De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, I’m sure Bayern will well realise that the structure has changed and we have much more experienced people involved in negotiations and decision making now.

I am also sure United are saying if you expect us to pay that much for MDL then we’d be as well to go for Branthwaite for 70 mil who represents a lesser risk given he is PL proven.

Bayern’s position isn’t particularly strong here. They need DeLigt gone and it doesn’t seem like there are many suitors. It’s like United with Sancho or McT. We can’t really act like they are key players and you’ll have to pay over the odds to get them.
I do think late bids will come for both sancho and Mctominay

If these players will actually improve us, those prices are fair. 60M for 2 players who will be expected to be starters is reasonable.

If they won't, or are indeed crocks (I don't know myself), what are we doing here?
I don't think Mazaroui improves us as he isn't better than Dalot, he's much better than Wan-Bissaka so he certainly raises the floor. De Ligt definitely improves us, ceiling and floor.

I don't think Mazaroui improves us as he isn't better than Dalot, he's much better than Wan-Bissaka so he certainly raises the floor. De Ligt definitely improves us, ceiling and floor.
To me Mazraoui appears more nimble than Dalot and quite more adept at linking up centrally where needed. I Like how Dalot has evolved as a player though, he has good physicality and a strong burst of acceleration when darting out.

Dalot is still terribly inconsistent with his crosses though. I'm expecting Maz to be a better fullback but if we have to put him in at left back initially then I'm fine with it.

Mazraoui is definitely an inprovement on both Wan Bissaka and Malacia. Neither of which really have an end product in the final 3rd of the pitch. Dalot is now far and away our first choice right back, and rightly so, and Shaw is a show in on the left if/when fit.

De Ligt would immediately go into the first XI especially now Yoro is injured for an extended period, plus it allows us to bed him in properly without having to rush him back. This also allows us to get shut of Lindelof and Wan Bissaka to offest the money spent on them to a degree.

£60m for a starting centre back and a back up RB/LB is decent.

To be fair, I’m sure Bayern will well realise that the structure has changed and we have much more experienced people involved in negotiations and decision making now.

I am also sure United are saying if you expect us to pay that much for MDL then we’d be as well to go for Branthwaite for 70 mil who represents a lesser risk given he is PL proven.

Bayern’s position isn’t particularly strong here. They need DeLigt gone and it doesn’t seem like there are many suitors. It’s like United with Sancho or McT. We can’t really act like they are key players and you’ll have to pay over the odds to get them.
That's the hope, man. That unlike the previous jokers these guys will stay firm and won't acquiesce to Bayern's stupid demands. The best will be a couple of signings out of the left field.

But until that happens my heart will remain in my mouth as the pattern is similar so far in terms of how our windows go.

Puzzled as to why we kept for trying for this guy when someone like Willian Pacho for example was available for 40M Euros (+ add ons) when the total fee for De Ligt + Mazraoui could be upwards of 70M Euros (60M pounds) which is what is being quoted. Of course De Ligt is a superb player but the CB market is certainly not bare this summer for us to be chasing this guy on Bayern's ever changing terms.

Puzzled as to why we kept for trying for this guy when someone like Willian Pacho for example was available for 40M Euros (+ add ons) when the total fee for De Ligt + Mazraoui could be upwards of 70M Euros (60M pounds) which is what is being quoted. Of course De Ligt is a superb player but the CB market is certainly not bare this summer for us to be chasing this guy on Bayern's ever changing terms.
What has changed about Bayern's demands? From what I've read so far Bayern wants €50m for him, which United hasn't offered. That demand hasn't changed either from the start, at least as I am aware. Do you have sources for anything different?

This player by all reports really wants the move, everything is sorted with the player and his agent but a few sticking points on the fee (which reportedly Bayern have never changed) and incomings/outgoings at both clubs have held it up. So we’re aren’t “trying”, the deal is getting done.

What has changed about Bayern's demands? From what I've read so far Bayern wants €50m for him, which United hasn't offered. That demand hasn't changed either from the start, at least as I am aware. Do you have sources for anything different?

Just going off what I've read in the news: I think we did inquire initially whether we could get it done for lower (that could have been the first instance where we started looking at other reasonable options), Bayern set a price at 50M, United were then OK with the 50M but wanted a deal where the money doesn't need to be dispensed upfront (either via add ons or instalments). Bayern however were unwilling to negotiate on it, which is fine because he's their player.

My issue is with United for not looking at a few other options seriously here - Pacho is just one example of course, I'd have been happy with him as much as I would've been with DeLigt as long as United got a reasonable deal. There are also other reasonably priced CB options out there. Going after De Ligt and Mazraoui at that fee, letting Bayern drag this out for a while and not working on secondary options seems like a sure fire way to just end up paying what Bayern want for those two players.

This player by all reports really wants the move, everything is sorted with the player and his agent but a few sticking points on the fee (which reportedly Bayern have never changed) and incomings/outgoings at both clubs have held it up. So we’re aren’t “trying”, the deal is getting done.

Of course both players will want to move to United and we've agreed personal terms, however I do have a problem with how we've approached this with Bayern - And the deal isn't getting done until Bayern meet in the middle around our terms, so until then we are still trying, yes? If this drags on, we limit our options towards the end of the window, and will end up having to pay over the odds - a familiar trope that I don't personally want to see at United under INEOS.

