Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OECD have said the unthinkable.
I can already see pitchforks.

Last edited:
Hate to say it but, yeah and? We dont accept dolls from china put together with nails or fireworks that explode in your face. Simple really.

It's nowhere near that simple though. Whatever UK companies sell to the EU, ie 55% of their exports have to comply with EU regulations, so simplifying it - 55% of your products are all made the same way.
Now if you want to replace your sales to the EU by sales elsewhere, Let's start with Australia, they have different requirements to the EU and much more stringent so you have to adapt your production to them, that may account for 5% of your sales, then the USA, which have different requirements, so you have to adapt your product for that market and so on and so on.
If you want a 100 page essay you can have it.
If you want it simple- it's going to cost a lot of money.

OECD have said the unthinkable.
I can already see pitchforks.

Can't wait for the referendum to be reversed. Political suicide awaits the conservative party either way. For all the criticism Corbyn gets, he's played this issue like Jose Mourinho - cards very close to his chest and letting the enemy capitulate.

All our regulations and laws currently meet EU requirements for trading and unless there is some political moves to prevent it these will all be incorporated into British law. So if I understand correctly, providing we keep up with EU requirements, we can still trade into the EU, but may be denied a trade deal, as such?

Key word currently. Going forward we will have no control over what the regulations actually are. Plus gaining EU approval will require testing by an approved EU-based facility. All of this adds extra complexity and cost (non-tariff barriers) which will be passed on to the consumer and make UK businesses less competitive.

It's not as simple as replacing half of our exports with another market. Each new market brings its own regulations, testing and in built protectionism. Not to mention the additional costs of transport for countries much further away.

Brexit (with no EU FTA) is extremely damaging to our exports, regardless of the falling pound.

Can't wait for the referendum to be reversed. Political suicide awaits the conservative party either way. For all the criticism Corbyn gets, he's played this issue like Jose Mourinho - cards very close to his chest and letting the enemy capitulate.
The Cons won't ditch Brexit until they can find a fall guy.

Where did this figure of 55% come from? Last time i checked UK exports to the EU were 10-12% lower than that, which is before you factor in the 'Rotterdam Effect' and the declining influence of the market generally.

As for travelling with your iPhone or the like - well i can take my entire UK plan to Europe and elsewhere for a modest enough rate already Nor do Vodafone have any intention of enacting Brexit based pricing.

I'd also like to thank the OECD for providing some referendum nostalgia; hopefully they are similarly received in the present day.

Where did this figure of 55% come from? Last time i checked UK exports to the EU were 10-12% lower than that, which is before you factor in the 'Rotterdam Effect' and the declining influence of the market generally.

As for travelling with your iPhone or the like - well i can take my entire UK plan to Europe and elsewhere for a modest enough rate already Nor do Vodafone have any intention of enacting Brexit based pricing.

I'd also like to thank the OECD for providing some referendum nostalgia; hopefully they are similarly received in the present day.
44% based on 2016 (services and goods exported)
https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-eu-trade/

Last figures $224bn out of $405bn goes to the EU, well Europe, a small amount isn't in the EU or customs union like Russia 0.86% - overall slightly more than 55%
http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/gbr/#Trade_Balance

This is trade only , your can't produce a service - plus the services will start disappearing anyway if it's a cliff edge

Last edited:
The Cons won't ditch Brexit until they can find a fall guy.

Yes 100%, but the problem is there is no way out.. they've managed to piss everyone off regardless of where you stand on the Brexit issue. UKIP to liberal, they will be toast and unelectable no matter which path they take from here. Ultimately the party itself is the fall guy, no one will escape from this untarnished..

Key word currently. Going forward we will have no control over what the regulations actually are. Plus gaining EU approval will require testing by an approved EU-based facility. All of this adds extra complexity and cost (non-tariff barriers) which will be passed on to the consumer and make UK businesses less competitive.

It's not as simple as replacing half of our exports with another market. Each new market brings its own regulations, testing and in built protectionism. Not to mention the additional costs of transport for countries much further away.

Brexit (with no EU FTA) is extremely damaging to our exports, regardless of the falling pound.

Technically the UK could also just trust EU-approval tests which wouldn't add any costs since there still will be only one test be made. Downside here is that the UK doesn't have any say in what said tests consists of, but I don't think public interests are that different that it's a problem really.

With Brexit I feel that the tariff-barriers are actually the ones that make the difference.

Technically the UK could also just trust EU-approval tests which wouldn't add any costs since there still will be only one test be made. Downside here is that the UK doesn't have any say in what said tests consists of, but I don't think public interests are that different that it's a problem really.

With Brexit I feel that the tariff-barriers are actually the ones that make the difference.

We could but not exactly sovereignty is it? Isn't making our own laws the whole point? Plus the fact that this still adds cost to the production process

So in other words we'll have to keep up with EU regulations but not have any say in what those regulations actually are. Great work there, hope you enjoy all this new 'control' you're getting back.

Yep and they will have to do the same with any of our new regulations.

Its still knocking spots of one another for no reason. Britain is better off out of the EU and they are better off without us.

