5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a point in another thread but will repeat here. I believe Martinez will take the "playmaker" role in the team this season. This is why Onana is key - his job will be to bypass the first pressing wave so that Licha gets the ball in space and can progress it forward. The way Onana positions himself in front of the box also pushes the back line higher, what means Martinez can effectively take central position like deep lying playmaker does. This is a mitigation strategy as we are not getting De Jong type of a player in midfield (also, Mount doesn't seem involved in the build up at all so far, early days but not unexpected I guess).

He's fun to watch that's for sure. I know he was supposed to be good on the ball but the way he passes and sprints to make himself available to receive a pass again is very refreshing to see.

Licha line breaking, Onana taking up the CB role in the build up. Mount and Fernandes being final third hounders to press the ball back high in case of counters.

Ten Hag is cooking...

Some of our ex players are idiots
Yorke is an idiot who claims he doesn’t have a son. The last person I’d listen to. De Gea was and is finished.
Bit harsh. I think we'll be better with Onana but it's not exactly like this is the most controversial opinion in the world. People are being too quick to fawn over Onana because of how desperate they were to see DDG out of the door. He still has it all to prove here.

Bit harsh. I think we'll be better with Onana but it's not exactly like this is the most controversial opinion in the world. People are being too quick to fawn over Onana because of how desperate they were to see DDG out of the door. He still has it all to prove here.

Our ex players shouldn’t be bashing our new signings, he’s just trying to cause division for no reason. DDG has left the club Yorke and others need to move on.

It's ironic isn't it, that it was the people defending De Gea last year who kept repeating, "Be careful what you wish for", and saying that we would be quick to judge the new signing. Lo and behold, the new signing arrives, and those very same De Gea fans are the ones quick to judge the new signing and throw him under the bus to continue pretending that De Gea wasn't finished five years ago. Those people are missing the point; even if the answer isn't Onana (I hope that he is), that doesn't mean the right answer was De Gea. He was arguably our weakest player last season.

So good. See how even in tight areas or difficult passes, he plays the ball with the right weight and the right placement to give our player a good chance to play the next pass out of danger with his first touch. Weight of pass and exact placement is so important and he just has it.

I like how RM players were pressing him aggressively initially, but eases it off or does it half-heartedly as the match progresses as they realised how press-resistant Onana is.

He may not be as good a shot stopper but he will finally enable us to build up effectively from the back.

He still has it all to prove here.

Yeah, that's true.

But I get the distinct impression that a certain segment have already decided that his style is a liability.

Another segment are just not used to seeing a GK operate in anything like the way he does - but they'll get used to it soon enough and give him a fair chance to prove himself on his own terms: the latter is key, though: he obviously is nothing like DDG (or any keeper they've seen regularly for United).

It's ironic isn't it, that it was the people defending De Gea last year who kept repeating, "Be careful what you wish for", and saying that we would be quick to judge the new signing. Lo and behold, the new signing arrives, and those very same De Gea fans are the ones quick to judge the new signing and throw him under the bus to continue pretending that De Gea wasn't finished five years ago. Those people are missing the point; even if the answer isn't Onana (I hope that he is), that doesn't mean the right answer was De Gea. He was arguably our weakest player last season.
Spot on.

De Gea was never good enough for a coach who placed emphasis on vertical positional play. His career at United and with Spain ended pretty quickly as soon as Luis Enrique and Erik ten Hag turned up. It would've been the same if Guardiola had replaced Fergie in 2013.

It really is a rubbish take for him to claim that the PL is a different kettle of fish which Onana might somehow be unable to adapt to, unless you missed his performance in multiple European competitions over the past years for both Ajax and Inter. When did he mess up in matches against PL opposition (including the last CL final barely a few weeks ago) which should make us worried? It's like some people have already decided that they are never going to like whosoever EtH brought in to replace DDG. It wouldn't be an issue if he had said this when we were still thinking about extending De Gea, what's the point bringing up the whole "be careful what you wish for" now that we have already signed Onana as our new starting gk for the coming season (at very least)?

