Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2024/25

He's a bench player who's value will only decrease with the years. I think 25m is a reasonable price for him to be honest. He doesn't really fit in with the direction this team wants to go. How many great games has he played in those 4-5 seasons? He has bailed us out with some wonderful goals, but other than scoring goals he hasn't provided much. I'm a McTominay fan for his personality but not his abilities as a midfielder. Yes Fulham sold Palhina for 47m but he is also twice the player McT is.

Well first of all - he is not twice the player - and second Palhinha just turned 29 - McTominay is 27 - I am not saying McTominay should cost as much as Palhinha, but certainly more than about half

Why do you think we should sell a Scottish international who has played more or less regularly at United for 4-5 seasons for £25 million ? We would struggle to find a better player for £25 million

If he was that good he’d be wanted by more than Fulham.

He’s the level we need to leave behind he’s a mid table player

He's a bench player who's value will only decrease with the years. I think 25m is a reasonable price for him to be honest. He doesn't really fit in with the direction this team wants to go. How many great games has he played in those 4-5 seasons? He has bailed us out with some wonderful goals, but other than scoring goals he hasn't provided much. I'm a McTominay fan for his personality but not his abilities as a midfielder. Yes Fulham sold Palhina for 47m but he is also twice the player McT is.
I like him as a player - good personality and always provides 100% effort. The goals are obviously great. But, we need players in midfield who can retain possession in tight spaces and execute progressive passes that unlock defenses and set up our forwards for potential goals. IMO we’ve really lacked that in midfield the past several years and it has cost us. That really isn’t McTominays game. He’s much more of a finisher than a facilitator. It even seemed like ETH recognized this and a few times towards the latter part of the season he would bring him on to play in a more advanced role. He does have some good qualities and I think he’d do well on a team like Fulham.

Reactions: Cheimoon
Well first of all - he is not twice the player - and second Palhinha just turned 29 - McTominay is 27 - I am not saying McTominay should cost as much as Palhinha, but certainly more than about half

He is.

And would you rather keep McT because nobody wanted to pay an extra 5 or do you prefer taking that money and going for a midfielder who can either be a real DM or progress the ball, two things McT isn't great at. Last year was our best bet to sell, we decided to keep, no one will give us that same figure that West Ham (and possibly Newcastle) where prepared to pay.

If Fulham think they're getting a Palhinha replacement, they'll be disappointed. :) Anyway, I no longer think we should sell him. Or start him. Good man to have on the bench. Unless the money is too good to refuse of course. 30m seems well calibrated on that basis.

McTominay is a 25m player at least, try again Fulham. I would keep him anyway, we need a big squad.

What’s the duration left on his contract? I’d be asking for a bit more to be honest, he’s limited but very good at what he does do.

1 year. No extension option.
Yeah, I think that's the problem.

When you see the likes of West Ham paying £40m for a 27 year old CB off Wolves whose never made an international appearance (Kilman), you do wonder how other teams get such good fees for pretty solid / average PL players.

But obviously the contract issue is effecting us with the likes of McTominay, Wan Bissaka, VDB. We're selling players that don't have long time left on their contracts so that's reducing the fees we can demand.

£15m and £17m bids for the likes of Wan Bissaka and McTominay are pretty low, and would be very good signings for those clubs at those fees. But we're probably looking to sell those types of players, and they don't have long contracts, so the fees are going to be lower than they would be if we were looking to buy solid PL players of that level from those clubs where they were key players for them.

£15m for AWB in his last year is decent enough. We definitely need to be asking more than £17m for a goalscoring midfielder like McTominay. But I can still see us accepting below market value for him, £25m or so, in order to help fund the addition of players we need more.

Why do you think we should sell a Scottish international who has played more or less regularly at United for 4-5 seasons for £25 million ? We would struggle to find a better player for £25 million
Completely agree. I read the other day that City were about to get £15MM + £5MM for Delap. Why would we sell McT for £25MM?

Leny decided last night he wants the move and today he’s already in Manchester for the medical? I like him already and his enthusiasm, and giving Real the middle finger

This is my view on it. I can't see why we would sign two right footed CB's instead of addressing the fact we only have one left footed CB. It is EtH's preferred choice at left CB to have a left footed player and it obviously caused us problems last season. Signing Branthwaite and Yoro would make perfect sense balance wise with Maguire and Martinez, keeping Lindelof as an all round back up.

