De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, I think your in the minority on this one. I doubt you will find many who think Maguire is better than de ligt. Its not even a contest. De ligt is far superior as a CB.
I don't care. I was in the minority last season when everyone was telling me he was '5th choice CB' and should leave. Within a couple of weeks I was right and he was a first choice starter.

Only if they can't get someone else and Bayern drop their asking price.

I think De Ligt isn't top priority at CB anymore.
De ligt isn't being let go strictly because Bayern haven't secured Tah yet from Leverkusen. The deal with United is as good as done. Hence he hasn't even jetted out for pre season

Last edited:
De Ligt was Bundesliga team of the season 22/23. Slabhead couldnt make a pass to save his life
Wasn't Maguire in the Europa and Euro's team of the tournament in 2021? I'm not getting involved in the debate but this is an odd thing to look at.

Wasn't Maguire in the Europa and Euro's team of the tournament in 2021? I'm not getting involved in the debate but this is an odd thing to look at.
The same euro team of the tournament where Lukaku was in? I rest my case

D
De ligt isn't being let go strictly because Bayern haven't secured Tah yet from Leverkusen. The deal with United is as good as done. Hence he hasn't even jetted out for pre season
I'll take your word for it. Not against signing him, think we'd have really strong CB options. I just wonder if they've cooled on him since signing Yoro

Absolutely no choice now but bayern will jack up the price after Yoro injury...
Doubtful. They need to sell De Ligt and he's not on their tour. They've basically confirmed he's leaving, and he's only intent on joining us. They don't have as much room for negotiation whereas we can always turn to another defender and scare them.

We should just get him asap if we want him to be playable as soon as possible.. If he is indeed left out of the Bayern pre season trips, he will lack - after a longer vacation after the euro's - trainigs to help him get match fit as soon as possible.. The longer we wait, the longer it will be before we are able to play him..

We should just get him asap if we want him to be playable as soon as possible.. If he is indeed left out of the Bayern pre season trips, he will lack - after a longer vacation after the euro's - trainigs to help him get match fit as soon as possible.. The longer we wait, the longer it will be before we are able to play him..
We're waiting til the US tours over so he doesn't get injured, obviously

Evans is there for his experience and mentorship.....yesterday showed he's not up to the task anymore to rely on him in matches

we need to bring in De Ligt or Branwaithe to have legit cover this season at this position

I don't care. I was in the minority last season when everyone was telling me he was '5th choice CB' and should leave. Within a couple of weeks I was right and he was a first choice starter.

Pretty much everyone else was injured. Varane was sidelined for a while due to Ten Hags weird obsession with having a left- and a rightfooted cb.

I expect we will sign de ligt and the club won't care about whether he's left sided or right sided centre back. He's available, and a very good player.

I blame Guardiola for this obsession with passing angles for defenders and having to play a left footed CB on left and right footed CB on right of a CB pairing.
LVG started it

Its getting stupid at this point, ofcouse De Ligt is better than Maguire
De Ligt was Bundesliga team of the season 22/23. Slabhead couldnt make a pass to save his life
Dude, I think your in the minority on this one. I doubt you will find many who think Maguire is better than de ligt. Its not even a contest. De ligt is far superior as a CB.
The same euro team of the tournament where Lukaku was in? I rest my case
All is lost when one has to argue on De Ligt being better than Maguire

All of this is nonsense

Quality control
The clowns in this thread who have been brainwashed by the media/social media campaign into thinking Maguire is awful. Do you even, actually, watch him play? Sure he had a rough patch for a bit (as all players do), but outside of that he’s generally been fine. From an ability/performance standpoint, there isn’t THAT much difference in Maguire and De Ligt; despite what their fifa ratings are, kids.

