De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Real also took Rudiger at 29 and he is the rock of their defense and there is a good reason Bayern will buy Tah for 25 million euro, and that’s a good deal for them. City bought Kovacic at 29.

The crucial difference is the position those clubs were in when they signed those players.

Rudiger was brought to Madrid when they were in a position to challenge for major trophies immediately, winning both La Liga and the CL in his first two seasons. Ditto City and Kovacic, who were in a position to win the PL in his first season. And regarding Tah, Bayern go into this season as heavy favourites to win the Bundesliga. As in our case when we signed RVP, signing older players is easier to justify when their impact can immediately contribute to major trophy wins.

We on the other hand are in a position where our new owners are openly saying it could be three years before we're in a position to really challenge for major trophies. Which means if we signed Tah now, he would be 31 years old before we're in a position to challenge for trophies, the same age as the CB we just let leave on a free transfer. And that's if things go according to the owners' plans.

It makes no sense for us to target players of that age profile unless we're happy to accept that we will likely have to replace them again before we next challenge. In the context of where we are as a team, that's too short-term a solution when players who will be able to contribute over a longer time frame are available.

Last edited:
De Ligt is a top talent and still young considering his position. He's worth every penny.

Just because Bayern are forcing him out doesnt mean he's shit.

Why force out De Ligt (24) over Dier (30) baffles me.
Dumped by Juve and now Bayern. Everyone I've spoken to who's watched him week in week out says he's regressed and not as good as when he was a teenager. We are getting a decent player for the fee, but let's be honest, we're not mugging anyone here. No one else in for him at that price either, no top team anyway.

The clowns in this thread who have been brainwashed by the media/social media campaign into thinking Maguire is awful. Do you even, actually, watch him play? Sure he had a rough patch for a bit (as all players do), but outside of that he’s generally been fine. From an ability/performance standpoint, there isn’t THAT much difference in Maguire and De Ligt; despite what their fifa ratings are, kids.
It is called an agenda.
The clowns disappear as soon as he starts playing well.

Dumped by Juve and now Bayern. Everyone I've spoken to who's watched him week in week out says he's regressed and not as good as when he was a teenager. We are getting a decent player for the fee, but let's be honest, we're not mugging anyone here. No one else in for him at that price either, no top team anyway.
Dier looked as good alongside him last season and was picked in front of Kim and Upa......that tells me it is not too hard.

We on the other hand are in a position where our new owners are openly saying it could be three years before we're in a position to really challenge for major trophies. Which means if we signed Tah now, he would be 31 years old before we're in a position to challenge for trophies, the same age as the CB we just let leave on a free transfer. And that's if things go according to the owners' plans.
We are not letting our CB’s go or want to sell them because of their age but because they are not good enough. You always have to keep replacing players, even if your are on the level of Real, Bayern or City. If a player of 28 can help us get to that level and we pay a modest transfer fee for that player it is fine to replace him again in 2 to 3 years. They helped us out for a good period and we hopefully we got better. If we sign the right players ofcourse. With younger players you also don’t know how it will work out, look at Malacia, Anthony, Wan-Bissaka, Sancho, Mount etc. Did they help us out to get better? Ofcourse I understand what you say about younger players. All I say is it is not all about age and not all 28 year old players are the same because not all players develop in the same way or age the same. It is my opinion people get obsessed with young players, although I really understand what you say and I agree with that as well.

Let's be honest, you don't know anyone who's watched him week in week out. The Bayern fans on here who actually have say differently too.

He’s also struggled with injuries and fallen out of favour with both his club and international team despite there not being extreme competition at either.

His next club will be tasked with reviving his career and taking that risk with him. It’s an investment. Bayern have made clear they are not willing to do that. I think they’re laughing to value him at £40m
Do you have any clue how many top CB'd the Netherlands currently have?

DChNgRbcafG9wFnTvNAgIf.jpg

Pogba & Januzaj could've ruled the world :(

Let's be honest, you don't know anyone who's watched him week in week out. The Bayern fans on here who actually have say differently too.
How are they saying differently besides wanting more money?

You’ve got Bayern fans on this very forum saying the opposite though

Honestly that's a big bargain price as it is for 2 starter level players of theirs

Would be amazing if we managed to negotiate that down even further but I won't be fussed at all if we ended up paying that sum in the end.

With the Tah signing imminent it feels like there's too many parts already in movement to prevent this from happening

I just see no point in him if Maguire is staying. Not to mention Lindelof is still here too. Why are we just collecting centre halves who will obviously not all play?

We have just brought one world-class prospect in that area who needs to be a priority with us. He will need games, but also a more experienced option to rotate with. This is Maguire. And if it’s not Maguire, then Maguire should be sold, because that’s what we need. I have no idea where De Ligt fits in to our vision.

I just see no point in him if Maguire is staying. Not to mention Lindelof is still here too. Why are we just collecting centre halves who will obviously not all play?

We have just brought one world-class prospect in that area who needs to be a priority with us. He will need games, but also a more experienced option to rotate with. This is Maguire. And if it’s not Maguire, then Maguire should be sold, because that’s what we need. I have no idea where De Ligt fits in to our vision.
No point whatsoever.
Offer Bayern 25mil plus Lindelof or Casemiro or Antony for De ligt and if they don't want it then Walkaway.
We have to be proactive in getting rid of liabilities in the squad before anything.

neither Maguire nor Lindelof fit into the vision.

