De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
feck me that's grim, I really really hope that we're not about to add a very expensive piece of deadwood again.
Half of those stats are pointless to consider for a CB, but the actual defensive ones need some contextualising. The logic follows that De Ligt would be making fewer tackles and clearances when his side holds the ball far more than Manchester United do. Bayern average around 61% possession in the league every season, we average around 50%.

Be pleased to see this one done. Wonder if it means Lindelof is quite close to the exit door post tour and something is lined up we don’t yet know about.

feck me that's grim, I really really hope that we're not about to add a very expensive piece of deadwood again.

Stats like that are meaningless when you compare the two teams last year.
United were absolutely battered week in week out last season so of course Maguire is going to make more tackles and blocks.

The double bid suggests we aren’t waiting for sales at least (or the required sales are pretty much done behind the scenes).

The double bid suggests we aren’t waiting for sales at least (or the required sales are pretty much done behind the scenes).

I think AWB to West Ham is pretty much done no?

De Ligt is basically what people thought they would get when we bought Maguire.

I think it's wise to have him in whilst bedding in Yoro.

Haters gonna hate. In reality, there isn't much difference when you look at stats. Maguire even doing it in a better league. But people will dream of a player they haven't watched much, hyping the player up to something he probably isn't.

I strongly doubt many on here have watched Bayern week in and week out and De Ligt against mediocre Bundesliga teams. They just remember his Ajax days and look at his physique.

Take a look at De Ligt being slow on the first goal here for instance. These are the things people who don't watch him play overlook.

I mean, for that first goal the midfield was non-existent and De Ligt was left exposed against the fastest player I'm the league. And the shot should've been saved.

I think you're just looking for reasons to be grumpy about this

Good. Love to see a bit of a player revolt when fair fees and wages are already offered.
Licha basically shouted at the technical director at Ajax when they weren't playing ball. :lol:

Martinez,De Ligt,Yoro and then then Branthwaite next summer.

Lindelof out. Maguire probably survives another year.

Pretty happy with that going forward.

Looks like Bayern saw the bidder and started asking for more. You can play this slow and see how much of an appetite they have to continue paying wages for players excess to requirements.

Wonder if this bid was one that was expected to get the deal over the line prior to the Yoro injury? No doubt that's upped our need to get this done soon.

It's not easy to pick on the contest from that, Bayern against most teams are very dominant, De Ligt is the sort of defender who isn't going to let an attacker turn them easily, so most times they'll be no beee to tackle or slide in.

Well at least it's finally concrete movement for the first time since we signed Yoro, the offer perplexing player camps is a bit odd though
It’s Bayern’s rejection that has perplexed them, not the offer - which they all thought was enough for Bayern to agree too.

All very positive in the grand scheme of things.

Haters gonna hate. In reality, there isn't much difference when you look at stats. Maguire even doing it in a better league. But people will dream of a player they haven't watched much, hyping the player up to something he probably isn't.

I strongly doubt many on here have watched Bayern week in and week out and De Ligt against mediocre Bundesliga teams. They just remember his Ajax days and look at his physique.

Take a look at De Ligt being slow on the first goal here for instance. These are the things people who don't watch him play overlook.
Looks like he defends correctly, but gets beaten in a foot race by the fastest player in the Bundesliga history - 1) Karim Adeyemi - 22.77 mph (36.65 km/h)

Still badly missing another striker that can give us 15-20 goals imo.
I think that can be cherry on the cake next season though. A bit like how Arsenal did it, but they still refused to buy a striker last season.

It’s Bayern’s rejection that has perplexed them, not the offer - which they all thought was enough for Bayern to agree too.

All very positive in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah hopefully Pimenta channels his inner Raiola and starts turning tables over in boardroom

Terrible that Maguire.

Looking at the stats you've actually selected, what do you imagine they're telling you about these two players? Because a lot of the stats you've chosen to highlight seem either irrelevant or dicated by how much pressure a defence comes under rather than the abilities of the individual defender.

