Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Bruno is a great player when played in his right position.

I really do not understand why we see him running around at the front of our press, he is absolutely wasted doing that.

I do not believe for one second he is doing it because he lacks positional discipline, he is too good of a player to do this, the only conclusion is that the manager has told him to do it.

If that is the case then the manager deserves all the grief that comes his way because he is wasting our best player.

I wish Ten Hag would deploy him as a right-sided central midfielder. This would allow him to make better use of his excellent crossing ability from the right whilst also playing deeper, helping to maintain more control in games and providing additional bodies in midfield.

Bruno is a great player when played in his right position.

I really do not understand why we see him running around at the front of our press, he is absolutely wasted doing that.

I do not believe for one second he is doing it because he lacks positional discipline, he is too good of a player to do this, the only conclusion is that the manager has told him to do it.

If that is the case then the manager deserves all the grief that comes his way because he is wasting our best player.

Where do you think his right position is?

I'm not OP but he should not be higher on the pitch than Garnacho or Rashford, which for some strange reason we are seeing.

Under Ole he was deep and passing to empty grass ahead for Rashford and our attack to beat the offside trap, he is so much better with time and space. You can probably see in our heat maps, we are so disjointed at the moment with him all over the place taking over the CF role. I hope with some better understanding of Zirkzee and Rasmus back things get better. In the opening games with Mount he actually looked the weakest.

I'm not OP but he should not be higher on the pitch than Garnacho or Rashford, which for some strange reason we are seeing.

Under Ole he was deep and passing to empty grass ahead for Rashford and our attack to beat the offside trap, he is so much better with time and space. You can probably see in our heat maps, we are so disjointed at the moment with him all over the place taking over the CF role. I hope with some better understanding of Zirkzee and Rasmus back things get better.

Yeah, I agree. In fact, I think his best performances under Ten Hag have come when he's played in a deeper role.

Under Ole he was deep and passing to empty grass ahead for Rashford and our attack to beat the offside trap, he is so much better with time and space. You can probably see in our heat maps, we are so disjointed at the moment with him all over the place taking over the CF role. I hope with some better understanding of Zirkzee and Rasmus back things get better. In the opening games with Mount he actually looked the weakest.
I agree with you. I think he's playing higher because Ten Hag might be showing more trust in the defence and obviously to try create more goals which we are lacking of. Not the most ideal situation but I'd say that's his thinking.

I wish Ten Hag would deploy him as a right-sided central midfielder. This would allow him to make better use of his excellent crossing ability from the right whilst also playing deeper, helping to maintain more control in games and providing additional bodies in midfield.
Don't like that at all. Place him on the right wing in some games or situations, not like competition is too great there. But don't put him in CM. I have absolute no idea what you could mean by him helping to maintain more control. I mean, this thread (and his predecessors) are full of (partially surely debatable) praise for him but I am not sure whether I actually read somebody talk about him helping to control anything.

The reason stuff isn't really working aren't related to him being in that false 10 role. It could work but the combination of his positional (in-)discipline, our "supposed" freedom and the not existing relationships between the players leading to us drowning in our fluidity sometimes. It is the right thing to do but with players not used to it it will take time to come off. The last thing we should do is talking ourselves into anything close to the illusion that he should be a CM. He can be a fine player. But play him where he does his best work, far from our own goal and preferably from our buildup.

Don't like that at all. Place him on the right wing in some games or situations, not like competition is too great there. But don't put him in CM. I have absolute no idea what you could mean by him helping to maintain more control. I mean, this thread (and his predecessors) are full of (partially surely debatable) praise for him but I am not sure whether I actually read somebody talk about him helping to control anything.

The reason stuff isn't really working aren't related to him being in that false 10 role. It could work but the combination of his positional (in-)discipline, our "supposed" freedom and the not existing relationships between the players leading to us drowning in our fluidity sometimes. It is the right thing to do but with players not used to it it will take time to come off. The last thing we should do is talking ourselves into anything close to the illusion that he should be a CM. He can be a fine player. But play him where he does his best work, far from our own goal and preferably from our buildup.

The idea that Bruno lacks the ability to control games is ridiculous. The only reason people believe this is because, under both Ole and Ten Hag, he’s been played almost as a second striker. However, whenever he’s operated in a deeper role, it’s clear he absolutely has the ability to control games. In fact, when Ten Hag bought Mason Mount, I assumed it was because he planned to use Bruno as an 8, with Mount in the 10 role.

As I’ve mentioned before, I’d argue Bruno’s best performances have come when he’s played deeper, allowing him to drop back and use his long passing to unlock defenses.

On paper, a midfield trio of Mainoo (left), Ugarte (centre), and Bruno (right) would provide fantastic balance, although I'd prefer our 6 to be a better passer of the ball.

The idea that Bruno lacks the ability to control games is ridiculous. The only reason people believe this is because, under both Ole and Ten Hag, he’s been played almost as a second striker. However, whenever he’s operated in a deeper role, it’s clear he absolutely has the ability to control games. In fact, when Ten Hag bought Mason Mount, I assumed it was because he planned to use Bruno as an 8, with Mount in the 10 role.

As I’ve mentioned before, I’d argue Bruno’s best performances have come when he’s played deeper, allowing him to drop back and use his long passing to unlock defenses.

On paper, a midfield trio of Mainoo (left), Ugarte (centre), and Bruno (right) would provide fantastic balance, although I'd prefer our 6 to be a better passer of the ball.
He doesn't control games because he has great long passing. Against high line defenses, he could be great and a great weapon offensively, but it also comes at a cost because he isn't a CM, and we could be exposed playing him deeper. He is a 10, should only play there because that's where he is best. Even his own words.

