De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems exactly the sort of big money signing we’ve made in the last 10 years that I was hoping we no longer would.

The response is going to be in both cases it’s financial reasons, but that doesn’t make it sound much better. If he’s that good, both clubs would’ve been looking to keep him and move on other players.

Exactly. He's a young vastly experienced CB, someone you should be building your team around if he was actually good, instead he's sold twice. We're going to sign the lad, he'll get injured and then people will bemoan our bad luck again. It's honestly hilarious at this point how stupid our club is.

Funny how many complaints are coming in, we’re shite & have an insane amount of shite on our books.
I’d be absolutely delighted if ETH got his entire Ajax crew back here as they go into their peaks, because he’s proven he can manage them and has proven he’s shit at managing us.
So the more of his Ajax team the better.

Who from that side is yet to reach their peak?

I will always mistrust any top club selling a big name player like this who doesn't seem to be pushing for the move, and still has a decent length of time to run on their contract, add in the fact it's Bayern, and that he's Dutch, then the red flags are screaming out.

Juventus cashed in on him to Bayern after two seasons. Bayern are now cashing in on him after two seasons. Neither club are renowned for selling their best players, so why are both clubs selling him on when he's so young and meant to be so high profile. Warning signs should be flashing at red alert.
He was at Juventus for three seasons. My understanding is he had a rough first six months, but after that he was good. They sold him because he wanted to leave and join a better team, he wasn't going to sign a new contract and only had two years left, so it was their last chance to get a decent amount of money which they could reinvest. An obvious decision especially as they were having financial difficulties at the time.

Bayern selling is obviously different, as it seems to be a club decision based on...well, something. The Bayern fans don't seem to be happy about it and say he has been their best defender, but maybe the club or the new manager simply want a different profile. Alternatively, they know something we don't (injuries?).

I will always mistrust any top club selling a big name player like this who doesn't seem to be pushing for the move, and still has a decent length of time to run on their contract, add in the fact it's Bayern, and that he's Dutch, then the red flags are screaming out.

Especially when you factor in they have Kim Min Jae and Upamechano, who haven't necessarily been great themselves.

Pretty sure this is just noise to show Everton we have alternatives.
I think we’ve got 35m set aside for a centre back, and we’re seeing who bites. We’ve offered that for Tobido, Branthwaite, De Ligt…

Who is considered to be more reliable regarding Bayern news between Falk and Plettenberg? The latter said they want €50m for him which is £42m. That's a very sensible asking price, but £60m is a no-go for me.
I think Plettenberg said 42m was our valuation of him not what Bayern wanted

I think we’ve got 35m set aside for a centre back, and we’re seeing who bites. We’ve offered that for Tobido, Branthwaite, De Ligt…
If all we've got is 35m I very much doubt we'd be stupid enough to start negotiating at that point

Feels like Ten Hag is still fully in control of recruitment policy at the club. Two more Dutch coaches and another one of his former players, you're not telling me this was Ineos' plan.

Feels like Ten Hag is still fully in control of recruitment policy at the club. Two more Dutch coaches and another one of his former players, you're not telling me this was Ineos' plan.

That's xenophobic

Im really surprised how bad you rate him.

Almost all Bayern fans would rather sell Upamecano and/or Kim and keep de Ligt.

Surely we're not going for this guy when there are so many other options around.

Have the new management not learned anything from these type of players? You don't buy Madrids or Bayerns rejects, they're selling for a reason! There's no way Bayern would sell this guy, at his age, if he was still world class like a lot of people suggest he is. Not a chance.

So ask yourself why they are willing to let him go. I'm so, fekin done with players like this at our club. Wheres the new management system to stop this sort of shite happening again?

I guarantee, if we buy him he'll have 5 good games then get injured for 2 months, then another 5 games then injured for 3 months. He'll be another Bailey.

Don't fekin come near this guy with a barge pole, ffs United!! Learn!!!

The forum gets more and more irrational by the day but it's understandable given our current state. Until things change on the pitch the trust isn't there between club and fans.

He's a good player, just too slow. We need fast defenders so we can push higher up the pitch.

I haven't watched enough of him in the last few few years to speak with any authority about how good or not he is now, but he's always struck me as a player who wasn't overburdened by mobility and we should be trying to introduce some genuine pace at centre half.

You can't tell me that they interviewed other coaches only to bring him back without change and tell him crack on and buy any/all players he wants.

I wouldn’t want any of your CBs, if that helps. And that’s when our most reliable CB is a 36 year old Jonny Evans

I find it hilarious how the experts on here instantly dismiss him because Bayern wants to get rid of him, and Juventus got rid of him before, as if football clubs aren't run from a business perspective by people who make dumb decisions from a football fan's point of view.

You'll see Bayern fans on here, on Reddit and on their own forum being in agreement that he is their best defender and genuinely shocked to see him put on the market, but no, the "Bayern wants him out so he's shit" argument just weighs so much it's impossible to see through it.

He is an excellent defender, and I think the only downside with him is that he is a bit slow on the turn and a bit injury prone. Other than that, he is excellent defensively, great on the ball and actually offers an offensive threat. If we can get him for €40m, it's a no brainer, really.

He is entering his prime and is a good to great CB. His wages are (very) high but Bayern is reasonable when it comes to fees.
It would suck to see him leave. He was Bayern‘s best defender last season. It seems Bayern wants/needs the fee and Kompany prefers other CBs.
I do think de Ligt would become a fan favorite here if he signed and performed.

He is a smart well spoken guy, a leader and captain material. He also loves to duel with attackers like how proper those oldschool 'proper' centre backs (this is very important for many people here) used to duel with strikers. He doesnt have Martinez his ability on the ball but coming from the Ajax youth he isnt useless on the ball either. From attacking corners he loves to come up with important goals (almost had another one this season in the CL for example) and he isnt anything like the hated modern footballer type. He is very boring outside of football. He doesnt even care about fashion as he was constantly named as worst dressed player when they asked question to his teammates from our national team. That should appeal to the fans here :lol:

How is he 1) aerially? 2) when being pressed? 3) the passes he makes when there are few options i.e does he panick or is he at least able to get it into feet to another team mate 4) does he switch the ball, get the ball fast to team mates when there are options? 5) a good penalty box defender? 6) does he press high and get caught out? 7) does he have a good sense of maturity in his game i.e not going too out all, not overcommitting etc? 8) how is his communication and organising of the defence?

Cheers :+1:

Whilst I would love for a Yoro-like talent, if that's not an option I feel at a minimum we need a replacement or get close to the things Varane brought us; someone who is an aerial juggernaut and a beast penalty box defender. I get the de Ligt and Branthwaite links. If they are decent and capable of passing out the back and progressive, then I'm fine if they can level us up defensively with the ground/aerial duels and strength in our own half.

It's literally the most obvious flop in the history of flops

Status
Not open for further replies.