It’d be 2 out of 3 of Martinez, Yoro & De Ligt starting.

Maguire and Evans 4th/5th choice. Lindelof sold. I’d imagine we’d probably sell Maguire too if we could get a taker.

Lindelof is probably on his way out if the Ligt comes. Also, De Ligt is 24 while Maguire is 31, so they probably wont renew his contract at the next crossroads, or possible keep him as a 4th choice. Yoro , Lisandro and De Ligt will be our main CB rotations

The dumped by Juve and Bayern narrative is so extremely tiresome and lazy..

Same as the "how good is he if he doesnt start for NL"

Tell me you dony watch football without telling me you dont watch football.

The dumped by Juve and Bayern narrative is so extremely tiresome and lazy..

Same as the "how good is he if he doesnt start for NL"

Tell me you dony watch football without telling me you dont watch football.
So how's his development since leaving Ajax?

So how's his development since leaving Ajax?
He made a big money move to Juventus, won the Italian league as a starter, and then a big money move to Bayern, won the Bundesliga as a starter. He is now 24. Clearly his career has not panned out.

He made a big money move to Juventus, won the Italian league as a starter, and then a big money move to Bayern, won the Bundesliga as a starter. He is now 24. Clearly his career has not panned out.
Good for him. What does that have to do with his development?

It is called an agenda.
The clowns disappear as soon as he starts playing well.
When is he going to start playing "well"? Slow as shit, he's got the pace of a dump truck. If we're trying to play a high line, and we are, he's useless. 5th choice, stop gap at best. He's still here because we'll never get close to half of what we spent on him.

When is he going to start playing "well"? Slow as shit, he's got the pace of a dump truck. If we're trying to play a high line, and we are, he's useless. 5th choice, stop gap at best. He's still here because we'll never get close to half of what we spent on him.
He is still here because we can't get close to 40mil quid for him???? :lol:
I wish a club would bid half that amount for a few of the liabilities we have in our midfield and front line.
The way it stands at the moment he will be paired with Licha as our starting CB combo so let us all hope they can stay fit.

"Start playing well", the 11 years with no league trophy has made a number on our fans and now mediocrity is normalised.

We played Casemiro is central defence last season. Really you see no point in having a player of the calibre of De ligt??

Casual take. Sadly it's a very popular one.

Haven’t they basically been pushed out the door? Not sure where Bayern thinks their leverage is coming from.

I don't know where all the negativity is coming from. I'd have taken him over Yoro because he's good to go now, not in the future.

It’s ridiculous that some on here think he’s incapable of playing a high line just because he’s not lightning quick. Recovery pace is just a small part of the requirements. It’s much more important to be good on the ball and be able to play progressive passes. De Ligt is elite in possession. Literally top 5% in most possession and passing categories that matter.

Casual take. Sadly it's a very popular one.
How is this a casual take? He seems like a brilliant bloke but if he wasn't English, he'd be subjected to way more scrutiny. Which of the other top teams in the league would he even be a top 4 CB for???? The sit in and hope to counterattack by lobbing one over defenders to Rashford isn't working

How is this a casual take? He seems like a brilliant bloke but if he wasn't English, he'd be subjected to way more scrutiny. Which of the other top teams in the league would he even be a top 4 CB for???? The sit in and hope to counterattack by lobbing one over defenders to Rashford isn't working

This seems a bit of a bonkers take, as if he's got off lightly? That doesn't ring true at all. He's been scrutinised plenty.

Oh yes, another incredible RedCafe narrative that Pep and City fake an interest in "bad" players so that United will panic and overpay to sign them :lol:

The most reputable journalists confirming City's interest in said players doesn't matter I guess

Totally uninformed posters laughing at others

I guess it's easier to disregard facts and laugh because in hindsight you try to look smart, instead of realizing that for any player the environment is the most important thing that has the biggest say on how well they are able to perform in a team

I'm sure Messi would've scored 91 goals in 2012 if he was playing for Aston Villa instead of Barcelona, and I'm sure Rúben Dias would've looked like a world beater if he was playing for United last season.

This inability to understand something so obvious and so simple is why Foden is such an overrated player as well
You’re quoting me but I never said anything close to what you’re accusing me of? I never said city feigned interest & I never touched on any-one players environment? I mean, it would be silly to think that player’s won’t perform better in better functioning teams. Odds are that the majority would.

Your hypotheticals is what I laughed at. That Maguire would be a top 5 defender (CB) in the world had he signed for city. Even then, there’s a (slim) chance you could be right, but it’s the hypothetical that makes no sense. Anyway, cheers bud. Not too invested in this. I hope we sign MDL & were able to shift VL.

Wasn’t PSG and Liverpool linked but rumor has it he only wants to join us? Maybe I’m wrong yeah.

This seems a bit of a bonkers take, as if he's got off lightly? That doesn't ring true at all. He's been scrutinised plenty.
Come on. He's never been good enough to play the way we're trying to play. I feel bad for him. Seems like a solid guy and he'd be perfect for teams that are happy to sit back. We shouldn't be a team that's happy to sit back.

Status
Not open for further replies.