Copa America 2015 | Tournament over, Eboue misses the final, everyone lols

Tevez just did something Aguero failed to do the entire game, pass to Messi.

I actually thought at the start of the game Aguero saying he'd like to win Balon D'or, is that all of a sudden making him not want to pass to him. He failed to register a pass to him the entire game (or is it because Aguero just tends to look at the goal nothing else, also ignored Di Maria).

Aguero and Messi are like the best of friends. I think Aguero is phisically on top and he trusts himself too much, but that's all.

Never have personally, I am not part of the coaching or playing staff so it's hard for me to say we
https://www.redcafe.net/search/18605095/?page=2&q=We&o=date&c[user][0]=84126
This is why the England national team is terrible, we go for tall strong etc first then technique second.
The best CB is probably Thiago Silva who is complete class but he's obviously nowhere near attainable although I wanted him when he was at AC Milan and we were never in for a CB during that period.

I think if we got Otamendi we're really in for a treat next year, especially if we can get a holding midfielder to replace Carrick and a good CB next to him.
I'm glad we didn't sign one of the best midfielders I've seen in the last 15 years from a defensive standpoint.
sorry :p

But really I think it's something we all do instinctively. We don't even realise we're doing it sometimes.

How strange. Are you in the UK?

Yes I'm from the north west, I just find it hard to say we, like if I'm referring to transfers I'll say "Man Utd need x,y,z" I won't say "we need" I just find it hard because I don't represent the club.

At work I'll refer to the company I work for as "we" because I'm employed there.

Rolán seems decent in this game, he's been Uruguays best player

You need to get out more.

Yes I'm from the north west, I just find it hard to say we, like if I'm referring to transfers I'll say "Man Utd need x,y,z" I won't say "we need" I just find it hard because I don't represent the club.

At work I'll refer to the company I work for as "we" because I'm employed there.

Fair enough. I've genuinely never encountered that and will admit I find it a bit strange. I am a lot more attached to Arsenal and ingrained in its history and culture than I have ever been for any employer. Haha.

Uruguay must wonder why they didn't apply that sort of pressure earlier. Good win for Argentina, really tough game

Good win for Argentina in all honesty, but they look like they lack the cutting edge thus far.

That was a well earned victory. Highly satisfying win for Argentina, very disappointing for Uruguay.

Argentina through with the last match promising to be a guay old time.

I didn't even realise Cavani was playing until I saw him at the end shaking hands with the Argentines.

Honestly think Suarez would have changed that game for Uruguay.. Argentina still look lacklustre (in comparison to the names on their teamsheet).

Enjoyed that. First game listening to Ray Hudson commentating...no way does he not have a sheet infront of him with all these phrases ready for him to use.

Honestly think Suarez would have changed that game for Uruguay.. Argentina still look lacklustre (in comparison to the names on their teamsheet).

I think Argentina have always been slightly disjointed even at the World Cup it was a scrappy win mostly on the way to the final.

It's quite difficult though for a national team these days to be at what a club level is, international teams usually rely on individual brilliance.

The reason Spain were so dominant and Germany in 2014 was because most play for the same club team so they know the philosophies of how they should play.

Uruguay are very stubborn though, I think that's the thing with south american teams, they run for fun and teams like Chile and Uruguay are very hard to beat.

Enjoyed that. First game listening to Ray Hudson commentating...no way does he not have a sheet infront of him with all these phrases ready for him to use.

I'd prefer Gary Neville to listen to, I'd prefer insight into the game rather than a man saying a chance is as rough as a pineapple, or that a pass was as sweet as a mothers kiss.

I don't generally need to know a wasted chance is as sloppy as a soup sandwich either.

The only time I ever find it strange is on the rare occasions I find myself talking about football to someone who doesn't follow it at all. I always refer to Utd as 'we', and would never dream of referring to my employer as such. My immediate team, sure, but not the company. Different strokes for different folks.

I think Argentina have always been slightly disjointed even at the World Cup it was a scrappy win mostly on the way to the final.

It's quite difficult though for a national team these days to be at what a club level is, international teams usually rely on individual brilliance.

The reason Spain were so dominant and Germany in 2014 was because most play for the same club team so they know the philosophies of how they should play.

Uruguay are very stubborn though, I think that's the thing with south american teams, they run for fun and teams like Chile and Uruguay are very hard to beat.
Comparing Chile to Uruguay is almost offensive. I've never seen Uruguay play slick football like Chile has been playing for the last 6-7 years. Uruguay play their usual rough football, which some people seem to appreciate, but not me.

