Victor Osimhen | out of options | goes to Gala on loan

Spalleti said this in his first season. Kinda lazy to regurgitate this years on, after he's clearly developed.
Eh? He said that at the end of 2022 which was his third season, so clearly he hasn't developed. What particular aspect of what I mentioned do you think he has improved? Because from what I can tell watching him, and what is discussed in Napoli forum, he is still lacking a lot and is not anywhere near Nicolas Jackson here.

Nicolas Jackson also play in Premier League while Osimhen plays against the likes of Salernitana, Monza, Lecce and Empoli. This is a major context, one of huge importance because we've seen fairly mediocre strikers score a ton of goals in Serie A.
Belotti with his 26 goals for Torino, a 36 year old Giroud scoring the same amount of goals as Osimhen in not so much more minutes, Higuain scored 36 goals in 15/16, Dzeko (I don't think he is mediocre, he is pretty good) 29 goals in 16/17, Icardi and Immobile with 29 goals each in 17/18, Quagliarella with 26 goals and Zapata with 23 in 18/19, Immobile with 36 goals in 19/20 and the list goes on.

These strikers scored more than Osimhen, but none have been talked about as elite strikers. The reason is because at that time there were actual elite strikers around and so we didn't have to pretend that decent strikers are world class.

As for your comment on Osimhen being easy to create chances for, it is the exact opposite. It is easy to create chances for Nicolas Jackson, while Osimhen is only a poacher and so you need perfect delivery for him to be able to do something. He is more invisible than Haaland a lot of games, and we all know how Haaland can look like if he doesn't get service. Even Spalletti (who he won Serie A with) said he needs to do much better in terms of build up, link up and working together with his team mates.

Osimhen is far from a goal a game striker, and even if he was, he has only shown it in Serie A where Immobile and Lukaku shine. He doesn't perform in CL so there's that too.
He's an effective poacher precisely because he's easy to create chances for, same as Haaland. Your post betrays a failure to recognise the value of a striker who can consistently get on the end of chances, be they crosses, balls behind the line, cutbacks, whatever.

Notice that I said "at his peak he's more or less a goal a game striker." This is factually correct, as in his best season he averaged a goal every 99 minutes.

When Napoli were actually good, he very much did perform in the CL. Oddly enough the team didn't do so well when Spaletti left and took his winnings formula with him. That's going to affect your star striker, but Osimhen still scored in the knockouts against Barcelona anyway during - again - a season in which he was struggling.

But look, if you want to believe that Nicolas Jackson is a better player than Osimhen then that's up to you. But using comments from four years ago when the player was 21 and in a new country, downplaying an entire nation's footballing credentials, and demonstrating a clear lack of appreciation as to how goalscorers actually go about scoring goals, are all extremely poor ways to argue your case.

Eh? He said that at the end of 2022 which was his third season, so clearly he hasn't developed. What particular aspect of what I mentioned do you think he has improved? Because from what I can tell watching him, and what is discussed in Napoli forum, he is still lacking a lot and is not anywhere near Nicolas Jackson here.
He joined Napoli in the 2020/2021 season. The 2021/2022 season was his second season at Napoli. Can you share the particular comments you're referring to so I'm sure we're on the same page?

If anything, it appears that Spaletti said the opposite of what you've claimed:

“He has the quality, it’s us who have to improve in serving him, not dribbling all the time and not putting the defenders in a position to defend against his qualities."
https://football-italia.net/spalletti-feels-napoli-must-improve-service-to-osimhen/

As for Jackson vs. Osimhen Jackson clearly is better on the ball, but as a focal point for a big team he is vastly inferior to what Osimhen would bring. Just that ability to occupy the CBs, press like a madman, be dominant in the air, and most importantly, actually finish chances at a decent rate.

I find it hard to believe that Osimhen as a Nigerian would rather go to PSG than Chelsea. Chelsea and United are two of the most supported clubs in Nigeria, are they not @Cassidy? My impression is that these two are dream clubs for a lot of them, and don't think they have any affiliation with PSG or Ligue 1 clubs in general.

