Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2024/25

A national side that didnt play Van Dijk until he was in his mid-20s The GREATEST CENTRE HALF OF ALL TIME remember. Jeremie Frimpong doesnt get a kick for them. They are not the standard you use when it comes to playing their best players.
Frimpong had his chance and didn’t take it. Move on.

Zirkzee played 4 minutes and made 2 completed passes out of 2 attempted. So... Koeman is not playing Zirkzee because Zirkzee is too good for the team? https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/teams/players/250106762--joshua-zirkzee/ Gakpo, Memphis, and Simons preferred ahead of him too, and people here were not exactly clamoring to sign Memphis when he was available on a free after being let go by Barcelona.

Not understanding your argument.

Mine view is easily understood: I expected him to play more in a struggling Dutch national team that was giving minutes to goal-machines like Wout Weghorst. If he truly offered a range of attacking options, you'd think his national side would have wanted to use him. According to the video I linked, he offers something different to the typical profile, however I remain skeptical that he will find the PL as accommodating as Serie A.
To break it down, koeman plays his favourites.

Dortmund pleading poverty when they sell a player for eye watering amounts every summer and fill an 80k stadium every week never gets old.

Yeah you feel for their fans a bit. They made so much money from Bellingham, Haaland and Sancho and barely spent anything. I guess they got to the CL final randomly which was fun while it lasted.

Dortmund pleading poverty when they sell a player for eye watering amounts every summer and fill an 80k stadium every week never gets old.
One wonders how their fans tolerate it. Yes they got to a CL final in a weird year but player for player they must be worse now than they were 5 or 10 years ago.

This is grown adults we are talking about. Discipline is important but mutual respect between player and coach is also important. Coaches who treat players like children rarely goes over well.

For what it's worth Sancho did get punished by being banished and loaned out. We also then clearly tried to sell him. You don't have to keep punishing a guy at some point as long as there has been a mature discussion. If Ten Hag and Sancho both accepted they made mistakes and agreed to a fresh start then there is no reason the relationship can't be repaired.

Obviously, though I hope a significant part of that discussion is Sancho being made aware of the repercussions for any more social media outbursts.
Its not that simple though. Cause its not the only manager-player relationship we have. And the way this plays out affects all the other manager-player relationships we have.
Sure, they could admit they both made mistakes, but for the sakes of the other relationships, and United’s reputationship of being a player-power club, the way this plays out has a significant symbol effect to the world.
If Sancho stays, and does not need to issue the much-publicized required apology, who would be the «winner»? What does that tell the other players?
Whichever way this plays out, i hope and expect INEOS/new leadership to think through the long term consequences

as for both of them being adults, i’m not so sure…

Feel like any money we spend to keep him could be better spent….

I agree. He routinely showed here that he wasn't good enough. In a highly structured system in the FA Cup Final he played pretty well, but it was an almost purely destructive role. What I would be interested to know, is how much he would cost, and if that fee is taking into consideration the loan fee we already paid. And with that in mind, how many people would change their mind on his potential transfer?

If for example he was to cost an additional 20M to make the transfer permanent, I don't think many would feel that was money well spent. But say, he was to cost an additional 10-12m (on top of the loan fee already paid) to make the move permanent.....does that suddenly make him feel like he would be a sensible addition to provide much needed squad depth? Or are we falling into a sunk cost fallacy here? Does "not good enough" here truly mean "not good enough", or does it mean "not good enough unless he's really cheap"?

In my mind, not good enough has to mean exactly that. Whether the player costs 5m or 50m, what's the point in buying them if they are ultimately viewed as not being at the requisite level? Isn't that one of the ways that one accumulates dead wood? By buying players who seemingly represent value, but are ultimately not up to par with how you are trying to play.

