Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2024/25

Is the coming from a place of not trusting the club to replace him? AWB should be easy enough to replace. I don't think we should be holding back on letting him go.

Getting a player like AWB for £15 million easy ? Because let's face it - we can't afford to spend £35-40 million on a replacement for AWB, in addition to buying another full-back since we already are short. But if you feel there is right-back out there who is better than AWB and available for £15-20 million - and you trust our owners to sign that players - sure, let's sell AWB

Not being Real Madrid level doesn't mean we're Sheffield Utd level.
Since Fergie our league positions have been 7, 4, 5, 6, 2, 6, 3, 2, 6, (TH appointed) 3, 8 in that order.
Goal difference have been +21, +25, +14, +25, +40, +11, +30, +30, +0, (TH appointed) +15, -2.
Winning the FA Cup does not make up for our worst league campaign in 34 years. On xPts we're 14th: On xGD we're -14.
His net spend is €360m.
These are facts; Fans backing the decision to keep him knowing these facts are actively sinking our expectations and ambitions to a mid-table club. Get a grip.

Agree to the stats, but imo this drastic change is also a result of PL clubs change in quality overall from top to bottom, the Newcastle’s the spur’s even low level teams having coherent structure.

United by all means have fallen behind in that aspect for the past 3-4 years, cumulated by financial mismanagement, hence the bad results have finally piled up. Not a positive reflection on ETH’s credentials though after spending a lot.

You are saying we’ve been worse since ETH came, my point is we’ve always been s*it.

Not being Real Madrid level doesn't mean we're Sheffield Utd level.
Since Fergie our league positions have been 7, 4, 5, 6, 2, 6, 3, 2, 6, (TH appointed) 3, 8 in that order.
Goal difference have been +21, +25, +14, +25, +40, +11, +30, +30, +0, (TH appointed) +15, -2.
Winning the FA Cup does not make up for our worst league campaign in 34 years. On xPts we're 14th: On xGD we're -14.
His net spend is €360m.
These are facts; Fans backing the decision to keep him knowing these facts are actively sinking our expectations and ambitions to a mid-table club. Get a grip.

Yep it's unfortunate that people don't see it. This has been discussed to death and the usual suspects will say net spend is not his fault and injuries and lack of personnel tanked the campaign and Ten Hag doesn't get any part of the blame.

For me, even in the season prior when we finished 3rd, our data was ~6th in most stats. I think he'll get us to around 6th next season if we get lucky with injuries. If we make some good signings, potentially 3/4/5. After they decided no to Tuchel the only argument that was passable for me was that no one else in the running (Southgate, Potter, RDZ were clear upgrades)

Can we please keep the EtH shit talking out of the transfer thread? Ffs.
Yes please, every time I see a post here I think new information has come out. But it ends up being about the same topics in different threads.

Feck your loan, you cheapskate bastards!

Unfortunately, with the salary we gave him a loan would be the only viable option for most of the clubs. Not a bad deal for us if we can get his salary of the books and get a decent loan fee.

The other option is to get on a warpath with him and tell his agent that he'll only leave on a permanent transfer, otherwise we are ready for him to sit on the bench while getting paid. If he has ambition, that might force him to take a pay cut elsewhere and we can get a fee. The risk is that he very well might be happy to sit out his contract like he was when ETH asked him for an apology.

Unfortunately, with the salary we gave him a loan would be the only viable option for most of the clubs. Not a bad deal for us if we can get his salary of the books and get a decent loan fee.

The other option is to get on a warpath with him and tell his agent that he'll only leave on a permanent transfer, otherwise we are ready for him to sit on the bench while getting paid. If he has ambition, that might force him to take a pay cut elsewhere and we can get a fee. The risk is that he very well might be happy to sit out his contract like he was when ETH asked him for an apology.

It's perfectly possible to sell a player while we cover parts of his wages - not ideal for us but better than a loan.

When a player has no suitors, I agree with your point but clubs like Dortmund and Juventus could absolutely pay what we want and his salary, they’re just being cheap because they’re aware we want him off the books.

Yes please, every time I see a post here I think new information has come out. But it ends up being about the same topics in different threads.
To be fair, that's the same with the Transfer Tweets themselves. They're almost always about a player that already has a thread - so by definition any response to them is 'about the same topics in different threads'.

Though I agree about the ETH bashing. These are meant to be Transfer Tweets, not discussions about who should be manager. But if, for example, there's a tweet about Manuel Ugarte posted, then I don't see the problem with posts discussing it - even though there's already a specific thread about him as well.

