De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think we should just pay what Bayern are asking and get this over with. £42m is more than fair for De Ligt. This guy is not some bum. Very rarely do players like him become available for cheap. He was in the team of the year the season before last and is one season of regular first choice minutes away from his price tag going back up again. I understand the whole value for money play wave given the way we have abused money for many years at the club but for certain players, you just need to pay the fee and bring them in. Especially when it is as reasonable as what Bayern are asking for and especially with how shaky our CB situation is.

To be fair (That was not intentional) I do not think we are going for 'fair' prices this summer. It seems we are going hard on trying to negotiate things down to what we are willing to pay. In the current climate I would say that what PSG wanted for Ugarte was fair as well, but we were evidently not interested at that price.

One thing is for sure. Ten Hag is not telling Fabrizio Romano what he thinks.

Just his usual adding spin to a story that he's got no inside track on.

I continue to have absolutely zero idea why the man gets so much cred to the point he s even being included in a videogame. Someone please tell me once and for all what makes Romano worth my previous minutes more than any other "journo" with the occasional inside track ?

Maybe United are just skint!

All these clubs holding out for United to splash the cash might be disappointed when the improved offers never arrive.

I continue to have absolutely zero idea why the man gets so much cred to the point he s even being included in a videogame. Someone please tell me once and for all what makes Romano worth my previous minutes more than any other "journo" with the occasional inside track ?

He is not the best source but as had been shown with some other deals he does have his sources and has broken news before the rest of the pack on a number of occasions. His popularity is because of the volume of posts, he covers every player and every deal and keeps the posts coming, a lot of them are just rehashing the same stuff over and over but none of his competitors posts more than occasionally so by default he has become your one stop shop for news during the window. He might not be first with everything but he will cover everything and that is what most people seem to be looking for.

“Update” he’s a bit of a joker at times
Or maybe he’s just casually said it as his opinion on a YouTube video and some aggregator, literally the one who’s tweeting it, has tried to make it a headline?

Leverkusen have apparently given Bayern a deadline of this weekend to agree a deal for Tah, could force them to lower their price for de Ligt.

He is not the best source but as had been shown with some other deals he does have his sources and has broken news before the rest of the pack on a number of occasions. His popularity is because of the volume of posts, he covers every player and every deal and keeps the posts coming, a lot of them are just rehashing the same stuff over and over but none of his competitors posts more than occasionally so by default he has become your one stop shop for news during the window. He might not be first with everything but he will cover everything and that is what most people seem to be looking for.

Put another way, Romano has found the magic formula to keep his followers addicted to his every word, however useless every word may be.

Doesn't seem likely that Mazraoui will happen now that AWB to West Ham is seemingly off. De Ligt is presumably still a possibility, but I wonder if the club might end up spending the money earmarked for him on a midfielder instead (assuming they cannot sell McTominay to fund the midfield purchase).

I think it’s so simple as he is very active, pretty transparent and shown himself to be fairly dependable. When he says something is close, it mostly turns out he was right, if he says it’s HWG, it has shown to be dependable. He’s often earlier than the most dependable other news outlets, while he is not going to say De Ligt to United Done Deal unless it’s actually going to happen.

Doesn't seem likely that Mazraoui will happen now that AWB to West Ham is seemingly off. De Ligt is presumably still a possibility, but I wonder if the club might end up spending the money earmarked for him on a midfielder instead (assuming they cannot sell McTominay to fund the midfield purchase).
There is no way the club go into the season without adding a central midfielder. In the worst case scenario it'll be Amrabat and in the best case scenario it'd be Ugarte. Berge lying somewhere closer to the Amrabat mark.

Best case scenario for us will be signing de Ligt on a loan with a buy option if Lindelof leaves.

Last edited:

Much like Elon Musk, he gained notoriety and respect in a fairly rapid period of time, established a fandom and is now held up as relevant by dickheads. The fellas a football gossip column and instead of sticking to what he knew, he looked at other accounts and people stepping into his space, he conceded integrity and accuracy to maintain a level of fame. And, again like Elon… he’s a twat and he’s always been one.

