Victor Osimhen | out of options | goes to Gala on loan

£8m including(!) bonuses is less than what people on Bayern’s bench make. I completely understand how that offer (if true) can be labeled as insulting.

If you're going by Di Marzio's reports on the salary offer, that was net yearly wages which is how Italians always report them. For a pre-tax figure you'd have to almost double the reported number. That would put the offer somewhere in the £300K/wk region bonuses included. Surely Bayern's bench do not earn that much?

Greedy ha. Good luck with Jackson and good luck finding a top striker for 90k a week

Said it before on this forum but will repeat it again. Jackson is seriously underrated here.

If you're going by Di Marzio's reports on the salary offer, that was net yearly wages which is how Italians always report them. For a pre-tax figure you'd have to almost double the reported number. That would put the offer somewhere in the £300K/wk region bonuses included. Surely Bayern's bench do not earn that much?
Since Goretzka and Coman are on the bench…

I read the €4m+4m offer as gross, not net. If it was net, it is obviously twice as good. However, according to ChatGPT, the base salary would still only be £120k pw!

No sympathy for him or Napoli in this one. Thankfully McTominay moving wasnt dependent on this deal.

Does he have grounds to terminate his contract?
As long as Napoli respect the contract, don't think so. He's also got "only" two years of contract so unlikely he could push the issue legally

I think you're missing a key fact that Jackson played 35 matches and Oshimen only 25.

In terms of shot conversion, I suppose Oshimen takes a lot more shots in general because his goals were on pace with his xG while Jackson far underperformed his (18.5 xG for his 14 goals).

Your offer was a joke mate and he didn’t want to play for Chelsea in the first place.
You’re not going to sign one of the top rated strikers in football on 90k a week plus bonuses

That simply isn't true.

Napoli and Di Marzio are busy trying to spin this, so I have serious difficulty believing their numbers, but if they were “net” numbers that sounds more likely. All we had been hearing is that Chelsea was willing to go into the 300’s/wk but only with incentives.

There is NO way they offered Osimhen less than Caicedo’s base pay in base plus incentives.

Remember, the final offer Osimhen team didn’t respond back to was like the third or fourth. So was their first offer 100k/wk after all bonuses? Thats ludicrous and flatly doesn’t make sense.

Now, if you take taxes into consideration, the 4 plus 4 reported comes to a gross of around the 320’s? Which is exactly where everyone thought we were. But the final offer wasn’t reported back on, so was likely higher than that. 350’s after bonuses?

We weren’t going to pay Saudi league money. And Napoli are at fault for giving him the contract he is on with them. THEY can’t afford to pay it, and they set an unrealistic bar to get him to sign on to a ridiculous buyout clause.

Damn not even being registered? If he doesn’t move to Saudi he can’t play for the next 4 months. What happened to him? 2 years ago when Napoli won the league his asking price was like €120m.

Your offer was a joke mate and he didn’t want to play for Chelsea in the first place.
You’re not going to sign one of the top rated strikers in football on 90k a week plus bonuses
He absolutely did want to play for Chelsea. In order to make a formal bid to Napoli Chelsea had two conditions: that they were close enough on personal terms that an agreement seemed feasible, and the player wanted to come to Chelsea and be part of the project.

Romano and others verified that it was Chelsea or Saudi, nothing else, even when teams like Arsenal started sniffing around again.

There are reports we offered 90k/wk including bonuses? There are also reports he would only take 500k/wk “net”. There were very good reports that whatever we were offering, it would making him the highest compensated player at Chelsea.

Use your brain. You think Chelsea spent a lot of last year and all this Summer targeting an elite name striker and their final offer, including bonuses, was 10k less per week than Malang Sarr (who didn’t even train with the first team) was making as a base?

Chelsea’s contracts under our new structure are complicated, and do have incentives built into them: but Osimhen and his people have known that for months. The incentives are designed to reward basic production. It isn’t like you have to win the Balon D’or to achieve them.

My guess is the loan plus obligation, which Callenda in particular found offensive, played a heavy part. The likelihood is no Saudi team is coming in for him. Osimhen needs new representation, and he’s going to have to rebuild starting in January.

Napoli probably destroyed about €70m when you compare the current situation to the one during last summer.

A year (Or was it two?) ago he was one of the most desirable strikers in world football, and now he's been exiled from the squad. Crazy how these things go sometimes

Napoli probably destroyed about €70m when you compare the current situation to the one during last summer.

