De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of what we write chances anything, apart from among ourselves. I just think you gave an overly simplistic account of what to expect from De Ligt as a player. Having seen him play, including for Bayern, he looks like he’s well worth what we look like paying for him, which is not what Juve paid. I don’t think eaither of us can credibly predict how he is going to do for us, as with any CB really.
I’m sceptical, but the quoted posts below, that would bring him more in line with what his “worth” is at least make it a fair punt to make.

Happily eat crow if he comes in and is everything those who believe in him say he is. Would be delighted to be wrong in that instance.
Dutch CBs at the Euros included Van Dijk, De Vrij, Aké, Van de Ven, and De Ligt. All of those would improve United's roster of CBs (assuming Maguire and/or Lindelöf leave). I would have most doubts about De Vrij actually - who kept De Ligt out of the team for tactical reasons, not on pure quality. So it's a non-point you're making here.

For what it's worth, the reports say that he's willing to take a pay cut to join United.

Bayern have to cut their wage bill and gave de Ligt £260k/week (apparently)… lots of clubs will/should be to meet incoming squad cost:revenue rules.

…we’re offering about £180k/week?
Cheers, both.
Again, make things up and then pass it off as a fact, you have no idea why he is leaving, but you go with a negative view. He is a top class player who will improve United.
As above; happy to be proven wrong.

Onana is going to be busy sweeping next season if we play a high line with Martinez and De Ligt. Fortunately he’s pretty good at it. Two seasons ago I’d have bitten your hand off for that trio in our back line. A bit of a mixed season for all 3 hasn’t changed anything.

Salary and fee tend to change every one's perspective. We have seen that multiple times with the likes of Antony and Maguire.

In my opinion him moving at a top club at age 19 was already difficult enough especially at a club like Juve who has little patience with kids and tend to play a different style to Ajax. Add that monstrous salary to the mix and it became unbearable

Don't take me wrong, I have my concerns with de ligt. He isn't fast enough, he is injury prone, he is aggressive which might be an issue considering our other CB is Martinez and while he's decent in air he is no Jarrad let alone Maguire. However as many Juve fans told me, de ligt is Decent. He's not that good to justify his salary
Yeah, very true. His initial salary revolved around him looking like a very special player destined to be one of the greats of his generation. Things haven’t worked out that way and he’s getting moved along too much like a hot potato for my liking, but as I’ve said in previous posts, I sincerely hope he proves me/us wrong.

Yeah, very true. His initial salary revolved around him looking like a very special player destined to be one of the greats of his generation. Things haven’t worked out that way and he’s getting moved along too much like a hot potato for my liking, but as I’ve said in previous posts, I sincerely hope he proves me/us wrong.

I’m suprised how little slack he gets considering his age. Litteraly, that people dont take his age more into consideration when talking about his performances and what he has done so far. Look where most great CBs were at that age.

Rio were always a huge talent, but do people remember him at West Ham and Leeds? Or even the first six months at Man Utd? I’m not sure he would have worked out if he came to Man Utd at a too young age. That arrogance and sometimes lack of focus would not have been accepted. I dont think the timing of getting him was just a concidence either. Ferguson bought most of his CBs between 24 and 27.

Where was van Dijk and Vidic between 18 and 24?

Since 23 he has had one season in team of the year in the BL and one ruined by injuries. I’m suprised Bayern sell him after the poor season. It feels like really poor timing of selling. On the contrary, I really like the timing of buying de Ligt at 25 and I could not care less that Juve and Bayern decided to sell him. Neither club seems very well operated at the minute.

It actually feels like they have helped develop and educate de Ligt, and on top we get a huge discount. Just because Bayern have been a mess for the past year and he had a season ruined by injuries.

Few people may know this, but it was Ten Hag that made him the youngest captain ever in Ajax history. So he will eventually play for a coach that will fully trust him, and will bring the best out of him again.

I’m sceptical, but the quoted posts below, that would bring him more in line with what his “worth” is at least make it a fair punt to make.

Happily eat crow if he comes in and is everything those who believe in him say he is. Would be delighted to be wrong in that instance.

Cheers, both.

As above; happy to be proven wrong.
I would be happy if you’re proved wrong as well :)

I hope he comes, because he is in my opinion one of the best CB’s around under 25 and is available for money that makes it possible for us to strengthen other areas as well.

I think his career does need a revival. You can’t tell me his career is where you thought it would be by now when he left Ajax (as their teenage captain wasn’t he?)

I thought he’d be one of the best in the world by now but it isn’t the case. And I hope (in the event he signs for United) that he gets his career back on track because time is on his side to get there still

Overall I don’t think he’s a £40m+ signing at all because his career has stagnated and it’s up to the buying club to get it back on track
Yeah, he didn't reach the heights people expected, but those would have been insane. Instead, he's been a solid option for teams that are competitive in the Champions League, which is still very good for anyone. If United can bring him back on that world-class level trajectory, that would be amazing; but if he would just continue on the level he's been at at Bayern, I would think that's good as well, and plenty for United's needs.