As for the wage part, I don't understand why he demands so much. I know that's what he makes - or rather that's what Chelsea have to pay for him to earn as much due to taxes, but why could he not reduce his wages? He isn't a player that should earn £300k, so no sympathy from me when he would rather sit and rot and not even train with the team instead of lowering his demanda and play for Chelsea in Premier League.
He agent said he didn’t want the Chelea move and Fabrizio said all summer he was waiting for PSG. Just because Obi Mikel blew smoke up Chelsea fans rears all summer does not make Osimhen a Chelsea fan. Osimhen wanted a UCL level club

He did want to go to PSG. He said yes to their terms. Should be noted we had not even discussed terms or agreed to pursue him at that point. And even then a string contingent of his countrymen were pressing him to wait and watch for Chelsea.

Wanting PSG is not the same as NOT wanting Chelsea. You are conflating two things incorrectly
Know I am saying what was reported he also wanted the PSG move last summer which caused issues when Napoli rejected the bid

I’d take him in January for the right price

Makes no sense to have 3 strikers for 1 position when none of them are going to be content with sitting on the bench. Also, Hojlund and Osimhen are too similar profiles. Another reason why it would be an illogical move.

Makes no sense to have 3 strikers for 1 position when none of them are going to be content with sitting on the bench. Also, Hojlund and Osimhen are too similar profiles. Another reason why it would be an illogical move.

He is better than Hojlund . We need a proven a striker why I was hoping we would Hijack the Toney deal to Saudi. Should of sold Sancho early in the window

He is better than Hojlund . We need a proven a striker why I was hoping we would Hijack the Toney deal to Saudi. Should of sold Sancho early in the window

Maybe he's better now, but he's just 25, so wouldn't be coming in as a stop-gap signing, and long-term, Hojlund will be better.

Maybe he's better now, but he's just 25, so wouldn't be coming in as a stop-gap signing, and long-term, Hojlund will be better.
Hojlund might be better. Osimhen is also still developing. We’ll also sign another striker in Jan or next summer by the way. We are still tracking Sesko

I think Zirkzee will get games playing anywhere along the front 3, so really it’s two 9s for one position. Plus Hojlund has proven to be slightly injury prone so far.

Also competition at top clubs isn’t a bad thing. We had Andy Cole and Ole as options for centre forward (not second striker) in 2001 - we still bought Ruud.

He's an effective poacher precisely because he's easy to create chances for, same as Haaland. Your post betrays a failure to recognise the value of a striker who can consistently get on the end of chances, be they crosses, balls behind the line, cutbacks, whatever.

Notice that I said "at his peak he's more or less a goal a game striker." This is factually correct, as in his best season he averaged a goal every 99 minutes.

When Napoli were actually good, he very much did perform in the CL. Oddly enough the team didn't do so well when Spaletti left and took his winnings formula with him. That's going to affect your star striker, but Osimhen still scored in the knockouts against Barcelona anyway during - again - a season in which he was struggling.

But look, if you want to believe that Nicolas Jackson is a better player than Osimhen then that's up to you. But using comments from four years ago when the player was 21 and in a new country, downplaying an entire nation's footballing credentials, and demonstrating a clear lack of appreciation as to how goalscorers actually go about scoring goals, are all extremely poor ways to argue your case.
By that logic, then Immobile - the Dortmund reject and Bundesliga failure - is also a goal a game striker. And Lukaku, Dzeko, Belotti etc. But how often do we see this peak? And what guarantees is there he will do it in Premier League? Doing well in Serie A doesn't mean you can translate it to other leagues, and especially Premier League.

Besides, he misses 1/3 of the season every year, so what does it matter?

I don't think Nicolas Jackson is better as a striker, I think he is a better fit for Chelsea and a better footballer and can potentially explode into a much better player once he refines his finishing and other traits.

