De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
42 million feels really reasonable based on his age and the current transfer market. For reference it's similar to Max Kilman who is 3 years older and also Max Kilman.

Think United should get this done this now. We are interested and our bid is not far from what Bayern wants. And now we need a CB with Yoro out for 3 months

Think United should get this done this now. We are interested and our bid is not far from what Bayern wants. And now we need a CB with Yoro out for 3 months

Us having more need of a CB from a football perspective doesn't mean we can suddenly afford one from a financial perspective. If we need to sell in order to buy, Yoro getting injured doesn't change that.

This is probably the priority (or another CB) now after Yoro’s 2 month injury.

Judging by our luck if we were to sign him or another CB then they will probably pull up injured sooner rather than later

Yeah especially with his injury troubles,almost wonder if we need a cheap LCB too now with how long Yoro is out, not that we have the budget for it.

Us having more need of a CB from a football perspective doesn't mean we can suddenly afford one from a financial perspective. If we need to sell in order to buy, Yoro getting injured doesn't change that.
We are hardly 10m apart in our evaluation according to the reports. If we have bid 35m euros then i dont see how 10m euros is going to be such a financial issue.

It's just really annoying because normally you'd expect Yoro to stay fit and you drag this one out as long as possible to force Bayern to blink first.

I think we still need to be brave drag this on. Maybe posture and say we're happy with Martinez, Yoro, Maguire and Lindelof as the 4 CB options for this season.

Wrap up Rabiot, Mazraoui for AwB and Ugarte (on a loan + obligation to buy) for next season and sit on this one.

Do you think we are actually in for Rabiot then and are PSG really open to a loan with obligation for Ugarte?

Do you think we are actually in for Rabiot then and are PSG really open to a loan with obligation for Ugarte?

I don't think we're really in for Rabiot but PSG being open to loan + obligation was I think widely reported? But the latest I saw on the Rabiot transfer was him wanting 130k-150k or something like that. Doesn't seem like a bad idea to take a punt.

I don't think we're really in for Rabiot but PSG being open to loan + obligation was I think widely reported? But the latest I saw on the Rabiot transfer was him wanting 130k-150k or something like that. Doesn't seem like a bad idea to take a punt.

Shame that figure was coming from Caught Offside, surely the pursuit of De Ligt and hopefully selling of Lindelof will now pick up pace

Yes Bayern will milk it for every penny now knowing United really need another CB

Yes Bayern will milk it for every penny now knowing United really need another CB
They aren’t in a great position themselves when they still want to get rid of his wage.
We also still have 4 CBs on the books right now. We're not going to hit the panic button and just pay what they've asked, people need to chill out.

Yoro is 18 and at worst will be back in November, but it might be earlier. I honestly don't think De Ligt is the priority at CB now and we're more concerned with cover at LCB.

At this point I'm not expecting De Ligt to end up at OT.

We also still have 4 CBs on the books right now. We're not going to hit the panic button and just pay what they've asked, people need to chill out.

Yoro is 18 and at worst will be back in November, but it might be earlier. I honestly don't think De Ligt is the priority at CB now and we're more concerned with cover at LCB.

We have 5 right now and only two are our future:

- Evans is an insurance policy.
- Maguire and Lindelof aren't good enough. Our level just drops a few notches if either of them starts.
- That leaves us with Yoro and Martinez. One is an 18 year old newbie who is out for 3 months and the other spent almost the entire last season injured.

We definitely need a new CB to join and ideally one or both of Maguire and Lindelof to leave. I am not sure de Ligt is the guy but we need to add another one who is of a much higher quality than those two. We need someone who is equally adept at playing both on the right or the left. Brainthwaite, Antonio Silva or someone else who has top potential.

Yes another 3 months of lindelof/maguire will surely not put a dent in the early season

I expect we will sign de ligt and the club won't care about whether he's left sided or right sided centre back. He's available, and a very good player.

I blame Guardiola for this obsession with passing angles for defenders and having to play a left footed CB on left and right footed CB on right of a CB pairing.

I expect we will sign de ligt and the club won't care about whether he's left sided or right sided centre back. He's available, and a very good player.

I blame Guardiola for this obsession with passing angles for defenders and having to play a left footed CB on left and right footed CB on right of a CB pairing.
He stole that idea from someone you know....

The Dutch invented football, never forget! :p

We are a Martinez injury away (Not unlikely) from another Maguire/Lindelöf partnership with Evans as back-up.
I agree, which would mean we may even look to spend the money in our budget earmarked on De Ligt on more bodies, than just De Ligt. We were always going to get another CB.