This is shit we will have to contend with for a while.
You wonder why despite playing for a great coach, so many of our ex-players turned out to be awful coaches. You hear them speak and realise why. They are stuck in their ways.

Rio and co. when asked about DDG seem to give their opinion on his best seasons at the club...but those can be as far as 3-4 seasons ago.

Just watch DDG in the FA Cup final a few months back...he was a nervous wreck and just hoofed the ball out of play 90% of the time.

EtH has to make choices now not 3-4 seasons ago.

It really is a rubbish take for him to claim that the PL is a different kettle of fish which Onana might somehow be unable to adapt to, unless you missed his performance in multiple European competitions over the past years for both Ajax and Inter. When did he mess up in matches against PL opposition (including the last CL final barely a few weeks ago) which should make us worried? It's like some people have already decided that they are never going to like whosoever EtH brought in to replace DDG. It wouldn't be an issue if he had said this when we were still thinking about extending De Gea, what's the point bringing up the whole "be careful what you wish for" now that we have already signed Onana as our new starting gk for the coming season at very least?

ETH has a replaced a player who's been in terminal decline for about 5 years, doesn't suit his system and was on ridiculous wages for what he actually offered on the pitch. And he's replaced him with a player he knows, who plays the way he wants, has loads of top level experience and played in the biggest CL games and been a standout performer while doing it.

It's not like Schmeichel being replaced with Mark fecking Bosnich again.

You'd think players who have actually played the game at the highest level would be able to recognise that.

So good. See how even in tight areas or difficult passes, he plays the ball with the right weight and the right placement to give our player a good chance to play the next pass out of danger with his first touch. Weight of pass and exact placement is so important and he just has it.

He has better passing ability then many midfielders.

To think we go from very poor passing from the GK to maybe the best in modern football is crazy good.

It might take a few months but with Onana and Mount I think we will see this team transformed in possession.

It really is a rubbish take for him to claim that the PL is a different kettle of fish which Onana might somehow be unable to adapt to, unless you missed his performance in multiple European competitions over the past years for both Ajax and Inter. When did he mess up in matches against PL opposition (including the last CL final barely a few weeks ago) which should make us worried? It's like some people have already decided that they are never going to like whosoever EtH brought in to replace DDG. It wouldn't be an issue if he had said this when we were still thinking about extending De Gea, what's the point bringing up the whole "be careful what you wish for" now that we have already signed Onana as our new starting gk for the coming season (at very least)?

Don't look up Liverpool - Ajax 1-0 20/21 I repeat: Don't look it up.

It wouldn't be an issue if he had said this when we were still thinking about extending De Gea, what's the point bringing up the whole "be careful what you wish for" now that we have already signed Onana as our new starting gk for the coming season (at very least)?

Yeah, good point.

It comes across as shit stirring, really.

Rio and co. when asked about DDG seem to give their opinion on his best seasons at the club...but those can be as far as 3-4 seasons ago.

Just watch DDG in the FA Cup final a few months back...he was a nervous wreck and just hoofed the ball out of play 90% of the time.

EtH has to make choices now not 3-4 seasons ago.
I agree with you, just that De Gea had one of his best games for us in a long while in the League Cup final. He was sweeping, collecting crosses and so on while fighting for a new contract.

He's played in a CL final against the best team in the PL, and he performed brilliantly, dealing with City's high press without issue. Yet Dwight Yorke thinks he may struggle in the PL. I guess that's one of the problems with football, it attracts a lot of half wits who spout clichés and repeat the same old tired lines because they're unable to come up with original thoughts of their own.

He's obviously a very good keeper and he's obviously a much better fit for United under Ten Hag. That isn't opinion, it's fact. His stats and attributes as a keeper show he's a much better fit for this team. De Gea is the past. Some people need to start living in the present

I value de Gea’s sudden quick flashes of brilliance but ultimately it’s good to just have a goalkeeper that can catch a corner once in a while.