You don't even know what comments I'm talking about. You're just blindly following what the other poster said because it suits your case, and you're one to talk about poor way of arguing my case..?
The comments are from november 2022 which is Osimhen's third season for Napoli. The way you're going on about how he scores goals, you'd think he was scoring like Haaland, but the fact is - whether you like it or not - he has only scored more than 15 league goals once. Ever. In Serie A.

Hojlund might be better. Osimhen is also still developing. We’ll also sign another striker in Jan or next summer by the way. We are still tracking Sesko
He's nearly 26, he's in his peak years.

I think Zirkzee will get games playing anywhere along the front 3, so really it’s two 9s for one position. Plus Hojlund has proven to be slightly injury prone so far.

Also competition at top clubs isn’t a bad thing. We had Andy Cole and Ole as options for centre forward (not second striker) in 2001 - we still bought Ruud.

I don't think a third striker is needed at this point. If we go on to sign one, it should be an older player who's content with being a rotational option, like Joselu was at Madrid last season. Three very good young players for one position won't work out, it's 99% guaranteed IMO. I'm also skeptical about Zirkzee's versatility, as he hasn't really played on the wings in his career yet. And I doubt Bruno or an in-form Hojlund would be dropped by ETH, and rightly so.

Also, Hojlund has just had one season where he sustained few injuries as well, but he's extremely promising, and Zirkzee has only had two games. There's not enough data overall on our current striker situation yet IMO.

Will Zirkzee take well to being benched, if Hojlund comes back into the team, and starts scoring goals regularly? I doubt it.

How would it affect Hojlund if the opposite happened, and he couldn't force his way back into the team because Zirkzee was in great form?

It's also a big difference that United used to play with 2 strikers in the XI 20+ years ago under Ferguson. You could have 3 or 4 quality options in that case, but for just 1 position, you can't have three out and out number nines, all young and very good, all needing a lot of playtime. And like I said, Zirkzee's versatility is going to be heavily limited by Bruno IMO. He's a world class #10, always available, and is our captain. He's not getting dropped. There will almost certainly be a period this season when Zirkzee doesn't really start for weeks, because Hojlund hits form.

I don't think a third striker is needed at this point. If we go on to sign one, it should be an older player who's content with being a rotational option, like Joselu was at Madrid last season. Three very good young players for one position won't work out, it's 99% guaranteed IMO. I'm also skeptical about Zirkzee's versatility, as he hasn't really played on the wings in his career yet. And I doubt Bruno or an in-form Hojlund would be dropped by ETH, and rightly so.

Also, Hojlund has just had one season where he sustained few injuries as well, but he's extremely promising, and Zirkzee has only had two games. There's not enough data overall on our current striker situation yet IMO.

Will Zirkzee take well to being benched, if Hojlund comes back into the team, and starts scoring goals regularly? I doubt it.

How would it affect Hojlund if the opposite happened, and he couldn't force his way back into the team because Zirkzee was in great form?

It's also a big difference that United used to play with 2 strikers in the XI 20+ years ago under Ferguson. You could have 3 or 4 quality options in that case, but for just 1 position, you can't have three out and out number nines, all young and very good, all needing a lot of playtime. And like I said, Zirkzee's versatility is going to be heavily limited by Bruno IMO. He's a world class #10, always available, and is our captain. He's not getting dropped. There will almost certainly be a period this season when Zirkzee doesn't really feature for weeks, because Hojlund hits form.
Hojlund was injured when we bought him, got injured mid-season, and is now injured this season. I don’t think you can say it’s just a blip, and although he might grow out of it, it seems clear he can’t be relied upon week in, week out. United of all clubs should understand the need to plan around injuries.

Also signing competition can give you unexpected results, and as long as the team benefits does it matter who sits out? We only signed Evra in 2005 because Heinze picked up an injury - but he turned out to be even better and Heinze was sold not long after. If we’d have allowed ourselves to stagnate and think “well we’ve got Silvestre who can play there until Heinze returns, let’s not rock the boat in case he leaves” we’d have never seen Evra put on a United shirt and become a club legend.

