Argentina players singing racist chant targeting French players after Copa America final

Not sure why Messi is discussed, if he wasn't in the bus then there is nothing he can or should do. He isn't baby sitting them, they all are adults and should be responsible for their actions.

So he's to blame too?
Yes. If you say nothing, you are not helping at all. He didn't speak up on that player getting racially abused for getting his ankles in the semis and he seems to be quiet again here

As a leader you should speak up, or it looks like you are dodging or complicit. Don't think anybody can say he hasn't heard it before from his teammates. I still hope he says something, but it is already late.

There is a problem with this Argentina team.

Yes. If you say nothing, you are not helping at all. He didn't speak up on that player getting racially abused for getting his ankles in the semis and he seems to be quiet again here

As a leader you should speak up, or it looks like you are dodging or complicit. Don't think anybody can say he hasn't heard it before from his teammates. I still hope he says something, but it is already late.

There is a problem with this Argentina team.
There's a difference between not helping and being blamed for something you weren't involved in.

There's a difference between not helping and being blamed for something you weren't involved in.
I am not blaming him directly for the incident. Not sure where you are getting that from. But he is part of the problem here in getting to a solution and a corrective set of actions.

If you know someone is getting bullied and you are a manager, are you not supposed to stand up?

Personally, I blame all of the players on that bus since none of them lifted a finger to stop it and likely instead joined in. Not sure Fernandez was really any different from the others, he was just even dumber about it.

I am even feeling Messi deserves blame here. Why has it taken him this long to react. Of all the people that have some clout in this, it is him.
Unrealistic to expect any player to stop it, but you would hope some have enough brains not to join in

I am not blaming him directly for the incident. Not sure where you are getting that from. But he is part of the problem here in getting to a solution and a corrective set of actions.

If you know someone is getting bullied and you are a manager, are you not supposed to stand up?
From you saying he deserves a blame here.

As for the other part he should speak up but not speaking up doesnt make him complicit though.

These idiots could enjoy their memorable winning moments in many ways but choose to degrade, abuse and sung racist slur songs.

Should be banned for lengthy spells. Not only Enzo but whoever involved in those stupid act.

Unrealistic to expect any player to stop it, but you would hope some have enough brains not to join in
Then it will keep happening, so the blame shifts from the individual onto the team. You would think or hope there would be some leaders on that bus that would stop it.

Stupid from all involved but are we at the stage where we have to contact Getafe to take Garnacho and Lisandro on loan yet?

Ok, now I wrapped my head around this.

For the benefit of the large majority of obfuscated people reading between lines of an alien language:

1) Video starts with a song about the Argentinian NT. All naturally join in with gusto.

2) Someone in the background asks "what was the one about M'Bappé"? Stream turned off so Enzo clearly isn't as stupid as many here suggest.

3) Stream comes back on at the end But in the document ..Nationality: French

We can infer this bit was sung by "someone" joining in on the "song about M'Bappé"

Listen, spread the word;
They play in France, but they are all from Angola;
How nice it is! They are going to run;
They are trans-eaters, like fecking Mbappé;
Their mom is Nigerian;
Their dad, Cameroonian.

We can also infer Enzo knew the offensive bit was over but wasn't clever enough a censor to leave out the entire thing and avoid any blowback.

Title-stripping talk is a bit off if you ask me.

Yeah it's racist and homophobic, the players who sang it probably didn't think much of it (they're likely not racist towards their club team mates for example) but they need an education around how these issues they give little thought to, affects other people. It reminds me of that Griezmann incident some years back.

Even that 10 German Bombers chant the English fans did recently in Germany or the Falklands chants the Argies sing against the Brits - Not racist but not really relevant to today, and not needed in football. Those chants that United fans sang about Park and Lukaku (Even though they were sung in support of the players) were a bit racist as well.

So it's not just players but fans too, who say this stuff without much thought about the optics - But players should have a lot more responsibility being the bigger ambassadors of the sport, and this Argentinian team should be punished for it in some way (a fine/match-ban/re-education seems fair).

Also, that Comic Sans apology from Enzo, what the feck is that?!
I've not really got a problem with the German Bomber chant. And I am austrian and it basically it refers to Austria as well. It's just banter. Of course its glorifying warfare and relativising the deaths of the soldiers, which may be shitty if you lost someone close in the war. But you know, those people are now in retirement homes and won't registrate what some English footballfans sing.
The thing is, this is not an expression of a systemic devaluation of a group of people. Its a simple "you started a World War and a genocide and we rightfully beat the the shit out of you" which is kind of ridiculing the terror of a war, but also simply true.

Chelsea initiate investigation
The statement from Chelsea is rather weak.

Don't know what else they can say initially.

Chelsea Football Club finds all forms of discriminatory behaviour completely unacceptable. We are proud to be a diverse, inclusive club where people from all cultures, communities and identities feel welcome.

We acknowledge and appreciate our player’s public apology and will use this as an opportunity to educate.

The Club has instigated an internal disciplinary procedure.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/article/club-statement-july-17-2024

Not really that unrealistic, just shows that they're spineless.
Yep, in the end that is essentially it.
From you saying he deserves a blame here.