All that's needed is for the EU to present us with an itemised bill, we leave the club, but still remain good friends, you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours, in terms of trade deals. Of course the real reason for the peevish approach from the EU, is the power seekers in the EU Commission and those on the gravy-train are s******g themselves that if Britain leaves, others may follow, that's what's behind all this 'punishment' talk.

I'm still of the opinion what will happen in the end is Britain will get what it asked for, but will have to pay billions into the EU (a sort of mini- Marshall plan) in staged payments over say a decade (could be £100B)in compensation. Both sides will claim a 'pyric victory', Theresa will of course come home saying she had to pay the money, fall on her sword and make way for a new Tory leader, also probably Juncker and maybe Tusk will also have to do the same.

Its all about money!

The Uk doesn't have any say anyway, you have to abide by the rules of the country you are exporting to, it's not a negotiation, you have to comply and yes it is a major problem

Yep and they will have to do the same with any of our new regulations.

Which represent a tiny percentage of their exports, compared to the 50% or so of ours.

Its still knocking spots of one another for no reason. Britain is better off out of the EU and they are better off without us.

You keep repeating this as fact, yet seem unable to give us a single coherent reason why.

Its all about money!

Yes, we're about to lose a lot of it for no particularly good reason.

Which represent a tiny percentage of their exports, compared to the 50% or so of ours.

It still effects both sides does it not?

You keep repeating this as fact, yet seem unable to give us a single coherent reason why.

The EU wants to move quickly now to a USE, we don't, end off!

Yes, we're about to lose a lot of it for no particularly good reason.

We will have to pay for our freedom, no doubt it, but depends on how much we pay in the next say decade as opposed to how much we save in the next 100 decades!

We could but not exactly sovereignty is it? Isn't making our own laws the whole point? Plus the fact that this still adds cost to the production process

No, as I said this is the downside. But looking specifically at this type of regulation it's not that big an issue, because the ratio legis for it is generally public safety/consumer protection and the UK won't have a significantly higher/lower standard than the EU does. I don't see why it would cost more to simply adopt EU-approval tests, it means the same procedure as before Brexit.

The Uk doesn't have any say anyway, you have to abide by the rules of the country you are exporting to, it's not a negotiation, you have to comply and yes it is a major problem

Yes of course, but that's not the issue at hand here. The thing is that there is no company in the UK that doesn't sell domestically but exlusively to the EU so the choice the UK government has (before a deal) is to either enact their own market-entrance test - in which they obv. can ask for anything they want - or accept the one from the EU without any say whatsoever. Regarding export to the EU market the former doesn't matter ofc.

No, as I said this is the downside. But looking specifically at this type of regulation it's not that big an issue, because the ratio legis for it is generally public safety/consumer protection and the UK won't have a significantly higher/lower standard than the EU does. I don't see why it would cost more to simply adopt EU-approval tests, it means the same procedure as before Brexit.

Yes of course, but that's not the issue at hand here. The thing is that there is no company in the UK that doesn't sell domestically but exlusively to the EU so the choice the UK government has (before a deal) is to either enact their own market-entrance test - in which they obv. can ask for anything they want - or accept the one from the EU without any say whatsoever. Regarding export to the EU market the former doesn't matter ofc.

If the Uk is outside the EU, the tests have to be done in the EU.
2nd point, some companies are purely focussed on the EU market, depends on the products. Can't wait for David Davis and Liam Fox explaining the No deal is better than a Bad Deal to them.
One of the trading companies I ran was a Uk based company that rarely imported into the UK

I don't see why it would cost more to simply adopt EU-approval tests, it means the same procedure as before Brexit.

Simply logistical - products will have to be sent for testing to the EU. Negligible on small products - bigger costs for big items.

We will have to pay for our freedom, no doubt it, but depends on how much we pay in the next say decade as opposed to how much we save in the next 100 decades!

You do understand that we're going to overturn this ridiculous nonsense within a decade or two once a sufficient number of pensioners have passed on, right?

_90089868_eu_ref_uk_regions_leave_remain_gra624_by_age.png

This is the future of the UK, not this nostalgic bullshit people like yourselves forced on us.

Only in the minds of remainers!

Brexit the idea whose time has come, continues to shine brightly, maybe the 'light bulb' moment will happen at some point for remainers, stranger things have happened, as they say, but I'm not holding my breath. Remoaners in particular will feel they are suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune..ah bless!

You do understand that we're going to overturn this ridiculous nonsense within a decade or two once a sufficient number of pensioners have passed on, right?

No, sorry you will be a pensioner by the time you get another referendum, just have to wait..like we did!

This is the future of the UK, not this nostalgic bullshit people like yourselves forced on us.

What exactly is the future, I can only see a table of votes cast/age groups, perhaps you mean you are going to keep holding a referendum until you get the answer you desire; however as your graph shows as people get older they tend to vote leave, looks like you can't win either way!

No, sorry you will be a pensioner by the time you get another referendum, just have to wait..like we did!

Don't kid yourself, Britain in 5-10 years with a much weakened economy will be looking enviously across the channel, and your core voters are dying off by the day.