We'll cock this up and then sign Kurt Zouma --whose legs have been gone for 5 years -- at the last minute of the window.

I’m suprised how little slack he gets considering his age. Litteraly, that people dont take his age more into consideration when talking about his performances and what he has done so far. Look where most great CBs were at that age.

Rio were always a huge talent, but do people remember him at West Ham and Leeds? Or even the first six months at Man Utd? I’m not sure he would have worked out if he came to Man Utd at a too young age. That arrogance and sometimes lack of focus would not have been accepted. I dont think the timing of getting him was just a concidence either. Ferguson bought most of his CBs between 24 and 27.

Since 23 he has had one season in team of the year in the BL and one ruined by injuries. I’m suprised Bayern sell him after the poor season. It feels like really poor timing of selling. On the contrary, I really like the timing of buying de Ligt at 25 and I could not care less that Juve and Bayern decided to sell him. Neither club seems very well operated at the minute.

It actually feels like they have helped develop and educate de Ligt, and on top we get a huge discount. Just because Bayern have been a mess for the past year and he had a season ruined by injuries.

The issue with De Ligt was always down to salary and fee. At 258k a week (Capology), he's paid more then Rudiger (235k), Militao (230k), Van Dijk (220k) and Saliba (190k). Rio got his slack when he moved to Leeds for big money. Who can forget SAF's famous 'If Rio is worth 18m then how much is Wes worth, 30m?' jab?

If Juve wanted to keep him, they would have. They are Juventus, about the most crooked there used to be before the state clubs dwarfed them. They would have made it workable if they deemed him worth the outlay. I mean, come on.
Juventus are a financial black hole and John Elkann is tired of wasting his money on it. They're going through a major economic restructuring aimed at becoming self-sufficient.

Juventus are a financial black hole and John Elkann is tired of wasting his money on it. They're going through a major economic restructuring aimed at becoming self-sufficient.

Its also true that Juve had someone lined up who was as good as he was, who suited Allegri's game better and he was on a lower salary. Once Juventus started rattling the cage, Bayern stepped in and De Ligt was determined to leave. Its pretty much copy and paste of what is happening at Bayern

One big plus with him is definitely attitude. Our team, apart from player additions needs good leaders, and he seems to have some presence on the pitch.

So many times we just give up as a team when a few things don’t go our way.

Its also true that Juve had someone lined up who was as good as he was, who suited Allegri's game better and he was on a lower salary. Once Juventus started rattling the cage, Bayern stepped in and De Ligt was determined to leave. Its pretty much copy and paste of what is happening at Bayern
Juventus would have been better if they could have kept De Ligt AND sign Bremer to play with him. In their case it was an entirely financial consideration, they didn't care about weakening the team. Bayern on the other hand arw figuring they can sell De Ligt, replace him with a much cheaper player and not get worse. I'm not so sure they'll succeed

Anyways, great player but not one worth signing at all costs

Get him and ugarte and it'll be a wrap I think as far as we're concerned.

Doubt we have anything left for a fullback.

One big plus with him is definitely attitude. Our team, apart from player additions needs good leaders, and he seems to have some presence on the pitch.

So many times we just give up as a team when a few things don’t go our way.
A winners mentality with the medals to go with it. We need more like him in the squad.

Mentality strong, determined and will raise the bar on what he will expect and demand from teammates.

What you say isn’t wrong, but what @devilish said in regard to it is the stance most will take observing the player objectively because he was purchased and treated like a potential great of his generation, pretty much readymade (going by his Ajax showings) and ready to deliver, so he was never going to be judged as a kid, coming up the ranks - he has always been paid as though he is a bona fide elite CB and is judged in accordance with that.

He may turn it around and fulfil his early potential, if he does so for us then that will be incredible, but as of now, you can surely understand the doubts people who aren’t sold have about him? “Wages” simply doesn’t hold up because if a player is good enough, clubs will bend over backwards to accommodate them, even if it means sacrificing others or curtailing some of the future budget/expenditure.

A lot of eyes will be on him in the PL. I do sincerely hope he can deliver.

he has always been paid as though he is a bona fide elite CB and is judged in accordance with that.

But that is not «our» problem. And if we buy de Ligt for £40 mill in a market where Guehi cost £70 mill, we can afford anf justify to pay him «over market».

Max Eberl today saying he'll talk about the reasons "once it's done", but says they're not there yet. Says a lot of fans like him, but you have to make decisions and also account for the player's feelings. Says he's still a Bayern player and they'll support him as long as he is. Certainly sounds like this one will get done for sure ... you don't say things like that when you expect your player to stay.