Yeah especially when they were fully aware of his injury issues. Should have taken the money and ran.

He's dynamite when he plays but not reliable fitness wise and also not exactly the profile of striker that suits all clubs.

100m for a Serie Club is huge.

Why is he exiled though? He's still a top player, and if you're paying him might as well have on the bench.

I find it hard to believe that Osimhen as a Nigerian would rather go to PSG than Chelsea. Chelsea and United are two of the most supported clubs in Nigeria, are they not @Cassidy? My impression is that these two are dream clubs for a lot of them, and don't think they have any affiliation with PSG or Ligue 1 clubs in general.

As for the wage part, I don't understand why he demands so much. I know that's what he makes - or rather that's what Chelsea have to pay for him to earn as much due to taxes, but why could he not reduce his wages? He isn't a player that should earn £300k, so no sympathy from me when he would rather sit and rot and not even train with the team instead of lowering his demanda and play for Chelsea in Premier League.

It isn’t, he wanted to go to PSG
He did want to go to PSG. He said yes to their terms. Should be noted we had not even discussed terms or agreed to pursue him at that point. And even then a string contingent of his countrymen were pressing him to wait and watch for Chelsea.

Wanting PSG is not the same as NOT wanting Chelsea. You are conflating two things incorrectly

I think Osimhen’s injury record might have been the thing that put some bigger clubs off him this summer, Arsenal especially as they already have G.Jesus with fitness issues.

I remember after the Scudetto season, Ogden mentioned on ESPN FC that while there was interest from a lot of top clubs, they wanted to observe him for an additional season to see his progress, especially concerning injuries.

His numbers are very very solid, but he’s only had one season where he’s made more than 30 appearances in the league (Scudetto season, and even then he had an injury).

Problem, too, is his injuries all seem random. It’s not like Reece James with his recurrent hamstring injuries, Osimhen gets injured all over.

I find it weird that a section of posters here have so much bile towards Osimhen. For someone we've never seriously tried to sign and who's never played for a rival either...why do you have such strong feelings? :D

I find it very strange as well. The way people are speaking, you’d think Osimhen shagged their wife/GF.

I find it hard to believe that Osimhen as a Nigerian would rather go to PSG than Chelsea. Chelsea and United are two of the most supported clubs in Nigeria, are they not
100%. United, Arsenal and Chelsea are heavily supported in Nigeria.

Chelsea, in particular, have a strong West African following owing to the likes of Drogba, Essien, Mikel, Kalou, Moses etc that all played for the club.

He did want to go to PSG. He said yes to their terms. Should be noted we had not even discussed terms or agreed to pursue him at that point. And even then a string contingent of his countrymen were pressing him to wait and watch for Chelsea.

Wanting PSG is not the same as NOT wanting Chelsea. You are conflating two things incorrectly
It was widely reported throughout summer here in Italy - by pretty much every journalist who reported on his situation - that he really wasn't keen on Chelsea. He really, really wanted PSG. That only changed in the last week when Chelsea were the only european club actually trying to sign him....

Why were Chelsea trying to sign Osimhen in this case? Surely it makes no sense. Let Jackson get minutes and grow.
Because those stats are heavily cherry picked. Jackson was on a goal roughly every 200 minutes in Chelsea's last league campaign while Osimhen (in a season in which he struggled) was scoring one about every 130. At his peak he's more or less a goal a game striker.

Osimhen is just very, very easy to create chances for.

However, the better answer to your question is probably that Osimhen is a football player and Chelsea have shown that they will bid for any of those come what may.

Why were Chelsea trying to sign Osimhen in this case? Surely it makes no sense. Let Jackson get minutes and grow.
All you had to is watch the Wolves game for the answer. Jackso, in metrics, is better at a lot of things than Osimhen on paper.. That hard work puts him in a LOT of good positions, and also helps start actions and create assists. Fantastic in press and defense as well. A lot of Chelsea fans DO want to give him the primary chance and worried about his minutes.

But then you see a one on one breakaway versus the goalie…. He allows the defender to ride up behind him, gets his feet tangled, and doesn’t get a shot. Stuff like that happens a lot. This is only his 3rd (?) year as a striker instead of a LW?

Many teams over perform their xG. If we had just performed near our xG we would have finished at least 3rd last year. So while we like Jackson … we just want those chances buried. Osimhen is a killer in the box.

Damn not even being registered? If he doesn’t move to Saudi he can’t play for the next 4 months. What happened to him? 2 years ago when Napoli won the league his asking price was like €120m.