As for the other part he should speak up but not speaking up doesnt make him complicit though.
People who don't speak up and are leaders are complicit in my opinion. I like Messi, but his silence is generally deafening on racism issues.

I expect leaders to stand up..if he opened his mouth and blasted that as racism and to stop all of that, he would have more effect than anyone. So yes..he shares some blame here even if he was not on that bus.

You cannot tell me he is not aware of it behind the public eye.

The big problem is Enzo, who recorded a private moment. Even players from teams like Germany or France have sung or said things to entertain themselves about a rival. The song never makes a negative reference to their race; it refers to the fact that most players on the French national team are not of French origin, which has been discussed at some point. I understand it may sound offensive, but it's part of football folklore, at least in South America.
Imagine writing the bolded and thinking you have made a perfectly logical, rational point.

A few have mentioned that chelsea have several black French players etc...and obviously fofana has called it out. But seriously is there an insinuation that their 'white' teammates won't find this casual celebrated racism offensive too?

Someone can sing that song as a "joda", as they say in Argentina, and it doesn’t necessarily have to be something racist.

The big problem is Enzo, who recorded a private moment. Even players from teams like Germany or France have sung or said things to entertain themselves about a rival. The song never makes a negative reference to their race; it refers to the fact that most players on the French national team are not of French origin, which has been discussed at some point. I understand it may sound offensive, but it's part of football folklore, at least in South America.
How come Giroud and Griezmann are not in the song?

I guess its a part of a folklore just like Suarez saying negro to Evra.

Well Chelsea are the most racist club so.....

Jokes aside, Enzo is probably the biggest moron in football, this aside who recalls him finally scoring a goal and taking off his shirt and holding up his name to the fans?

Clearly stupid and egotistical, Chelsea squad harmony should be great in preseason :lol:

"We acknowledge and appreciate our player’s public apology and will use this as an opportunity to educate."

I hope a proper ban is coming for Enzo. Also, where is FA now?

“I stand against discrimination in all forms except when I’m hyped”

Just thankful that Messi wasn't involved and was not even on the bus. Probably just went home to his Miami home or to the hospital. Leo is innocent ❤️

In what way does the reaction of the French Chelsea players matter? I'm not sure I understood your post.

It matters to me as a Chelsea fan. If half the team hates the guy its going to be a problem for our season.

It won't change the fact that he was singing with all the rest of them but if he's genuinely sorry, it makes a difference to me.

Can anyone confirm if marcosdeto was seen in the video?

It’s super easy to simply say they are racists, just like that. Classic.
Don't know whether they are indeed racists.
Though, it's clear they are dumb (as all their ancestors have been immigrants as well) and uneducated (as neither Angola, Cameroon nor Nigeria were former French colonies). Isn't Mbappé's mom from Algeria anyway?

It's the same country which cried out loud for foul play 2014 because the German team performed a funny dance mocking the Argentinan team in victory parade in Germany.

@Gandalf Greyhame has broken it down for you well to understand but in case you're still not sure, here's some more.

Healthy banter?

In the fan clip circulating you see a reporter put a microphone in front of a group of Argentinian fans who then proceed to sing the song. The reporter clearly becomes quite uncomfortable with the chant.

Enzo Fernandez himself tried to stop the recording of the chant during his stream, clearly because he either a) knew it wasnt appropriate or b) someone told him to stop recording.

These things don't happen if the chant is innocent banter.

France poaches players and talents from Africa?

No, no they dont. Most of those players (if not all) grew up in France. Born in France, lived in France, learnt how to play football in France.

These players have exposure, have colleagues and friends who have roots in Africa and play for Franch/Netherlands/Germany etc. Can we not assume the best in them and think that all this is not coming from a bad place.

Don't worry, its coming from a bad place. That place is called Argentina, one of the most historically racist countries in the world. If it smells like a fart, if it tastes like a fart, its a fart.

And finally, perhaps most crucially, Enzo has already been unfollowed by a dozen Chelsea players, all of whom are the 'victims' of this chant.

And if you know anything about colonisation, racism, national identity you'd understand why those Chelsea players would take issue with one of their own team mates taking part in such a chant.

As i've said these players were all born, grew up in, learnt to play football, in France. To them France is their nationality, to them France is their country. Just because they happen to have descendants from outside of France doesnt make them any less French. And you can pretty much guarantee that at some point in many of their lives growing up, their Frenchness would have been questioned and it absolutely would have offended them. It falls along the lines of "Where are you from?" "No, where are you really from?"
Notice how Giroud (having Italian decent) or Greizmann (German decent) werent referenced in that song and that's because they're white. But I'm sure to Argentines they're "proper French" because god forbid Black people claim nationality from anywhere outside of Africa.....

So yeah, throw all that in and if you still come to the conclusion its not racist then well, that's evolution for you...

Pretty much. Funnily enough in the current team the two players that could be questioned and that France poached are Théo and Lucas Hernandez, while they are born in France they grew up in Spain, their parents are of spanish origin(still french) and both have been entirely developed through the spanish system. From a Football standpoint the only thing that link them to France is their place of birth. In the near future you could add Olise but he was poached from England.

“I stand against discrimination in all forms except when I’m hyped”
Let those among us who haven't engaged in light bigotry when celebrating cast the first stone