De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Does this happen every single time Bayern Munich lose a title? I seem to recall Dortmund winning the league many years ago and subsequently having a few of their players nicked by Bayern and now another title winner is selling a key player to them. It just never sits well with me.

Does this happen every single time Bayern Munich lose a title? I seem to recall Dortmund winning the league many years ago and subsequently having a few of their players nicked by Bayern and now another title winner is selling a key player to them. It just never sits well with me.
Farmers league ;)

German tradition

runner-up Stuttgart have also lost three key players to Bayern and Dortmund this summer (Ito to Bayern, Guirassy and Anton to Dortmund). All through release clauses, so Stuttgart couldn't do anything about it. But yeah, it's a German tradition, pretty much.

Let’s see if this will help create a breakthrough for De Ligt deal, or we push a bit further will some be like “Utd can only sign MDL with the sale of Maguire or Lindelof”.
Incoming Leverkusen want to buy Lindelof, but cannot before Tah is sold to Munich and all three clubs just sit and look at each other until the window slams shut. A bit like the showdown at the end of the good, the bad and the ugly. I'll let others decide who is who in that scenario.

Incoming Leverkusen want to buy Lindelof, but cannot before Tah is sold to Munich and all three clubs just sit and look at each other until the window slams shut. A bit like the showdown at the end of the good, the bad and the ugly. I'll let others decide who is who in that scenario.

The ecstasy of euros.
Famously rigged standoff too.

runner-up Stuttgart have also lost three key players to Bayern and Dortmund this summer (Ito to Bayern, Guirassy and Anton to Dortmund). All through release clauses, so Stuttgart couldn't do anything about it. But yeah, it's a German tradition, pretty much.

Will never get my head around German football

How do you think they can win 10 Bundesliga title in a row or something

It's all a giant domino, isn't it. If McTominay moves to Fulham and Wan-Bissaka to West Ham, United are signing De Ligt, Mazraoui, and possibly Ugarte, Tah moves to Bayern Munich, Leverkusen get whatever replacement CB they probably have already lined up, PSG can follow up on some of their plans, and so on and so forth.

Just make it happen already!

It's all a giant domino, isn't it. If McTominay moves to Fulham and Wan-Bissaka to West Ham, United are signing De Ligt, Mazraoui, and possibly Ugarte, Tah moves to Bayern Munich, Leverkusen get whatever replacement CB they probably have already lined up, PSG can follow up on some of their plans, and so on and so forth.

Just make it happen already!
Just hope with Man City getting 70-75m doesn’t make the dominoes fall another way :annoyed:

Financially stronger clubs being able to pilfer players from substantially weaker clubs isn't exactly rocket surgery, is it? Especially when the players have exit clauses and the selling club can't do a thing about who's triggering them. One season with a Bundesliga title or, in Stuttgart's case, second place, just doesn't shift the relative financial strength that much.

It will be interesting to see if and how this puts some movement into the whole thing.

Financially stronger clubs being able to pilfer players from substantially weaker clubs isn't exactly rocket surgery, is it? Especially when the players have exit clauses and the selling club can't do a thing about who's triggering them. One season with a Bundesliga title or, in Stuttgart's case, second place, just doesn't shift the relative financial strength that much.

It will be interesting to see if and how this puts some movement into the whole thing.
What on earth is “rocket surgery”?

It is a different culture but it is surprising, to me at least, that other teams aren't more vocal about Bayern's pursuit of their title winning players as it makes the league seem uncompetitive and suggests that Bayern are effectively the only true power in their league. I understand there are buy out clauses and such but the reaction always seems very muted from the selling club, and player loyalty doesn't seem to factor. I mean, is this ever talked about in Germany? Does anyone actually care? German football just seems so balanced towards giving Bayern Munich every advantage.

In Spain there have been exceptions (Figo for instance) but Real Madrid and Barca don't bid for each others players as far as i'm aware, no matter who the dominant team is at the time, and in England a United player going directly to Liverpool or City in this era is highly unlikely. City selling their cast offs to Arsenal and Chelsea is a different story.