Quite a nice move. We know they have a good manager, he'd likely look very good in their setup, and not an underdog team. Could be a great platform to develop him further and sell him on for huge profit if he realises his potential.

50% sell-on please.

Anyone willing to pay a decent fee though? We are not a charitable institution. Are we?

Considering our tiny transfer budget and how little we are being offered for him I wouldn't be surprised if INEOS are trying to orchestrate his return.

At the very least, he will return and train with United in the pre-season and they will judge the mood then. If they do end up selling him, they need to try to suggest to prospective buyers that they do have an option to keep him otherwise all we will get is lowball offers.

Considering our tiny transfer budget and how little we are being offered for him I wouldn't be surprised if INEOS are trying to orchestrate his return.

At the very least, he will return and train with United in the pre-season and they will judge the mood then. If they do end up selling him, they need to try to suggest to prospective buyers that they do have an option to keep him otherwise all we will get is lowball offers.
I mean it's pretty obvious INEOS want him gone. They briefed that even before the window to every reliable journo. They'll shift him on for a small fee with maybe a hefty sell on percentage.

Cloud cuckoo land

There's no way INEOS are going to bring on the inevitably terrible PR of trying to keep Greenwood when they're currently benefiting from being the positive alternative to the Glazers.

And trying it, and bringing all the negative reaction to him being here front and centre again, will only reduce his fee more and make another loan more likely. I'm sure they're trying to sell him permanently, but just coming up against teams looking to take advantage of the situation by lowballing us.

There's no way INEOS are going to bring on the inevitably terrible PR of trying to keep Greenwood when they're currently benefiting from being the positive alternative to the Glazers.

And trying it, and bringing all the negative reaction to him being here front and centre again, will only reduce his fee more and make another loan more likely. I'm sure they're trying to sell him permanently, but just coming up against teams looking to take advantage of the situation by lowballing us.
It makes you think though if Ineos win their Todibo Transfer case with CAS which us highly likely as this is restriction of work within Europe, then the door is open for Greenwood to go on loan for 1 year somewhere and then they sell the player to Nice for £35-40m, The club have already triggered his extension to 2025/26 season. So they can be far more aggressive than some of these teams think. They can also absolutely sign him up to a new 2/3 year contract to protect the player and the club and loan him out for £6-7m per season until they sell him at 23/24.

> Considering our tiny transfer budget and how little we are being offered for him I wouldn't be surprised if INEOS are trying to orchestrate his return.
>
> At the very least, he will return and train with United in the pre-season and they will judge the mood then. If they do end up selling him, they need to try to suggest to prospective buyers that they do have an option to keep him otherwise all we will get is lowball offers.

Cloud cuckoo land

I didn't say I endorse it. However I'm sure someone at United is trying to work out the series of chess moves that would make it palatable with Greenwood having a year of playing league football under his belt.

However, his contract with Getafe expires in three days so unless we sell him in the next couple of weeks he's likely to appear at Carrington for preseason or we're trying to sell an unfit player. The alternative might be to find a willing third party team where he can continue to train.

It makes you think though if Ineos win their Todibo Transfer case with CAS which us highly likely as this is restriction of work within Europe, then the door is open for Greenwood to go on loan for 1 year somewhere and then they sell the player to Nice for £35-40m, The club have already triggered his extension to 2025/26 season. So they can be far more aggressive than some of these teams think. They can also absolutely sign him up to a new 2/3 year contract to protect the player and the club and loan him out for £6-7m per season until they sell him at 23/24.
This presupposes that Greenwood will sign a new contract, unless we offer some pretty serious financial inducement I am not sure what reason he would have, he knows he is never coming back to play here, as a free agent he has control over where he goes and will gain financially

He might have an ambition to play, but when faced with the prospect of earning twice less than what he is on at United, he will likely take the 350k and train with the reserves. I'm sure he has financial advisors as well, that will tell him not to take the pay-cut. It won't be easy to get rid, that's for sure.

Interesting that the coaches will be freshened up.

Can't do any harm, and it was something SAF did every now and then to keep things from getting stale.

This presupposes that Greenwood will sign a new contract, unless we offer some pretty serious financial inducement I am not sure what reason he would have, he knows he is never coming back to play here, as a free agent he has control over where he goes and will gain financially
We’ve already triggered the one year extension so he is contracted to the club until 25/26 season as things stand right now.

From Wiki:

He has been compared to Erik ten Hag, with both managers having a focus on compact, defensive structures. They share the same football vision, which they learned while in the youth department of FC Twente. The two also share a training principle that requires all players to be involved in both attacking and defensive play.