Argentina players singing racist chant targeting French players after Copa America final

it was mentioned here today and I posted it because I thought It's pretty much the same thing. it somehow evaded me when it first came up so I'm surprised to hear so many of you saw it already.
I didn't, I just saw it mentioned in this thread as well.

I guess the conclusion is that this sort of sentiment is rife on the internet. But we knew that already. Sad stuff.

it was mentioned here today and I posted it because I thought It's pretty much the same thing. it somehow evaded me when it first came up so I'm suprirised to hear so many of you saw it already.
I see you are not familiar with X (Twitter) then? The platform is full of losers posting such BS.

Whatever happened to the Black community in Argentina?

So Haaland is English because he was born in England to Norwegian parents? They are French, but they are also Africans. You think they are ashamed or something?

If he'd spent more than 3 years of his life here, grew up here, had personal and cultural ties here, felt English, wanted to play for the English NY and had a British passport, then....yes?

None of those things are true though, nor do they match with, for instance, Mbappe's situation.

These absolute feckers, they are very literally a colonial project and their heritage almost inevitably some mixture of Italian, Spanish, German and British, having almost completely wiped out the indigenous population. :lol:

Well looks like Argentina is in a dark place right now. Bad economy and trash currency and people voting an absolute clown into office. etc.
So sadly no surprise that they have a racism issue as well.

Bit random to criticize the French after winning Copa America.

Btw, was mac allister also singing this or not? His ancestory isnt argentinian.
Every single one of them have ancestors from all over the place.

There's probably about 7 people in the world without a somewhat mixed background if you go back.

These absolute feckers, they are very literally a colonial project and their heritage almost inevitably some mixture of Italian, Spanish, German and British, having almost completely wiped out the indigenous population. :lol:
I have no words for her reply. You put it nicely. Calling others colonisers while being a pre-dominantly white country in South America...

If he'd spent more than 3 years of his life here, grew up here, had personal and cultural ties here, felt English, wanted to play for the English NY and had a British passport, then....yes?

None of those things are true though, nor do they match with, for instance, Mbappe's situation.
That's what I'm saying.

The impression I got was that the poster implied the players aren't Africans, but French only. That's why I made the Haaland example, that even if he grew up in England, it wouldn't mean he isn't Norwegian. The same applies to the French players.

It's genuinely amazing, even if we ignore the racist undertone, these people can't even accept their own identity. They seemingly don't see that they are both the product of spanish colonialism and also the product of immigration. They are both of the things that they try to either mock or denigrate.

It's really not that hard to identify that your country has a problem with racism and distance yourself from those opinions, unless of course you share them and want to mask it in thinly veiled whataboutism and 'cultural differences' claims.

It's genuinely amazing, even if we ignore the racist undertone, these people can't even accept their own identity. They seemingly don't see that they are both the product of spanish colonialism and also the product of immigration. They are both of the things that they try to either mock or denigrate.

I think this is what clearly shows the real intention of their chant, it's clearlynot about immigration strengthening a national team, no matter what some idiots want to claim.

Please tell me Garnacho and Lisandro Martinez were not involved.
Nothing thus far "implicating" them (actual evidence) other than the fact that they were on the bus. In fact, Licha can be seen in the background of Enzo's video on a call or doing something on his phone and not signing as far as I'm aware anyway.

That's what I'm saying.

The impression I got was that the poster implied the players aren't Africans, but French only. That's why I made the Haaland example, that even if he grew up in England, it wouldn't mean he isn't Norwegian. The same applies to the French players.
Mate, I answered you!

That's what I'm saying.

How is that what you're saying?

-Haalands situation is not the same as any of these French players.
-Almost nobody is saying at least some of these players don't have some links to their heritage. This is often weaponised by racists to imply that they are not really French.
-As I said, Grieszmann seems to somehow escape, despite the fact he is German and Portuguese. Wonder what the difference between him and Kante is?

