Victor Osimhen | out of options | goes to Gala on loan

Can we try to Weghorst this and bring him in on loan in January?

So let me get this right, he turned down multiple proposals from Chelsea because the money on offer wasn’t as good as the Saudi money, only to not even go to Saudi and end up on loan at Gala in the Turkish league?

What a monumentally incredible way to torpedo your own career. And all for a guy that was being linked with £100 million moves to all of Europe’s elite within the last 12 months.

So let me get this right, he turned down multiple proposals from Chelsea because the money on offer wasn’t as good as the Saudi money, only to not even go to Saudi and end up on loan at Gala in the Turkish league?

What a monumentally incredible way to torpedo your own career. And all for a guy that was being linked with £100 million moves to all of Europe’s elite within the last 12 months.
He did not request Saudi’s money from Chelsea. He wanted Chelsea to at least match his current salary at Napoli which is €220k/week. Chelsea maximum salary offer on the final day was €155k/week. If he was just about the money he would have gone to Saudi.

Agent has been, unsurprisingly, relieved of his duties as an employed person.

He did not request Saudi’s money from Chelsea. He wanted Chelsea to at least match his current salary at Napoli which is €220k/week. Chelsea maximum salary offer on the final day was €155k/week. If he was just about the money he would have gone to Saudi.
That is not true. The amount we offered, anyway. Now, very possible if he wanted an obligation (with no stipulations) on the loan to purchase that the “base” portion of the salary offered was 150 ish. We released a brief that we offered him 7 different package scenarios in total. Two weeks before deadline day we heard how his agent, Callenda, considered the higher guaranteed yearly offer (less incentive based) a non starter because the obligation to buy was conditional on qualifying for CL. Their team wanted assurances they were leaving Napoli no matter what.

Anyway, all Chelsea players are on incentive based contracts. Most of the incentives are not difficult to reach. It’s not like you have to reach the Balon D’or to get the last 30% of your contract. And yes, there stipulations for alternative extra compensation if a player is injured.

I think the explanation of Di Marzio’s numbers being “net” (which Osimhen agent was obsessed with) is most likely. Our most reputable journos assured that the offers on the table would have made Osimhen the highest earner at the club. For comparison, Enzo makes 180k per week BEFORE bonuses. What Di Marzio reported would have come to a gross of ~325/wk with all bonuses hit. Which is the right area to have been ONE of the offered structures.

Again, I think there being stipulations on the obligation to buy at the end of the loan was a bigger sticking point than the monetary amount itself.

Osimhen wasnt solely obsessed with money. He didn’t particularly want to go to Saudi and understood it would be a blow to his footballing legacy. Now he’s had to endure the marketability hit and humiliation of having to play on loan in Turkey. And he has rightfully fired his agent.

Its quite funny that for all these years we used to complain about not getting our business done early. Yet if we had waited there was a chance to get him or Toney for a similar fee to what we paid Zirkzee. This club is cursed

Its quite funny that for all these years we used to complain about not getting our business done early. Yet if we had waited there was a chance to get him or Toney for a similar fee to what we paid Zirkzee. This club is cursed
So maybe the club didn't want either of those two, I mean look where they have ended up...

Can we try to Weghorst this and bring him in on loan in January?

With the release clause down to £63 million, and him having an additional clause to be able to leave in January if the right club comes in I think any offer would have to be permanent.

Gala? Seriously? Fecking Gala? No one thought to loan him to a Premier League club? Whomever was advising him fecked up.

Sad how this played out.

We need goals ASAP & there simply aren't many strikers on the market. Sesko & Ferguson will likely cost more than this guy too.

With the release clause now defined & at a decent price, got to believe INEOS will bid in Jan surely.

Very strange transfer saga. I do wonder if his injury record has put some of the bigger teams off. With the money being touted for him, is he worth the risk if he misses around 10-13 games per season? Mostly hamstring and muscular problems which, is a sick note waiting to happen for a pacey, explosive player like him.

So every other top club in the world must also be cursed and stupid to miss out on both of them right??
What kind of argument is this? The facts are well known and easy to process:

1. Clubs like PSG, Arsenal, and, very obviously, Chelsea were interested in Osimhen but were put off either by the asking price, the player's wage demands, or both. Turkey's transfer window closes after the major European ones, allowing for an emergency loan exit.

2. Toney is not a player top clubs would consider unmissable. He also decided to move for big money, which is a viable alternative to playing for a top club when you're a good but not great player with age and time on your side.

