Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
So May requests an extension before a law is finalized forcing her to act for an extension parliament agrees with. And she asks for an extension date the EU have already rejected, knowing they’ll say no and offer a longer one. Just so she can look like she’s being forced into it, and look better to the eurosceptics.

We’re way past the point of pretense that May gives a damn about the country. Party first for her as always.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I've run into two kinds of leave voters:
Some actual free market capitalist (rich) ones, who think they can make money on leaving. They reacted to the fall of the pound by saying how much more their shares were worth, and they react to the potential collapse of normal cross-border manufacturing business by saying that, "in the long run" we'll end up with whatever industry our (reduced) wage rates can sustain. The optimists amongst them think of us as a potential offshore tax haven to mainland Europe, the more conservative elements have most of their money safely secured abroad and view their UK portfolios as a "bit of a flutter" on the EU collapsing under the weight of its own structural problems. I do understand these voters, just as I understand all the others motivated by self-interest.

The others seem to have a vaguer hope that wraps up all forms of immigration and border control (EU and non-EU) which they generally describe not in terms of race, but as being about things like cultural differences, language, policing, housing and even traffic issues - summarised as, "everything's changed". Free movement is seen as a negative, even when it means recruiting in shortage areas - like carehomes, hospitality, health. Everything from zero hour contracts to queues for hip operations gets blamed on "too many people". Ultimately they tell me that we can carve out our own future and that it's worth financial sacrifice to "get our country back" and "take control" - they care about sovereignty as if it's something that exists beyond economics, legal rights and indeed beyond parliament.

To me this is, of course, baffling. I benefited from, and want others to have, the opportunity of free movement. I'm from the generation that saw manufacturing move "from just in case, to just in time," and assumed minimal border controls and tariffs as an element of that, contributing both to economic growth and supply stability.

The desire to jump off the cliff and hope for a soft landing bewilders me, but I find it more disturbing that there are many who seem willing to jump off the cliff and don't care whether there's a soft landing or not. That's sad, because it does indicate how neglected and disenfranchised many people felt - but I don't think the reasons have much to do with the EU. The Brexit sales pitch worked because it was vague and optimistic, and struck an emotional chord. The remain campaign was mostly negative and dismissive about the worries and the emotions being expressed.

I honestly don't know how many Brexit voters would change their votes now faced with another referendum - certainly not as many as I'd like. The self-interested ones interests have only become stronger, they've been preparing for no-deal for a couple of years. Many of the others are feeling even more neglected and disenfranchised, except that they now more clearly see "all politicians" as an enemy as well. There's certainly a kind of battle weariness all round, but who'd stay at home and who'd come out and vote, I can't even guess. Given I went on the last People's Vote march, I can hope, but with a similar campaign to the last one, I'm not optimistic.

mancan92

It’s not British people, it’s white people on the whole. It’s something seen mostly in businessplaces, restaurants etc., not really in other places, or an average person on the street. White people are usually giving extra care and politeness, because there’s the assumption that they’re rich and will spend more money.
Where do you think that came from? The British empire

Smores

Would be good if remainers get out and vote so we don't send a bunch of UKIP MEPs.

You can guarantee that won't happen and we'll see them declare it as the will of the people to leave

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Would be good if remainers get out and vote so we don't send a bunch of UKIP MEPs.

You can guarantee that won't happen and we'll see them declare it as the will of the people to leave
Yes. It will be treated as a de facto referendum probably.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
And so begins the Brexit Party - in European elections.

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Leave voters in saying it wasn't immigtation shocker. Never seen that before
In a recent study conducted by certain caf members to find the most popular Premier League team. Over 80% of those surveyed included Manchester United as their first or second choice.
However, through a combination of contortionism, manipulation and denial the most popular Premier League team is:

Accrington Stanley.

Cloud7

Where do you think that came from? The British empire
Well yeah, but I’m just saying, it extends just as much to Americans, other European tourists, etc. And that’s done purely for material benefit, not because they actually think these people are better.

That’s the point I was making, no one really holds the Commonwealth or England in any great deal of reverence, nor do they feel any affinity for the crown as a result of this.

EwanI Ted

As ever it's the EU that have to act the grown ups in the room. It's a perfect solution all round so you know May will reject it
When you look at how the EU has approached these negotiations, then look at how we've appproached them, it makes a mockery of the idea we'd be able to negotiate international trade deals that are better than those the EU have.

Drifter

American
I expect some serious walking to go on from Farage and friends, if the flextension offer is accepted.

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
feck this guy. I can’t put into words how much I hate this man. Sociopath completely detached from reality.
He's such a moron that he's just destroyed half the Leavers reasons for leaving. Surely he said that the EU forced the UK to do everything. Brexiters never ever think things through and always lie.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Oh Christ, Fester McVey's back...

