De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon €60m gets it done, which is about £50m. That’d be a good deal. They’d get €45m for De Ligt and €15m for Mazraoui

it's the result of us overpaying all the time under Woodward ... no wonder teams will take the piss and try to squeeze out more, because United always paid up in the end. New regime has its work cut out for them if they want to change that perception.

This is funny given how you were absolutely slaughtering the Mason Mount signing and trying to tell everyone how utter garbage he was. You're willing to defend Maguire to death, but not an actual good football player?
What exactly has Mount done for us to warrant being called “a good football player”. Maguire has done far, far, more for us than Mount has. But yeah, don’t let your agenda get in the way of your poor argument.

What exactly has Mount done for us to warrant being called “a good football player”. Maguire has done far, far, more for us than Mount has. But yeah, don’t let your agenda get in the way of your poor argument.
He's done it at Chelsea before he came here which means he can do it for us. Maguire is just really limited in what he can do on a football pitch.

it's the result of us overpaying all the time under Woodward ... no wonder teams will take the piss and try to squeeze out more, because United always paid up in the end. New regime has its work cut out for them if they want to change that perception.

Yeah changing perception will definitely be so important for getting better deals in future windows

He's done it at Chelsea before he came here which means he can do it for us. Maguire is just really limited in what he can do on a football pitch.
Chelsea is not Manchester United. And the 18 months prior he was wank for Chelsea, anyway. Recency is a thing in football. Dele Alli was once the second coming, remember?

Chelsea is not Manchester United. And the 18 months prior he was wank for Chelsea, anyway. Recency is a thing in football. Dele Alli was once the second coming, remember?
Recency is only a factor. Mount has shown the ability to get a huge number of assists and goals per season in the PL - far more than even Bruno who has also been poor for a while now. Ali is a unique case as he clearly has severe psychological issues.

Last edited:
What has Messi done for us to warrant being called a good football player? What sort of argument is that? A player needs to show he is great for us before he becomes a good player? He is a good football player because he has shown a very high level in PL and CL.
He has been injured for us and played only 500 minutes in a deep midfield role most of the time. What do you expect him to do?

The irony of you talking about agenda. Half your posts are about how shit Mount is :lol:

If we do get in De Ligt surely one of Maguire or Lindelof should think about leaving. They will effectively be fighting for the 5th/6th spot position or 4th depending on how we view Evans.

IMO it's fantastic news we we clearly back in for him. I was doubtful when it looked as though he would be our only CB signing (and Yoro was off to Madrid) but signing both of them makes me a lot more confident. Imperative we start the season with a CB partnership of de Ligt and Martinez, and have Yoro challenge once his injury is over.

Less keen on Mazraoui but it's undeniable that selling McTominay and Wan-Bissaka and signing the trio of Ugarte, Mazraoui and De Ligt would be an improvement in squad depth.

While it is certainly true that United has a history of massively overpaying for players - and not just under Woodward - in this case they are just trying to massively lowball Bayern. Two young players of 26 and 24 years of age, the former with two years left on the contract and the latter with three. Both with roughly 2000 minutes playtime each during the last season despite each having missed a lot of games due to injuries, so also not what you'd call surplus to requirements. And while Bayern have spent a huge amount this summer and would probably want to see de Ligt's wages off the book, they aren't in a position where they absolutely have to sell. They can afford to sit this out and just not sell if they find the offers to be unacceptably low.
And just like United does not want to be known to be easily taken to the cleaners on every player they bring in, Bayern can't have it be known that they can be pressured into giving away players for way under their market evaluation.

United is now in the very unfortunate situation to find themselves without Yoro for several months, which really weakens their leverage in the negotiation. They have more pressure to bring someone in than Bayern has to sell.

If we do get in De Ligt surely one of Maguire or Lindelof should think about leaving. They will effectively be fighting for the 5th/6th spot position or 4th depending on how we view Evans.
As we saw last season, 5th, 6th, or even 7th can become 1st & 2nd real fast.

While it is certainly true that United has a history of massively overpaying for players - and not just under Woodward - in this case they are just trying to massively lowball Bayern. Two young players of 26 and 24 years of age, the former with two years left on the contract and the latter with three. Both with roughly 2000 minutes playtime each during the last season despite each having missed a lot of games due to injuries, so also not what you'd call surplus to requirements. And while Bayern have spent a huge amount this summer and would probably want to see de Ligt's wages off the book, they aren't in a position where they absolutely have to sell. They can afford to sit this out and just not sell if they find the offers to be unacceptably low.
And just like United does not want to be known to be easily taken to the cleaners on every player they bring in, Bayern can't have it be known that they can be pressured into giving away players for way under their market evaluation.

United is now in the very unfortunate situation to find themselves without Yoro for several months, which really weakens their leverage in the negotiation. They have more pressure to bring someone in than Bayern has to sell.
we don't know that, especially since Ornstein didn't mention any numbers. So at this point, this is just speculation on your part.

we don't know that, especially since Ornstein didn't mention any numbers. So at this point, this is just speculation on your part.
According to reports United was offering €35m for de Ligt, Bayern want to see €50m at least, which is already considerably below the €67m that they paid for him. So I am certainly not just randomly speculating here.

According to reports United was offering €35m for de Ligt, Bayern want to see €50m at least, which is already considerably below the €67m that they paid for him. So I am certainly not just randomly speculating here.
weeks ago. We don't know what the joint bid was, and the fact that Ornstein said the players' camp was perplexed/bemused that it was turned down would lead me to believe it was close to Bayern's asking price. Certainly feels more realistic to me that Bayern wants to squeeze us, not that we want to blatantly lowball them. But in the absence of numbers, we can only speculate.

Also completely irrelevant what Bayern paid for de Ligt two years ago.

I reckon €60m gets it done, which is about £50m. That’d be a good deal. They’d get €45m for De Ligt and €15m for Mazraoui
I think they’d want a fair bit more than that. It’s our job to convince them we haven’t got it though.

If Maguire went to City in 2019, 5 years later I can guarantee that any suggestion that he isn't a top 5 centre half in the world would be laughed at.

@Leethal has a point

Last edited:
I think Bayern will never let him go without a fight. It's not just because of "United tax".
The streets remember De Light and he's still a big deal. The AJAX OG from back in the days.

Getting him in the door as quickly as possible needs to be our 1st priority right now.

If Maguire went to City in 2019, 5 years later I can guaranten that any suggestion that he isn't a top 5 centre half in the world would be laughed at.

@Leethal has a point
He can't play from the back. I don't think he'd even survive the first two seasons.

He can't play from the back. I don't think he'd even survive the first two seasons.

Why couldn't he? He showed that he can several times at United so I'm baffled at these "can't play out from the back" and "can't play in a high line" takes

Why couldn't he? He showed that he can several times at United so I'm baffled at these "can't play out from the back" and "can't play in a high line" takes
He "could" but the mistakes he made would have made Pep grow hair and go bald in the same week.
Can doesn't mean competent at it. Have you seen how City CBs play?

He "could" but the mistakes he made would have made Pep grow hair and go bald in the same week.
Can doesn't mean competent at it. Have you seen how City CBs play?

Yes I have, Maguire can do everything their mainstay CB Dias does for them

€65m + €10m in (easily achievable) add-ons and the two should be yours would be my guess.

They’ll be United players before our opening league game starts i reckon. Both sides will want to conclude this quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.