What kind of argument is this? The facts are well known and easy to process:

1. Clubs like PSG, Arsenal, and, very obviously, Chelsea were interested in Osimhen but were put off either by the asking price, the player's wage demands, or both. Turkey's transfer window closes after the major European ones, allowing for an emergency loan exit.

2. Toney is not a player top clubs would consider unmissable. He also decided to move for big money, which is a viable alternative to playing for a top club when you're a good but not great player with age and time on your side.
If big clubs wanted Osimhen, and he wanted to go then he would have. Instead he's wound up in Turkey on the same wages as he was on, call it poor negotiations or possibly the big clubs didn't actually want him that much, an injury prone striker with one stand out season.....

As for Toney, that just re-enforces my point I was making, he's not a top player whom big clubs would be after for the money being asked.

With how he has handled his own career I would doubt any sensible big club would touch him now.

With how he has handled his own career I would doubt any sensible big club would touch him now.

What has he done wrong? His relationship with Napoli broke down due to Napoli's tiktok antics, no? I think he was justified in wanting to leave them after that

If big clubs wanted Osimhen, and he wanted to go then he would have. Instead he's wound up in Turkey on the same wages as he was on, call it poor negotiations or possibly the big clubs didn't actually want him that much, an injury prone striker with one stand out season.....

As for Toney, that just re-enforces my point I was making, he's not a top player whom big clubs would be after for the money being asked.

If what you said was that no big clubs wanted either player enough to meet all the conditions necessary to get them, then sure. But that wasn't what you said. You rather suggested that both have ended up where they are because they aren't good enough for better, which is silly.

If what you said was that no big clubs wanted either player enough to meet all the conditions necessary to get them, then sure. But that wasn't what you said. You rather suggested that both have ended up where they are because they aren't good enough for better, which is silly.
Well yeah, if say Chelsea really wanted Osimhen then they would have got him without question, and if Osimhen really wanted to go to one of these clubs he would have lowered his demands for sure.
But also, it proves that the bigger clubs weren't that interested in either, perhaps for the reasons that they aren't elite players and so shouldn't command elite prices, hence they maybe aren't quite good enough to take that next step, hence the reason they are where they are.

What has he done wrong? His relationship with Napoli broke down due to Napoli's tiktok antics, no? I think he was justified in wanting to leave them after that
He has shown bad decision making one way or another to end up at Galatasaray on loan.

Gala? Seriously? Fecking Gala? No one thought to loan him to a Premier League club? Whomever was advising him fecked up.

I feel a loan to literally any Premier league club even with a pay cut would have been better for his long term career.

Looking at the bright side, Galatasaray has had a pretty glamorous (though hard) draw in EL. Spurs, Ajax, PAOK, AZ, Dynamo, Malmö and two others... If he's on fire and score a handful it will get some visibility.

He has shown bad decision making one way or another to end up at Galatasaray on loan.

You said big clubs won’t touch him because of the way he has handled his career - I asked you what has he done wrong - please specify.

Again, Napoli was the catalyst for the breakdown in their relationship. He’s ended up at Gala because the transfer window was closed pretty much everywhere else. What in any of this is the bad decision making that will make big clubs steer clear?

Well yeah, if say Chelsea really wanted Osimhen then they would have got him without question, and if Osimhen really wanted to go to one of these clubs he would have lowered his demands for sure.
But also, it proves that the bigger clubs weren't that interested in either, perhaps for the reasons that they aren't elite players and so shouldn't command elite prices, hence they maybe aren't quite good enough to take that next step, hence the reason they are where they are.
This argument makes several leaps of logic.

1. Not being worth a certain amount does not mean not being good enough for a certain level. It simply means being over-priced. And that's if moving from Napoli to Chelsea can be considered a "next step" in the first place. Osimhen was priced by Napoli at best-in-class levels. He may not be that good, but concluding, solely based on this, that he's therefore not good enough for a best-in-class team is quite the leap of logic.

2. Even if they truly aren't good enough to move on to the "next step," they're both obviously good enough to make sideways steps or even, at worst, take a moderate step down. So, not being good enough for the next step can't possibly be the reason why they're moving several levels lower. That could only be the case if they've struggled at their current levels. They haven't.

To understand why each player has done this, it would have to be assessed in context.

a. In Osimhen's case, it was a last resort designed to solve a specific problem that arose out of artificial factors: being over-priced and being stubborn.
b. In Toney's case, he preferred the money. These are two vastly different situations that you're conflating to arrive at a conclusion that doesn't even make sense to either case individually.