Its not that simple though. Cause its not the only manager-player relationship we have. And the way this plays out affects all the other manager-player relationships we have.
Sure, they could admit they both made mistakes, but for the sakes of the other relationships, and United’s reputationship of being a player-power club, the way this plays out has a significant symbol effect to the world.
If Sancho stays, and does not need to issue the much-publicized required apology, who would be the «winner»? What does that tell the other players?
Whichever way this plays out, i hope and expect INEOS/new leadership to think through the long term consequences

as for both of them being adults, i’m not so sure…

Right, but clearly they cleared the air in their meeting. The squad can take from that what they will. We don't need to tell the world whether there was a specific apology but we can infer from there being progress that enough was said.

I can't see many players wanting to risk 4 months with the youth team and then being loaned out. Thats the disciplinary message to take from this whole thing.

If he hasn't apologised, and he is not sold before the start of the season, I don't think this decision is favorable in regards to the coach authority.

He set his terms, and this spoiled kid was not willing to apologise. He needs to be moved on.

Sancho- yes to selling him (40
Amrabat- no to signing him permanently
Zirkzee-if he scores 10-12 goals a season for 3 years, it will be a good signing.
de light- yes please, but 40m euros with a 25% sell on clause for Bayern

still need more CB and one more CM after this

If he hasn't apologised, and he is not sold before the start of the season, I don't think this decision is favorable in regards to the coach authority.

He set his terms, and this spoiled kid was not willing to apologise. He needs to be moved on.
I think he is for sale but due to FFP/PSR we can only sell him to a realistic buyer and clearly he hasn't done enough to attract one. We don't necessarily need him at his current level but we need the money from his sale more and it isn't happening due to the wage Murtough and Woodward saw fit to give him.

I like Big Willy, but if we are bringing in two expensive centre backs in addition to Martinez and Maguire, then this is sensible.

Evans will be here next season for emergency back up and hopefully an opportunity to bring in someone else from the youth set up for a few minutes over the season.

Lindelof next you would imagine. A decent defender who has time for another good transfer and contract.

Amrabat would be the Kambwala money and for that I’d take him, I thought the last 2 or 3 games Amrabat showed what he can do when utilised properly and rumours are he had to beg to be played in his proper position.

I think we have a decent enough squad option there for very cheap and would be daft to pass on him.

Sad Willy's going but we have a buyback clause and its a top level league and a good team too. So i'm fine with it. Think he's going to be a solid player in the future.

Wait, why?
I don't get this clamouring for Toney really. He's had 4 seasons at Brentford playing 138 games scoring 70 goals, 31 of them are from when they were in Championship. So, 89 games in all comps since they were promoted to Prem and a total of 39 goals scored out of which 12 were penalties. Let's be honest, as long as Bruno is here he's not going to take any penalties for us. Also add in being banned for 6 months for being a betting addict, it's certainly baffling.

He's way overrated on here. Just your average mid table striker and not a great striker like some on here believe. Watkins is great, Toney is not. He's not guaranteeing 20 goals, not sure why people think it's a given.

Actually becoming efficient in the transfer market! Who’d t have thought it. Best of luck to the lad, love his attitude and love for United. Hope he makes it big and returns one day to play for his team.

He's not average and why exactly is he a bellend?
How is he not average? He's just some midtable level striker, who lacks professionalism and doesn't have the right mentality to play for United. We have two strikers. We don't need another. Especially one who lacks the humility to be a substitute.

Get a goddamn midfielder first. I can't stand another season of McTominay and Case as our main players alongside Bruno and Mainoo.

He's way overrated on here. Just your average mid table striker and not a great striker like some on here believe. Watkins is great, Toney is not. He's not guaranteeing 20 goals, not sure why people think it's a given.

Yeah I don't see why he has the reputation of a great striker. He's not been consistently prolific since joining the premier league and he wouldn't be on pens at United.

His non-penalty goal numbers in the PL over the past three seasons are not hugely impressive.

21/22 P 33 G: 9
22/23 P 33 G: 15
23/24 P 17 G: 4

Sancho, garnacho, amad, Bruno, rashford, zirkzee, hojlund and toney. Is that too stacked ? Does it indicate that we’ll be using squad depth more going forward rather than running certain players into the ground… it’s a lot of depth.