There is no way the club go into the season without adding a central midfielder. In the worst case scenario it'll be Amrabat and in the best case scenario it'd be Ugarte. Berge lying someone closer to the Amrabat mark.

Best case scenario for us will be signing de Ligt on a loan with a buy option if Lindelof leaves.

Yes, agreed. It seems that we were hoping to fund a midfield purchase with the sales of either Casemiro or McTominay and a versatile RB/LB purchase with the sale of AWB. It is looking increasingly like none of those sales will happen. There must be some surplus money left, which we were presumably planning to spend on De Ligt (whose purchase hasn't been reported as sales-dependent), but I think there's a reasonable chance that United now move the 'de Ligt budget' over to a midfield purchase instead (Sander Berge, perhaps) and abandon the prospective deal with Bayern.

Yes, agreed. It seems that we were hoping to fund a midfield purchase with the sales of either Casemiro or McTominay and a versatile RB/LB purchase with the sale of AWB. It is looking increasingly like none of those sales will happen. There must be some surplus money left, which we were presumably planning to spend on De Ligt (whose purchase hasn't been reported as sales-dependent), but I think there's a reasonable chance that United now move the 'de Ligt budget' over to a midfield purchase instead (Sander Berge, perhaps) and abandon the prospective deal with Bayern.
It has been reported that we need to get rid of a central defender to get de Ligt. It makes sense too as we already have 5 on the books.

It has been reported that we need to get rid of a central defender to get de Ligt. It makes sense too as we already have 5 on the books.

If that's the case, then we can probably park this thread unless/until we see some links to a prospective Maguire/Lindelof sale.

If that's the case, then we can probably park this thread unless/until we see some links to a prospective Maguire/Lindelof sale.
Maguire isn't going anywhere. There were some initial links of interest in Lindelof from Turkey but they seem to have died down.

I feel like journalists are also lazily using Ten Hag as a synonym for United. Like, the Ederson news yesterday was presented as Ten Hag having all these opinions on the Ugarte deal and a variety of other midfielders. If what was written there is literally true, then Ten Hag is himself performing almost every aspect of United's transfer business. Even those who think he still has way too much influence on transfers wouldn't claim that much. So in many cases, you should probably replace 'Ten Hag' with something like 'the relevant people at Manchester United' - and then processes start making more sense and it also becomes more understandable how things might reach journalists (and Romano, eventually ;) ).

I feel like journalists are also lazily using Ten Hag as a synonym for United. Like, the Ederson news yesterday was presented as Ten Hag having all these opinions on the Ugarte deal and a variety of other midfielders. If what was written there is literally true, then Ten Hag is himself performing almost every aspect of United's transfer business. Even those who think he still has way too much influence on transfers wouldn't claim that much. So in many cases, you should probably replace 'Ten Hag' with something like 'the relevant people at Manchester United' - and then processes start making more sense and it also becomes more understandable how things might reach journalists (and Romano, eventually ;) ).
Its just easy stuff to say that will never be disputed by the club or anyone else.

Romano's thing is taking someone else's story that we're interested in a player and adding his own little extra like 'personal terms won't be a problem' or 'Ten Hag really likes the player'.

Too much flux currently. Turning off the caf until the end of the window and then reassess where we're at.

So that’ll be:
- no De Ligt if they don’t get Tah
- no Mazraoui if we don’t pay off AWB
- Both McT and Casemiro staying
- no Ugarte / Zubimendi because of the fees
- main midfield target now Sander Berge

Call me a knee-jerker but I’m ready to write this season off already!

So that’ll be:

And to think it all started well aswell. We had high hopes after the first 2 quick signings.

So that’ll be:

You’re making sense.

So that’ll be:

And shiny new signing Yoro out for 3 months.

Wow, if what Kicker reports is true (and I don't have them pegged as just pumping out nonsense for clicks) then that should make for quite a few happy Bayern fans. The vibe I've gotten from some quick reads through their forums was that they were very unhappy with losing de Ligt and getting Tah. Seemed to be perceived as selling the better and younger defender for an older and weaker, if cheaper one, just because Hoeness is obsessed with having every player of the German NT on payroll.

So that’ll be:

We’ve got ages until the season starts though so don’t panic.

Status
Not open for further replies.