Lindelof will be sold,maybe we will go for Guehi if Everton keep demanding £70m for Branthwaite

Lindelof will be sold,maybe we will go for Guehi if Everton keep demanding £70m for Branthwaite

I think Guehi is a good, solid defender - but I just don't see a very high ceiling for him. He is not exceptionally good in the air, not very fast, not very good on the ball. Just a good all-round defender.

I think Guehi is a good, solid defender - but I just don't see a very high ceiling for him. He is not exceptionally good in the air, not very fast, not very good on the ball. Just a good all-round defender.

Who would you target as second CB signing?

Yea, even based on the stats from fbref he's just solid. Certainly not good enough for the price CP are demanding. Branthwaite for example has been way better at actual defending stats but his passing stats are worse. That might be down to the playing styles of the respective teams but I can sort of see why we targeted Branthwaite. We are probably hoping that in a team looking to have more possession his passing ability can be demonstrated.

kV2wsse.png

Nobodies going for £30m or more, McTominay is far too established to go for 17, Westham offered £30m and it was rejected, the club probably values him at close to £40m
The 40m was last year though when we had 2+1 for his contract. This year it's 1+1.

I still can't wrap my head around that deal. I would have thought Arsenal, United and Liverpool at least would have been all over Luiz at that price. And then signing Onana as a replacement for more.

I think that's a downgrade and I wouldn't be happy at all if I was a Villa fan, selling your best CM for not that much after qualifying for the CL.
They had to sell him though. Luiz wasn't signing a new contract and Villa were up against PSR. They needed to get him out prior to June 30. Juventus offered the best terms, money and players.

15 for AWB - terrible offer
17 for McT - terrible offer

I’d be looking for 25-30 for either player. Both are international level players with years of PL experience and great fitness records. We will also need to sign another RB if AWB goes.

On that note, Who is the best young RB in the world these days?

I’d be looking for 25-30 for either player. Both are international level players with years of PL experience and great fitness records. We will also need to sign another RB if AWB goes.

Haha, what do you think? Yoro almost done so who's the next best thing? Don't know for sure, we go for an attacking player (Frimpong) or is defending the only quality he should have?

Maybe if we are switching to 3 at the back we will not need a RB if AWB sold, we have Dalot, and for all his faults going forward Antony is hard working and solid defensively

Branthwaite or De Ligt both are better players - I would probably prefer Branthwaite long term, but with us signing a young player like Yoro - it would make more sense to sign a leader like De Ligt. So De Ligt this summer - Branthwaite next summer

Branthwaite or De Ligt both are better players - I would probably prefer Branthwaite long term, but with us signing a young player like Yoro - it would make more sense to sign a leader like De Ligt. So De Ligt this summer - Branthwaite next summer
Would be my preference. I think we have wait and see on Branthwaite, we can play the long game with him if we think long term he's the guy. De Ligt has the character we need in defence and helps if we want someone to bed in quick that the manager knows him and has got the best out of him.

McT scored 10 goals last season, he can play pretty much anywhere (other than goal but who knows) although lets face it doesn't really stand out in any position, but still for a utility player, with a good injury record, capable of 10 goals a season, £17m is a joke

Haha, what do you think? Yoro almost done so who's the next best thing? Don't know for sure, we go for an attacking player (Frimpong) or is defending the only quality he should have?

Frimpong is a RW/RM really.

Looking at FM - Livramento (Newcastle), Kayode (Fiorentina), Missori (Sassulo) among others but in terms of what we can actually get I wonder if Carvajal would be attainable if they do get Trent

Looking at FM - Livramento (Newcastle), Kayode (Fiorentina), Missori (Sassulo) among others but in terms of what we can actually get I wonder if Carvajal would be attainable if they do get Trent
There's a Spanish guy too - Ivan Fresneda. Not sure how he got on this season honestly.

Lindelof has 1 year
AWB has 1 year
Maguire has 1+1 year
Varane+Willy already gone

You can fully understand and believe the rumours that United want to buy 2 CB this window.