than it appears, but it's good to at least have alternatives I guess because it seems like there's a massive gap in valuations between United and Everton.

They could negotiate this as part of the fee. He has 3 (?) more years at Bayern. Say we give him 200k p/w. That's a 150k p/w difference for 3 years (~24M). Reduce the fee to Bayern by that amount.
100%, that's the way to approach it.

Even if we are after 2 CBs this summer as is reported, there's a lot of choice out there at the moment. We don't need to go all in for any one target. We can afford to negotiate hard.

His wages could be a little bit on the high side... that is a negative.

However the 40m isnt that expensive for a good defender who is only 24 years old and still has massive grow potential. Paying Everton 70m for Branthwaite and paying the player 100k a week isnt 'cheaper'
Yeah. De ligt and branthwaite are the same type of CB, de ligt if anything fits better given our RCB hole and he is more proven, a few years older. Big wages, but he's also done well at the top level for years now so it's to be expected. And this would be his prime years move/contract, not giving big wages to a young player who is unproven and just starting out.

Funny how many complaints are coming in, we’re shite & have an insane amount of shite on our books.
I’d be absolutely delighted if ETH got his entire Ajax crew back here as they go into their peaks, because he’s proven he can manage them and has proven he’s shit at managing us.
So the more of his Ajax team the better.

The fallacy in this argument is that the Ajax crew, if all reunited, would necessarily reproduce the form of 5 seasons ago. They might, but these are all different players now. Take Donny Van De Beek...he's now not even a shadow of the footballer he was at Ajax. Nor De Ligt. Maybe ETH could turn all that around, but it seems unlikely.

Here's what some Bayern fans are saying over in their forum:

"I would have though with Kompany being an aggressive ball winning defender, De Ligt would have been a no brainer to plan around. I honestly think the board told him to plan with other players because they are going to sell him, there’s no other reasonable explanation"

"Tah is supposed to replace de Ligt"
I feel like I am in the wrong movie.
If this is the start to your time at Bayern Eberl, hats off. Selling de Ligt, keeping Davies. Maybe the club is too big for him."

"He's 24 years old, which is still young for a CB, already a leader in the team, and maybe he's never putting on 10/10 performances, he's always extremely solid and never terrible, unlike Kim and Upa, who might have more potential. But also way more brainfarts than anyone else."

"It’s hard for me to imagine any realistic scenario in which we sell De Ligt and the team is appreciably improved in the immediate future as a direct result."

"If we sell De Ligt to save a few $$ or whatever it means we are a club with no ambition beyond the Bundesliga anymore."

"We can't sell our best cb. Period"

^ So lets stop pretending he's not good for Bayern, or that he's some flop for Bayern, shall we?

I do think de Ligt would become a fan favorite here if he signed and performed.

He is a smart well spoken guy, a leader and captain material. He also loves to duel with attackers like how proper those oldschool 'proper' centre backs (this is very important for many people here) used to duel with strikers. He doesnt have Martinez his ability on the ball but coming from the Ajax youth he isnt useless on the ball either. From attacking corners he loves to come up with important goals (almost had another one this season in the CL for example) and he isnt anything like the hated modern footballer type. He is very boring outside of football. He doesnt even care about fashion as he was constantly named as worst dressed player when they asked question to his teammates from our national team. That should appeal to the fans here :lol:

I do think de Ligt would become a fan favorite here if he signed and performed.

He is a smart well spoken guy, a leader and captain material. He also loves to duel with attackers like how proper those oldschool 'proper' centre backs (this is very important for many people here) used to duel with strikers. He doesnt have Martinez his ability on the ball but coming from the Ajax youth he isnt useless on the ball either. From attacking corners he loves to come up with important goals (almost had another one this season in the CL for example) and he isnt anything like the hated modern footballer type. He is very boring outside of football. He doesnt even care about fashion as he was constantly named as worst dressed player when they asked question to his teammates from our national team. That should appeal to the fans here :lol:
Sounds quite like Harry Maguire from this description.