Indeed. Can't complain about that, it was always going to be tough keeping them out and we could have drawn if Rolán hadn't skied that shot or Romero didn't pull a superb save at the death.

It's quite satisfying to see that even without Suárez they managed to give Argentina a run for their money. The new kids did very well and didn't look overawed, good stuff, just a shame Tabárez persists with Lodeiro ahead of de Arrascaeta.

Only major downside was Godín's second yellow, which will keep him out of the Paraguay game. Having to get a result against them, without Godín at the back when they counter... not looking forward to it.

i was actually praising uruguay, but the population thing is overplayed

mexico is a footballing nation, has 140 million people but hasn't won jack

Sure, it's not just population or else China should win every World Cup. More important things take precedence like:

- Being a football nation to begin with
- Physical/racial and cultural factors (and no, it isn't racist, it's a fact different nations have different complexions, athleticism, etc. Broadly, of course).
- Character and temperament

But then take Argentina and Uruguay, all the factors above are pretty similar, almost identical. What sets us apart is they have 13x our population so are more likely to unearth freaks like Messi and for every Suárez we produce they are bound to produce 13!

Sure, ultimately only 11 players get on the teamsheet so having 13 Suárez' isn't particularly useful, but we are Suarez-less given one player being suspended while they have Messi, Aguero, Di Maria, Pastore... And when they need to freshen things up they can bring on Carlos Tévez while when we need a goal we bring on Hull City's Abel friggin' Hernández.

At a certain scale it isn't an issue. I don't think Brazil should be 5x better than Argentina or win 5x as much, 40M people is more than enough to get a really competitive squad from and being able to navigate injuries, suspensions, loss of form, key players aging...

You lost Rivaldo and Ronaldinho arrived, Goofy got fat but Kaká arrived, he turned to shit and Neymar arrived... In the last Copa we had Diego Forlán pulling the strings, now we are expecting Nicolás feckin' Lodeiro to orchestrate the transition.

Three million people, 1.5m males, about 200K in ripe age for an NT... that makes for a very fragile and delicate balance, so I can't complain when the lads go out there and put in a fine defensive performance. They just weren't lucky enough to get a goal.

Sure, it's not just population or else China should win every World Cup. More important things take precedence like:

- Being a football nation to begin with
- Physical/racial and cultural factors (and no, it isn't racist, it's a fact different nations have different complexions, athleticism, etc. Broadly, of course).
- Character and temperament

But then take Argentina and Uruguay, all the factors above are pretty similar, almost identical. What sets us apart is they have 13x our population so are more likely to unearth freaks like Messi and for every Suárez we produce they are bound to produce 13!

Sure, ultimately only 11 players get on the teamsheet so having 13 Suárez' isn't particularly useful, but we are Suarez-less given one player being suspended while they have Messi, Aguero, Di Maria, Pastore... And when they need to freshen things up they can bring on Carlos Tévez while when we need a goal we bring on Hull City's Abel friggin' Hernández.

At a certain scale it isn't an issue. I don't think Brazil should be 5x better than Argentina or win 5x as much, 40M people is more than enough to get a really competitive squad from and being able to navigate injuries, suspensions, loss of form, key players aging...

You lost Rivaldo and Ronaldinho arrived, Goofy got fat but Kaká arrived, he turned to shit and Neymar arrived... In the last Copa we had Diego Forlán pulling the strings, now we are expecting Nicolás feckin' Lodeiro to orchestrate the transition.

Three million people, 1.5m males, about 200K in ripe age for an NT... that makes for a very fragile and delicate balance, so I can't complain when the lads go out there and put in a fine defensive performance. They just weren't lucky enough to get a goal.
I so want to see Iceland play a S-American team. Last time that happen was a friendly against Brazil more than 10 years ago. You have 10x the population that we do and we share a lot of similar traits. Great team cohesion, physically strong and athletic, no respect for the "big boys". You just do whatever it takes to win whilst diving is still a new thing here. Our "Suarez" is coming on 37 but he's still ticking.

I so want to see Iceland play a S-American team. Last time that happen was a friendly against Brazil more than 10 years ago. You have 10x the population that we do and we share a lot of similar traits. Great team cohesion, physically strong and athletic, no respect for the "big boys". You just do whatever it takes to win whilst diving is still a new thing here. Our "Suarez" is coming on 37 but he's still ticking.

