De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really true. They are also completely different players but wouldnt say de Ligt at Ajax was better than Martinez in EtH last season at Ajax. Martinez was Ajax' player of the year, which de Ligt has never managed to. Not sure where your hard claims are coming from.

Martinez was also formidable in his first season at United, de Ligt was also great that season at Bayern. Not much in-between them. Last season is hard to tell, Martinez barely fit but finished the season strongly with a great display in the FA CUP win, part of a wonder duo at the Copa also with victory. De Ligt finished the season strongly at Bayern too.
De Ligt in "that" Ajax season was far better than Martinez at Ajax. He was so good even I rooted for him. As for not being player of the season. Bit hard if it's between you, Frenkie, Tadic and Ziyech who all had their career best season.

I feel Martinez has the benefit of being a perpetually injured player at a struggling side which makes him a target of the if only he wasnt injured sentiment. Not saying he's bad, but I read shouts that he is in the 5 world best cb's and that's just crap.

It's mental. De ligt was captain of Ajax at 19. Only defender to ever win UEFA Golden Boy award. Won the league with Ajax, won the league with Juventus, won the league with Bayern and he's 24.

Proven winner, massive upgrade to our defence alongside Martinez and Yoro.

And yet people are complaining or saying he's no better than harry Maguire. Which is laughable. Maguire wouldn't get into the Bayern or Juventus squads.

Would be a top 5 CB at the very least in Serie A but sure he wouldn't make the squad at Juve

It's genuinely scary how such a horrible take can be a popular opinion because most football fans don't watch games other than their own team and just go along with the social media narratives and base their worthless opinions on 30 second highlights

How do people think De Ligt compares to someone like Ruben Dias, for example?

I feel Martinez has the benefit of being a perpetually injured player at a struggling side which makes him a target of the if only he wasnt injured sentiment. Not saying he's bad, but I read shouts that he is in the 5 world best cb's and that's just crap.

How do people think De Ligt compares to someone like Ruben Dias, for example?
Maybe it's just me, but it feels like Dias has regressed a fair bit. Feels like he's normally behind Stones and Akanji these days. Maybe it's because of injuries, or Pep just prefers them now because they can play a few different positions, whereas Dias is very much a CB.

It feels like he's never hit the heights of his first season at the club.

Oh yes, another incredible RedCafe narrative that Pep and City fake an interest in "bad" players so that United will panic and overpay to sign them :lol:

The most reputable journalists confirming City's interest in said players doesn't matter I guess

Totally uninformed posters laughing at others

I guess it's easier to disregard facts and laugh because in hindsight you try to look smart, instead of realizing that for any player the environment is the most important thing that has the biggest say on how well they are able to perform in a team

I'm sure Messi would've scored 91 goals in 2012 if he was playing for Aston Villa instead of Barcelona, and I'm sure Rúben Dias would've looked like a world beater if he was playing for United last season.

This inability to understand something so obvious and so simple is why Foden is such an overrated player as well
What has all of this endless ‘debate’ got to do with DeLigt joining us?

Ah it was Pep that said it.

He also said Foden is the most talented player he's ever seen. If anything, Pep using one of his, look at me with my hot takes, it proves the opposite.
Pep also said he wanted 1000 Dantes at Bayern, despite benching the one he had. Anyway, not Licha's fault Pep heaped praise on him, but it is not a great argument.

De Ligt in "that" Ajax season was far better than Martinez at Ajax. He was so good even I rooted for him. As for not being player of the season. Bit hard if it's between you, Frenkie, Tadic and Ziyech who all had their career best season.

I am not trying to downplay de Ligt, he was awesome at Ajax. However Ajax in 2021/2022 was defensively even better than Ajax in 2018/2019, and Martinez was Ajax' best player that season. Competition was less than 18/19 (Timber, Haller, Antony, Tadic, Berghuis, Alvarez were some of the competition). They had a wonderful defense as well in the Champions League conceding 5 goals in 6 matches (also vs Haaland).

