De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How good is his recovery pace?

He's definitely a very good centre back, but whether he's tactically what we need, given the price, wage, and the guaranteed starter spot he'd demand, is the relevant question.

Not under the new regime, no
Do we even know who’s making the bids/selecting the targets? It’s only Big Jim and Jason Wilcox officially working at the club so far. What’s to say that the brains behind these bids aren’t the same ones that paid 86m for Antony?

Onana
Dalot - De Ligt - Martinez - Shaw
Ugarte - Mainoo
Amad - Bruno - Garnacho
Hojlund​

Seems exactly the sort of big money signing we’ve made in the last 10 years that I was hoping we no longer would.
Not really. We usually would sign either past it players that were looking for a good pay day before retirement, or players that have won everything and lost their motivation, but would come here because of high wages.

He neither of those 2 categories.

Do we even know who’s making the bids/selecting the targets? It’s only Big Jim and Jason Wilcox officially working at the club so far. What’s to say that the brains behind these bids aren’t the same ones that paid 86m for Antony?
Because Big Jim and Jason Wilcox weren't here when we paid 86m for Antony and the ones that were are no longer here?

Onana
Ugarte - Mainoo
Amad - Bruno - Garnacho
Hojlund​
Mid table.

Maguire is better than De Ligt.

Ugarte, who knows. I was told on here that Amrabat was the answer there last Summer.

That forward line is average at best, as we saw last season.

Mid table.

Maguire is better than De Ligt.

Ugarte, who knows. I was told on here that Amrabat was the answer there last Summer.

That forward line is average at best, as we saw last season.
I'm not saying he's a massive upgrade, but clearly de Ligt is notably better.

Bayern fans I know are telling me that he's their best centerback, actually not slow, not error-prone and that Bayern are stupid for selling him over Upa. Yet we have United fans here calling him worse than Maguire and a classic flop signing. Interesting.

I just don't get the strategy. Our defence sitting deep due to their lack of pace was a big issue last season so let's buy another slow defender.

Unless he is taking a major paycut and wants to play for as for less than 200K/week this is an absolutely horrible idea. Even then it doesn't feel right. There's 50/50 chance he won't work or even worse - be next Donny van de Beek, and then we are stuck with a player on astronomical salary that we cannot move

I thought we were supposed to be smarter than this

Onana
Ugarte - Mainoo
Amad - Bruno - Garnacho
Hojlund​
A recipe for continued mediocrity

There is a very real chance, Shaw and Martinez will be injured for most of the season, again. So if we don't plan for backups for them, we will be sitting here again, complaining about having nobody to play in defense. This is predictable, not a shocker, you have to prepare for predictable

That attack looks really weak. We wood struggle to score goals this season again
Amad, Garnacho and Hojlund have had a season under their belt. You have to assume next year they'll all be better. Especially Garnacho, who you'd think goes up another level.

Because Big Jim and Jason Wilcox weren't here when we paid 86m for Antony and the ones that were are no longer here?
Who’s sat in the room thrashing out bids for players this summer then?

Bayern fans are proper fuming in the replies and demanding at least €70-90m fees along with the Bayern fans on here not being too happy about selling him yet we have left, right and centre amongst us scuffing and the thought and thinking that we're too good for him :lol: :lol:

Cannot seem to fathom there’s a united team where midfield has way more effectiveness than front 3.

Feels like McFred has shifted from midfield to the forward line.

Feels like another low scoring season unless Rashford comes back to have one of those 20+ goals season, and the team clicks

Another concern is Shaw, he can’t be trusted to be 1st choice, his fitness is very patchy.

Onana
Ugarte - Mainoo
Amad - Bruno - Garnacho
Hojlund​

Bayern fans I know are telling me that he's their best centerback, actually not slow, not error-prone and that Bayern are stupid for selling him over Upa. Yet we have United fans here calling him worse than Maguire and a classic flop signing. Interesting.
According to those here Brantwaithe is another Maguire, De Ligt is worse than Maguire apparently too.Yoro is the only defender in the world that can play alongside Martinez apparently or some young CB from Salzburg or Boca Juniors that has good progressive passing stats. Anyone apart from who we actually want. Oh and btw, Zirkzee isn't that good and Ugarte is crap because PSG want rid. Our transfer window is in ruins, INEOS are the same as Ed and the Glazers.

Cannot seem to fathom there’s a united team where midfield has way more effectiveness than front 3.

Feels like McFred has shifted from midfield to the forward line.

Feels like another low scoring season unless Rashford comes back to have one of those 20+ goals season, and the team clicks

Another concern is Shaw, he can’t be trusted to be 1st choice, his fitness is very patchy.
Midfield is just more important.

Amad, Garnacho and Hojlund have had a season under their belt. You have to assume next year they'll all be better. Especially Garnacho, who you'd think goes up another level.
Hopefully. But it’s hard to assume that given the history of player development here

Who is considered to be more reliable regarding Bayern news between Falk and Plettenberg? The latter said they want €50m for him which is £42m. That's a very sensible asking price, but £60m is a no-go for me.
United value him at the 50, not Bayern is what Plettenberg wrote.

Well this has moved fast. All the reputable big hitters getting in on the action. I remember him being a frustratingly inconsistent player so if that’s been ironed out over the years, then great.

He's not. He's been on the bench all 3 games and has spoken about being disappointed not to start.

Another hugely expensive mistake waiting to happen.
Well didn't he just come back from injury? I'm not against not buying him, but nothing I've ever seen shows Maguire to be better.

I’d welcome his signing. Not liking the whole “considering” thing again. Can’t be arsed with any sagas.

I don't know anything about the injury situation with the player and that's up to Wilcox and co to establish what the situation is in that regard. But I think if we can get de Ligt for a reasonable transfer fee, then the wages wouldn't be too much of a issue imo.

He's technically a excellent player on the ball and has shown that he can play under pressure. I haven't seen him much at Bayern or previously at Juventus but from his spell at Ajax, it was very clear that he had great poise and composure on the ball as a young CB and I remember he was pretty good at defending the channel in a high line against Mbappe. Not the quickest player but knew how to use his body to great effect.

Branthwaite and Ugarte don't move the needle as far as in-possession play and I think de Ligt would raise the level in possession for us. I think it makes to sign him from a footballing perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.