View full 2018-19 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was obvious what we were trying to do yesterday and I think this is also what mourinho meant when he alluded to tactical changes a while back, when he remarked that he didn't have all of his players back. So I guess this was at least intended to be the way forward.

To be frank, as much as i like the boy, Martial doesn't work in this kind of system. It's all about off the ball movement and positioning for the strikers, which Martial, sadly, still is pretty much devoid of. Those balls from midfield to the runners just require, um, yeah, runners on the receiving end. Yesterday Martial wouldn't have even got into the position to score Lukakus miss, as his positioning is linked to his poor movement.

I could see him work well in a 2 with Lukaku, but not in this kind of system. It's not a coincidence that he excelled in a more possession-based system (where I could see Lukaku struggle).
Literally the only time I've seen Martial play in a strike partnership under mourinho, it was an absolute success.

For what it's worth, I think Sanchez should be sold at the end of the season if he doesn't get more than 15 goals this season. His output doesn't justify his wages.

Also, can we stop this "either, or" argument. You don't have to pick a side to have an opinion.

It's not picking a side they're basically the two alternatives for one spot.

Best ratio and most goals scored in the squad since joining as well but top reds want to bin him at 22 for having a hard time under a manager who couldn't care less for him and stagnating along with 80% of the squad :rolleyes:

I'm glad that the board still believes in him at least,that's all that matters in the long run with the current managerial situation quickly becoming untenable

I fully agree. Mourinho's lack of faith in him is kinda shocking. Then again not really considering the players he's mistreated in thr past who went on to prove him wrong.

I fully agree. Mourinho's lack of faith in him is kinda shocking. Then again not really considering the players he's mistreated in thr past who went on to prove him wrong.

This is right. People were expecting the third season syndrome to happen & guess what - it is. Likewise; it shows why some fans are not using José words to decide the future of Martial.

This is right. People were expecting the third season syndrome to happen & guess what - it is. Likewise; it shows why some fans are not using José words to decide the future of Martial.

He needs to watch it because he's in danger of losing his top billing as a manager. If United sack him he'll be begging for big clubs to sign him.

For what it's worth, I think Sanchez should be sold at the end of the season if he doesn't get more than 15 goals this season. His output doesn't justify his wages.

Which club is going to take on his wage? Seems to be the biggest roadblock to us selling our players in general. Grossly overpaid players with consistent mediocre performances.

Which club is going to take on his wage? Seems to be the biggest roadblock to us selling our players in general. Grossly overpaid players with consistent mediocre performances.

I Said it when we signed him.
Rooney situation Mk 2. I Wish city had Signed him and we got Malcolm or someone with great potential and gave them the games. We weren’t going to win the league last year and we aren’t this year either. It was the perfect excuse to blood a few more younger players and get the general play improving as much as possible. These huge signings post Fergie have always flopped on us. Whoever is making these decisions needs to stop. It’s not working.

Martial is living the life of Riley at the minute isn't he. He plays poorly so often and yet the blame is rarely placed on him it seems.
I want him to do well, but how can I back him if he can't back himself? He's so lethargic in his play and he's not talented enough to make up for it.

Play him in the 352 with him close to the striker or him as the striker. Now when we played against Brighton many criticised him but when you analyse the game you will realise that almost all of our attacks came from the right side where Darmian and Mata were operating. Our midfield was not able or did not get the ball to our left where Shaw and Martial were operating. Martial plays poorly most of the time because Jose does not know how to get the best out of him. He is the only attacker at United who actually scares the opposing defence.

Unfortunately I’ve given up with Martial which is a shame because he looked a fantastic talent in 15/16. I just think 3 years stagnation is too harmful for his development and we will never see him kick on in red shirt again. He needs a move and we probably need him to move. Instead his on our bench or in the stands losing value and running down his contract. Just piss poor management. He actually looked promising at times last season then that Sanchez deal knocked him back completly. We should have let City have Sanchez and then gone for Mahrez.

Let’s not forget how awful Hazard looked under Jose that second year too. Remember Jose slaughtering him for not tracking back one game. Why would you want a player like Hazard tracking back so deep all the time. Look at Hazard now. Let forwards be forwards. Let them play with a sense of freedom instead of making them second guess their every move in the fear of making a mistake.

