De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or we bring three at the back into our repertoire
Possibly but ETH never uses that does he. I think it’s more for squad depth. Martinez was out for a lot of time last season and this will mean we’re not dropping in quality when bringing in another CB to replace an injured one.

I like that we’re still trying to do this deal despite signing Yoro. Build a very strong base from the back… make us hard to play against first. Aslong as we are solid at the back then there’s always a chance we nick a goal at the other end. Could see a lot of 1-0s.

Why would he have to be involved in the 25% decrease this year?
He had nothing to do with our failure to qualify for the ECL.
The reporting was that he would accept a lower salary than at Bayern, around £170k.
Why are you taking everything so literal. I’m just suggesting that he might have agreed to have that clause in place to accept £170k this season, with it rising back up close to his usual wage when we qualify for the champions league.

I find it almost impossible to believe a player would give up 80k a week, given he was a starting player for Bayern when fit, joining a non champions league club, with no guarantee of starting here.

If the reports are right, great. Plenty of reports are wrong.

only 24 days to our first match in the PL. 18 days till the community shield. We need this done by next week.

Not sure why we don’t just keep
Maguire as a senior defender rather than pursue De Ligt personally. Fairly similar defenders to me.
I said this in a round about way earlier.

De Ligt is a better player I think. But I’m not confident he’s £40m better where that money couldn’t be better spent elsewhere and make more of an impact.

Assuming that Yoro plays significant minutes I’m not sure that we aren’t better off either trying to sign a CB with both height and pace (Branthwaite) over De Ligt.

At £30m though I think it’s good value for a quality experienced and young CB.

only 24 days to our first match in the PL. 18 days till the community shield. We need this done by next week.
De Ligt is on holiday until 2nd August so I don't think this will be done until next week at the earliest. I'd expect the clubs to find an agreement early next week and then flies straight to Manchester for his medical. I think the squad returns back home on 5 August from the US so he likely won't start training before that anyway.

De Ligt is on holiday until 2nd August so I don't think this will be done until next week at the earliest. I'd expect the clubs to find an agreement early next week and then flies straight to Manchester for his medical. I think the squad returns back home on 5 August from the US so he likely won't start training before that anyway.

He should have some minutes in the community shield. Because I doubt Martinez will be available for the first game in the league.

He should have some minutes in the community shield. Because I doubt Martinez will be available for the first game in the league.
Bit overly pessimistic - he came through the Copa America fine

Which could mean he's due an injury.
Not as much :) His injury vs West Ham was different and I feel he's proved to be over it. It's not like he's Mason Mount

:p, isn't he on holiday late into the pre- season?
he would have got 3 weeks like the rest so I'd assume he'd be available for selection for the shield. He'd miss the tour though sure. The shield is probably a good game to give him some fitness in

given the relative small gap between offer and valuation I am hopeful that this will happen, would be weird having a proper CB set up irrespective of injuries, Martinez, Yoro, De Ligt, could easily form a rotating partnership for the next 5 + years .... this has been unsettled since Vidic left

The issue isn’t De Ligt, he’s agreed terms. The issue is Bayern wanting more than we’re willing to pay.

The issue isn’t De Ligt, he’s agreed terms. The issue is Bayern wanting more than we’re willing to pay.
Umm yes...but what does that have to do with what I said? I replied to the poster who was talking about getting this done soon. Even if we get it done today, De Ligt won't start training until early August. My point was there's no urgency in getting it done this week or ASAP as De Ligt won't start training until after 2nd August anyway.

I really like De Ligt, I think he is gonna be our best center back next season. Him and Yoro as first options and Martinez as third will be the most likely scenario.
How can you not rate Martinez. Insanity.

De Ligt can cover both sides. He played on the left next to Bonucci at Juve, and plays on the left when paired with Upamecano at Bayern. If we're playing Dyche's Everton or Brentford, we might want to start with both him and Yoro. If either of Martinez or Yoro is injured or rested, he plays.

We'd finally have almost as much CB depth as City. You're allowed to have more than 11 decent players.

:p:+1:

That's regardless of the sum..

As a transferfee on itself.. In the current day and age in the context of current football.. 40 million pounds for a 24 year old Matthijs de Ligt is an absolute steal
Common man, we have money shits.

De Ligt can cover both sides. He played on the left next to Bonucci at Juve, and plays on the left when paired with Upamecano at Bayern. If we're playing Dyche's Everton or Brentford, we might want to start with both him and Yoro. If either of Martinez or Yoro is injured or rested, he plays.

