Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2024/25

A DM now surely the priority. Very exciting signings and some quickly

I doubt we are signing another CB (after Yoro) before one existing CB leaves. We're up to 5 CBs in the first team alone, now. That's more than enough numerically. Especially if we consider that Shaw can also play CB.
Well, one of them is Evans who is here only as an emergency backup. Lindelfof is surely out of the door in any case too.

We've lost 2 CBs this summer already in Varane and Kambwala, so bringing in 2 should still be a priority

Evans is right footed, but can use left.

Yeah, so we were heavily out balanced and it obviously showed last year with Martinez out (plus Shaw who can cover). We would just be rebalancing in favour of how EtH likes to set up.

We would be going from:

Right: Varane, Maguire, Lindelof, and Kambwala
Both: Evans
Left: Martinez

TO:

Right: Maguire, Lindelof and Yoro
Left: Martinez and Branthwaite

Still six centre backs.
I think Branthwaite is dead in the water if Yoro goes through, I still see us pushing for De Ligt and Ugarte

Is it really such a big deal if we play with 2 right footed CBs? Our best ever cb duo were both right footed. And it's not like De Ligt is Arjen Robben, he's quite decent with both.

Well, one of them is Evans who is here only as an emergency backup. Lindelfof is surely out of the door in any case too.

We've lost 2 CBs this summer already in Varane and Kambwala, so bringing in 2 should still be a priority

We lost one first team CB. Kambwala was part of the u21s team and only played 8 games last season due to an extensive injury crisis. We've partly mitigated the risk of that happening again by letting the injury-prone Varane go and replacing him with a young, fit CB. In any case, another CB can step up from the u21s for a handful of games, the same way Kambwala did, in case we have a similarly horrendous crisis. But we don't need 6 first team CBs, that's absurd.

Evans is right footed, but can use left.

Yeah, so we were heavily out balanced and it obviously showed last year with Martinez out (plus Shaw who can cover). We would just be rebalancing in favour of how EtH likes to set up.

We would be going from:

Right: Varane, Maguire, Lindelof, and Kambwala
Left: Martinez

TO:

Right: Maguire, Lindelof and Yoro
Left: Martinez and Branthwaite

Still six centre backs.
Well personally I would look at it as squad places:

RB: Dalot, AWB (would sell personally), Yoro (potentially as he adapts)
RCB: Yoro, Maguire, Lindelof, Evans
LCB: Martinez, Evans, Shaw
LB: Shaw, Dalot, Amass (although this seems a bit early to be 3rd choice LB)

So in my eyes I would maybe look for a RB or LB - probably why that Ferdi Kadioglu is linked as would cover both. I'd replace one of the RCB options for a better player than Maguire or Lindelof - that could be Branthwaite as well as he's either footed, and Shaw would be no longer the 3rd choice LCB either.

Is it really such a big deal if we play with 2 right footed CBs? Our best ever cb duo were both right footed. And it's not like De Ligt is Arjen Robben, he's quite decent with both.

You are comparing a totally different era and style of football.

You are comparing a totally different era and style of football.

Ramos + Varane, Skriniar + Bastoni did pretty well for themselves recently. Didn't Klopp mainly use two right footers as well? I'm just curious why it's such a big deal.

Ramos + Varane, Skriniar + Bastoni did pretty well for themselves recently. Didn't Klopp mainly use two right footers as well? I'm just curious why it's such a big deal.
I don't even disagree with your overall point, but Bastoni is a crap example. Not only is he left footed, he plays in a back three with Inter.

I don't even disagree with your overall point, but Bastoni is a crap example. Not only is he left footed, he plays in a back three with Inter.

:lol: my bad I always thought he was a righty for some reason.

Surely it comes down to how the manager wants to play though and the system? I get your point as well, don't get me wrong, but if EtH has said thats how he prefers it then there must be a reason. I remember LVG wanting the same. Pep and Arteta are the same as well I believe (I have certainly read interviews suggesting as much).

