Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2024/25

The thing with Zirkzee that seems promising is that he is a clearly different profile of forward to Hojlund. They compliment each other by having different strengths. Zirkzee definitely has a bit of Firmino about him if you look at the various stats going around particularly possession won and chances created.

I wonder how many of people who are sceptical about Zirkzee ever saw him in action.

I don´t say ever but pretty much im the one. Im sceptical because a) he hasn´t been any goal scoring machine. And b) he was a bench warmer in Holland national team and they played bang average Weghorst ahead of im. Yeah, tactics, Koeaman etc etc but imo, if player is good enough, coach will start with him. So i guess Zirkzee simply wasn´t. But let´s give him a chance. His profile looks interesting and transfer fee isn´t that bad.

I wonder how many people who want him have seen him in action. It’s amazing the amount of niche football, fans on the caf consume on a regular basis.

Serie A is hardly niche. From January to the end of the season, Bologna seemed to be on at least every other week on TNT.

Zirkzee didn't play much in the god-awful Dutch side we just saw, that says something. I know his player profile is unique and supposedly he offers several different aspect to his game different from a traditional 9, but I too am skeptical.

We as fans have every right to be sceptical, Bayern don’t seem too bothered to let him go or pay £30m for Olise plus the £20m sell on fee we will inevitably give them.

He looks technically excellent however that’s in a league where he has much more time on the ball, he’s going to take time to adjust to the frenetic pace of the PL, this could go either way, one we offload for £2.5m to Girona in a few years or Eithan Wheatley becomes the bonafide United number 9/10 or he adjusts quickly and becomes the main man for United and Holland?

Love if we can bulk up our midfield with bit more quality.

Ugarte and another good midfield option.

Think Manoo and Bruno are starters but if we can get in another couple of options I'd be happy.

Alot of games next season so be nice that we don't see a drop in quality if were to rotate.

Not enough concrete talk about midfield

I wonder how many people who want him have seen him in action. It’s amazing the amount of niche football, fans on the caf consume on a regular basis.
I think it's a pretty normal opinion to be happy with signing a league's YPOTY for a decent fee, no?

You can see the talent definitely, he’s able to turn in tight spaces, a good passer and has a skill in him

Even if he does all of the above without scoring 15/20 goals, this will be a good signing.

My only concern is he seems a bit relaxed on the ball, and is a touch slow in terms of skill/ touch execution.

Hopefully he’s able to adapt his abilities to a higher pace and intensity, that will be the make or break for him.

Atleast he costed us a sane amount of money which is a plus already, not a 80m price tag hanging over his head when he joins.

We as fans have every right to be sceptical, Bayern don’t seem too bothered to let him go or pay £30m for Olise plus the £20m sell on fee we will inevitably give them.

He looks technically excellent however that’s in a league where he has much more time on the ball, he’s going to take time to adjust to the frenetic pace of the PL, this could go either way, one we offload for £2.5m to Girona in a few years or Eithan Wheatley becomes the bonafide United number 9/10 or he adjusts quickly and becomes the main man for United and Holland?

Sorry to split hairs, but they're paying a reported €53m for Olise, which is around £43m. Similarly it's € for the sell on fee, so that's around £17m-ish paid over the next 3 years.

From what I've read on here from our resident Dutch and Bayern fans, he didn't exactly fail there but was obviously never going to displace the likes of Müller or Lewa. They obviously thought he could still come good otherwise they wouldn't have insisted on such a high sell on fee.

Sure he could fail hard, but that's true of any player. How many sure things haven't worked out? Look at Sancho! Signing ready made stars hasn't really worked out for us, so I don't really have a problem with signing players like this who appear to be on the up and might have something to prove.

He left Bayern to seek regular football after all, first taking a step down to Belgium and then one of Series A's lesser known sides, and found success at both.

his injury record is horrendous.

The last 7 seasons he has played - 36, 37, 34, 33, 14, 21 and 33 league matches - that is almost 30/38 matches on average. And he did his cruciate in 22 which kept him out for a year.

