View full 2018-19 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes because his performance on the left wing is the same chance as being made to play as a striking partner next to Lukaku.

Nope forget it - give it to Lingard instead. Jesus.

Forget martial - why wasn't Rashford played upfront next to Lukaku instead of Lingard?

Do we ever play in striking partnerships? If not then why the hell do we continue to not use actual strikers in striking partnerships.

Absolutely diabolical management of a decent player - not overtly damn world class but has the ability to get 13 goals a season at the very least if he was played in a position that allows him to do so.

It really is not so complicated.

We go the whole preseason playing 352, revert back to 433 get demolished & then turn back to 352 playing one striker and an extra midfielder in defence.

I'd say give us the day as winners in supporting martial - you don't have much of a chance today.

perhaps if he had tried a bit last week he would have got the nod. lingard didn't start last week either but at least came on and tried and put some effort in, and was rewarded with a starting spot last night. and he was one of our better performers. Rashford has been poor for some time too, so I don't really see why either Martial or Rashford particularly deserves a starting spot, definitely not over Lingard.

Jose has questions to answer too with a formation and starting 11 that changes every week, but the players have to take some responsibility too - Martial in particular. he clearly wants out and isn't being a professional footballer when he puts the shirt on as a result. unacceptable really. he clearly isn't giving two shits in training either.

I'm in the support jose camp but jose has got the Martial situation wrong. Is Martial without faults - hell no.

Jose needs to support Martial like Shaw lately. Give him a run of starts. Sporadic starts dont usually work. Even Tevez couldn't handle that here. Then he went to city and won titles.

We can't score these days and Martial is our best dribbler and finisher. We have such a lack of composure in attack and Martial offers exactly that. His strengths outweigh his weaknesses.

Yes because his performance on the left wing is the same chance as being made to play as a striking partner next to Lukaku.

Nope forget it - give it to Lingard instead. Jesus.

Forget martial - why wasn't Rashford played upfront next to Lukaku instead of Lingard?

Do we ever play in striking partnerships? If not then why the hell do we continue to not use actual strikers in striking partnerships.

Absolutely diabolical management of a decent player - not overtly damn world class but has the ability to get 13 goals a season at the very least if he was played in a position that allows him to do so.

It really is not so complicated.

We go the whole preseason playing 352, revert back to 433 get demolished & then turn back to 352 playing one striker and an extra midfielder in defence.

I'd say give us the day as winners in supporting martial - you don't have much of a chance today.

At this moment Lingard is better than Rashford or Martial for our team. Playing Martial as striker is pure stupid as he doesn't make any runs and off ball movement is piss poor to play as a striker.

No idea why he hasn’t been sold, Mourinho’s won’t play him much and when he does he will be a scapegoat whether deserved or not.

He would be stupid to sign a new contract given current circumstances.

That is exactly how Martial performs and the way Martial FC reacts too.

I mean there's a reason to test how a forward line of Martial and Rashford in a 3-5-2 would work but sadly that experiment will never happen outside of the 5th round of a Carling cup tie and even when that happens and goes well, he'll revert back to normal for the next league game.

I mean there's a reason to test how a forward line of Martial and Rashford in a 3-5-2 would work but sadly that experiment will never happen outside of the 5th round of a Carling cup tie and even when that happens and goes well, he'll revert back to normal for the next league game.

I'm up for it. I want Martial to succeed. I don't think he will though. And I can see why Rashford is ahead of him, and if Martial isn't delivering we might as well play a better Sanchez who isn't delivering.

He probably would have scored the Lukaku miss. Normally he is very good in front of the goal.

Why was lingard played upfront today instead of martial?
I thought it was obvious what we were trying to do yesterday and I think this is also what mourinho meant when he alluded to tactical changes a while back, when he remarked that he didn't have all of his players back. So I guess this was at least intended to be the way forward.

To be frank, as much as i like the boy, Martial doesn't work in this kind of system. It's all about off the ball movement and positioning for the strikers, which Martial, sadly, still is pretty much devoid of. Those balls from midfield to the runners just require, um, yeah, runners on the receiving end. Yesterday Martial wouldn't have even got into the position to score Lukakus miss, as his positioning is linked to his poor movement.

I could see him work well in a 2 with Lukaku, but not in this kind of system. It's not a coincidence that he excelled in a more possession-based system (where I could see Lukaku struggle).