For example, here's how a similar comparison between Maguire and (taking a completely random example) Nottingham Forest's Willy Boly plays out:

Minutes: Maguire 1653, Boly 1438
Goals - Maguire 2, Boly 2
Assists - Maguire 2, Boly 1
Yellow Cards - Maguire 4, Boly 3
Red Cards - Maguire 0, Boly 1
Tackles - Maguire 1.31, Boly 2.88
Tackles Won - Maguire 0.93, Boly 1.82
Interceptions - Maguire 1.36, Boly 1.56
Blocks - Maguire 1.80, Boly 2.00
Clearances - Maguire 4.52, Boly 5.63
Errors - Maguire 0.05, Boly 0.00
Shots on Target - Maguire 0.16, Boly 0.38
Key Passes - Maguire 0.33, Boly 0.56
Through Balls - Maguire 0.00, Boly 0.06

Sell Maguire and buy Boly, apparently.

Maguire will stay. He was likely to play a fair bit as Yoro settled anyway.

We might try again for Branthwaite, especially if we still McT. We're not signing Silva.

I think they will get someone else in, but I just don't think it'll be De Ligt. Maybe if Bayern drop their price, but still a big if

I genuinely think Maguire will be the fourth choice centre back once everyone is fit.

Looks like he defends correctly, but gets beaten in a foot race by the fastest player in the Bundesliga history - 1) Karim Adeyemi - 22.77 mph (36.65 km/h)
You might want to start being a little bit closer to a guy that fast instead of being 1-2 metres away from him then.

Looking at their stats from the CL (de Ligt has more than 3000 min while Maguire is at 1300 min) they come cross as very, very similar players. de Ligt is probably a bit more proactive when defending.

Another difference is that the stats for Maguire are for him between 26 and 31. de Ligt has been between 18 and 24. I think that is promising.

Looking at the stats you've actually selected

I didn't select them, they are the default stats on the site.

I think they show that Maguire made more key passes, more tackles, more interceptions, found players offside more, was dribbled past less.

As I've already said I don't believe Maguire is a better player as football is not played on a stat pad. But when you see the per 90 actions it definitely isn't laughable to say they are a similar level of player currently.

Then Bayern are taking the piss. De Ligt is on huge wages, they clearly want to get rid, make a slightly improved take it or leave it offer.
That is probably what Bayern is counting on, so why is it "taking the piss" if you say yourself that United will counter with an improved offer? None of us know anything about the offer and asking price.

Does this read to anyone else that Bayern have been a bit snide and rejected an otherwise acceptable bid just because it's United at the table (who have overpaid in recent years)?

I hope not because I thought Bayern and United had quite a respectable working relationship.

I think they show that Maguire made more key passes, more tackles, more interceptions, found players offside more, was dribbled past less.

As I've already said I don't believe Maguire is a better player as football is not played on a stat pad. But when you see the per 90 actions it definitely isn't laughable to say they are a similar level of player currently.
Bayern fans, is De Ligt better than Maguire?

Does this read to anyone else that Bayern have been a bit snide and rejected an otherwise acceptable bid just because it's United at the table (who have overpaid in recent years)?

I hope not because I thought Bayern and United had quite a respectable working relationship.
Reading between the lines, it says we thought we'd made a bid they'd accept, it doesn't say that we made the bid they asked for then rejected, which of course would be poor form.

We don’t know the inner details of the negotiations so impossible to say.

United know that Bayern are looking to raise funds and both these players are on the transfer list, I wouldn’t be surprised if United have put a low offer in for them both as a pair with a message that basically says “here you go that’s two players sorted right now giving you time and money to spend elsewhere”. Two in the hand sort of logic.

According to reports, BM wanted 50M plus add-ons for De Ligt, and they accepted from Westham an offer of 15m plus add-on for Mazraoui, so was the offer 65m with add-ons or less than that? I do not see any tweet that indicates or speculates how much the club offered to BM and if the offer is a lowball or a good/fair offer.

So you also think it isn't laughable to say Maguire and Boly are a similar level player? Seems harsh on Maguire.

Tighter than a nat's arse are Bayern. I'd tell them take it or leave it, 24hr time limit before we move onto other targets.

Yep. They clearly want to shift these players on, let’s test their nerve. They’re probably chancing their arm on squeezing an extra few mill out of us after the Yoro news but I hope we hold firm.

So you also think it isn't laughable to say Maguire and Boly are a similar level player? Seems harsh on Maguire.

I mean I don't watch him every week but honestly no. Am I crazy for that?

If I was forced to rate the three out of 10 based on what I've seen I'd say something like

De Ligt 7
Maguire 6
Boly 5.5

Weird way of doing it but can't think of a better way to describe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.