What exactly is the future, I can only see a table of votes cast/age groups, perhaps you mean you are going to keep holding a referendum until you get the answer you desire; however as your graph shows as people get older they tend to vote leave, looks like you can't win either way!

You're trying to force a bizarre correlation from the data. Young people have grown up in a completely different world to you. Huge numbers of youngsters have travelled far more extensively than we ever did due to the increasingly low costs of air travel, they talk to a far wider circle of friends from around the world thanks to the internet, and they are far more media savvy when it comes to blunt force propaganda of the type that the Mail and Express like to spew.

The future is global, and there isn't a damn thing you or anyone else can do to stop it. All you've done is harm a generation of youngsters, who will overturn your nationalistic wet dream at the earliest opportunity and spit on your memories for making their already difficult lives harder.

Simply logistical - products will have to be sent for testing to the EU. Negligible on small products - bigger costs for big items.

If the Uk is outside the EU, the tests have to be done in the EU.

I don't think that is how it will work but my knowledge is more based around the legal aspects of the question rather than the practical ones. The certified EU-tester could easily set up shop in the UK for example, I must state that this is just speculating based on the fact that I don't see a reason for the EU to require these tests to be done inside the EU because the location of the test doesn't add anything to the process.

Even if we were to assume that you are right I think the costs would be negligible in the big theme of things.

Don't kid yourself, Britain in 5-10 years with a much weakened economy will be looking enviously across the channel, and your core voters are dying off by the day.

All it takes is a party to stick it in their manifesto - libs will - I suspect Labour will as soon as corbyn isnt the leader - SNP will - Greens Will

So unless the conservatives and (UKIP+DUP) can manage to win election after election I suspect its a matter of tie till there is another vote - I'm not sure the vote is a foregone conclusion though but the worse any brexit deal is then clearly the odds increase - I still wonder if they will have the votes to get it through parliament without another GE (which I guess would become a defacto 2nd referendum anyway)

and your core voters are dying off by the day.

'Waiting for dead men's shoes', how typical of remainers, true colour showing now... but won't embarrass you with a description

Young people have grown up in a completely different world to you

Really? That is surprising, its almost a revelation!

Huge numbers of youngsters have travelled far more extensively than we ever did due to the increasingly low costs of air travel,

Another revelation, no arguments from me on this one!

and they are far more media savvy when it comes to blunt force propaganda of the type that the Mail and Express like to spew.

Not sure I fully agree with this, true the daily papers are now seen to carry much 'fake news' (Donald isn't completely off the mark with that one),
social media is quite effective, but also intrusive, e.g. cyber-bulling etc. and it can also be, unintended of course, a medium for the 'transfer of ignorance', or in its extreme form sinister/terrorist propaganda, without any monitoring or oversight and on balance it can perhaps do young people as much harm as good, but since you want to be optimistic, lets assume it will ultimately be for the better.

The future is global

Precisely, that's why Britain needs to be outward looking and not shackled by the EU boundaries... my word I do believe the light bulb may have come on.. just have a quick look over your head!

I don't think that is how it will work but my knowledge is more based around the legal aspects of the question rather than the practical ones. The certified EU-tester could easily set up shop in the UK for example, I must state that this is just speculating based on the fact that I don't see a reason for the EU to require these tests to be done inside the EU because the location of the test doesn't add anything to the process.

Even if we were to assume that you are right I think the costs would be negligible in the big theme of things.

I've spent half my life doing this. My favourite one is Australia, we gave up shipping there for several reasons, one of them being that were the tests were too onerous and a pain, the shipping time doubled from 6/8 weeks 10 years ago to 3/4 months now, they're slow payers, something to look forward to for UK suppliers assuming that they actually want to buy more products from the UK which Brexiters think is a foregone conclusion.

I broke this down for the industry I work in a couple of pages back - I'm on phone so can't look it up but suffice to say it is more problematic than you think. Government contacts have no answers as they have no idea what is going on, let alone what problems are arising. The whole thing is a can of worms far more complex than saying it can be copy pasted.

that's one word to use to describe him that begins with C.
Don't know why people are still bothering with him, he's clearly a WUM and possibly even one of the paid Russian shit stirrers. I gave up after 2 posts of the condescending conservative cnut referring to me as son completely oblivious to how old I am.

Don't know why people are still bothering with him, he's clearly a WUM and possibly even one of the paid Russian shit stirrers. I gave up after 2 posts of the condescending conservative cnut referring to me as son completely oblivious to how old I am.

I thought he was a Russian too, but the way he types is exactly like another 70+ year old I know: condescending, overly-long paragraphs of irrelevant cliches and outdated metaphors that leave the reader more confused than enlightened. If he's faking it, he's absolutely nailed it.

Agreed 100%

Yeah noticed that too.

For years I never understood why there were roaming charges for data. I go to the UK and get charged 10$ for using BT as guest network, someone from the UK comes to Holland and uses 10$ for using T-Mobile, both companies bill each other for a tenner which is passed on to the customer. Thank feck they got rid of that
:lol: Jesus