Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not convinced she ever was found out. Higher percentage of Scots voted Tory than the rest of the UK in the EU elections this year. I'm relieved she's gone.
:( yeah but.....shite.

I'm moving to Sweden. Nothing like this would happen in Sweden and I bet you can still IKEA cookies there.

My constituency is ripe for the picking for the SNP. Labour won it in 2017 with a swing of 9% but a majority of us 300. It'll lose that one for sure. Incredible since it was a Labour stronghold for many years (crooked as feck Labour councils over the years as well though which also came to bite them in the ass).

Labour got their stance completely wrong in Scotland and still do. They basically act like they don't care about the country. At least the Scottish Tories made an effort to separate themselves from the Westminster Tories.

We're a sensitive bunch up here, we like to feel like we're special.

A major problem up here in general. Labour were so dominant in certain parts of the country that if you wanted to go into a local council in any urban area it was best just to jump on the Labour bandwagon even if you weren't all that arsed about the party's general views. As a result you ended up with a lot of politicians who had dodgy views on certain social issues and who were a lot more regressive than some of their UK counterparts at times. Especially when the whole sectarian divide comes into play as well.

That should be for capitalist forces to decide, not a protectionist racket.

If chlorinated chicken were more expensive and tasted worse it wouldn't sell. If Argentinian beef were twice the cost (no tariffs) but much better quality consumers would decide whether it was worth the extra cost.
Capitalist forces came up with chlorinated chicken, not I'm not sure they should be relied on to protect the public interest to be fair.

I'm not convinced she ever was found out. Higher percentage of Scots voted Tory than the rest of the UK in the EU elections this year. I'm relieved she's gone.

Think it was a bit of both with her. She never quite came in for the criticism she deserved at times - but recently the wheels had quite clearly come off and she'd gone from a prospective future PM to a fairly isolated regional leader who'd simultaneously been humiliated by the fact that the new PM was literally the one person she wouldn't throw her weight behind for leader.

It's really interesting to see some of the misconceptions surrounding her at UK-level though. A lot of the discussion over her acted as if she was this statesperson-in-waiting who'd been undone at the wrong time, but the reality was she was never anything more than a vocal opposition campaigner, an effective means to boost the Tory vote in Scotland but someone who was fundamentally never going to be anywhere near power.

A major problem up here in general. Labour were so dominant in certain parts of the country that if you wanted to go into a local council in any urban area it was best just to jump on the Labour bandwagon even if you weren't all that arsed about the party's general views. As a result you ended up with a lot of politicians who had dodgy views on certain social issues and who were a lot more regressive than some of their UK counterparts at times. Especially when the whole sectarian divide comes into play as well.
I called the police on a fight breaking out at a party in a primary school, at 2am. The council had booked the space out. The fecking council.

Got told to feck off by some guy there and that I had no authority. So I rolled the dice and called one of the four members of my family that are all in the police force. Funny as feck watching that shitshow unfold.

Capitalist forces came up with chlorinated chicken, not I'm not sure they should be relied on to protect the public interest to be fair.

The public can decide for themselves provided the product isn't dangerous (which it isn't).

The public can decide for themselves provided the product isn't dangerous (which it isn't).

You're presuming they won't be fed with misinformation from companies who don't care about their wellbeing and want to make money.

That should be for capitalist forces to decide, not a protectionist racket.

If chlorinated chicken were more expensive and tasted worse it wouldn't sell. If Argentinian beef were twice the cost (no tariffs) but much better quality consumers would decide whether it was worth the extra cost.

Dont they suffer like 10% more food poisoning cases than the UK, and thats just the ones reported as some dont have health care of course and just try and get through it the best they can. What extra strain will that put on the NHS

Chlorinated chicken is also more to do with the way the food is produced leading to poor animal treatment standards that in no way line up with current EU standards. This isnt about capital forces, its about health, hygiene and animal treatment forces.

Also, we have so many people struggling to live day to day, if you see our market become saturated with cheaper chicken from the US, what do you think people will buy? Thus pricing UK food, even if better, out of the market unless they lower their production standards to churn more meat out at matching lower prices or go bump.

Protectionist racket indeed, heaven forbid we try and have decent food standards

The product isn't exactly nutritious though is it?

And don't play the "the public can decide" card like you give a shit about the public. Unless you make absolutely no profit on your services whatsoever you don't have the public's interests at heart. That's why rules are made for businesses.

DM comment section going apeshit.

EEL2BzSWwAAso_m.jpg

:lol: I do genuinely believe half the comments are wind ups, like when they post an article about Meghan or Kate. They can do the exact same thing but comments are wildly different. My favourite one was yesterday when there was a poor picture of Meghan's card she wrote in and someone claimed she is faking writing neat with tons of upvotes :lol:

Anyway, back to Brexit and DM, it's so easy to be a DM columnist. Just say 'remoaners' in the headline and you have a million hits in 2 minutes

Think it was a bit of both with her. She never quite came in for the criticism she deserved at times - but recently the wheels had quite clearly come off and she'd gone from a prospective future PM to a fairly isolated regional leader who'd simultaneously been humiliated by the fact that the new PM was literally the one person she wouldn't throw her weight behind for leader.

It's really interesting to see some of the misconceptions surrounding her at UK-level though. A lot of the discussion over her acted as if she was this statesperson-in-waiting who'd been undone at the wrong time, but the reality was she was never anything more than a vocal opposition campaigner, an effective means to boost the Tory vote in Scotland but someone who was fundamentally never going to be anywhere near power.
I still think she's a loss, even with the obvious problem of her under Boris. It's not like you can have a Scottish Tory leader who agrees with English nationalism, as someone eluded to a few posts back, so I think the friendly gay woman who sits on cows was absolutely as good as it gets.

We import some goods but do not export.

There are several points that concern me in your earlier post but aren't you concerned that if you give tariff free access to the UK you will lose control and never be able to negotiate any trade deals and be at the mercy of any country that wants to dump inferior or dangerous goods in the UK and although the manufacturing/production industry is not what it used to be, it is still worth 350bn a year which will be even more endangered in addition to the effects of Brexit?

Only if there was expansive mandatory labelling. Otherwise there’d be no way to know if the takeaway or sandwich you just bought had it in.

You say that but loads of people struggling for cash will opt for the cheaper meat, whatever. Or they're cheap and happy to make do, like my mum buying morrisons battery acid own brand from concentrate orange juice, when tropicana tastes way better but is double the price.

I get the basic principle your going for, I'm very much on the opposite end where i desire government regulation but i get your argument. Its an honest point that i dont think many would vote for, which is why it probably hasn't been made that often. Free market capatalism just isn't a popular ideology at the moment

The thing about free market capitalism in the context of food production is that it’s caused a race to the bottom. Animals raised in horrendous conditions and biodiversity wiped out all around the world in an effort to produce the cheapest possible product.

If you care about that at all then the whole “let the public decide” argument makes no sense at all. Chlorinated chicken has become symbolic of all the shitty behaviour you endorse in a completely unregulated market. The issue isn’t just about how much chlorine you can safely consume, obviously.

Last edited:
It's pretty funny.

An entire bullet point is just 'Treasury reckons financial services could be affected'.

Bit of a nothing burger, what would be expected. Curious to know what point 15 was!!

Probably the possible crisis in adult social care looks the most ominous, could blow up over the winter.

I like the cute way they've redacted an entire point, to make it look like a serious document that tells us anything about their planning.

........that’s it?
Yes. We can either believe this is how seriously they take no deal. Which would be terrifying. Or we can believe they're taking the piss and a few pages they haven't scanned straight weren't ever meant to tell anyone anything, least of all the government.