De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care. I was in the minority last season when everyone was telling me he was '5th choice CB' and should leave. Within a couple of weeks I was right and he was a first choice starter.
People wanted to replace Maguire for Todibo and you think you're vindicated because Maguire came in for a period when Varane couldn't stay fit, Licha was injured and Shaw was injured.

Bit of an odd conclusion to draw that you're "vindicated".

I’m good.

I stand by my comment. The majority of football fans today are absolute fecking morons who barely understand the game. Their takes are based off twitter posts, random arbitrary meaningless stats, or the latest fifa game - as evidenced in this very thread.

I suspect most other adults who have been watching football before the advent of social media etc. share a very similar outlook. And I’ll die on that hill.
I share your sentiment based on this place every summer. Every year a player most fans in this forum havent seen more than a handful of times is proclaimed better than so and so. The player comes in and we see them every week then same fans call said player a train wreck. Look at how they rate the players we try to sell 10-15m should be enough , championship quality etc

I don't care. I was in the minority last season when everyone was telling me he was '5th choice CB' and should leave. Within a couple of weeks I was right and he was a first choice starter.

When Maguire actually started to play games it was because he became the only choice or second choice (for two positions) to play because everyone else was injured.

In your Dutch biased opinion.
What has him being Dutch have to do with anything? Or dont tell me I know, if we dont agree with you, we must either love Holland or be ETH Lovers.. I dont even rate MDL that much, and i think there is better options. I dont even think that Maguire is a bad back-up, but he is not better than De Ligt..

Wow.. There is no other words to use about this nonsense..

The clowns in this thread who have been brainwashed by the media/social media campaign into thinking Maguire is awful. Do you even, actually, watch him play? Sure he had a rough patch for a bit (as all players do), but outside of that he’s generally been fine. From an ability/performance standpoint, there isn’t THAT much difference in Maguire and De Ligt; despite what their fifa ratings are, kids.
So again if we dont agree with you, people are either clowns and brainwashed by the media... Yes i think everyone have seen him play, thats why people think he is not good enough.. He is not as bad as SOME want you to believe, but if United want to get to where we belong, he is one of many to replace

I’m good.

I stand by my comment. The majority of football fans today are absolute fecking morons who barely understand the game. Their takes are based off twitter posts, random arbitrary meaningless stats, or the latest fifa game - as evidenced in this very thread.

I suspect most other adults who have been watching football before the advent of social media etc. share a very similar outlook. And I’ll die on that hill.
Please make your points in less inflammatory ways; posts like this get responded to in kind, and spark needlessly abrasive exchanges.

Maguire better than De Ligt is an absurd opinion.

I'm of course heavily biast in favor of all things Ajax, so yeah.
On the flip side, I do think it's absurd to say De Ligt is miles better than Maguire, which gets thrown about here too. To me he's slightly better at everything, bar heading. Being 5-6 years his junior, it makes it obvious he's better than him, but Maguire on form is a very good CB.

On the flip side, I do think it's absurd to say De Ligt is miles better than Maguire, which gets thrown about here too. To me he's slightly better at everything, bar heading. Being 5-6 years his junior, it makes it obvious he's better than him, but Maguire on form is a very good CB.
I think his early rise hurts De Ligt at this point. He was sensational at 19, won the golden boy award and was already the new Jaap Stam. He had a bit of a lull in his career ofcourse, but he had some fantastic periods at Juve and was world class in his first season at Bayern.

For the reported fee he's an absolute steal.

Yeah I can appreciate people having a different opinion, but the way some talk about De Ligt you would think he's an absolute world beater (who Bayern are happy to see go because they've got Eric Dier, and who couldn't get a single minute of action for an average Dutch side at the euros)

Yeah I can appreciate people having a different opinion, but the way some talk about D Ligt you would think he's an absolute world beater (who Bayern are happy to see go because they've got Eric Dier, and who couldn't get a single minute of action for an average Dutch side at the euros)
The centre back position isnt really what makes it average though is it. We've been absolutely stacked with great defenders for the last few years. Stefan de Vrij has had a fantastic international career and is simply better suited for the way we play than De Ligt. The fact we went from Van Persie to Depay and from Robben to Steven Bergwijn is what makes is the problem.

