Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2024/25

We really seem to be missing a tempo controller of the type of Carrick/ Busquets/ Rodri

The perfect DM candidate should also be really good at positioning himself as well, that’s generally a rare find.

My concern with Ugarte is the same what happened last season with Mainoo. He would rather fit the no. 8 role that Fred used to play to disrupt opposition build up.

From what Cryuff and pep have said, no. 6 is the most important position for playing possession football, and Ugarte is probably not the right fit. Neves/ Zubimendi would have better chance to fit there.

Wharton from Palace fits that description to a degree. Plays passes to break the lines and with him and Mainoo that's a decent midfield by way of profile to move the ball into forward areas.

Zubimendi would also be an excellent choice but would likely be a decision between him and Ugarte. Don't know much of Ugarte myself aside the hype he had before joining PSG, but seen Zubimendi numerous times he's a player who like Rodri would thrive with the exposure of playing for a more competitive team.

Not as sure about Ugarte. There are parts of his game I like but I have some concerns about his positioning and discipline. Runs and tackles nonstop but I do wonder if it might lead to our defence being left exposed sometimes. Still pretty young so could perhaps improve that part of his game. I preferred Neves' profile tbh but looks like he's off to PSG

I am thrilled about this possible signing due to exactly this.

I trust our scouting with ineos, if they go for Ugarte I am happy with it. To be honest yoro was not on my radar until the first Stories of him and real broke. I only think we need another lb- otherwise we are fine

we should be looking for one though so we can be tactically flexible. If I’m attempting to build the perfect squad there’s definitely a few playmakers in there. There has to be
In an ideal world, yes we would do that. Given the amount of new players we need though, we can't do everything all at once, so we have to prioritise, and a Casemiro replacement seems to be a higher priority than a playmaker. Given that Mainoo and Bruno will be the other two first choices in midfield, we need a more physical defensive midfielder in there to complement them.

Tier 2:

No decision's been taken on Fish's future yet, and there's a chance that he can join United's first team in the U.S. tour.

Wharton is the midfielder we should be after, he's the type of player we've been missing out on with our ridiculous transfer policies.

For his self respect haha? According to who? You? I think someone grossly over estimates what their opinion is worth.

I imagine his self respect is pretty locked in, the opinions NPCs on a forum who have never done anything in football likely wouldn't register to him as anything worth consideration.

He'll also continue to be well respected within football, even if he were to stay at United another couple of years and be awful.
He got a lot of disrespect last season because he simply was awful.

I’d love to be proved wrong by him this season, but I’m afraid his legs are gone and he ain’t technical enough to make up for it.

With all the no DM chat, although Ugarte obviously heavily linked, I feel like we’re expecting Collyer to breakthrough this season. ETH seems to like him. Young obviously so who really knows, but wouldn’t be surprised to see him getting minutes.

Tier 2:

No decision's been taken on Fish's future yet, and there's a chance that he can join United's first team in the U.S. tour.

Really like the cut of his defensive jib. Calm, strong and tends to stay on his feet. Not to forget he’s built like a brick shithouse. I’d keep him.

We have almost 2 players in - and everyone knew this could be a tough window due to FFP. With Greenwood, Kambwala and Alvara out - that is close to £35 million in pure profit - that alone should make it possible to get 1-2 players more in - so I am not too worried.

We are off to a good start.
Tough? Its our easiest FFP transfer window in years because that previous loss has fallen out of the three year cycle.

Add that to what you mentioned it isn't surprising we are cracking on.

Which is not really a surprise, considering he will cost something between 80 and 100m. We wont be spending that amount this summer on one player, 40-50m seems our sweet spot currently.
If the money is there and they are willing to spend it, I don't understand why we don't just buy the players we want and take the fine and points deduction for breaking FFP rules. It's not like we are going to win the league anyway.

A really great job with that Greenwood-deal by the club, all things considered. Good riddance.

A bit torn on the Greenwood exit.

Part of me is glad its over, hes off our hands and we wont be tarnished anymore but I also wonder how good he could have been here. I havn't been so excited about a young player at United as much as him in years.

EIther way its done now, thankfully.

Sad it ended like this. Given the situation the fee is fine but I feel Marseille have got a real bargain and MG will smash it in France

Shame it had to end like this. But we've negotiated as good a deal as we could have in the difficult circumstances we were in.

Hopefully he'll impress at Marseille and get a big move elsewhere so that we can further benefit from the sell on fee. Though the flip side of that is it'll be frustrating seeing other teams benefit on the pitch if he does develop into the top level player that was expected a couple of years ago.

No European football for him next season. His career is going down the pan IMO.

Sweet! That was one player who absolutely had to go and we did well to sell him for that fee and sell on clause.

With all the no DM chat, although Ugarte obviously heavily linked, I feel like we’re expecting Collyer to breakthrough this season. ETH seems to like him.
But it’s what it should be: we will only have 2 good midfielders (Mainoo and Ugarte) - Collyer will be in a position to play a lot.