Back on topic, I guess if this helps us get De Ligt then I won't lose any sleep over it ;)

It's the same in England: if a top club has a failed season, you can count on a lot of transfer activity during the following season. Except in England, all EPL clubs have enough income to ask high fees for their top players and hold firm, since they don't need the transfer income to survive. Plus there is less tradition of release clauses. Neither applies in Germany, where Bayern and (to a lesser extent) Dortmund are in a class of their own financially. So they can and do buy from any other team below them if they think it'll help them.

And it's not like it doesn't happen in England anyway, it's just that the rich top is relatively broad; but Brighton anyway get cleaned out periodically by those top clubs, with whom they've actually been competing for position recently (or almost, anyway). That's not unlike what's happening with Stuttgart now or Leipzig last season (or was it two seasons ago?).

So it's not a question of attitude, it's just money talking.

It is a different culture but it is surprising, to me at least, that other teams aren't more vocal about Bayern's pursuit of their title winning players as it makes the league seem uncompetitive and suggests that Bayern are effectively the only true power in their league. I understand there are buy out clauses and such but the reaction always seems very muted from the selling club, and player loyalty doesn't seem to factor. I mean, is this ever talked about in Germany? Does anyone actually care? German football just seems so balanced towards giving Bayern Munich every advantage.

In Spain there have been exceptions (Figo for instance) but Real Madrid and Barca don't bid for each others players as far as i'm aware, no matter who the dominant team is at the time, and in England a United player going directly to Liverpool or City in this era is highly unlikely. City selling their cast offs to Arsenal and Chelsea is a different story.

Back on topic, I guess if this helps us get De Ligt then I won't lose any sleep over it ;)
Of course it's talked about in Germany, you just don't follow it. And Spain is different, because Madrid and Barcelona are equal in status - just like the EPL top 6 is (well, Spurs a little below I guess). And then Madrid and Barcelona have their rivalry as well, so they're more like Liverpool and United than, say, United and Chelsea. (The Mount transfer wouldn't have happened if he were at Liverpool, or between Madrid and Barcelona.)

Again, Germany just don't have other clubs on Bayern's level, and then a bit below, Dortmund are on an island of their own as well. So clubs can complain all they want, but there isn't much they can do against Bayern's financial muscle. They aren't able to hold out like Everton does for Branthwaite.

It is, often even just from their closest competitors, when Nagelsmann came from Leipzig he also brought some of their best players along.

Why this happens, the answer is pretty simple money. Bayern has about twice the wage budget of Dortmund and Leipzig and those are already quite a bit ahead of the other teams in the league.

Of course it's talked about in Germany, you just don't follow it. And Spain is different, because Madrid and Barcelona are equal in status - just like the EPL top 6 is (well, Spurs a little below I guess). And then Madrid and Barcelona have their rivalry as well, so they're more like Liverpool and United than, say, United and Chelsea. (The Mount transfer wouldn't have happened if he were at Liverpool, or between Madrid and Barcelona.)

Again, Germany just don't have other clubs on Bayern's level, and then a bit below, Dortmund are on an island of their own as well. So clubs can complain all they want, but there isn't much they can do against Bayern's financial muscle. They aren't able to hold out like Everton does for Branthwaite.
I don't know much about the dynamics/finances involved so I was very much commenting with an outside perspective, but to me, although Dortmund are a big club, they seem several levels below Bayern, not just a bit below (again though, I don't have a lot of knowledge about this, it's just what it seems).

Must be incredibly disheartening for a fan of the smaller clubs to win a league once in a decade and then have one or more of your best players nabbed straight away by the team you've just dethroned. As you said, money talks I guess.

I don't know much about the dynamics/finances involved so I was very much commenting with an outside perspective, but to me, although Dortmund are a big club, they seem several levels below Bayern, not just a bit below (again though, I don't have a lot of knowledge about this, it's just what it seems).