Many folks from Africa seem to see no problem in saying the same sort of tripe as Argentinians e.g. "Africans won the World Cup in 2018" because Africans see it as a source of racial pride. As a continent, Africa don't have a lot of global successes to celebrate hence they will celebrate Afro-French players' success because to them, "If African countries weren't poor and exploited we could achieve the same". However South Africans like Trevor Noah lack the empathy to get that Afro-French players don't want to be told that they're less French than a white fellow citizen due to their skin color or ethnicity when they were born in the same cities, attended the same schools, and pay more tax than most to France. Nobody can control where they are born. Also, nobody ever had an issue with Zidane or Benzema being Algerian, or Platini being Italian so it's racism because they're targeting Afro-French only.

Just because Trevor Noah or some crass African politician said the same as Argentinians doesn't mean it justifies their point. Europe doesn't claim the sporting successes of USA just because their sportspeople are of European descent; Germans don't see Trump as if he's one of them nor do the Irish claim Biden. It wouldn't surprise me if the education system in African countries and Argentina is rife with casual racism due to how homogenous they are, breeding a lack of empathy toward other races and nationalities.
Erm....yes they do and did, buddy. The racism against people of North African descent in France is horrendous.

Yeah but that's white people so it's OK.

That's what I'm saying.

As someone that is directly concerned by it. I'm french and that's it, now if you want to talk about my personal culture then it's mixed because I'm mixed but also because my cultural influences are mixed, I'm not african and I'm not european. In fact I will tell you something africans don't actually consider me african, when you are in Africa you are labelled as the European or the french, when you are in Europe you have to answer "where are you actually from?".

So on that topic I have zero patience. Because everyone tries to impose on us, what we are while also telling us what we are not. So to others what we are is our nationality(s), the rest is none of your business, you have zero say in it.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Mac allister, Messi, Emi Martinez it’s confirmed they were not on the bus.

MacAllister was not on the bus, according to some news reports that I've seen.

'My song about your footballers not being European enough is perfectly fine, I will not be lectured on racism by colonisers' - Very serious people.

Bringing in the history of the Viceroyalty to justify the whole country being racist seems a bit of a stretch. Enzo doesn't seem like the smartest guy in the class, but the song obviously makes fun of the state of European football.
I think the loudest one this Euro was a Romanian account making fun of the Netherlands and their blacks.
In Spain they joked that we had more French people than France.
People who think that European football is distorted, regardless of where the players were born or raised. Are they all racists? Does it make a difference if they are all lumped together?
The song talks about blacks because it is precisely a criticism of the number of Africans. Would there be a song if there were 8 "Hernández" in the team? Maybe not, but in any case the reaction would not be the same.
Yes, absolutely. How is that even a question? What else do you think it is when somebody claims that somebody isn't of some nationality because of their skin colour or their (grand-)parent's origin?
Are we done pretending now that the song about the "tr*nnyf*cking Angolans" who are only French on paper is some sort of deeply thought-out statement on society, international football developments and colonial history?

So Haaland is English because he was born in England to Norwegian parents? They are French, but they are also Africans. You think they are ashamed or something?

Haaland is one of many people who are born in a country their parent was temporarily working in. Not at all comparable to people who are born and raised in a country for their entire lives.

There is also another important difference which is that Norway and England are countries and Africa is a continent.

Let's be serious here. The song is about black players. You think they're making an internal distinction for Marcus Thuram because he is the son of Lilian, who was born in the West Indies?

Last edited:
Nobody knows apart from the people on the bus.

When the racist song starts, you can only really see Enzo and 1 other player. You can hear a load are singing it though.

Nothing thus far "implicating" them (actual evidence) other than the fact that they were on the bus. In fact, Licha can be seen in the background of Enzo's video on a call or doing something on his phone and not signing as far as I'm aware anyway.
Cheers. Considering how costly these incidents can be, I am surprised clubs don't have classes for footballers on how not to be an idiot. I am talking purely from a protecting your investment POV.

Mate, I answered you!
I know, I was just explaining to the poster why I said what I said. Apologies for reacting that way!