Guys Koeman made a defensive sub as soon as they scored. That should tell you something about his teams. Being skeptical of a player because he doesn’t get picked by koeman is a bit silly
Wrong: Depay was injured and we were overrun in midfield. After Veerman came on, we were better.

Sorry to split hairs, but they're paying a reported €53m for Olise, which is around £43m. Similarly it's € for the sell on fee, so that's around £17m-ish paid over the next 3 years.

From what I've read on here from our resident Dutch and Bayern fans, he didn't exactly fail there but was obviously never going to displace the likes of Müller or Lewa. They obviously thought he could still come good otherwise they wouldn't have insisted on such a high sell on fee.

Sure he could fail hard, but that's true of any player. How many sure things haven't worked out? Look at Sancho! Signing ready made stars hasn't really worked out for us, so I don't really have a problem with signing players like this who appear to be on the up and might have something to prove.

He left Bayern to seek regular football after all, first taking a step down to Belgium and then one of Series A's lesser known sides, and found success at both.

Agreed and to the poster you were replying to, are we talking about the same Bayern that has a back up striker called Eric Choupo Moting upfront? The same Choupo that was at Stoke?

The last 7 seasons he has played - 36, 37, 34, 33, 14, 21 and 33 league matches - that is almost 30/38 matches on average. And he did his cruciate in 22 which kept him out for a year.
The fact that he's missed 15 games in the last 2 seasons specifically related to his inner knee ligament is definitely cause for concern. Suggests it will probably recur in the future.

The fact that he's missed 15 games in the last 2 seasons specifically related to his inner knee ligament is definitely cause for concern. Suggests it will probably recur in the future.

Like it did for Keane, Zlatan and Nistelrooy, VVD to name some ?

He’s only 26 too so it’s not like a player in his 30s coming back from an ACL tear. I like him. Brings a lot of energy and offers a real threat from out wide plus he’s got decent crossing ability.

Zlatan got several knee injuries after his cruciate injury. Roy was ok for a couple years but got another major knee injury in 2001 where he missed 16 games. Most of Ruud's injuries with us weren't related to his knee, however he did go on to have another massive knee injury in 2008 at Madrid (specifically the same meniscus he had originally torn at PSV).

Van Dijk hasn't had anything recur yet, however more often than not, these major injuries are more likely to have long-term effects.

In De Ligt's case specifically, it's most worrying that it already has recurred just a few months after his return. We seem to be after at least 2 if not 3 new cbs, so it's probably still worth the risk. If De Ligt was the only cb we were going after, I would be very concerned though. It's unlikely he'll be completely injury free next season imo.

Amazing how that valuation wasn’t too high when they were robbing us for him. In fact it wasn’t nearly enough.

Given these tweets it makes sense he trains and is seen to be fit and ready. I’m not sure I expect him to feature once the season starts, especially if he hasn’t apologised.
Would be interesting to see if the new structure would step in to broker a truce. Can’t see us selling Sancho for anywhere close to what we bought him for so do we take a loss or try make it work.

Tier 1:

Tier 2:

Like, as a parent. Trying to teach kids rules. In what world does it make sense to «move on» and «make it work» at this point. Either we give the players (read: kids) all the power to do what they want, or we actually show them that rules are rules. Regardless of stature, regardless of salary. If you live in my house, my rules apply. I’ll actually be open to input and complaints, but when the descision is over, its over. Letting him back now, without an apology, would be undermining EtH, and any main coach following him.
(Not trying to make this a parenting discussion, but the comparison is apt imo)
Edit: added post i’m replying to for context

Feck Borussia Dortmund. They can come and get their boy from the reserves in 2 years time.

Amazing how that valuation wasn’t too high when they were robbing us for him. In fact it wasn’t nearly enough.

A few weeks ago they were tweeting about how amazing he is and how we couldn't get the best out of him. Now it's "he's worth about £15 mil mate!"

Not a fan of him being back though. I feel like him and Rashford could derail any positivity around the camp with their circus antics.

You never know though, maybe they'll both see England in the final Sunday and realise that their lack of effort is why they're not there.