Martial had a chance again against Brighton, he was absolutely terrible. How many times can he keep getting chances and not performing anywhere near an acceptable standard before people stop making excuses for him?

The neutrals have even stopped defending him.

Shaw started the season with Young absent and could have told himself "meh won't matter if I played well he'll still play Youjg ahead of me like previous seaaon and everyone are criticizing me, gonna sulk till I run down my contract then feck off from this club"

Instead, he put a shift in his performance and is now starting despite Young being available.

Martial on the hand has fully taken the sulking mode and decided that he won't start anyway so why even bother ? Impossible attitude to be appreciated. Has been since preseason and showed it against Brighton.

We should have sold him.

Shaw started the season with Young absent and could have told himself "meh won't matter if I played well he'll still play Youjg ahead of me like previous seaaon and everyone are criticizing me, gonna sulk till I run down my contract then feck off from this club"

Instead, he put a shift in his performance and is now starting despite Young being available.

Martial on the hand has fully taken the sulking mode and decided that he won't start anyway so why even bother ? Impossible attitude to be appreciated. Has been since preseason and showed it against Brighton.

We should have sold him.

Where has he sulked ?

In the prseason and against Brighton he was completely in "don't give a feck" mode. It's so obvious to not be seen.

So he hasn't actually sulked, you're just interpreting his performances like that

Christ.

Ha why is this thread even active, he wasn't involved vs Spurs

We should have sold him.
Do you think he'd perform better under a different manager?

So he hasn't actually sulked, you're just interpreting his performances like that

Christ.

If you can't see it, it's your own problem, not mine.

His defenders will pile as mucu excuses for him as possible anyway.

If Martial would have gotten the same chance as Lukaku i am pretty sure that Martial would have scored the 1-0 in the first 45 minutes.

Not too sure if he would have gotten that chance since Martial might not have gonre after the bad pass Rose made...

Do you think he'd perform better under a different manager?

No manager will be fine with a player who has atrocious movement and doesn't run behind defenders. Whatever someone may improve it or not is the question, but simply neither Pep nor Klopp, who are the best attacking managers in the league, will love his static performance and dribbling only with the ball on his feet. Sterling, Sane, Salah and Mane don't stop running the whole game and make th play very fast. Martial looks suited more for a static team.

Martial had a chance again against Brighton, he was absolutely terrible. How many times can he keep getting chances and not performing anywhere near an acceptable standard before people stop making excuses for him?

The neutrals have even stopped defending him.

Was he any worse than Sanchez vs Leicester?

Was he any worse than Sanchez vs Leicester?

Sanchez created 4 chances, real sitters for Lukaku and Mata. Even with his crap passing he still had some influence on the attack.

Martial had one run and deflected shot and went invisible the rest of the game.

Sanchez was better for sure. Both not up to standard though.

So going off that, the likes of Alexis,Rashford and Lukaku are all shite now as well right?

Jose FC loyalists do as much projection as anyone when they talk about a group being 'indoctrinated' :lol:

Jose isn't handling the situation well at all but I think the main difference between Martial versus the other names mentioned is that Martial is clearly pouting and not putting in the effort while the others always do, even if they don't actually play any better.

No manager will be fine with a player who has atrocious movement and doesn't run behind defenders. Whatever someone may improve it or not is the question, but simply neither Pep nor Klopp, who are the best attacking managers in the league, will love his static performance and dribbling only with the ball on his feet. Sterling, Sane, Salah and Mane don't stop running the whole game and make th play very fast. Martial looks suited more for a static team.
I think Martial can excel under a possession based manager where he is told to run at defenders otherwise he wouldn't performed under LVG. Just needs to be given the confidence to express himself and play without fear of making mistakes.

No manager will be fine with a player who has atrocious movement and doesn't run behind defenders. Whatever someone may improve it or not is the question, but simply neither Pep nor Klopp, who are the best attacking managers in the league, will love his static performance and dribbling only with the ball on his feet. Sterlingz Sane, Salah and Mane don't stop running the whole game and make th play very fast. Martial looks suited more for a static team.
Point is, with the exception of Shaw, not one player is currently performing at their best under Jose. It's hard to say which players have downed tools and which are simply shite, but we do know that the manager isn't doing the job anymore. We've seen what the likes of Pogba can do under a different manager and a different setup. Since the manager looks to be on his way out, we may as well wait and see if someone else can get the best out of the likes of Pogba, Martial, Lukaku, Fred etc. before getting rid.