I think we will miss De Gea’s wonder saves - but ultimately it might just bring the best/ the evolution of our defenders knowing that they can’t rely on De Gea just saving things with his feet after they have made a mistake themselves.

I know it was inevitable, but the comparisons to De Gea is already starting to get tiresome.

It’s not like his form towards end of last year was anything close to his prime.

Ultimately moving on from De Gea was the correct decision and will remain so regardless of whether Onana is a success or not. You shouldn't continue with subpar players just because there's a risk of failure when it comes to replacing them.

For the record I think Onana will be a massive success.

Our ex players shouldn’t be bashing our new signings, he’s just trying to cause division for no reason. DDG has left the club Yorke and others need to move on.
He has an opinion, he has no obligation to toe the party line. It would bother me more if our former players felt unable to state an opinion that wasn't wholly positive about the club. Would you consider ex united players knocking the glazers to be causing division for no reason?
I genuinely haven't seen anyone throwing him under the bus. I've seen people critical of his performance vs Madrid but, again, that's not exactly a mental take.
Yeah, that's true.

But I get the distinct impression that a certain segment have already decided that his style is a liability.

Another segment are just not used to seeing a GK operate in anything like the way he does - but they'll get used to it soon enough and give him a fair chance to prove himself on his own terms: the latter is key, though: he obviously is nothing like DDG (or any keeper they've seen regularly for United).
Yeah, I think there will always be some that don't want to walk back an opinion they've taken so will be looking for things to validate it. Human nature, alas!
I hope he'll be great but, again, it's not a wild take to assume that it may take him a little time to adjust. Playing in the prem week in week out is clearly different than a few one off games. And again, Yorke is entitled to his opinion and it's not one that I think is particularly mental (though I don't agree with it). It just seems to have pushed the buttons of folks that couldn't wait to see DDG out.

I like how RM players were pressing him aggressively initially, but eases it off or does it half-heartedly as the match progresses as they realised how press-resistant Onana is.

He may not be as good a shot stopper but he will finally enable us to build up effectively from the back.
Yeah, happened with city in the CL final. They basically had no high press vs Inter. To add to it, inter had the ability to go long as Dzeko and lautaro can actually do things with long balls.

Ultimately moving on from De Gea was the correct decision and will remain so regardless of whether Onana is a success or not. You shouldn't continue with subpar players just because there's a risk of failure when it comes to replacing them.

For the record I think Onana will be a massive success.

This is how i is see it too. Pep got bravo who was a failure and then got Ederson. Just because bravo looked worse than hart doesn't mean replacing hart was a bad idea.

The background music :eek:

It will be mostly the same people hounding DeGea that will criticize Onana, mark my words.

Don't look up Liverpool - Ajax 1-0 20/21 I repeat: Don't look it up.
Okay, so you got me there (being an Ajax fan that one must have really stuck in your memory), so he messed up once in a match against Liverpool some three years ago and once before that against Tottenham in 2019. Still, considering the amount of CL games he has played in his career so far, just the fact that we can't count more than a couple of errors he has made in matches against PL opposition should mean one can't be justified in doubting his ability to adapt to the PL. It's not like he will be playing City and Liverpool every week, which even if he did, the last CL final rather says that he has grown and developed his art since 2020 and we can be optimistic about his chances of success in the PL.

It will be mostly the same people hounding DeGea that will criticize Onana, mark my words.
I've criticized De Gea more than most because he's been an absolute liability for years, but I'll always call it as I see it. If Onana isn't up to it, then I'll say that, but based on everything I've seen so far (including an incredibly impressive debut), I think he will be a roaring success. Have you considered the other option, that people were critical of De Gea because he was actually pretty poor, and that a new keeper won't receive as much criticism because he won't be anywhere near as bad? I honestly think there's a massive reality check coming to a lot of people this year when they realise 1) just how poor De Gea was and 2) just how much difference a top ball-playing keeper can make. The issue is so many have entrenched themselves in outdated views that even when that happens, they will downplay Onana and his impact.