Last edited:
Play him in the 352 with him close to the striker or him as the striker. Now when we played against Brighton many criticised him but when you analyse the game you will realise that almost all of our attacks came from the right side where Darmian and Mata were operating. Our midfield was not able or did not get the ball to our left where Shaw and Martial were operating. Martial plays poorly most of the time because Jose does not know how to get the best out of him. He is the only attacker at United who actually scares the opposing defence.

Scholes remarked just that after the Brighton game

He believes the likes of Martial and Rom can win games but the MF don't consistently provide the forwards with anything substantial in terms of balls through the defense and to areas where the wide players can isolate FB's which is spot on and explains how and why just about all of them have become so ineffective despite all the talent they possess.

Everyone didn't all just turn to shite overnight

Last edited:
I don't know how some of the guys can be so staunchly against him. Pretty much all our attacking players seem to be stagnating or even regressing.

Scholes remarked just that after the Brighton game

He believes the likes of Martial and Rom can win games but the MF don't consistently provide the forwards with anything substantial in terms of balls through the defense and to areas where the wide players can isolate FB's which is spot on and explains how and why just about all of them have become so ineffective despite all the talent they possess.

Everyone didn't all just turn to shite overnight

Exactly

Club always needs a scapegoat. Jose has decided Martial is it. All our attackers were garbage against Brighton and have been for some time, let's drop Martial from the squad

We can take heart from the fact the club still have faith in him and overruled Jose's decision to get rid. We all know that if he had his way Martial wouldn't be here. He never keeps an unhappy player as stated on many occasions. I still believe he has a future here but we have to wait and see what happens with the manager.

Last edited:
Martial is living the life of Riley at the minute isn't he. He plays poorly so often and yet the blame is rarely placed on him it seems.
I want him to do well, but how can I back him if he can't back himself? He's so lethargic in his play and he's not talented enough to make up for it.
So often? He only played against Brighton, where bar 1-2 individuals, everyone was diabolical. What are you on about?

I guess he played poorly against Leicester and Spurs also, how did he not get the blame? A disgrace this Martial lad is.

I barely even noticed Martial against Spurs. Useless sod! This is how to do it isn't it?

I don't think they'll be a shortage of clubs willing to take Sanchez, he know's he'd have to take a pay cut. Wouldn't worry too much about it.

I don't think they'll be a shortage of clubs willing to take Sanchez, he know's he'd have to take a pay cut. Wouldn't worry too much about it.
Why would he transfer and take a 50% pay cut or more? We can't force him to go.

How many people do you know who would take a pay cut for the sake of it? He is almost 30, he won't give up on millions of pay that is guaranteed to him by a contract. Whether someone else would offer him the same money, is another thing, and I doubt that.

So often? He only played against Brighton, where bar 1-2 individuals, everyone was diabolical. What are you on about?

I guess he played poorly against Leicester and Spurs also, how did he not get the blame? A disgrace this Martial lad is.
Apologies I forgot he only has one club appearance to his name, I must've been thinking of somebody else.

Can you imagine if we had Sterling playing at LW trying to supply a target man like Lukaku. :lol:

The guy would not have half the season he has at city; being out so wide, playing more as a midfielder that supplies than a forward who taps in goals.
He would be running around like a clueless chicken on the Left wing & all the Jose fans would be crying about how his amazing/ clueless running & workrate is fundamental to our game plan.

Martial is a forward and continues not to be played at a forward. This does not mean he has to be a target man - but that does not mean he has to be as wide out as Shaw in his starting position - finding himself still far away from goal if he manages to beat the fullback who is marking him.

DTZfRXTXkAA66MJ.jpg

"Raheem Sterling's average position this season resembles a 2nd striker playing off Aguero & not a winger. Pep frees him of defensive responsibilities so he can drift infield+get into the box, hence the 18 goals this season."

How many people do you know who would take a pay cut for the sake of it? He is almost 30, he won't give up on millions of pay that is guaranteed to him by a contract. Whether someone else would offer him the same money, is another thing, and I doubt that.
If we told him we weren't renewing his contract and we'd pay him out on his current one if he left in the summer, you don't think he'd take it?