Do you ever grow tired of making excuses for underperforming players ?

What excuse have I made ?

I asked you if you had anything substantial to offer given your claim that he's sulking, and you say it's your interpretation of his performance (as substantial as it gets :lol:), then you go on a rant about Martial defenders.

Neither surprises me, given your absurd claims about our spendings and what the Glazer family is pocketing.

No idea why you're allowed to continue like that, ruins any chance of a sensible debate when there's the constant claims based on nothing else than weird interpretations based on what you want to believe

I think Martial can excel under a possession based manager where he is told to run at defenders otherwise he wouldn't performed under LVG. Just needs to be given the confidence to express himself and play without fear of making mistakes.

He would be good for a static team that loves bringing ball to the feet just like what LVG did.

Problem is, if we want a high pressing team like Pep and Klopp, Martial with his non existent movement will never be good enough for them

The question is whatever we can get someone to improve this point in him.

Point is, with the exception of Shaw, not one player is currently performing at their best under Jose. It's hard to say which players have downed tools and which are simply shite, but we do know that the manager isn't doing the job anymore. We've seen what the likes of Pogba can do under a different manager and a different setup. Since the manager looks to be on his way out, we may as well wait and see if someone else can get the best out of the likes of Pogba, Martial, Lukaku, Fred etc. before getting rid.

Mourinho needs to go.

But Martial hasn't earned anything from anyone to defend him either. He should be sold as well.

He needs to have a chat with Luke Shaw.
He needs to have a chat with a player who has had a run of games, who also has next to no competition for his spot in the team. Also been given more time after subpar performances prior to the totteham game? Please get a grip.

What excuse have I made ?

I asked you if you had anything substantial to offer given your claim that he's sulking, and you say it's your interpretation of his performance (as substantial as it gets :lol:), then you go on a rant about Martial defenders.

Neither surprises me, given your absurd claims about our spendings and what the Glazer family is pocketing.

No idea why you're allowed to continue like that, ruins any chance of a sensible debate when there's the constant claims based on nothing else than weird interpretations based on what you want to believe

Such a poor post. Nothing really to discuss here. You certainly have nothing to say anyway, not in this neither in the Glazers topic.

He would be good for a static team that loves bringing ball to the feet just like what LVG did.

Problem is, if we want a high pressing team like Pep and Klopp, Martial with his non existent movement will never be good enough for them

The question is whatever we can get someone to improve this point in him.
I think we can find someone to improve that side of his game. It's Mourinho who needs to go first. We have a group of under performing players that I'd like to see under a different manager before deciding whether to get rid or not.

Can only assume Woodward expects him to renew once we get a new manager. Otherwise it was crazy not to get rid of him this summer.

It's also a nice little trap to set Mourinho. The more Mou leaves him out, the more he's defying the board and making himself look like the difficult one.

I think we can find someone to improve that side of his game. It's Mourinho who needs to go first. We have a group of under performing players that I'd like to see under a different manager before deciding whether to get rid or not.

I actually not expecting anything from him with the new manager next season but let's see.

He needs to have a chat with a player who has had a run of games, who also has next to no competition for his spot in the team. Also been given more time after subpar performances prior to the totteham game? Please get a grip.

3 games counts as a 'run' now does it?

Martial needs to learn what the manager and the team needs for him, and to apply himself to do it, like its looks like Shaw has.

3 games counts as a 'run' now does it?

Martial needs to learn what the manager and the team needs for him, and to apply himself to do it, like its looks like Shaw has.

Don't be so fast, minute he has a poor performance we'll see what happens

Don't be so fast, minute he has a poor performance we'll see what happens

Absolutely, I was convinced he was off this summer, that he didn't have the attitude to make it at Utd.

Glad to be proved wrong, for now, hopefully he keeps it up, I think the signs are positive.

Now if Martial could do likewise it'd nice.

Absolutely, I was convinced he was off this summer, that he didn't have the attitude to make it at Utd.

Glad to be proved wrong, for now, hopefully he keeps it up, I think the signs are positive.

Now if Martial could do likewise it'd nice.

The reason I said what I did, was that Martial had a similar run last season, and then got axed after a bad performance. Its really how Shaw reacts to when his form dips (which it will as does happen to all our players really during the season)

Status
Not open for further replies.