De Ligt has had 4 world class seasons and 2 average seasons at 24. Compared to Harry Maguire he's a world beater.

Now stop making me big up Ajaxplayers.

I think his early rise hurts De Ligt at this point. He was sensational at 19, won the golden boy award and was already the new Jaap Stam. He had a bit of a lull in his career ofcourse, but he had some fantastic periods at Juve and was world class in his first season at Bayern.

For the reported fee he's an absolute steal.
Definitely. To think he's only 24 and played at Juve, Bayern and potentially United, you have to be bloody good to hoodwink everyone if you're not a top player.
Yeah I can appreciate people having a different opinion, but the way some talk about De Ligt you would think he's an absolute world beater (who Bayern are happy to see go because they've got Eric Dier, and who couldn't get a single minute of action for an average Dutch side at the euros)
I agree people's dislike for Maguire can distort how good De Ligt is compartively, but that also doesn't negate how good De Ligt is. Bayern are moreso happy to get him off the books because of the wages - they'd probably prefer to get rid of the much bigger wage earners, but he will bring in a lot of cash too.

De Ligt is much faster than Maquire, is a much, much more progressive passer, and far more comfortable in possession

I rate Maquire put him in the right set up and he will be tops, but he just is not the right player for the style ETH wants to use, Maquire keeping a high line is a disaster waiting to happen, Maquire in a low block, there are not many better, and Maquire is top drawer in the air, we paid way over the odds for Maquire and unfortunately he has always been judged based on his price tag, put Maquire in a SAF team from 15 years ago and he would probably go down as a legend, but football has (unfortunately) changed

But De Ligt is a much, much better fit for our club right now, and a much better fit for a club wanting to compete at the top end, that he is left side, as is Yoro is of little consequence over all, if he is good enough, which he is, again price is key, and the price being touted seems fair everything considered

Really hope we can get the 2 of them sorted over the weekend.

The league is startling in 2 WEEKS.

We need them training with the squad early / mid next week.

Get it done! When was the last time we had a double signing?

Both players fit the bill. De Ligt is an upgrade on Lindelof and a more press resistant option compared to Maguire. He has great heading and leadership, much like Maguire but is faster, more mobile and, as stated, more press resistant. Based on watching him at Ajax for years.

LCB - Martinez, Maguire, Evans
RCB - De Ligt, Yoro

Not a bad collection of centre backs - move on Evans and Maguire next summer and go for Branthwaite again.

Really hope we can get the 2 of them sorted over the weekend.

The league is startling in 2 WEEKS.

We need them training with the squad early / mid next week.
The good thing is that both of them know what EtH expects from them in their roles/positions as they have done so for years. I'd expect them to only have to get used to teammates/speed of the league, not tactics.

Get it done! When was the last time we had a double signing?

Both players fit the bill. De Ligt is an upgrade on Lindelof and a more press resistant option compared to Maguire. He has great heading and leadership, much like Maguire but is faster, more mobile and, as stated, more press resistant. Based on watching him at Ajax for years.
Schweinsteiger Schneiderlin :o.

Get these two and replace McTom with Ugarte and we might be done for the summer?
I think so realistically.

Also move Lindelof on and that is probably it for this summer.

Hopefully got some room potentially for something in January as well

Joint bids now. Who would have thought this club could progress so far :lol:

Step by step we are turning into Ajax 2020

Terrible that Maguire.

Haters gonna hate. In reality, there isn't much difference when you look at stats. Maguire even doing it in a better league. But people will dream of a player they haven't watched much, hyping the player up to something he probably isn't.

I strongly doubt many on here have watched Bayern week in and week out and De Ligt against mediocre Bundesliga teams. They just remember his Ajax days and look at his physique.

Take a look at De Ligt being slow on the first goal here for instance. These are the things people who don't watch him play overlook.

The fact that both players are really up for the move and Bayern have to sell to continue buying suggests they can't try and negotiate too much higher. Imagine these deals will get done soon.

Still badly missing another striker that can give us 15-20 goals imo.
Another confirmed goalscorer, and another central midfielder who knows how to pass the ball about a bit. But yeah, it looks like we've heavily prioritised the defence for another season over the midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.