And while yes we did play with 2 strikers 20 years ago, I made sure to clarify that it was the number 9 position we had Ole and Cole for, not second striker which is where Yorke, Teddy, Cantona, Scholes etc would all play. We still had 2 strikers for one position, and signed a third in Ruud - who again went onto be legendary.

I’m not saying Osimhen would go on to achieve the status of Evra or Ruud, but just saying that Ferguson didn’t allow us to think ‘they’re good enough for now’ - he was always looking to upgrade. And the players could either relish the challenge or move on. Some did, but the team was better off for this mindset.

Why were Chelsea trying to sign Osimhen in this case? Surely it makes no sense. Let Jackson get minutes and grow.

Because we wanted 2 strikers and a different profile of striker to Jackson hence the links to Duran, Samu and Osimhen.

No he didn't and that still doesn't mean he never wanted to come to Chelsea either.
He didnt sign for you after you club sent delegates to Napoli for 3 days. He wanted a UCL level club. That doesnt change because Obi Mikel convinced you all

By that logic, then Immobile - the Dortmund reject and Bundesliga failure - is also a goal a game striker. And Lukaku, Dzeko, Belotti etc. But how often do we see this peak? And what guarantees is there he will do it in Premier League? Doing well in Serie A doesn't mean you can translate it to other leagues, and especially Premier League.

Besides, he misses 1/3 of the season every year, so what does it matter?

I don't think Nicolas Jackson is better as a striker, I think he is a better fit for Chelsea and a better footballer and can potentially explode into a much better player once he refines his finishing and other traits.

You don't even know what comments I'm talking about. You're just blindly following what the other poster said because it suits your case, and you're one to talk about poor way of arguing my case..?
The comments are from november 2022 which is Osimhen's third season for Napoli. The way you're going on about how he scores goals, you'd think he was scoring like Haaland, but the fact is - whether you like it or not - he has only scored more than 15 league goals once. Ever. In Serie A.
Maybe you should read back through the thread because it doesn't seem as if you've at all grasped why I posted the reply I did in the first place, but rather jumped in to make some odd, barely relevant point.

If you want to try to convince somebody that Jackson is a better player than Osimhen, I suggest you try someone else. Perhaps a Chelsea fan dismissive of all football outside the Premier League who hasn't watched either player?

Good luck on the hunt.

He didnt sign for you after you club sent delegates to Napoli for 3 days. He wanted a UCL level club. That doesnt change because Obi Mikel convinced you all

Because he didn't want to take a wage cut, nothing to to with us not being in the CL.

I would 100% be looking at this player in the next window or as soon as we're able to.

Having too many players for one position is not really a good enough argument in my eyes, considering so many of our players spend time out being injured. There are not many of our players who I would consider to be doing such a good job that they are unworthy of being dropped or rotated. Every single spot is up for grabs and every single position must be earned. You want to keep the spot, you perform and you earn it to deserve it.

Hojlund is currently out injured. We could use Osimhen right now.
When Hojlund, Osimhen and Zirkzee are all fit and available, we play the one who is most in form and the most likely to get us goals. It is highly unlikely that all three will be in form at the same time.
Competition is good and healthy at a football club. Competition for Hojlund's position will force him to have to work harder to maintain his spot. If he can't deal with competition and isn't able to raise his game, then is he actually good enough for a Premier League club that is trying to redevelop themselves into title contenders anyway?
If Hojlund raises his game and Osimhen turns out to not be useful after all, we move him on when the time is right.

Putting all of our eggs in the Hojlund basket is folly.

Chelsea is UCL club. Conference league is also CL.

So you’re saying a striker does not develop post 25?
Yes but not a large amount. They usually have a good amount of experience, in this case a lot, and they are physically fully developed. New trainers with a new team can help, but he won't improve much. He will start to physically decline in around 2 years most likely.

I would 100% be looking at this player in the next window or as soon as we're able to.