But other than being defensively strong, Martinez is the heart of the build-up in a way that de Ligt can never be. He was already among the top footballing defenders in the whole world. You could also make the claim that de Ligt's team was better, so less responsibilities. Though he is more of a goalscorer than Martinez. However Martinez was part of both the heart in defence, and in offence/buildup. He couldn't have done any better job.

Would be a top 5 CB at the very least in Serie A but sure he wouldn't make the squad at Juve

It's genuinely scary how such a horrible take can be a popular opinion because most football fans don't watch games other than their own team and just go along with the social media narratives and base their worthless opinions on 30 second highlights
What are you on about?

Maguire making top 5 CBs in serie A. :lol:

He wasn't even the best CB at Leicester when we vastly overpaid for him.

Also what do you know of how much football other people watch and what other teams they watch?

What are you on about?

Maguire making top 5 CBs in serie A. :lol:

He wasn't even the best CB at Leicester when we vastly overpaid for him.

Also what do you know of how much football other people watch and what other teams they watch?

No point in continuing this conversation. Keep sticking to your casual takes

Ah it was Pep that said it.

He also said Foden is the most talented player he's ever seen. If anything, Pep using one of his, look at me with my hot takes, it proves the opposite.
Pep about Maguire:
"He's strong in the air, good with the ball, the build-up, he drives with the ball, he's fast, so fast. He has all the qualities. Congratulations to United for this signature."
Lying bastard.

I am not trying to downplay de Ligt, he was awesome at Ajax. However Ajax in 2021/2022 was defensively even better than Ajax in 2018/2019, and Martinez was Ajax' best player that season. Competition was less than 18/19 (Timber, Haller, Antony, Tadic, Berghuis, Alvarez were some of the competition). They had a wonderful defense as well in the Champions League conceding 5 goals in 6 matches (also vs Haaland).

But other than being defensively strong, Martinez is the heart of the build-up in a way that de Ligt can never be. He was already among the top footballing defenders in the whole world. You could also make the claim that de Ligt's team was better, so less responsibilities. Though he is more of a goalscorer than Martinez. However Martinez was part of both the heart in defence, and in offence/buildup. He couldn't have done any better job.
That's fair.

I do remember it being leaky at times (like the 6 you conceded against us), but wasn't that also in part due to De Jong being played at CB a lot due to injuries or something? You probably remember better than me. I just remember how insanely strong De Ligt was that year.

Pep about Maguire:
"He's strong in the air, good with the ball, the build-up, he drives with the ball, he's fast, so fast. He has all the qualities. Congratulations to United for this signature."
Lying bastard.
:lol:

Pep playing 4D chess

How is Martinez hugely overrated? Other than his first two matches since joining United, he's been quite great whenever fit. Acknowledged individually by Pep also not too long ago.
As you said in other post; i am not downplaying his quality. He is very good defender and i am glad that we have him. But he is labelled as our best signing in ages which is not true. Guy missed one whole season and in first season he was in team when trashing against City, Pool and Brentford happened.
So far, he was good for us and he is important for us but he still needs to prove that he is excellent signing.

Wh

What even is this rubbish?

And how did he come up with those random numbers?

And why are these garbage twitter posts even allowed to be posted?
Don't think it's that serious mate, nothing more than keeping up with the traditional spirit of muppetry of the summer window :lol:

The mods can freely delete whatever posts that aren't allowed

As you said in other post; i am not downplaying his quality. He is very good defender and i am glad that we have him. But he is labelled as our best signing in ages which is not true. Guy missed one whole season and in first season he was in team when trashing against City, Pool and Brentford happened.
So far, he was good for us and he is important for us but he still needs to prove that he is excellent signing.
Your points of criticism seem to include being involved in trashings, and the fact that he hasn't been much available with injuries.