The clowns in this thread who have been brainwashed by the media/social media campaign into thinking Maguire is awful. Do you even, actually, watch him play? Sure he had a rough patch for a bit (as all players do), but outside of that he’s generally been fine. From an ability/performance standpoint, there isn’t THAT much difference in Maguire and De Ligt; despite what their fifa ratings are, kids.
Are you Maguire's agent? :lol:

Have you been watching Utd only since Fergie retired that mediocrity is the gold standard by which Utd players are measured against?

Whilst I suspect that there is certainly a more balanced and nuanced view of Maguire’s ability to be had - one based on a rational real world application of his strengths and weaknesses, and not conforming to internet extremes of “utter shite” or “world class” and little in between - I also suspect you might have better luck in winning people over to your line of thinking by not making your opening gambit calling everyone “clowns”. Unfortunately, for you, it runs the risk of very much creating a “pot calling the kettle black” type situation.

This thread has been a bit of a disaster today but I think it hasn't been mentioned in this Maguire v De Ligt De Bate that while I am of the opinion De Ligt is better overall than Maguire what's really. more important is that De Ligt's skillset is much more suited to how ETH wants to the team to set up with and without the ball and how he wants to play through opponents presses.

Don't think we will ever win the epl if Maguire is our first choice CD. Yes, unfortunately, I have to watch him play season after season and seeing him make mistakes after mistakes. Even when he comes in as a sub on the 85th min while we are leading, I would worry that he is going to blow it for us. That's the amount of trust I have in him unfortunately.

He can only be a 3rd choice CD if we are serious about challenging for the title. Is De Ligt better than him? I am not sure but I am definitely keen to see someone else in defence other than Maguire and Lindelof

Hard to compare the statistics as Maguire plays in a team that is very leaky and he will have more opportunities to put in a tackle, block, interception. De Light plays in Bayern where he has to defend only against 3-4 teams a year

Hard to compare the statistics as Maguire plays in a team that is very leaky and he will have more opportunities to put in a tackle, block, interception. De Light plays in Bayern where he has to defend only against 3-4 teams a year

Van Dijk will and does best Maguire in all those stats. Good sides have plenty of defensive actions, they just do them very well.

Then in addition to that he has more key passes, more assists, catches players offside more, booked less, is dribbled past less often, gave away less fouls, won loads more Ariel duels.

I don't think Maguire is a better player as games are not played on a stat pad but to laugh at the idea that they are a comparible level is hyperbole.

Whilst I suspect that there is certainly a more balanced and nuanced view of Maguire’s ability to be had - one based on a rational real world application of his strengths and weaknesses, and not conforming to internet extremes of “utter shite” or “world class” and little in between - I also suspect you might have better luck in winning people over to your line of thinking by not making your opening gambit calling everyone “clowns”. Unfortunately, for you, it runs the risk of very much creating a “pot calling the kettle black” type situation.
I’m good.

I stand by my comment. The majority of football fans today are absolute fecking morons who barely understand the game. Their takes are based off twitter posts, random arbitrary meaningless stats, or the latest fifa game - as evidenced in this very thread.

I suspect most other adults who have been watching football before the advent of social media etc. share a very similar outlook. And I’ll die on that hill.

I’m good.

I stand by my comment. The majority of football fans today are absolute fecking morons who barely understand the game. Their takes are based off twitter posts, random arbitrary meaningless stats, or the latest fifa game - as evidenced in this very thread.

I suspect most other adults who have been watching football before the advent of social media etc. share a very similar outlook. And I’ll die on that hill.
This is funny given how you were absolutely slaughtering the Mason Mount signing and trying to tell everyone how utter garbage he was. You're willing to defend Maguire to death, but not an actual good football player?

Maguire will stay. He was likely to play a fair bit as Yoro settled anyway.

We might try again for Branthwaite, especially if we still McT. We're not signing Silva.

I think they will get someone else in, but I just don't think it'll be De Ligt. Maybe if Bayern drop their price, but still a big if
Yes, I don't want de Ligt either. However, we do need another good CB to come in as just having the numbers is not enough, we need a quality addition alongside Martinez and Yoro.

Status
Not open for further replies.