Must be incredibly disheartening for a fan of the smaller clubs to win a league once in a decade and then have one or more of your best players nabbed straight away by the team you've just dethroned. As you said, money talks I guess.
They are indeed several levels below Bayern, but they are in turn several levels above everybody else as well. (Not sure where Leipzig fit in, but surely below Dortmund.) People have actually been doing lists of Dortmund and Bayern buying Bundesliga players, and Dortmund have been worse at it than Bayern - but of course Bayern's have been more high-profile, and have included Dortmund players.

Either way, yeah, I do think it's a simple financial matter. And yes, it must suck for fans of smaller clubs, but isn't it the same everywhere? When Brighton were at their best, Chelsea grabbed their coach and some players, Liverpool took a few, and so on. (I might misremember who took who exactly, but anyway.) Just like Bologna reaching the CL last season, and now losing most of their stand-outs, or various top performers leaving Leicester after they became champions (that wasn't a season later, was it?). Sometimes those sales are more international, but not always.

If anything, Leverkusen are holding their own relatively well: most top players and their coach appear to be staying, despite everyone pulling at them. But yeah, the EPL is lucky that there is so much money for everyone, that clubs don't have to sell as easily, and that probably has contributed to the top being broader than elsewhere: you get a little more opportunity to develop as a club.

Last edited:
It's either 'Rocket Science' or 'Brain surgery'.

'Rocket Surgery' definitely isn't a thing :lol:

It's either 'Rocket Science' or 'Brain surgery'.

'Rocket Surgery' definitely isn't a thing :lol:
It most certainly is. It's got its own wiktionary entry and guide book after all. :lol:
It's commonly used, like I did here, when you're trying to take the edge off a bit where using brain surgery or rocket science would maybe come across a bit mean-spirited and making the other look dumb.

They are indeed several levels below Bayern, but they are in turn several levels above everybody else as well. (Not sure where Leipzig fit in, but surely below Dortmund.)
Capology has Bayern at €297m annual wage bill (players only), Dortmund at €110m and Leipzig at €96m. Leverkusen is way below that at €62m, Stuttgart is even lower at €27m.

And thank you for explaining it, as you said it really all comes down to money in the end.

I'm happy we're finally getting round to discussing the important stuff. But what expression would De Ligt use when he is telling players around him to stop overcomplicating stuff?

Bayern are considering this one as their most important sale this summer apparently

Really opens things up for them and the remaining moves they want to make once it's wrapped up.

Last edited:
I used to enjoy the Bundesliga until it became a bit monotonous with Bayern, and stopped following for a few years.

But all of Bayern's dominance aside, I'm starting to prefer the Bundesliga over the PL again. Yes, maybe the overall quality is not quite as good as the PL, but for that it's mostly about footy. The PL has turned into a circus. I don't want all of that drama, I just want to enjoy footy again.

It most certainly is. It's got its own wiktionary entry and guide book after all. :lol:
It's commonly used, like I did here, when you're trying to take the edge off a bit where using brain surgery or rocket science would maybe come across a bit mean-spirited and making the other look dumb.
It's like, does the pope shit in the woods being a combination of is the pope catholic and does a bear shit in the woods as far as I know.

Think we should just pay what Bayern are asking and get this over with. £42m is more than fair for De Ligt. This guy is not some bum. Very rarely do players like him become available for cheap. He was in the team of the year the season before last and is one season of regular first choice minutes away from his price tag going back up again. I understand the whole value for money play wave given the way we have abused money for many years at the club but for certain players, you just need to pay the fee and bring them in. Especially when it is as reasonable as what Bayern are asking for and especially with how shaky our CB situation is.

I'm still not completely convinced with de-ligt. I feel like we will get another Varane type of player where he will do really well, get injured for 6 weeks and the cycle will repeat. It's not like Bayern are playing hardball because they really want to keep him, they just want all the money they can get for who essentially is a 4th choice CB for them. Surely we should be looking elsewhere at this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.