100% Agree. I think he would be so much better as an attacking 8 from the right than a 10/SS.

Will let him link-up with Amad/Garnacho & Dalot in the near side and then also give him options to find Rash/Garnacho's runs on the far side.

And he 100% has the ability to be disciplined, the gung-ho pressing doesn't work due to bad instructions from the coaching staff/team set-up.

Can only repeat, I have next to no clue how somebody could come to this conclusion but fair enough. I also didn't say he lacks the ability to control games, I said his strengths lie somewhere else so we should make use of that not trying to force a very good 10ish player into a CM role.

Maybe you saw what you wanted to see. There were a few games here and there where he really looked good in a more reserved role but saying that those where his best games, don't know how many people on here would agree with that. To me personally, it feels like another case of stuffing as many players into the team who are supposedly productive on the ball without really having actual balance in mind. Not saying your midfield wouldn't work, it certainly can when everything clicks, the fullbacks and wingers do their jobs, the striker being available for outballs but also pushing oppositions backline back and the defense as a whole to make things tight and compact. Issue is, this is the objective for quite some time and it hasn't really happened yet.

Me not wanting to see him in a CM role is also not a dig at Bruno and god knows I am not shy in giving those away. It is like thinking about putting Coutinho in CM because you also have De Bruyne in your team and you want the players with the highest fifa rating being on the pitch together. Understandable but probably doesn't end up working.

He has been poor for too long, seems to be declining. It was a mistake to prolong his contract imo

Every time I speak to people going to the game and even when I watch I ask "what was his position"

This guy is all over the place positionally, he presses on his own, he sometimes is on the left fecking stood next to Rashford - worst captain we've had in years and is passing is over rated.

He'll probably get a goal soon or an asset and posters will be on hype bruno train again, but too me he is a fundamental problem.

The completely free role. A second striker with no positional discipline, two dedicated midfielders behind him. If you indulge in him like that, you get a 20+ G/A second striker*. It’s just at the cost of playing a very specific type of football, the results of which don't justify the means.

* results may vary – his goal scoring ability has massively dwindled year on.

Not taking sides but I can see why some people would deploy Bruno in a deeper position. It’ll allow him to face the goal rather than with his back to the ball in the build up phase. When he plays deeper he seems less inclined to play that final ball when he does receive possession, thus hopefully help us keep the ball better.

He also has the chance to be closer to his midfield partners and play pass and move football where his roaming style can create overloads in the final third.

However he still has to be more disciplined when pressing in a unit, not take risks when not needed and be less sloppy, especially with simple passes.

Southampton 0:3 Man Utd New
This was a typical Bruno game where he manages to get an assist, but his build up phase when under tiny little bit of pressure is so poor hence why he always choose to get rid of the ball as soon as he receives it and he has this selfish mentality of wanting to get G/A’s over other sensible options to transition attacking phases, I cannot imagine how we will ever be able to play dominate football with him in the side.

He was our worst player and moves constantly broke down through him being dispossessed. But made a really important contribution with the goal for De Ligt.

Thought he was poor again but the game was pretty comfortable so not much to complain about. It is a bit worrying he is yet to get going at all this season, though.

He looked to be holding off on the Hollywood balls today. Good assist but thought apart from that he was absolutely terrible. Kept needing an extra second on the ball and getting dispossessed. The amount of times I was shouting at him to wake the feck up.

There is something about him that he seems to do at least 1 good thing in a match and somehow it actually "counts". Amad had 6 of those key moments but still got away with one, rather unimpressive assist.

I think he was by far the worst player in our team, we have other players pushing us forward now and I'd like to see him being phased out this season gradually.

Wasn't a big fan to begin with but I honestly think he's finished now.
Physically shot.

Poor games and form happen, and hope he picks it up again.

Really wish he would stop waving his arms and complaining when others shoot. He takes the most pointless shots out of everyone and he’s our captain

How can such an experienced player not have any nuance about controlling a game? Helter skelter is an understatement.

Not a fan of him whatsoever. Sure, he has high production, but there is a tendency where he makes easy things complicated. At times he also looks like he plays on a different wave length. He also looses the ball so easily and don't get me started on the incessant moaning.

We should rotate him with Eriksen, who looks nice and tidy.

The two moments apart from the assist that stuck are when he gestured to his teammates that he got this only to lose the ball easily a second later.

A wonderful assist and a lot of erratic shit. Classic Bruno.

Poor games and form happen, and hope he picks it up again.

Really wish he would stop waving his arms and complaining when others shoot. He takes the most pointless shots out of everyone and he’s our captain
Yes and there was a moment where he was at least a few yards away from the penalty box, he cuts in and shot on his left foot and smashes in front of the opposition player, I seriously don’t understand what makes him think that he has a high chance of scoring from that situation.

4 poor performances out of 4 so far. Beautiful cross for De Light, but it's becoming clearer by the day this is not enough

Thought he was unironically the worst player on the pitch today. Decent cross (but hardly a difficult one and it was rehearsed), and just brutally sloppy and shit technically.

I'm growing quite tired of how inconsistent his technique is. Zirkzee legitimately looks like a better passer right now.

Good assist. Shite the rest of the time

which is pretty much how he plays football

Genuinely one of the most infuriating players I’ve ever seen at United.
He’s capable of absolute shite and moments of genius within the same passage of play.