Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2024/25

Less chat more tweets, transfer window is almost open, time to get this season underway baby

I want the best CB on current form and currently De Ligt is 4th choice for his club and country while Ghuei been one of the stand out CB of the Euros so far?
Guehi would have been on the bench of Maguire was fit and people don't want him at the club. Means nothing that.

Only because they’re managed by Southgate. Means nothing that.

Guehi for £60m is a much better value signing than De Ligt for £60m.

Even before you factor in De Ligt will be demanding over double the wages of someone like Guehi, Branthwaite or similar. A small matter of £35-40m extra over a 5 year contract.
Yeah and Netherlands by Koeman so De Ligt being benched is meh.

Looks like De Ligt will be a done dealio, as the muppets would say.

Only because they’re managed by Southgate. Means nothing that.

Guehi for £60m is a much better value signing than De Ligt for £60m.

Even before you factor in De Ligt will be demanding over double the wages of someone like Guehi, Branthwaite or similar. A small matter of £35-40m extra over a 5 year contract.

I'd hope we'd pay closer to £40m for De Ligt, and you're also assuming Palace would accept £60m for Guehi. They'd probably push teams a bit higher now.

Also, Guehi isn't even 6ft tall, so him and Martinez at CB will be vulnerable in the air. You saw against Slovakia last night, Guehi was susceptible to a long ball forward.

Personally I don't think either of them are the answer, but it probably depends who you decide to put in front of them.

Rashford, Maguire, Mctominay, Varane, Shaw, Martial, Lindeloff, AWB, Dalot, that's 9 from the main team who were present before he arrived. Out of which he brought in Martinez who has been a great buy and probably the best since Bruno.

Antony can be termed as a bad one at this point. Malacia had been unfortunately injured, Casemiro was a player who was brought due to ETH not getting his primary player in FDJ. Casemiro dropped his standards this season.

Hoijlund was brought due to the expectation that Rashford would continue to grow and not go into his usual bad season long spell. Due to Rashford's incompetence, the striker didn't get enough time to settle down.

With Martinez, Shaw and Malacia out, plus Varane, Evans playing start stop with Maguire, the defence never settled down to give a decent chance to Onana who also let himself down with some bad goal keeping. But he has grown into his role and I expect him to be back to his usual high line play which he is comfortable with. He needs a defence he can trust.

All in all, it's easy to see why United do not have a pattern of play or a decent quality of football.

We are just saved due to Bruno being a great player along with Garnacho stepping up with Mainoo.

Eth can possibly be blamed for not improving the players he inherited but these players have sunk Jose, Ole, Ralf so I wouldn't blame ETH. Players like Rashford are the problem. Player power at United is ridiculous. Till it goes any manager coming in is not going to improve United.

EDIT: Sorry didn't realize this was the Twitter thread, thought it was the ETH thread.
Excellent post

I'd keep him, we've already spent £8m on his loan, the amount to make it permanent will be a lot less than what any other midfielder of his level would cost us. We need to keep him, bring in Ugarte and try sell Casemiro. I know we won't be able to do all that but one can dream.

Last edited:
Top red alert. Do you wear yo

I'd keep him, we've already spent £8m on his loan, the amount to make it permanent will be a lot less than what any other midfielder of his level would cost us. We need to keep him, bring in Ugarte and try sell Casemiro. I know we won't be able to do all that but one can dream.

This is the definition of sunk cost fallacy. It doesn't matter how much we paid for him already, it only matters if you would pay €25m for him.

After the season he had, I can not see how a single person would think that that's a good use of the clubs money. He had 1 or 2 good games; sure better players might cost a bit more money, but we're better off putting that €25m towards those better players than putting it towards a player who had a season to show us what he could do and was disappointing.

I assume he's going to Inter or another Serie A club, but has there been any link to Mario Hermoso? He just left Atleti and while he wouldn't be the best LCB in the world, profile wise and skills wise he seems like an excellent cover for both Martinez and Shaw/Malacia. And he is a free agent. So next to, say, De Ligt, I feel like he'd be an excellent addition and with the two of them, and Martinez and two of Evans/Maguire/Lindelof, it seems like a much better cover for CB and the entire defense than we've seen the past season. Assuming De Ligt's injury record will not be like Varane's.