:lol: A ticking bomb? That was all I could think of when I saw Diego at the last Copa, it was like an Indian Summer and I knew how ugly it would get once he was gone.

The "minor" difference you point out is easy to explain: Uruguay vs. Argentina is one of the oldest rivalries in football and we started playing each other over a century ago. It gets tribal, it gets nasty, and yes, you will do whatever needs to be done to win.

And I don't apologise for it, I rather pity those who don't have such rivalries to renew and look forward to. Not having a go here, I just think you probably don't have anything like it in Iceland, which probably explains your take on the game being so radically different. You root for your team because it's your NT, and want to win for the love of the game, while upholding its values, etc.

We couldn't care less about all that, it's war. If you find it a bit neanderthal, I'd add that's the only sort of war we ever engage in, far more civilised than Europe managed over the last century.

Very competitive game. Still want to see more for Di Maria.

Uruguay always play a physical game but for me they too often cross the line and the rest of their game goes to pieces.

Comparing Chile to Uruguay is almost offensive. I've never seen Uruguay play slick football like Chile has been playing for the last 6-7 years. Uruguay play their usual rough football, which some people seem to appreciate, but not me.

Chile do play slicker football. Then again Uruguay have been the better team.

:lol: A ticking bomb? That was all I could think of when I saw Diego at the last Copa, it was like an Indian Summer and I knew how ugly it would get once he was gone.

The "minor" difference you point out is easy to explain: Uruguay vs. Argentina is one of the oldest rivalries in football and we started playing each other over a century ago. It gets tribal, it gets nasty, and yes, you will do whatever needs to be done to win.

And I don't apologise for it, I rather pity those who don't have such rivalries to renew and look forward to. Not having a go here, I just think you probably don't have anything like it in Iceland, which probably explains your take on the game being so radically different. You root for your team because it's your NT, and want to win for the love of the game, while upholding its values, etc.

We couldn't care less about all that, it's war. If you find it a bit neanderthal, I'd add that's the only sort of war we ever engage in, far more civilised than Europe managed over the last century.
Us vs. Denmark in the past has sort of been like the US war on the native American tribes. I don't think we've won once and we're usually butchered.

But yes, our history is far from anything glorious and I think we're only now begun to be taken seriously. At this point I'd say I'm sure we'll qualify for the Euros and if we do we'll have done so at the same time in three different sports (also a first for the basketball team but a 9th consecutive one in handball which we are quite good at). I don't expect any rivalry to form but you never know. You really have to have success at international level to be treated as a rival. I'm fine with the underdog status.

We also play in blue like you guys so there's that as well.

Surely Argentina is going to start playing better? With all that talent they can't continue this surely? Messi can't honestly say that's the best he can do, Aguero has to get more involved, Di Maria has to start making basic plays and Pastore has to honor being Cantona's favorite player sometime.

Everytime I watch this group of players I'm shocked at how little they offer as a collective.

Surely Argentina is going to start playing better? With all that talent they can't continue this surely? Messi can't honestly say that's the best he can do, Aguero has to get more involved, Di Maria has to start making basic plays and Pastore has to honor being Cantona's favorite player sometime.

Everytime I watch this group of players I'm shocked at how little they offer as a collective.
It can continue. It was the case at the World Cup and they almost won it. That's why it's a team sport, though. Having a few good attackers doesn't make a quality team.

Aguero and Messi have been fine. Not sure why you single those two out? Di Maria has been disappointing. Really want him to do well.

Saw the pictures, he and those involved are just so lucky, could have been a disaster.

Us vs. Denmark in the past has sort of been like the US war on the native American tribes. I don't think we've won once and we're usually butchered.

:lol: Yeah, I imagined there would be rivalry there, but a key element of rivalry is competitiveness. If you are always butchered, who cares? At least you played the game the way it should and can keep your head up high... But if year after year it's a tight contest won by the tiniest of margins, rinse and repeat for a century... soon enough you would develop that streak of doing whatever it takes. In fact, you would end up finding most of the great stories revolve around such occasions (e.g. a cameraman once steeped onto the pitch and intercepted a goalbound shot from a striker who had lobbed the keeper on the edge of the box, there's also the "suitcase goal" when a physio treating a player placed his bag inside the pitch next to the post and a shot going wide bounced into the goal :lol:).

We also play in blue like you guys so there's that as well.

No better colour ;)