Agree. Buying a CB to put our new £50m signing further down the pecking order doesn't make sense to me. Bigger priorities elsewhere.

We need this signing.

I love Martinez but he can’t stay fit. Without De Ligt we’ll be lining up Maguire and Evans by October.

We need to get this one done, now with the Yoro injury. Would be suicide to go into the season with our current set of center backs.

We need this signing.

I love Martinez but he can’t stay fit. Without De Ligt we’ll be lining up Maguire and Evans by October.
De Ligt is no spring chicken himself sadly. He had some bigger injuries last season and I'm needing some convincing that he's over them.

De Ligt is no spring chicken himself sadly. He had some bigger injuries last season and I'm needing some convincing that he's over them.

What’s your definition of a spring chicken? And if it’s not that a person is young or a young chicken available for eating in springtime then you are wrong :lol:

De Ligt is only 24, 25 later this month. That is young in centre backs. Now, as for being injury prone…..

Bayern upon hearing the news:

"Well, well, well! How the pendulum swings! It is, how you say? In our favour now..

The price of the brick has gone up!" *evil laugh and twiddle of comedy moustache.

What’s your definition of a spring chicken? And if it’s not that a person is young or a young chicken available for eating in springtime then you are wrong :lol:

De Ligt is only 24, 25 later this month. That is young in centre backs. Now, as for being injury prone…..
A spring chicken for me isn't anyone that's not old. It's someone fit and young. De Ligt had issues with fitness last year.

Absolutely no choice now but bayern will jack up the price after Yoro injury...

We have 5 right now and only two are our future:

- Evans is an insurance policy.
- Maguire and Lindelof aren't good enough. Our level just drops a few notches if either of them starts.
- That leaves us with Yoro and Martinez. One is an 18 year old newbie who is out for 3 months and the other spent almost the entire last season injured.

We definitely need a new CB to join and ideally one or both of Maguire and Lindelof to leave. I am not sure de Ligt is the guy but we need to add another one who is of a much higher quality than those two. We need someone who is equally adept at playing both on the right or the left. Brainthwaite, Antonio Silva or someone else who has top potential.
Maguire will stay. He was likely to play a fair bit as Yoro settled anyway.

We might try again for Branthwaite, especially if we still McT. We're not signing Silva.

I think they will get someone else in, but I just don't think it'll be De Ligt. Maybe if Bayern drop their price, but still a big if

Yes another 3 months of lindelof/maguire will surely not put a dent in the early season
If the rest of the defence can stay fit and we get a more defensive midfielder in then it should be fine.

Maguire is likely staying anyway and Yoro is only 18. This season would have been a big learning curve for him anyway.

Agree. Buying a CB to put our new £50m signing further down the pecking order doesn't make sense to me. Bigger priorities elsewhere.
A 18 year old can't be expected to play 60 games a season without risk of burn out or injuries. His minutes would have to be managed meaning we would still require a partner for Martinez or for someone else of high quality to step in when Martinez is injuries to partner with Yoro.

Only if they can't get someone else and Bayern drop their asking price.

I think De Ligt isn't top priority at CB anymore.

A 18 year old can't be expected to play 60 games a season without risk of burn out or injuries. His minutes would have to be managed meaning we would still require a partner for Martinez or for someone else of high quality to step in when Martinez is injuries to partner with Yoro.
He wouldn't anyway. He'd have been 3rd choice behind Maguire (who De Ligt is no better than).

Only if they can't get someone else and Bayern drop their asking price.

I think De Ligt isn't top priority at CB anymore.
I agree I think Branthwaite has always been the no1 priority this summer. However I don't think we will meet Everton's asking price.

I do think we would have a very unhappy manager if we didn't sign de ligt. It's just the transfer fee and our cash flow issues holding up the deal. I would be happy to have de ligt this summer and Branthwaite next summer. That would give us four top quality CBs.

Also with de ligt he is a proven winner, a leader of men. That sort of personality in our team can only help raise standards and raise demands of his teammates in training and on the pitch.

Last edited:
Nobody plays 60 games so I don’t expect that, but rumours are he turned down Liverpool because they couldn’t guarantee him enough game time. Anyways, nobody could know where in the pecking order he will end up as he has never played in the PL before.

De Ligt was Bundesliga team of the season 22/23. Slabhead couldnt make a pass to save his life
Tbf I dont think Maguire is our biggest problem, but saying he is better than De Ligt and that we are fine with him is just silly

Status
Not open for further replies.