There are probably other options, and perhaps PL-experienced covers for LCB, but it does surprise me that a free agent with his profile is not linked to United right now, at least as far as I've seen. A ball-playing left-footed CB who can cover for LB. He has an excellent pass and has good aggressiveness in his defense. The downside is that you'll have to figure out how to have him keep his focus more consistently. If you do, you can get the Hermoso who was an essential piece of Atleti's 2021 LaLiga win. Martinez is better, but this would be an excellent cover. Plus I think his skills would fit better in an ETH side than a Simeone side, as Simeone – although way less in recent years – often falls back to hard defenders being the most important part of any defender. Sensical point, but seems to often dismiss the pros of a more technically apt defender (or any player, really).

Rashford, Maguire, Mctominay, Varane, Shaw, Martial, Lindeloff, AWB, Dalot, that's 9 from the main team who were present before he arrived. Out of which he brought in Martinez who has been a great buy and probably the best since Bruno.

Antony can be termed as a bad one at this point. Malacia had been unfortunately injured, Casemiro was a player who was brought due to ETH not getting his primary player in FDJ. Casemiro dropped his standards this season.

Hoijlund was brought due to the expectation that Rashford would continue to grow and not go into his usual bad season long spell. Due to Rashford's incompetence, the striker didn't get enough time to settle down.

With Martinez, Shaw and Malacia out, plus Varane, Evans playing start stop with Maguire, the defence never settled down to give a decent chance to Onana who also let himself down with some bad goal keeping. But he has grown into his role and I expect him to be back to his usual high line play which he is comfortable with. He needs a defence he can trust.

All in all, it's easy to see why United do not have a pattern of play or a decent quality of football.

We are just saved due to Bruno being a great player along with Garnacho stepping up with Mainoo.

Eth can possibly be blamed for not improving the players he inherited but these players have sunk Jose, Ole, Ralf so I wouldn't blame ETH. Players like Rashford are the problem. Player power at United is ridiculous. Till it goes any manager coming in is not going to improve United.

EDIT: Sorry didn't realize this was the Twitter thread, thought it was the ETH thread.
Very good post pointing out the lies that certain posters keep trying to peddle along with injuries don’t matter debate. You don’t mind if opposite views have merit but they just derail threads and conversations.

However I wouldn’t say there was a player power issue in the most obvious sense. It was more poor mentality for whatever reason and reverting to negative conditions under previous regimes for me.

This is the definition of sunk cost fallacy. It doesn't matter how much we paid for him already, it only matters if you would pay €25m for him.

After the season he had, I can not see how a single person would think that that's a good use of the clubs money. He had 1 or 2 good games; sure better players might cost a bit more money, but we're better off putting that €25m towards those better players than putting it towards a player who had a season to show us what he could do and was disappointing.
I think the question here is, do you need more money to spend on an actual first choice DM, or is there room left to invest in an Amrabat level backup?
He has shown the potential, but not the bottom line you need for a first choice option next to Mainoo.

25m for a good backup would be great, but it depends on the spending room and what the actual priorities are this summer. But this season's Casemiro and the disappearance of almost all defenders shows a backup is necessary at DM.

De Ligt is another addition to the long list of underwhelming signings we have made under ETH. If the fees involved are to be believed too, feck's sake.

De Ligt, Ugarte and Zirkzee would be 3 very solid signings and will immensely upgrade the first XI. Perhaps another midfielder is needed if Casemiro or Eriksen leave

De Ligt is another addition to the long list of underwhelming signings we have made under ETH. If the fees involved are to be believed too, feck's sake.

A long list under Jose, Ole and ETH it should be.. but i know that dont fit your agenda, that it is ALL on ETH

This is the definition of sunk cost fallacy. It doesn't matter how much we paid for him already, it only matters le if you would pay €25m for him.

With the amount of midfielders we have (or don't have) at our disposal - I would keep him. He showed in the FA Cup final that there is a really good player there - I trust Amrabat a lot more than I trust Eriksen and Casemiro - at least Amrabat can run. And if we sell both Casemiro and Eriksen - we are seriously short on midfielders - and I doubt we can find a good midfielder for £20 million. I wasn't convinced we should buy Sabitzer - but he has clearly shown in the last 12 months, that the problem was United - not Sabitzer. And I think it might very well be the same problem with Amrabat. But at the end of the season - he showed he is a good player

So about 43 million GBP plus add-ons to be included as well?

To be honest that's not a lot for a 25 year old player that played CL with Juve and Bayern.

I suppose United will look at someting around 40M, but valuation is way better the 70M of Everton