Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sounds like the EU Commission needs to get involved and remind countries of their responsibilities, as your rights as a resident of an EU country before the end of the year are guaranteed under the Withdrawal Agreement.
We all have documents to that effect, which makes it even more infuriating. In Italy we have a special residency document which says that our rights under the WA are confirmed. It took ages to get it and it wasn't free!

Sex arse supremo. :lol:
:lol:I liked the throwaway line about him being 'the man credited with resurrecting the British sex arse industry', as if it's now a cornerstone of our economy.

What you are saying is normal, the customers in the countries you are shipping to will pay the VAT to their country's government.

But are you importing into the UK from the EU?

The article says:

VAT is now being collected at the point of sale rather than at the point of importation, a change that HMRC says will ensure that goods from EU and non-EU countries are treated in the same way.
This essentially means that overseas retailers sending goods to the UK are expected to register for UK VAT and account for it to HMRC if the sale value is less than €150 (£135).

VAT for all countries outside the EU had always been at importation not at the point of sale , now imports from the EU are the same as non-EU.

Makes zero sense.

Yeh its normal, but if all your customer base in a country includes a lot of small business 1-man-band's, putting the burden of import taxes on them all of a sudden is a big no go. Wont' be a problem for customers that already deal with import vat as a matter of routine.

Agree that article makes no sense, gunna assume the journo has mistranslated something... Easily done from HMRC guidance!

What happened to the 50, 000 customs officers, were they ever recruited and have they been fully trained?
I doubt it on both counts.

From Jan 1st we can apply for a new card, with biometric data on it. It's just for Brits resident in Europe, and the card will look the same whichever country issues it. However, once again the process to get it is lengthy (especially here) - you have to make an appointment at your regional Police HQ, make a payment beforehand which the Post Office will no doubt not know anything about, buy tax stamps ... :lol: Until that's been rolled out properly, the paper docs and ID cards we have should be more than enough.

Yeh its normal, but if all your customer base in a country includes a lot of small business 1-man-band's, putting the burden of import taxes on them all of a sudden is a big no go. Wont' be a problem for customers that already deal with import vat as a matter of routine.

Agree that article makes no sense, gunna assume the journo has mistranslated something... Easily done from HMRC guidance!

Yes, before it was just declaring the VAT in a different box.

I have a very low opinion of HMRC, nobody ever seemed to know what they were doing and that was way before Brexit was thought of.

Brexit opening up to global trading must be the biggest joke of all time.

From Jan 1st we can apply for a new card, with biometric data on it. It's just for Brits resident in Europe, and the card will look the same whichever country issues it. However, once again the process to get it is lengthy (especially here) - you have to make an appointment at your regional Police HQ, make a payment beforehand which the Post Office will no doubt not know anything about, buy tax stamps ... :lol: Until that's been rolled out properly, the paper docs and ID cards we have should be more than enough.

My son-in-law (who lives next door) has retained UK nationality and has a British passport, has his own business and lived here for over 13 years like us. He's the only one in our family who doesn't have French nationality. As he has lived here more than five years and has his own business, he needed nothing until Brexit but was able to apply in October for his Carte de Séjour , biometric with photo etc , cost nothing, which he is due to get in February. He has no plans to travel beforehand so should have no problems.
My French nationality only cost me €55 with tax stamps and ID card is free.

:lol:I liked the throwaway line about him being 'the man credited with resurrecting the British sex arse industry', as if it's now a cornerstone of our economy.
You laugh now, but you wouildn't if you were in a desperate need for a sex arse!

That's different to the normal ID card? I have the new paper residence certificate from the Comune but nobody has ever mentioned a new biometric card.

I crossed back into France earlier on the Eurotunnel and the border guards had zero interest in residency. A passport and a negative covid test and I was waved on my way.

That's different to the normal ID card? I have the new paper residence certificate from the Comune but nobody has ever mentioned a new biometric card.

I crossed back into France earlier on the Eurotunnel and the border guards had zero interest in residency. A passport and a negative covid test and I was waved on my way.
Yes, it's different from any other residence certificate and it was only launched on Jan 1st. The WA Attestazione was only supposed to be a stop-gap document until this Europe-wide one was issued.

I know for sure that our province won't be ready to issue it yet - in our comune we're still being issued with the old-fashioned paper ID cards! You should have more luck in Milan, I would imagine. As you travel back and forwards fairly regularly (I think), my advice would be to get one as soon as you can.

As usual, people who fly will no doubt have more problems than independent travellers.

https://www.thelocal.it/20201222/brexit-brits-in-italy-to-get-biometric-residence-card

Just had to pay £30 import duties on some art that I ordered from Sweden. That Brexit bonus sure better come soon...

My son-in-law (who lives next door) has retained UK nationality and has a British passport, has his own business and lived here for over 13 years like us. He's the only one in our family who doesn't have French nationality. As he has lived here more than five years and has his own business, he needed nothing until Brexit but was able to apply in October for his Carte de Séjour , biometric with photo etc , cost nothing, which he is due to get in February. He has no plans to travel beforehand so should have no problems.
My French nationality only cost me €55 with tax stamps and ID card is free.
Everything official is expensive and laborious here, Paul. Whenever you need anything like that, there's always a fee and on top of that you have to go to the tobacconist to get various amounts of tax stamps, which are €16 each. The latest card is about €39 plus a tax stamp.

My friend applied for Italian citizenship 2 years ago and is still waiting for her application to be fully processed. She had to pass an advanced-level language assessment (she had to travel to a University and it took a whole day), and I hate to think what it's cost her money-wise!

Even getting a PAYG SIM card involves filling in a massive contract.

NowTV UK and Amazon Prime UK immediately stopped working outside of the UK on 1st January 2021.

Oh I'm sure the mobile operators won't follow suit asap with roaming charges coming back in :lol:

So much winning!

Everything official is expensive and laborious here, Paul. Whenever you need anything like that, there's always a fee and on top of that you have to go to the tobacconist to get various amounts of tax stamps, which are €16 each. The latest card is about €39 plus a tax stamp.

My friend applied for Italian citizenship 2 years ago and is still waiting for her application to be fully processed. She had to pass an advanced-level language assessment (she had to travel to a University and it took a whole day), and I hate to think what it's cost her money-wise!

Even getting a PAYG SIM card involves filling in a massive contract.

Sounds a bit more difficult and expensive in Italy.
My citizenship application here took about 17 months but that was some time ago so wasn't rushed, also needed advance language assessment at the préfecture but as is only half an hour away and am fluent was no problem.
I don't think my son-in-law would pass that assessment so he settled for the new Carte de Séjour which was quick and easy.

Sounds a bit more difficult and expensive in Italy.
My citizenship application here took about 17 months but that was some time ago so wasn't rushed, also needed advance language assessment at the préfecture but as is only half an hour away and am fluent was no problem.
I don't think my son-in-law would pass that assessment so he settled for the new Carte de Séjour which was quick and easy.
We'll never be more than "get by" in Italian, so we'll have to stick with permanent residency like your son-in-law!

The hidden victims of Brexit.

DT9VaKv.jpg
Bummer ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Real or not, it's hilarious :D

I already have had issues with 4 orders stuck at UK border control for checks. They literally told me they are there but we have no eta of when you will get your item as we don't know how long it will take for checks. Its already been there for 4 days.