Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2024/25

Van de Beek has been a massive failure but that fee is outrageous.

Yep. I'm hoping over time the new group of talented appointments will make us much better at buying and selling. But, with the rather haphazard summer where the appointments are only arriving / being able to start work, bit by bit, and with the existing mess of big contracts and failures that they're inheriting, then I guess there's still going to be some pretty low fees received at first just to get some off the books (or honouring existing poor agreed fees, like with Alvaro Fernandez).

Banking on add ons and sell on fees to make up for a low initial fee is always a big gamble, as the player may not kick on, or there's always ways the other club can try and work around it, or lose them on a free at the end of their contract, etc.

I guess it was probably felt the only way to get a club to take a gamble on VDB. But it also means we have to gamble on him being a success there (in order to meet the add ons) and Girona happy to sell him in due course (and give us our 'big sell on clause').

It gets his wages off the books, at least - provided we're not covering any of them! But I'm not sure how much of the potential extra money we'll end up receiving given his performances over the last number of years.

Last edited:
I read it as next to nothing initial fee, slightly better fee if he actually plays for them and decent fee if he wins something.

Not exactly 'outrageous'.

I read it as next to nothing initial fee, slightly better fee if he actually plays for them and decent fee if he wins something.

Not exactly 'outrageous'.

Yeah, year left on his contract on a player that's barely played here, or been rubbish, injured or both at any club we've sent him to. It's a good deal upto 5 mil depending on playing time alone.

Plus his wages off the books.

Striker really is a dead position these days. Zirkee doesn't look like he'd be any improvement whatsoever. Surely there's som hidden gem in South America that would be cheap and effective

I swear Romano has recycled the same tweet for about a week.
He has. His way of saying the deal is still very much on. To be fair to him if he didn't do this he'd probably be invaded with a mountain of DMs and chats asking for why it's gone quiet.

So, erm...the first two players we could be signing this summer are Dutch, dare I say, double Dutch. :lol:

I swear Romano has recycled the same tweet for about a week.

United: We want Zirkzee.
Bologna: Release clause is 40m.
United: We are prepared to activate the clause.
Bologna: Great. 40 mil please.
Bologna: Yeah pay us the 40m and he’s yours.
Bologna: Err ok..
Bologna: ……..
United: Brace yourself.

Lot has changed management wise, but we are still targeting Dutch players, who can't even start for an average Dutch team. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

Striker really is a dead position these days. Zirkee doesn't look like he'd be any improvement whatsoever. Surely there's som hidden gem in South America that would be cheap and effective
Looks better than Hojlund in a few ways to be honest.

Both have the potential to be quality strikers.

United: We are counting the money...
United: We are fetching a suitcase...
United: We are putting the money in the suitcase...
United: We are sending someone to the airport now...
United: We are waiting for him to come back from the airport since he forgot the suitcase...

Lot has changed management wise, but we are still targeting Dutch players, who can't even start for an average Dutch team. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

You could, to a degree, understand why a new manager would bring in players that know exactly how he wants them to play.

But this only works in the first season in my opinion.

It's not like we have Dutch sides tearing up trees in Europe

Our interest in de Ligt dates back to 2019 and why does his nationality matter? He's a good player that's all I care about.

United: We are counting the money...
United: We are fetching a suitcase...
United: We are putting the money in the suitcase...
United: We are sending someone to the airport now...
United: We are waiting for him to come back from the airport since he forgot the suitcase...
You clearly are clueless about preparing. You do your hair. You stand in a Ronaldo free-kick statue pose. You eye the opponent. You do do breathing exercises…

We are waitinig for that sweet money from VdB sale.

It does feel strange to be so underwhelmed and under hyped for a potential striker signing, usually the position easiest to get excited about.

Hopefully it goes well.

Looking likely that Zirkzee, De Ligt and Ugarte will be our signings irrespective of the outgoings.

And then if we can shift the likes of Casemiro, Sancho and Greenwood, we'll probably look at another CB ( Brainthwate maybe) and a CM. Maybe a LB depending on how confident the club feels with Malacia, Shaw and Amass.

Looking likely that Zirkzee, De Ligt and Ugarte will be our signings irrespective of the outgoings.

And then if we can shift the likes of Casemiro, Sancho and Greenwood, we'll probably look at another CB ( Brainthwate maybe) and a CM. Maybe a LB depending on how confident the club feels with Malacia, Shaw and Amass.

Leaves me very underwhelmed. I do like Ugarte but not particularly impressed with Zirkzee. Scoring goals has been a problem at times so I do hope they plan on bringing in someone who can add more goals/assists from the wing.