In people's rating of him though, I think they look at his quality and impact on the team when he plays. Only the former point would be somewhat relevant if so, so I fail to see how that would make him hugely overrated? Because he's been involved in trashings?

To take it to the extreme I wouldn't call Arjen Robben overrated because he missed so much football relative to his peers, but rather when fit he was always a top 3/top 5 winger in the 2010's.

Wh

What even is this rubbish?

And how did he come up with those random numbers?

And why are these garbage twitter posts even allowed to be posted?
It's the classic Internet move of "if you add numbers to your bullshit, it immidiately sounds objective".

i would rather get De Ligt than Mazraoui. Would be furious if we do the first deal and then we miss out on De Ligt due to money. I know we need fullback cover but not as much as we need a CB upgrade with Yoro out for a couple of months. De Ligt would mean we wouldn’t have to rush him back, he’d instantly be our best defender and he’s a leader. It also gives us tactical flexibility - if we’re holding on to a lead against a crossing/aerial side, go with him and Maguire at the back.

I also think Yoro (when back) can cover fullback as he has all the attributes if we are desperate.

i would rather get De Ligt than Mazraoui. Would be furious if we do the first deal and then we miss out on De Ligt due to money. I know we need fullback cover but not as much as we need a CB upgrade with Yoro out for a couple of months. De Ligt would mean we wouldn’t have to rush him back, he’d instantly be our best defender and he’s a leader. It also gives us tactical flexibility - if we’re holding on to a lead against a crossing/aerial side, go with him and Maguire at the back.

I also think Yoro (when back) can cover fullback as he has all the attributes if we are desperate.

Doesn't remotely appear like a situation where we're choosing between them to be fair? Both deals will happen.

Doesn't remotely appear like a situation where we're choosing between them to be fair? Both deals will happen.
Both have the same agent. Both have been told they can leave. Hopefully we will get deals done for booths soon

It's mental. De ligt was captain of Ajax at 19. Only defender to ever win UEFA Golden Boy award. Won the league with Ajax, won the league with Juventus, won the league with Bayern and he's 24.

Proven winner, massive upgrade to our defence alongside Martinez and Yoro.

And yet people are complaining or saying he's no better than harry Maguire. Which is laughable. Maguire wouldn't get into the Bayern or Juventus squads.
We can all read his wiki. We can also see that all the plaudits ended after 2019 when he left Ajax.

Do you know how many medals Phil Neville won?

Matter of opinion. Both are very good players and United quality. I don't know who is better, but at the moment, Martinez is hugely overrated by United fans and De Ligt is very underrated.

Having them both, with Yoro, would be awesome.
How is he overrated? He’s our best CB when fit. Simple as that. Also when the best manager in the world (Guardiola) hails him as being the difference maker then you know he’s a good player.

Not really true. They are also completely different players but wouldnt say de Ligt at Ajax was better than Martinez in EtH last season at Ajax. Martinez was Ajax' player of the year, which de Ligt has never managed to. Not sure where your hard claims are coming from.

Martinez was also formidable in his first season at United, de Ligt was also great that season at Bayern. Not much in-between them. Last season is hard to tell, Martinez barely fit but finished the season strongly with a great display in the FA CUP win, part of a wonder duo at the Copa also with victory. De Ligt finished the season strongly at Bayern too.
Well said.

De Ligt and Martinez are two different style of CBs. Martinez has amazing passing range, he's fierce, he's relatively fast and he's a fighter. De Ligt is taller, better in air, he's' physically stronger, he's good with the ball (though lacking Martinez passing range) and he's slightly slower

De Ligt and Martinez are two different style of CBs. Martinez has amazing passing range, he's fierce, he's relatively fast and he's a fighter. De Ligt is taller, better in air, he's' physically stronger, he's good with the ball (though lacking Martinez passing range) and he's slightly slower
Martinez was one of the best defenders in the league last year. To say De Ligt is better than him would put him up amongst the likes of VVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.