Bayern played with two rightfooted CBs in the last years. City did too, unless Ake started. Liverpool with VVD and Konate mainly. Milan has 4 rightfooted CBs. PSG was forced to use two rightfooted CBs since Kimpembe and Hernandez are injured all the time. Barcelona also has no leftfooted CB. Real is also rotating Alaba (left) and Militao (right) as Rudiger's partner. It's really not uncommon still nowadays.

Surely it comes down to how the manager wants to play though and the system? I get your point as well, don't get me wrong, but if EtH has said thats how he prefers it then there must be a reason. I remember LVG wanting the same.

Fair.

Surely it comes down to how the manager wants to play though and the system? I get your point as well, don't get me wrong, but if EtH has said thats how he prefers it then there must be a reason. I remember LVG wanting the same. Pep and Arteta are the same as well I believe (I have certainly read interviews suggesting as much).
I seem to remember reading Ten Hag likes a LF and RF because it opens up a cross field passing angle/option.

With Onana to Villa, I think we can close the door on Everton accepting lower fee for Branthwaite. So I would be in favour of De Ligt and moving out one or both of Maguire/Lindelof. Then need to think FBs and midfield!

While I appreciate that CB and CF were problem areas last year as well, surely signing a DM needs to be on like, equal footing of importance at least?

For like two thirds of the season we literally had no midfield. I would have said it was the number one priority this summer to sell a couple and get some legs and ability in there.

Not that I'm not pumped about Zirkzee, Yoro and potentially De Ligt. That already reads as a really good window and at really good prices too, but if we don't make a significant DM signing my optimism for the season will take a hit.

With Onana to Villa, I think we can close the door on Everton accepting lower fee for Branthwaite. So I would be in favour of De Ligt and moving out one or both of Maguire/Lindelof. Then need to think FBs and midfield!
I still can't wrap my head around that deal. I would have thought Arsenal, United and Liverpool at least would have been all over Luiz at that price. And then signing Onana as a replacement for more.

I think that's a downgrade and I wouldn't be happy at all if I was a Villa fan, selling your best CM for not that much after qualifying for the CL.

We lost one first team CB. Kambwala was part of the u21s team and only played 8 games last season due to an extensive injury crisis. We've partly mitigated the risk of that happening again by letting the injury-prone Varane go and replacing him with a young, fit CB. In any case, another CB can step up from the u21s for a handful of games, the same way Kambwala did, in case we have a similarly horrendous crisis. But we don't need 6 first team CBs, that's absurd.
Evans will eat up those u21 minutes. Lindelof is surely out the door and that can't come too soon.

Would leave us the LCBs of Maguire and Martinez, and RCBs of Yoro and De Ligt, with Evans providing cover in emergencies.

We could probably get by without, but this would be my top priority behind a holding midfielder

Good job by United, shocking from Marseille.
It's a good job by both. Under the circumstances, we've got a good enough deal out of the mess. While Marseille have taken advantage of the situation to get themselves a good young player way below what his market value would have been.

It's a good job by both. Under the circumstances, we've got a good enough deal out of the mess. While Marseille have taken advantage of the situation to get themselves a good young player way below what his market value would have been.
I can't honour someone who gives a job to a person like Greenwood with a ‘Good job’. I think it's pathetic for OM.

Id like to see McTominay, Eriksen, Sancho, Lindelof and Casemiro sold. Ugarte and Amrabat brought in.

While I appreciate that CB and CF were problem areas last year as well, surely signing a DM needs to be on like, equal footing of importance at least?

For like two thirds of the season we literally had no midfield. I would have said it was the number one priority this summer to sell a couple and get some legs and ability in there.

Not that I'm not pumped about Zirkzee, Yoro and potentially De Ligt. That already reads as a really good window and at really good prices too, but if we don't make a significant DM signing my optimism for the season will take a hit.
The problem was always going to be getting rid of Casemiro to have the funds to make that happen.

Bastoni is left footed.

But yes many top teams have right footed CBs starting for them, City had Stones and Dias, Liverpool had VdV and any of Matip, Gomez and Konate, all right footed, Chelsea UCL winning played 3 at the back with all of them being right footed in Azpi, Silva and Rudiger, it's not a big deal but a left footed LCB is better with the passing angles and there were/are coaches who are obsessed with having a left footed LCB.