That’s Aurelio de Laurentiis for you. I have never ever seen anyone by far so greedy to the point they sabotage themselves like this as this man. He has lost millions and millions because of this addictive habit of his trying to squeeze out more and more for his players and he always pays for it. He has been doing this forever since Marek Hamsik even before that. Lost millions when clubs were willing to pay absurd money for him at his peak. Lost out with Lavezzi but still got abit lucky since qatar was trying to build up psg. Lost out on tons of money with Koulibaly at his peak. And now lost out on millions for Osimhen. The greedy bastard just doesn’t know when to cash out.

The only time it worked for him when he sold Higuain to Juve for close to €100m. Other than that it has cost him a fortune everytime because he just doesn’t know when to pull out or his greed doesn’t allow him to. He even acknowledged himself i think that he should know better when to sell rather than trying to get more money or words to that effect in an interview.

Because those stats are heavily cherry picked. Jackson was on a goal roughly every 200 minutes in Chelsea's last league campaign while Osimhen (in a season in which he struggled) was scoring one about every 130. At his peak he's more or less a goal a game striker.

Osimhen is just very, very easy to create chances for.

However, the better answer to your question is probably that Osimhen is a football player and Chelsea have shown that they will bid for any of those come what may.
Nicolas Jackson also play in Premier League while Osimhen plays against the likes of Salernitana, Monza, Lecce and Empoli. This is a major context, one of huge importance because we've seen fairly mediocre strikers score a ton of goals in Serie A.
Belotti with his 26 goals for Torino, a 36 year old Giroud scoring the same amount of goals as Osimhen in not so much more minutes, Higuain scored 36 goals in 15/16, Dzeko (I don't think he is mediocre, he is pretty good) 29 goals in 16/17, Icardi and Immobile with 29 goals each in 17/18, Quagliarella with 26 goals and Zapata with 23 in 18/19, Immobile with 36 goals in 19/20 and the list goes on.

These strikers scored more than Osimhen, but none have been talked about as elite strikers. The reason is because at that time there were actual elite strikers around and so we didn't have to pretend that decent strikers are world class.

As for your comment on Osimhen being easy to create chances for, it is the exact opposite. It is easy to create chances for Nicolas Jackson, while Osimhen is only a poacher and so you need perfect delivery for him to be able to do something. He is more invisible than Haaland a lot of games, and we all know how Haaland can look like if he doesn't get service. Even Spalletti (who he won Serie A with) said he needs to do much better in terms of build up, link up and working together with his team mates.

Osimhen is far from a goal a game striker, and even if he was, he has only shown it in Serie A where Immobile and Lukaku shine. He doesn't perform in CL so there's that too.

Nicolas Jackson also play in Premier League while Osimhen plays against the likes of Salernitana, Monza, Lecce and Empoli. This is a major context, one of huge importance because we've seen fairly mediocre strikers score a ton of goals in Serie A.
Belotti with his 26 goals for Torino, a 36 year old Giroud scoring the same amount of goals as Osimhen in not so much more minutes, Higuain scored 36 goals in 15/16, Dzeko (I don't think he is mediocre, he is pretty good) 29 goals in 16/17, Icardi and Immobile with 29 goals each in 17/18, Quagliarella with 26 goals and Zapata with 23 in 18/19, Immobile with 36 goals in 19/20 and the list goes on.

These strikers scored more than Osimhen, but none have been talked about as elite strikers. The reason is because at that time there were actual elite strikers around and so we didn't have to pretend that decent strikers are world class.

As for your comment on Osimhen being easy to create chances for, it is the exact opposite. It is easy to create chances for Nicolas Jackson, while Osimhen is only a poacher and so you need perfect delivery for him to be able to do something. He is more invisible than Haaland a lot of games, and we all know how Haaland can look like if he doesn't get service. Even Spalletti (who he won Serie A with) said he needs to do much better in terms of build up, link up and working together with his team mates.

Osimhen is far from a goal a game striker, and even if he was, he has only shown it in Serie A where Immobile and Lukaku shine. He doesn't perform in CL so there's that too.
Spalleti said this in his first season. Kinda lazy to regurgitate this years on, after he's clearly developed.

If the money is right he would.

Loans for high profile players are part of modern football now. Mbappe was on loan to Madrid at first, it's not a disrespect to the player, it's how the system works.
Mbappé was on loan to Madrid ?