Last edited:
Like, as a parent. Trying to teach kids rules. In what world does it make sense to «move on» and «make it work» at this point. Either we give the players (read: kids) all the power to do what they want, or we actually show them that rules are rules. Regardless of stature, regardless of salary. If you live in my house, my rules apply. I’ll actually be open to input and complaints, but when the descision is over, its over. Letting him back now, without an apology, would be undermining EtH, and any main coach following him.
(Not trying to make this a parenting discussion, but the comparison is apt imo)
Edit: added post i’m replying to for context

This is grown adults we are talking about. Discipline is important but mutual respect between player and coach is also important. Coaches who treat players like children rarely goes over well.

For what it's worth Sancho did get punished by being banished and loaned out. We also then clearly tried to sell him. You don't have to keep punishing a guy at some point as long as there has been a mature discussion. If Ten Hag and Sancho both accepted they made mistakes and agreed to a fresh start then there is no reason the relationship can't be repaired.

Obviously, though I hope a significant part of that discussion is Sancho being made aware of the repercussions for any more social media outbursts.

A few weeks ago they were tweeting about how amazing he is and how we couldn't get the best out of him. Now it's "he's worth about £15 mil mate!"

Not a fan of him being back though. I feel like him and Rashford could derail any positivity around the camp with their circus antics.

You never know though, maybe they'll both see England in the final Sunday and realise that their lack of effort is why they're not there.
As you said it would be amazing if they used this as motivation to go out this season and prove the "haters" wrong, but it could also go poorly again, especially with the depth we have now in attacking options.

And that doesn't mean we have world class depth, but there are a number of players that at the bare minimum will give maximum effort. I am thinking here of Garnacho, Amad, Antony, and even Mason Mount, and possibly even the new Dutch lad. So Rashford and Sancho will either have to match the effort and dedication of this group, or put up huge numbers so we can gloss over the moaping around.

I know Depay is was injured but to bring on veerman was a bit of a koeman style in my opinion
Midfield needed fixing, so Veerman came on. Xavi moved to the wing.

I don’t understand the Koeman hate: he was the first manager to give the national team a playstyle that made us competitive vs top teams, before he went to Barça.

Dutch people like to complain (zeuren), but Dutch football was really bad internationally for a while.

Guys Koeman made a defensive sub as soon as they scored. That should tell you something about his teams. Being skeptical of a player because he doesn’t get picked by koeman is a bit silly
Zirkzee played 4 minutes and made 2 completed passes out of 2 attempted. So... Koeman is not playing Zirkzee because Zirkzee is too good for the team? https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/teams/players/250106762--joshua-zirkzee/ Gakpo, Memphis, and Simons preferred ahead of him too, and people here were not exactly clamoring to sign Memphis when he was available on a free after being let go by Barcelona.

Not understanding your argument.

Mine view is easily understood: I expected him to play more in a struggling Dutch national team that was giving minutes to goal-machines like Wout Weghorst. If he truly offered a range of attacking options, you'd think his national side would have wanted to use him. According to the video I linked, he offers something different to the typical profile, however I remain skeptical that he will find the PL as accommodating as Serie A.

The fact that we havent rejecteed the buy option is concerning. He had a great game in the FA Cup final against City but he's poor overall, I don't want him here even as a squad player. We need better.

Zirkzee played 4 minutes and made 2 completed passes out of 2 attempted. So... Koeman is not playing Zirkzee because Zirkzee is too good for the team? https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/teams/players/250106762--joshua-zirkzee/

Not understanding your argument.

Mine view is easily understood: I expected him to play more in a struggling Dutch national team that was giving minutes to goal-machines like Wout Weghorst. If he truly offered a range of attacking options, you'd think his national side would have wanted to use him. According to the video I linked, he offers something different to the typical profile, however I remain skeptical that he will find the PL as accommodating as Serie A.
A national side that didnt play Van Dijk until he was in his mid-20s The GREATEST CENTRE HALF OF ALL TIME remember. Jeremie Frimpong doesnt get a kick for them. They are not the standard you use when it comes to playing their best players.