I think we should've looked seriously at some other options given that we know Bayern aren't willing to negotiate nor compromise, and there are still options out there we can look at, especially for CB. We don't need De Ligt and Mazraoui at all cost and especially at terms that we're not comfortable with, there are plenty of options out there - Pacho was one of those options, and there are a couple of others out there that can do a good job for us.

Just going off what I've read in the news: I think we did inquire initially whether we could get it done for lower (that could have been the first instance where we started looking at other reasonable options), Bayern set a price at 50M, United were then OK with the 50M but wanted a deal where the money doesn't need to be dispensed upfront (either via add ons or instalments). Bayern however were unwilling to negotiate on it, which is fine because he's their player.

My issue is with United for not looking at a few other options seriously here - Pacho is just one example of course, I'd have been happy with him as much as I would've been with DeLigt as long as United got a reasonable deal. There are also other reasonably priced CB options out there. Going after De Ligt and Mazraoui at that fee, letting Bayern drag this out for a while and not working on secondary options seems like a sure fire way to just end up paying what Bayern want for those two players.
So your statement was wrong, Bayern didn't change their demands at all, United just isn't able or willing to meet it. But somehow it's still Bayern's fault and they're dragging this out. How so? You yourself say that it's Bayern's prerogative to ask as much as they want for their player. They're not even waffling about and changing their terms like you initially claimed. If they say "this much and no less" then that should be fine then, no? Isn't it rather the buyer who's wasting everyone's time then if they keep trying to haggle with someone who has stated their price from the start and stands on it?

It appears quite clear now that we targeted a raw/young CB in one of Branthwaite or Yoro, and absolutely had a secondary option AND then also the a more experienced option in De Ligt.

I’m not sure why you’d want us to then move from our main target when all reports say we’re very close and it appears United are waiting on AWB and Bayern on Tah in order to then get it done.
Pivoting and going for another extremely raw CB in Pacho, who has had a single season in a top league sounds the stupid option to me, and sounds like completely throwing our Summer plans down the toilet because we’re too impatient to wait on a bit of movement.

I also think Pacho at 40m or De Ligt at 45-50m is an absolute no-brainier, we’re in an incredible position to get a player at a cracking price because not only do Bayern have some money issues, it’s clear from the Bayern quotes that this is something the player really wants, no doubt due to his close relationship with ETH.

Last edited:
Hope we have someone alternatives lined up as it seems like if Bayern won't budge on the asking price we are more than happy to walk away as we've seen with Ugarte and Branthwaite.

Surely there are other Cheap CBs out there we could sign that fit the Criteria of what is needed.

It appears quite clear now that we targeted a raw/young CB in one of Branthwaite or Yoro, and absolutely had a secondary option AND then also the a more experienced option in De Ligt.

I’m not sure why you’d want us to then move from our main target when all reports say we’re very close and it appears United are waiting on AWB and Bayern on Tah in order to then get it done.
Pivoting and going for another extremely raw CB in Pacho, who has had a single season in a top league sounds the stupid option to me, and sounds like completely throwing our Summer plans down the toilet because we’re too impatient to wait on a bit of movement.

I also think Pacho at 40m or De Ligt at 45-50m is an absolute no-brainier, we’re in an incredible position to get a player at a cracking price because not only do Bayern have some money issues, it’s clear from the Bayern quotes that this is something the player really wants, no doubt due to his close relationship with ETH.

I understand your point about Pacho being a young guy but for reference, Gabriel joined Arsenal around the 22 year mark and Saliba at 21 (I might be off by not more than a year) - surely if you're good enough you're old enough + we've got an experienced CB in Martinez, and Maguire will likely stay. You're right it could be a risk with 1 season of top football (As with Leny), but it depends on whether we actually scouted this guy properly, we likely didn't.

Don't get me wrong I agree De Ligt is the best fit especially if he can remain healthy (And this is the only point where I see problems with that 50M valuation personally, and would prefer if we had some reasonable add ons rather than a full fee to cover that risk - Just do not want to see another Varane situation).

I see no reason why we shouldn't actively keep our options open if Bayern don't want to negotiate, if anything it will likely help this deal will work out better for us - and if it doesn't work out with Bayern, we'll have done some work early on secondary targets.

Fair play to Ineos for sorting out the Yoro replacement so swiftly. Now just need a Zirkzee backup.

Bayern Munich have signed Tah.

That means we will hear surely something about De Ligt soon.

Just hope we sign De Ligt for a good price so clubs like PSG get the impression that we've genuinely turned the page on Murtough Madness, and relent with their ridiculous valuations.

It'll have to, because according to Kicker Bayern haven't actually signed Tah yet. They've agreed terms, but it all hinges on them getting de Ligt sold first.

Yes not 100% official.....but you know there is now finally the agreement between both clubs.

Of couse De Ligt must leave.
I don’t think anyone is doubting that de Ligt and Mazraoui will end up at United. But stating „Bayern have signed Tah“ is still not true.

Signing de Ligt should be the priority.

Hopefully the Tah deal for Bayern will help us find a reasonable outcome for all.

Let’s see if this will help create a breakthrough for De Ligt deal, or we push a bit further will some be like “Utd can only sign MDL with the sale of Maguire or Lindelof”.

Status
Not open for further replies.