The fallacy in this argument is that the Ajax crew, if all reunited, would necessarily reproduce the form of 5 seasons ago. They might, but these are all different players now. Take Donny Van De Beek...he's now not even a shadow of the footballer he was at Ajax. Nor De Ligt. Maybe ETH could turn all that around, but it seems unlikely.

He did state those players would be in their peak.... but i wouldnt want that Ajax back four. That means we have to resign Daley Blind :lol:

This could just be a tactic to show Everton that Braithwaite is not our only option and they'll need to come down on their valuation or we'll step away.

Neither one fills me with excitement but I feel like INEOS want Braithwaite more.

I remember reading that he wanted out because he didn't like Allegri's tactics.
Sounds quite like Harry Maguire from this description.

I dont think that is a bad comparison besides that De Ligt is better at everything than Harry Maguire. He is also not as immobile as Harry Maguire and more of a leader. Maguire was playing in the championship at the age that de Ligt was captain of Ajax in the semi final of the CL for example. Maguire first became captain at Manchester United because a lack of better options.. not because he is an amazing leader in my opinion.

I think de Ligt is a much upgraded version of Harry Maguire.

We're bringing the entire dutch league to Manchester. Haven't you heard?

No. We are just taking over the Premier League. ETH at Manchester United signing Dutch players. Arne Slot going to Liverpool where already multiple Dutch players are. Hopefully Ronald Koeman will take over Manchester City when Pep leaves!

Bayern will squeeze as much as they can for him and he’s on a high salary. Yet another season of splurging on CBs, then

Here's what some Bayern fans are saying over in their forum:

"I would have though with Kompany being an aggressive ball winning defender, De Ligt would have been a no brainer to plan around. I honestly think the board told him to plan with other players because they are going to sell him, there’s no other reasonable explanation"

"Tah is supposed to replace de Ligt"
I feel like I am in the wrong movie.
If this is the start to your time at Bayern Eberl, hats off. Selling de Ligt, keeping Davies. Maybe the club is too big for him."

"He's 24 years old, which is still young for a CB, already a leader in the team, and maybe he's never putting on 10/10 performances, he's always extremely solid and never terrible, unlike Kim and Upa, who might have more potential. But also way more brainfarts than anyone else."

"It’s hard for me to imagine any realistic scenario in which we sell De Ligt and the team is appreciably improved in the immediate future as a direct result."

"If we sell De Ligt to save a few $$ or whatever it means we are a club with no ambition beyond the Bundesliga anymore."

"We can't sell our best cb. Period"

^ So lets stop pretending he's not good for Bayern, or that he's some flop for Bayern, shall we?
We've been so poor for so long I think our fans are going to cry bloody murder about any player with any sort of baggage or any small weakness. And if they've played for Ten Hag or in Netherlands then fecking look out :lol:

Until things improve on the pitch the fans (online at least) have lost all trust, apparently not even willing to give ineos any sort of leash.

It's interesting that the Bayern fans on here seem to really like him because whenever I've seen him (admittedly for the most part in the Champions League) he's looked like he's got the turning circle of the Titanic, very heavy on his feet. That's a good sign that they rate him highly.

I'd be very surprised if this was in addition to Branthwaite though, I don't see how we have the money for that unless sales are progressing better than it appears, but it's good to at least have alternatives I guess because it seems like there's a massive gap in valuations between United and Everton.

Juventus cashed in on him to Bayern after two seasons. Bayern are now cashing in on him after two seasons. Neither club are renowned for selling their best players, so why are both clubs selling him on when he's so young and meant to be so high profile. Warning signs should be flashing at red alert.

Bayern will squeeze as much as they can for him and he’s on a high salary. Yet another season of splurging on CBs, then
Yet another? Do we do that every year or something?

We need CB's what do you expect

Juventus cashed in on him to Bayern after two seasons. Bayern are now cashing in on him after two seasons. Neither club are renowned for selling their best players, so why are both clubs selling him on when he's so young and meant to be so high profile. Warning signs should be flashing at red alert.
The response is going to be in both cases it’s financial reasons, but that doesn’t make it sound much better. If he’s that good, both clubs would’ve been looking to keep him and move on other players.

Status
Not open for further replies.