Max Eberl today saying he'll talk about the reasons "once it's done", but says they're not there yet. Says a lot of fans like him, but you have to make decisions and also account for the player's feelings. Says he's still a Bayern player and they'll support him as long as he is. Certainly sounds like this one will get done for sure ... you don't say things like that when you expect your player to stay.

Yeah I'd expect him and Mazraoui to be done by this time next week with McTominay and AWB gone.

Stay away from this. Juventus knew. Munchen know.

If we talked about taking risk with £20m or so I wouldn't have problem. Paying dubble or more is ridiculous.

What you say isn’t wrong, but what @devilish said in regard to it is the stance most will take observing the player objectively because he was purchased and treated like a potential great of his generation, pretty much readymade (going by his Ajax showings) and ready to deliver, so he was never going to be judged as a kid, coming up the ranks - he has always been paid as though he is a bona fide elite CB and is judged in accordance with that.

He may turn it around and fulfil his early potential, if he does so for us then that will be incredible, but as of now, you can surely understand the doubts people who aren’t sold have about him? “Wages” simply doesn’t hold up because if a player is good enough, clubs will bend over backwards to accommodate them, even if it means sacrificing others or curtailing some of the future budget/expenditure.

A lot of eyes will be on him in the PL. I do sincerely hope he can deliver.
He's won the league in Holland, Italy and Germany. Won cups in various countries as well. Has 45 caps for holland. He's 24 years old What does he have to prove?

We are buying a proven winner. Ok he may never achieve his generational talent potential which they thought he had at 19. However he is still an outstanding CB.

Myopic viewpoints on this thread, "well he ain't proved it in the PL", "all other leagues are farmers leagues" etc etc are a bit silly

Being moved on from Juventus isnt a big deal if you understand what Juventus were going through at the time. Allegri left as Juventus owners wanted to play more attractive possession based football, despite the success they had under Allegri and his pragmatic football. The new approach was a disaster under Pirlo and then Sarri.

At Bayern, they have simply stretched themselves too much financially with financial huge deals for players and need to reign in the finances under UEFA FSR.

None of this stops him being a top top CB with nothing to prove.

He's won the league in Holland, Italy and Germany. Won cups in various countries as well. Has 45 caps for holland. He's 24 years old What does he have to prove?

We are buying a proven winner. Ok he may never achieve his generational talent potential which they thought he had at 19. However he is still an outstanding CB.

Myopic viewpoints on this thread, "well he ain't proved it in the PL", "all other leagues are farmers leagues" etc etc are a bit silly

Being moved on from Juventus isnt a big deal if you understand what Juventus were going through at the time. Allegri left as Juventus owners wanted to play more attractive possession based football, despite the success they had under Allegri and his pragmatic football. The new approach was a disaster under Pirlo and then Sarri.

At Bayern, they have simply stretched themselves too much financially with financial huge deals for players and need to reign in the finances under UEFA FSR.

None of this stops him being a top top CB with nothing to prove.
Who the feck do you think you are? Coming in here with your sensible post, you ain’t from around here are ya!

If we talked about taking risk with £20m or so I wouldn't have problem. Paying dubble or more is ridiculous.
Forty-odd million pounds for a player of De Ligt’s calibre and potential really isn’t that much. For a reference point, Max Kilman just joined West Ham for over that.

You are living in a world where Kilman went for 40m, Branthwaite who still has a lot to prove being quoted more than 70m and CP demanding 50-60m for Guehi, 40m for De Ligt is not the overpaying you seem to think it is.

If anything we are trying to take advantage of Bayern's desperation to sell by attempting to get the asking price lower which many teams have done to us over the years.

Forty-odd million pounds for a player of De Ligt’s calibre and potential really isn’t that much. For a reference point, Max Kilman just joined West Ham for over that.
Which is patethic.

You are living in a world where Kilman went for 40m, Branthwaite who still has a lot to prove being quoted more than 70m and CP demanding 50-60m for Guehi, 40m for De Ligt is not the overpaying you seem to think it is.

If anything we are trying to take advantage of Bayern's desperation to sell by attempting to get the asking price lower which many teams have done to us over the years.
Ridiculous money. Why would anyone pay that for Branthwaite or Guehi? Fees have gone crazy and we should not be involved in that. We have done that to many times in the past. To many. We need to step away from doing that.

Why did Juve want to keep him then? Double bluff?
If they wanted to keep him that much he would be there. Don’t trust media on everything.

If they wanted to keep him that much he would be there. Don’t trust media on everything.
Juve wanted to keep de Ligt. De Ligt didn’t want to extend his contract. Therefore Juve sold him instead of losing him for free.

Which is patethic.

Ridiculous money. Why would anyone pay that for Branthwaite or Guehi? Fees have gone crazy and we should not be involved in that. We have done that to many times in the past. To many. We need to step away from doing that.

Did you at least watch him for any of those clubs? Because he wasn’t sold for his performances and both fanbases wanted and want to keep him.

Status
Not open for further replies.