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
feck this guy. I can’t put into words how much I hate this man. Sociopath completely detached from reality.
Pretty much sums up my view as well. He has totally lost contact with anything outside his little gang of ERG let alone parliament and the country as a whole.
I truly hope that him and his little mates are regretting trashing the WA thus forcing an extension of A50. What goes around comes around to bite you in your backside.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Pretty much sums up my view as well. He has totally lost contact with anything outside his little gang of ERG let alone parliament and the country as a whole.
I truly hope that him and his little mates are regretting trashing the WA thus forcing an extension of A50. What goes around comes around to bite you in your backside.
Whatever happens, none of it will affect him personally. He's massively wealthy, both with and without his wife's fortune.

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
In some films you have two people with opposing philosophies work together for a mutually beneficial goal. Verhofstadt, Macron and Reese Mogg et al are all working together to make sure Britain leaves ASAP.

One side wants the old empire back and the other wants the United States of Europe.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Jacob Rees Mogg basically confirmed my concerns regarding giving the UK a long extension.

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
Jacob Rees Mogg basically confirmed my concerns regarding giving the UK a long extension.
People need to get out and vote in the European elections if they go ahead. Make sure Farage doesn't get in again. 6 million signed a petition hopefully 6 million will also vote.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Just looking at his constituency and it appears the Tories win it by 25 points every time which is depressing.

In addition to that they appear to have voted remain by around 15 points so he’s very much representing his own interests over his constituency.

devilish

People need to get out and vote in the European elections if they go ahead. Make sure Farage doesn't get in again. 6 million signed a petition hopefully 6 million will also vote.
That should be a UK concern not ours. The UK activated article 50. Its time its shown the door else they will wreck the place before leaving it

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
That should be a UK concern not ours. The UK actived article 50. Its time its shown the door else they will wreck the place before leaving it
Are you Guy Verhofstadt? Not everyone in the UK wants to destroy the EU, not to mention there are already governments in the EU who seek to undermine it from within.

Skills

Snitch
Just looking at his constituency and it appears the Tories win it by 25 points every time which is depressing.

In addition to that they appear to have voted remain by around 15 points so he’s very much representing his own interests over his constituency.
:lol:

Is there anything that represents the Tory party more. At least other politicians pretend to give a shit about their constituents

devilish

Are you Guy Verhofstadt? Not everyone in the UK wants to destroy the EU, not to mention there are already governments in the EU who seek to undermine it from within.
A big chunk do though. Its been the UK's policy for decades. They even joke about it.

As said, if the UK wants a transition deal then it must agree ratify the WA. Else the UK should consider joining the EEA etc. Whatever happens it must leave the EU and lose its veto. Brexit should mean Brexit

Last edited:

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
A big chunk do though. Its been the UK's policy for decades. They even joke about it.

As said, if the UK wants a transition deal then it must agree with the WA. Else the UK should consider joining the EEA etc. Whatever happens it must leave the EU and lose its veto. Brexit should mean Brexit.
Many people do in the south of Europe. I don't know if you're Italian but they have elected an anti-EU government, same with Hungary. Should Brexit it mean Brexit, what does Brexit mean? If the people decide a 2nd time that they want to leave OK, but the result of the first was not conclusive nor was it legitimate imo.

devilish

Many people do in the south of Europe. I don't know if you're Italian but they have elected an anti-EU government, same with Hungary. Should Brexit it mean Brexit, what does Brexit mean? If the people decide a 2nd time that they want to leave OK, but the result of the first was not conclusive nor was it legitimate imo.
None of them had activated article 50 though. The red lines were set. If the UK wants a longer extension then it must ratify the WA or provide a clear guidance of were all of this is heading (ex a second referendum). If the EU disregard its own red lines then that means that EU's word is worth nothing and we're inviting Eurosceptics to take us to the cleaners.

GloryHunter07

He basically summarised the UK's EU policy in the past 2 decades or so. 14th April should be the deadline. If the UK wants more time then it should ratify the WA.
Thats not how it works though, as im sure you know. We elect MEPs from all sorts of parties, they dont vote as one British Bloc.

The only risk to the EU is an ERG Candidate becoming PM, but i cant see that happening.

devilish

Thats not how it works though, as im sure you know. We elect MEPs from all sorts of parties, they dont vote as one British Bloc.

The only risk to the EU is an ERG Candidate becoming PM, but i cant see that happening.
The UK has always been hostile to most EU plans especially concerning integration, budgets and military. That happened at a time when the UK still felt part of the EU. Things will get worse now that the UK is leaving.

GloryHunter07

The UK has always been hostile to most EU plans especially concerning integration, budgets and military. That happened at a time when the UK still felt part of the EU. Things will get worse now that the UK is leaving.
Not necesarily.. ;)