Who said he'd have to take a 50% or more pay cut? Someone's daft enough to pay him silly money otherwise we wouldn't be paying him silly money.
I wouldn't count on finding another club that's as dumb as ours.

If we told him we weren't renewing his contract and we'd pay him out on his current one if he left in the summer, you don't think he'd take it?
But why would we pay him out so he can leave? What are we gaining from that? We lose the money and the player.

I bet he would, why wouldn’t he? He gets all the money from us and still gets decent contract elsewhere.

You don’t make a lot of sense to be honest.

Sanchez just needs to change his position; he doesn't have the sudden acceleration to get past players & considering we usually play mata as an inside AM on the otherside - he might have to be keeping a level of width as much as Martial does in his starting position.

Arguably Martial, Sanchez should compete for LS role & Lukaku, Rashford for the RS role. We dont need a RW if we dont have one & we dont need a LW if they simply do not perform.

Also, can we stop this "either, or" argument. You don't have to pick a side to have an opinion.

When his output is not justifying his wages I doubt you'll find any clubs willing to pay him what he's getting paid. He's probably going to stay for 4 years unless his wage is subsidized heavily to whatever club wants him. Martial on the other hand I'd imagine would have many clubs interested.

But why would we pay him out so he can leave? What are we gaining from that? We lose the money and the player.

I bet he would, why wouldn’t he? He gets all the money from us and still gets decent contract elsewhere.

You don’t make a lot of sense to be honest.
If he's still not making the impact we thought he would come the end of the season, there is absolutely no reason why he should still be at the club next season with the wages he's currently on. For me, higher salary means higher scrutiny, you have to show people why you're worth those wages and Sanchez isn't doing that.

You can only imagine what the rest of the squad think if this is the situation in the coming months. Manager's favourite, on daft salary, doesn't produce anywhere near the goals or assists some of the 'lower earners' in the squad do. For me, if that's the situation, he has to go. We take the financial hit, get a transfer fee for him that will allow us to buy him out of his contract so we don't have to take a double hit.

Then we bring someone else in who's better value for money.

When his output is not justifying his wages I doubt you'll find any clubs willing to pay him what he's getting paid. He's probably going to stay for 4 years unless his wage is subsidized heavily to whatever club wants him. Martial on the other hand I'd imagine would have many clubs interested.
We won't have to. United aren't a selling club. We don't sell players for a profit, we just rid of players we don't need anymore. We'd do what we did with Rooney, get a transfer fee that allows us to buy his contract out without us having to dip into the transfer budget to pay him.

We won't have to. United aren't a selling club. We don't sell players for a profit, we just rid of players we don't need anymore. We'd do what we did with Rooney, get a transfer fee that allows us to buy his contract out without us having to dip into the transfer budget to pay him.

Yeah I guess that's true, although with the amount of time and money on his deal I doubt that can be done here. If you want to get rid of Alexis it would cost money, although you can obviously afford it.

Can you imagine if we had Sterling playing at LW trying to supply a target man like Lukaku. :lol:

The guy would not have half the season he has at city; being out so wide, playing more as a midfielder that supplies than a forward who taps in goals.
He would be running around like a clueless chicken on the Left wing & all the Jose fans would be crying about how his amazing/ clueless running & workrate is fundamental to our game plan.

Martial is a forward and continues not to be played at a forward. This does not mean he has to be a target man - but that does not mean he has to be as wide out as Shaw in his starting position - finding himself still far away from goal if he manages to beat the fullback who is marking him.

DTZfRXTXkAA66MJ.jpg

"Raheem Sterling's average position this season resembles a 2nd striker playing off Aguero & not a winger. Pep frees him of defensive responsibilities so he can drift infield+get into the box, hence the 18 goals this season."

Or he'd just be played like Lingard considering they're very similar players. I know that erodes your agenda on the topic but it's more likely than him being played like Martial

We can take heart from the fact the club still have faith in him and overruled Jose's decision to get rid. We all know that if he had his way Martial wouldn't be here. He never keeps an unhappy player as stated on many occasions. I still believe he has a future here but we have to wait and see what happens with the manager.

Do we actually know this? Any actual quotes or sources?

I don't believe for a second he tried to get rid of Martial.

Status
Not open for further replies.