View full 2018-19 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I wrote is that I find it strange that there's such distance between opinions, and that it's like people have already decided beforehand and that the performance itself doesn't matter. I'd expect it to be similar for players in similar situations where there's a clear divide in opinions, like with Fellaini. It's natural behavior, people are too focused on their initial beliefs that they are unlikely to change them. Considering the tolerance for hyperbole, it's a bit of a surprise that someone finds such a statement to be extremely problematic to the extent that the rest of the post is ignored, but whatever floats your boat.
Certain players split opinions a lot, it's natural. For example Pogba. Some people think he is our best player but Mourinho just doesn't know how to use him. Others think he is very inconsistent and should do much better for us. Both are right to some extent. Similar stuff with Martial as well. I think he is definitely a talented player and could be one of the best players in our team. On the other hand I am not sure about his mental side and desire to fulfil his potential as majority of games he is just a passenger and it's like playing 10 vs 11.

While i don't disagree with this, Martial was effective when he was hardly known to anyone and he could use that to his advantage. He literally has 1 trick up his sleeve i.e cut in from left. The defenders these days watch a lot of videos and sort themselves out. Martial needs more in his locker IMO.
Yes, he only ever cuts in :rolleyes: You really have to wonder do people like you actually watch games.

Ducker saying he's happy Mourinho was told to feck off by the club and sees his prospects improving if they give Jose his P45.

Ducker saying he's happy Mourinho was told to feck off by the club and sees his prospects improving if they give Jose his P45.

That's a bad place for a manager to be put in, now half the squad will be playing like he's halfway out the door.

Get him motivated, happy and hungry again which he definitely isnt with Mourinho here and he'll be quality IMO. Literally a change of manager would get a good level out of him I think, as he would probably feel he has a fair chance again which he definitely does not have now. Even ignoring how our playstyle is brutally bad right now and doesnt suit any of our attackers, which would surely improve under anyone.

It's a bit funny, it's only the 3rd week of the season but I'm sure many on here (and likely at the club) are more excited for next season and this season is a matter of riding it all out.

I think he's better playing upfront (based on exactly 2.5 games I've seen him playing there)

Seems like he''s playing the waiting game. Honestly in his situation most would do the same. Mourinho isn't guaranteed to be here next year unless he pulls off something extraordinary like winning the league despite the odds.

From the board's perspective, Mourinho is failing to motivate his players especially his most talented ones. With the risk of losing the likes of Pogba, Martial etc the board might see it as the better option to move on from Mourinho next season if things don't improve.

Either way next season we'll either lose any of Pogba, Martial or Mourinho and from the look of things, unless something exceptional happen, I'm sure Mourinho will be a goner.

While i don't disagree with this, Martial was effective when he was hardly known to anyone and he could use that to his advantage. He literally has 1 trick up his sleeve i.e cut in from left. The defenders these days watch a lot of videos and sort themselves out. Martial needs more in his locker IMO.
If that is true, what can be said about our other attackers? None of them can do shit all apart from kick and run, some can’t even do that properly.

I bet some on here would have loved Jose’s idea of swapping Martial for fecking Willian, yeah that would have been a stroke of genius.

If that is true, what can be said about our other attackers? None of them can do shit all apart from kick and run, some can’t even do that properly.

Yeah we need proper wingers.

Go on, please enlighten me what else he does consistently?
Since when did cutting in become a bad thing? I mean Messi, Ronaldo, Sánchez, Robben, Ribery ummm all cut in. It’s pretty much there go to direction. I would like to see him mix it up a bit more and go down the outside because when he has done it he has caused problems but he is a striker playing out wide and he wants to score goals so to do that he should be in and around the box which he doesn’t do enough for me. He’s got backs of little tricks and when he is dribbling at people at pace he can destroy people, so I don’t get this he only has one trick thing. He’s probably the most calm in the box we have and he does tend to try and involve others.

If he's poor again this season that'll be 3 seasons on a bounce where he's poor, at that point it's worrying for him so perhaps he should pull a finger out rather than "wait it out".

All the attitude issues / problems with coach aside, I still think he should be played as a central forward in order to show his true ability.

Aside from whether he's good enough or not, I'm not sure him or Rashford know how to play in a 3. Not sure either football IQ is good enough....

It’s a problem that no matter how bad he plays now, doesn’t matter if he tries or not, the board will continue to choose his side. If the rest of the team have this mentality then we are already doomed.

Complete shambles from the board.

There is no accountablity from the players, everything is the managers fault. It reaches a point where Mourinho probably doesn’t feel like he can trust Martial on the pitch, but if he does not pick him there is obvious criticism being aimed at the manager.