As someone that is directly concerned by it. I'm french and that's it, now if you want to talk about my personal culture then it's mixed because I'm mixed but also because my cultural influences are mixed, I'm not african and I'm not european. In fact I will tell you something africans don't actually consider me african, when you are in Africa you are labelled as the European or the french, when you are in Europe you have to answer "where are you actually from?".

So on that topic I have zero patience. Because everyone tries to impose on us, what we are while also telling us what we are not. So to others what we are is our nationality(s), the rest is none of your business, you have zero say in it.
Sorry you feel that way. It's the first time I've heard of that. My dad is Italian and my mom is Portuguese. I grew up in Spain and then England so I have some experience with that as well even if it is just within Europe, although it may not be comparable. I wouldn't have any problems with anyone calling me either of my nationalities, because I feel a bit of everything if you know what I mean. I've lived in all of these countries and feel culturally attached to all, but it may be different for those who have only lived in the country they're born in. Sorry if I offended you in any way, that was not my intention.

Whatever happened to the Black community in Argentina?

Wiped out, mainly during the war of the triple alliance. First Argentinian president had African heritage. The community is there today but mainly hidden.

Bringing in the history of the Viceroyalty to justify the whole country being racist seems a bit of a stretch. Enzo doesn't seem like the smartest guy in the class, but the song obviously makes fun of the state of European football.
I think the loudest one this Euro was a Romanian account making fun of the Netherlands and their blacks.
In Spain they joked that we had more French people than France.
People who think that European football is distorted, regardless of where the players were born or raised. Are they all racists? Does it make a difference if they are all lumped together?
The song talks about blacks because it is precisely a criticism of the number of Africans. Would there be a song if there were 8 "Hernández" in the team? Maybe not, but in any case the reaction would not be the same.

I hate to tell you but this post is at least ignorant.

And what does European football being distorted even mean?

Ah, hyper nationalist morons are the same everyone. Reminds me so much of the rhetoric we see here in India every time anything India related is criticised by anyone abroad.

I understand that the general global media outlook is dominated by the west with its sins brushed under the carpet and those of others amplified.

However, wrong is wrong. And instead of blowing the nationalistic trumpet to win local applause, the Argentinian leadership should be using it as an opportunity to help strengthen their societal values and teach the younger generation better and more humane lessons. Doesn’t suit politicians though - it’s easy to go with us / them angle as the simpletons will buy it.

Sorry you feel that way. It's the first time I've heard of that. My dad is Italian and my mom is Portuguese. I grew up in Spain and then England so I have some experience with that as well even if it is just within Europe, although it may not be comparable. I wouldn't have any problems with anyone calling me either of my nationalities, because I feel a bit of everything if you know what I mean. I've lived in all of these countries and feel culturally attached to all, but it may be different for those who have only lived in the country they're born in. Sorry if I offended you in any way, that was not my intention.

It's not about being offended, it's just that it's a very simple situation that people try complicate in very negative ways, even when they don't realize it. People that come from different cultural backgrounds will have different upbringings, you are not the same than an other child from italian and portuguese parents, in some cases there may be a strong cultural influence from your family and in other cases there may be next to no influence and you are almost exclusively a cultural product of the places you grew up in.

And that's the point that I try to make when this topic comes up, you are the only one that knows what you are and how you feel about your identity. It's totally asinine for people that do not know you and didn't ask you to decide for you your culture and identity especially when it doesn't actually means that you are accepted by the group you have been assigned to.

Cheers. Considering how costly these incidents can be, I am surprised clubs don't have classes for footballers on how not to be an idiot. I am talking purely from a protecting your investment POV.
Of course clubs of a certain level have "how to behave in media/public" classes. And you can clearly see that at least someone on the bus listened to them and was aware how vile this song is, which is why they cut off the livestream during the majority of the song. They only got caught because they restarted the stream too early and enough of the song was on tape to identify what they were singing.

Last edited:
A right wing populist in government making irresponsible comments to curry favour with the worst instincts of the electorate rather than show balanced and mature leadership - whatever next?!