We'd finally have almost as much CB depth as City. You're allowed to have more than 11 decent players.
Nope, you have a first XI and you run them into the ground. It's the only way.

30M is a fair price for someone who’s had two moves since Ajax and presumably on decently high wages. Bayern can’t reasonably expect to recoup their outlay here.

I remember Arsenal having this issue of lack of cover for many seasons. Attributing each season of misses to injuries. Who would have guessed that first team players can be out for a few months? Who wouldn't?

If we intend to be serious about catching the leaders and winning trophies, we better have more than a strong 1st 11. We need a strong cover in almost every position.

Not sure why we don’t just keep
Maguire as a senior defender rather than pursue De Ligt personally. Fairly similar defenders to me.
De Ligt is a lot younger, more suited to Ten Hag's style of play, and is available at a decent price. If we swap Maguire for De Ligt for an overall outlay of 20m or something like that, I think that makes far more sense than keeping Maguire until he's worth very little.

30M is a fair price for someone who’s had two moves since Ajax and presumably on decently high wages. Bayern can’t reasonably expect to recoup their outlay here.
Yeah maths aside, we need an extra 5 million to reinforce some of the stands at OT if the Ligt comes.

Math is more grammatically logical than maths.

We don’t say historys or Englishs or sciences when we mean the subjects of history, English or science, so why is it maths?

We do say histories when we are talking about different fields within history together. We also talk about languages plural when we discuss multiple languages as well as English.

Maths is short for the word Mathematics, which is used to cover a broad set of fields within the subject. Unless you have an argument for why the word should be Mathematic - then “maths” is the correct short form.

Why are you taking everything so literal. I’m just suggesting that he might have agreed to have that clause in place to accept £170k this season, with it rising back up close to his usual wage when we qualify for the champions league.

I find it almost impossible to believe a player would give up 80k a week, given he was a starting player for Bayern when fit, joining a non champions league club, with no guarantee of starting here.

If the reports are right, great. Plenty of reports are wrong.
Let's just wait and see then, when/if he signs.

I remember Arsenal having this issue of lack of cover for many seasons. Attributing each season of misses to injuries. Who would have guessed that first team players can be out for a few months? Who wouldn't?

If we intend to be serious about catching the leaders and winning trophies, we better have more than a strong 1st 11. We need a strong cover in almost every position.
While I agree with the sentiment, Arsenal is an odd example to pick. Saliba and Gabriel have been available for every single Premier League game for two years running!

While I agree with the sentiment, Arsenal is an odd example to pick. Saliba and Gabriel have been available for every single Premier League game for two years running!
He's not referring to the last couple of seasons, more the period where every year they'd bemoan their luck with injuries and not consider that injuries are something a football team may have to deal with.

I think this was true perhaps last year, but Saliba got injured towards the back end of the season before last and that started their beautiful capitulation.

I really like De Ligt, I think he is gonna be our best center back next season. Him and Yoro as first options and Martinez as third will be the most likely scenario.
Martinez is first name on the team sheet

I think this was true perhaps last year, but Saliba got injured towards the back end of the season before last and that started their beautiful capitulation.
You are correct sir!
He's not referring to the last couple of seasons, more the period where every year they'd bemoan their luck with injuries and not consider that injuries are something a football team may have to deal with.
Yeah, but the point on Arsenal being an example of needing good backups to compete at the top is undercut by the fact that, once they were competing, the backups were untested. With the exception of the Saliba injury pointed out by @Esquired_Animal , where they capitulated.

Anyway, I agree with having a strong group of centreback options. I just disagree that Arsenal are a good example of that - they've largely had very good fortune with injuries in that position.

I said this in a round about way earlier.

De Ligt is a better player I think. But I’m not confident he’s £40m better where that money couldn’t be better spent elsewhere and make more of an impact.

Assuming that Yoro plays significant minutes I’m not sure that we aren’t better off either trying to sign a CB with both height and pace (Branthwaite) over De Ligt.

At £30m though I think it’s good value for a quality experienced and young CB.
However If we sell Maguire, De Ligt doesn't have to be £40m better. He needs to be '£40m minus whatever we get for Maguire' better.

Indeed in terms of FFP, I believe that selling Maguire for £20m and buying De Ligt for £40m would be almost exactly the same figure on the books for this season. Maguire has one year of his six year contract left so should have a book value of £13.3m, so selling him for £20m would be a profit of £6.7m. If we buy De Ligt for £40m on a five year contract then he costs £8m a year. So swapping the two of them for those figures would only be a £1.3m cost this season for FFP (obviously a £20m cost in terms of available cash though).

Status
Not open for further replies.