I think it's very concerning that he's willing to wait things out. Shows a lack of ambition in my eyes. I've said it after last season ended that if he stayed at United with Mourinho still in charge, that's a worrying prospect for how he wants his career to go. I was pretty happy with him how he came back from a disastrous second season to becoming a started in his third under a Mourinho that's clearly not a fan of his. However now, I think he's just settling into the situation he's in and for a player of his age and talent, it's not a good look IMO.

Go on, please enlighten me what else he does consistently?
I suggest you watch more closely. Or just as a sampler, you could take a look at his highlights. I won't be describing every movement he makes, the proof is there for you to take a look at. There are a number of videos posted in this thread disproving your notion.

Yes, he only ever cuts in :rolleyes: You really have to wonder do people like you actually watch games.

Let's not forget young Ronaldo was a 'one trick pony' with his step over. Not that Martial is anywhere near Ronaldo. Martial has a lot to his game, but his reluctance to demand the ball and make himself available is affecting his potency in games.

Let's not forget young Ronaldo was a 'one trick pony' with his step over. Not that Martial is anywhere near Ronaldo. Martial has a lot to his game, but his reluctance to demand the ball and make himself available is affecting his potency in games.
I agree with pretty much all of that. I feel that not imposing himself on games is a confidence issue more than anything else.

If he's poor again this season that'll be 3 seasons on a bounce where he's poor, at that point it's worrying for him so perhaps he should pull a finger out rather than "wait it out".
Does this same criteria of yours refer to Rashford, Lingard, Pogba and co? Because they’ve all had 3-2 seasons on a the bounce where they have been poor. I mean they have all been at the same level or worse.

I just dont think hes actually that good. Wouldn't mind if we sold him. Too inconsistent for me.

I suggest you watch more closely. Or just as a sampler, you could take a look at his highlights. I won't be describing every movement he makes, the proof is there for you to take a look at. There are a number of videos posted in this thread disproving your notion.

Consistently i said. No one doubts he doesn't have any moves, just his application part is one dimensional. You hardly see him hitting the byline. He needs to mix it up.

It’s a problem that no matter how bad he plays now, doesn’t matter if he tries or not, the board will continue to choose his side. If the rest of the team have this mentality then we are already doomed.

There is no accountablity from the players, everything is the managers fault. It reaches a point where Mourinho probably doesn’t feel like he can trust Martial on the pitch, but if he does not pick him there is obvious criticism being aimed at the manager.
Pretty much this. The players need to be accountable for their actions on the pitch regardless of how defensive or pragmatic the tactical setup is.

In ~7400 mins (~82 games). That's not quite productive.

Well only Young, Valencia and Mata have more PL assists than Martial in this United squad overall.
Mata has the same number of assists as Martial since Martial joined United (including his one so far this season). Here are a few player assist stats since Martial signed:

Mata 17
Pogba 16
Rashford 11
Lingard 11
Herrera 11
Valencia 9
Young 8
Lukaku 7

Martial is United's joint leader in assists in the time he's been at the club (20th overall for United in PL era). If he's not productive in this sense then our players are really collectively underachieving. I haven't looked into the minutes played but im guessing the likes of Lingard, Herrera, Pogba and even Rashford have probably played more minutes than Martial over the last three seasons.

Well only Young, Valencia and Mata have more PL assists than Martial in this United squad overall.
Mata has the same number of assists as Martial since Martial joined United (including his one so far this season). Here are a few player assist stats since Martial signed:

Mata 17
Pogba 16
Rashford 11
Lingard 11
Herrera 11
Valencia 9
Young 8
Lukaku 7

Martial is United's joint leader in assists in the time he's been at the club (20th overall for United in PL era). If he's not productive in this sense then our players are really collectively underachieving. I haven't looked into the minutes played but im guessing the likes of Lingard, Herrera, Pogba and even Rashford have probably played more minutes than Martial over the last three seasons.

Wow, looking at those stats is just depressing. No wonder we have been struggling for the past 5 years. Thanks for sharing.

If this is true, stupid stupid boy. If the club had any sense then they won't be offering him a new deal considering he's publicly undermining the manager by saying he's not going to try until the manager is sacked. What an utter disgrace.

Agreed, what a disgrace. Enjoy the pine for the rest of the year and then we won't be offering you a new deal due to this disgraceful behavior. Tat fecking ah. Buhbye.

(If true of course.)

Does this same criteria of yours refer to Rashford, Lingard, Pogba and co? Because they’ve all had 3-2 seasons on a the bounce where they have been poor. I mean they have all been at the same level or worse.
I doubt he's thought that far.

This is why a stint on the RW wing could help him develop further and add more tools to his arsenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.