It's that simple.

You said big clubs won’t touch him because of the way he has handled his career - I asked you what has he done wrong - please specify.

Again, Napoli was the catalyst for the breakdown in their relationship. He’s ended up at Gala because the transfer window was closed pretty much everywhere else. What in any of this is the bad decision making that will make big clubs steer clear?
His main mistake is likely who he has hired to help him manage his career. Which shows bad judgement. I don't think top clubs will be in a rush to invest over 100 million pounds to bring in someone who has shown such judgement at this stage of his career.

His main mistake is likely who he has hired to help him manage his career. Which shows bad judgement. I don't think top clubs will be in a rush to invest over 100 million pounds to bring in someone who has shown such judgement at this stage of his career.

This is complete waffle.

Big clubs work with "difficult" agents all the time for players. Clubs won't pass up on a prolific striker because "he has shown bad judgement on hiring his agent" - what? This has never been a thing. Besides, he has released his (now previous) agent of their duties, immediately after the Galatasaray move.

Clubs won't be in a rush to spend over 100 million because it is a lot of money. Because it's debatable if Osimhen is even worth that to start with (I don't think he is). Because transfers at that price range have a very low hit/success rate. Not because "he's shown bad judgement with his agent".

The situation with Osimhen is an outlier because Napoli scored an own goal that precipitated the breakdown in their relationship with the player. He'll be in Turkey for a while, and provided no major injuries and he continues his goalscoring record, he'll eventually get a move to big club - likely at a more realistic price range than the nonsense Napoli was asking to start with.

Nobody can really predict the exact range of fees from window to window. Might depend on the overall market and if prices flare up. Depends which clubs are in (PSG are not afraid to go sticker price fast if they want) too.
100m+ is at the very top end of transfers but reportedly they were offered that less than a year ago. I'd say it's unlikely it ever comes back around to those levels for him (irrespective of his talent). If he is on fire at Gala and there's a couple of big clubs that need a proven striker I don't think it's far fetched someone would bid 70-80m (euros). Doubt it would go lower than 60m even if SSCN is desperate to get rid.

He needs to hit 30+ goals and reduce his wage demands and the big clubs will be back in for him

This is complete waffle.

Big clubs work with "difficult" agents all the time for players. Clubs won't pass up on a prolific striker because "he has shown bad judgement on hiring his agent" - what? This has never been a thing. Besides, he has released his (now previous) agent of their duties, immediately after the Galatasaray move.

Clubs won't be in a rush to spend over 100 million because it is a lot of money. Because it's debatable if Osimhen is even worth that to start with (I don't think he is). Because transfers at that price range have a very low hit/success rate. Not because "he's shown bad judgement with his agent".

The situation with Osimhen is an outlier because Napoli scored an own goal that precipitated the breakdown in their relationship with the player. He'll be in Turkey for a while, and provided no major injuries and he continues his goalscoring record, he'll eventually get a move to big club - likely at a more realistic price range than the nonsense Napoli was asking to start with.
I think well run clubs who are at the top of the tree will weigh up the full picture when buying a player, especially one that will require an investment of over 100 million pounds to obtain. Part of that full picture will be made up by how the player operates outside of the pitch. I don't think well run big clubs will deem him to be worth the risk now, partly because of how he has managed his career. I didn't think that would be a controversial thing to put out there, or complete waffle, but you are welcome to your view on that I suppose.

Nobody can really predict the exact range of fees from window to window. Might depend on the overall market and if prices flare up. Depends which clubs are in (PSG are not afraid to go sticker price fast if they want) too.
100m+ is at the very top end of transfers but reportedly they were offered that less than a year ago. I'd say it's unlikely it ever comes back around to those levels for him (irrespective of his talent). If he is on fire at Gala and there's a couple of big clubs that need a proven striker I don't think it's far fetched someone would bid 70-80m (euros). Doubt it would go lower than 60m even if SSCN is desperate to get rid.

He reportedly now has a release clause of €75m for foreign clubs.

I realise it's a different market now, but if he stays fit that's a bargain price for Osimhen relative to what players like Muani, Nunez, Vlahovic, Hojlund and Ramos went for in recent seasons.

I dunno. Playing in Turkey for 3 months would be a great period of your career. I’d do it. Zero cost to him.

He's got his release clause down to 75 million euros. Which is quite reasonable for a top striker. Expect the clause to be activated next summer if not earlier.