Having too many players for one position is not really a good enough argument in my eyes, considering so many of our players spend time out being injured. There are not many of our players who I would consider to be doing such a good job that they are unworthy of being dropped or rotated. Every single spot is up for grabs and every single position must be earned. You want to keep the spot, you perform and you earn it to deserve it.

When Hojlund, Osimhen and Zirkzee are all fit and available, we play the one who is most in form and the most likely to get us goals. It is highly unlikely that all three will be in form at the same time.
Competition is good and healthy at a football club. Competition for Hojlund's position will force him to have to work harder to maintain his spot. If he can't deal with competition and isn't able to raise his game, then is he actually good enough for a Premier League club that is trying to redevelop themselves into title contenders anyway?
If Hojlund raises his game and Osimhen turns out to not be useful after all, we move him on when the time is right.

Odd way to end the post when you’ve already mentioned us sharing our eggs between Højlund & Zirkzee.

For what it’s worth, we aren’t bringing in a player on 300 k /week to give “competition for places”.

Yes but not a large amount. They usually have a good amount of experience, in this case a lot, and they are physically fully developed. New trainers with a new team can help, but he won't improve much. He will start to physically decline in around 2 years most likely.
You didnt watch Drobga enough
Ruud came to United I think at 24
Lewandowski improved alot post 25 as well

Thats just off the top of my head

As for Osimhen hes only really spent the last 3 seasons at a topish club. I think he has quite a bit of development to go in my opinuon.

Maybe you should read back through the thread because it doesn't seem as if you've at all grasped why I posted the reply I did in the first place, but rather jumped in to make some odd, barely relevant point.

If you want to try to convince somebody that Jackson is a better player than Osimhen, I suggest you try someone else. Perhaps a Chelsea fan dismissive of all football outside the Premier League who hasn't watched either player?

Good luck on the hunt.
You replied to a post that asked why Chelsea were in for him. My point is that they don't need him because they have a better fit in Jackson who align perfectly with Palmer, Madueke and the others, because he is without a doubt a better pure footballer than Osimhen who relies on service and doesn't set up chances himself. Not every team needs a poacher or a focal point, not sure why you believe that. City scored just as many goals without Haaland.

Ah yes, the old "your opinion is different than me so you don't watch football outside of England". Classic. If you're judging footballers purely based on their goals scored, then Haaland is much better than R9 and Immobile is better than Agüero. Yeah, I don't think so. Chelsea have no need for Osimhen when they already have Jackson who is a better fit for their team. It's funny you mention him as a goal scorer and someone clinical when Osimhen misses more than Jackson, and Jackson also converts more shots on target than Osimhen. The reason people don't mention that is because they don't know how much he misses, because they don't watch him.

You replied to a post that asked why Chelsea were in for him. My point is that they don't need him because they have a better fit in Jackson who align perfectly with Palmer, Madueke and the others, because he is without a doubt a better pure footballer than Osimhen who relies on service and doesn't set up chances himself. Not every team needs a poacher or a focal point, not sure why you believe that. City scored just as many goals without Haaland.

Ah yes, the old "your opinion is different than me so you don't watch football outside of England". Classic. If you're judging footballers purely based on their goals scored, then Haaland is much better than R9 and Immobile is better than Agüero. Yeah, I don't think so. Chelsea have no need for Osimhen when they already have Jackson who is a better fit for their team. It's funny you mention him as a goal scorer and someone clinical when Osimhen misses more than Jackson, and Jackson also converts more shots on target than Osimhen. The reason people don't mention that is because they don't know how much he misses, because they don't watch him.
Good for you. There's a rather important match on at the minute so I won't be arguing with you further.

Not that I'd consider your points if there wasn't, since your misrepresentation of mine doesn't warrant any courtesy. Goodbye.

Can't see this ever being a realistic option, jeez apparently he is going to Galatasaray on loan

Galatasaray :lol: probably his level to be fair. Not convinced by him at all

Shame to see the Chelsea move break down. If only to have missed the inevitable “I’m sorry, Nic Jackson. I am Boehly!” content.