Okay, so you got me there (being an Ajax fan that one must have really stuck in your memory), so he messed up once in a match against Liverpool some three years ago and once before that against Tottenham in 2019. Still, considering the amount of CL games he has played in his career so far, just the fact that we can't count more than a couple of errors he has made in matches against PL opposition should mean one can't be justified in doubting his ability to adapt to the PL. It's not like he will be playing City and Liverpool every week, which even if he did, the last CL final rather says that he has grown and developed his art since 2020 and we can be optimistic about his chances of success in the PL.
Oh absolutely. It was meant a little tongue in cheek but hell that was an awful moment. Especially since we also lost the home game 1-0 because of a very unfortunate own goals by Tagliafico. Let's just say the scousers weren't without luck over two legs.

Honestly he didn't really mess up against Tottemham in 2019. That was really just everything imploding at once. Too bad for us it was the difference between possibly our fifth CL title and an everlasting could have been would have been should have been trauma.

On here? Not a chance.

The people who actively, vocally wanted DDG out obviously won't be biased against Onana.

On the Internet as a whole, who knows - my impression is that most "fans" who post idiotic hot takes on...wherever don't actually watch our games (or are utter and probably underage feckwits).

You have to love it. For at least 4 years now, everyone is going on about how we need a goalkeeper that is good with the ball on his feet, almost playing like a libero due to playing with a high line. We sign one and everyone is like "Oh gee, he is playing so high up the pitch and thinks he is a field player and shit and this is really giving me anxiety, oh man, gee, I wish he would stop doing that, or it's going to cost us dearly."

I hope he'll be great but, again, it's not a wild take to assume that it may take him a little time to adjust. Playing in the prem week in week out is clearly different than a few one off games. And again, Yorke is entitled to his opinion and it's not one that I think is particularly mental (though I don't agree with it). It just seems to have pushed the buttons of folks that couldn't wait to see DDG out.
While I get your point, I really think it was a bit of shit stirring for him to bring comparison with DdG in order to put Onana in a bad light, it wasn't necessary. I don't have the full context of the conversation, maybe he was indeed asked to compare both, but as a fan of United, I'm not sure I like to hear one of our club legends openly doubting our new signing before he has even played a single competitive match for us. It's his right, your're right, but I also think it was a cnut move towards Onana who is new to the club to hear one of our legends saying that to the press.

While I get your point, I really think it was a bit of shit stirring for him to bring comparison with DdG in order to put Onana in a bad light, it wasn't necessary. I don't have the full context of the conversation, maybe he was indeed asked to compare both, but as a fan of United, I'm not sure I like to hear one of our club legends openly doubting our new signing before he has even played a single competitive match for us. It's his right, your're right, but I also think it was a cnut move towards Onana who is new to the club to hear one of our legends saying that to the press.
I see where you're coming from as well. Here's hoping he proves him wrong!

Are there any United legend who seem to understand the modern game, every time they speak it seems like they're still stuck in the early 00's and 90's.
The point is to actually be an extra outfielder during our build up, it is how you create numerical superiority and control possession. Does he think he does it for showmanship or he can't fathom football tactics?

You have to love it. For at least 4 years now, everyone is going on about how we need a goalkeeper that is good with the ball on his feet, almost playing like a libero due to playing with a high line. We sign one and everyone is like "Oh gee, he is playing so high up the pitch and thinks he is a field player and shit and this is really giving me anxiety, oh man, gee, I wish he would stop doing that, or it's going to cost us dearly."

Teams would pressure us constantly because they knew either De Gea or Maguire had an error or three in them. If Onana, Licha and the other cbs are slicing through press with ease it'll make teams adapt and they'll probably forego pressing us so hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.