Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2024/25

Panathinaikos have just once in the last 15 years paid more than €5 million for a player. That was Tete for €7.5 million....so don't expect this to be a big signing
Their record sale is around 5 million..
Would be a terrible deal for us.. surprised no one else wants him

A midfielder and left back would make a very good transfer window!
It would. I actually messaged a friend the first time I saw Ferdi at the EUROs saying he looked really exciting, and was pleased when we were linked. Seems to have a lot about him and wouldn’t cost a fortune.

It would. I actually messaged a friend the first time I saw Ferdi at the EUROs saying he looked really exciting, and was pleased when we were linked. Seems to have a lot about him and wouldn’t cost a fortune.

He’s also extremely versatile, he can play multiple positions, still only 24. If Brighton do get him, they’ll be selling him for triple what they buy him for in a couple seasons time.

He really seems to divide opinion this guy - I've never got the hype personally.

Fee could easily be minuscule and we'll see some rating him at £15-£25m.
That's besides the point - it's not that he's necessarily a £15m player, but if he was on the books of City, Liverpool, Chelsea, etc, it would come as no surprise if they sold a player like him for that much.

Transfer fees are all over the place.

Panathinaikos have just once in the last 15 years paid more than €5 million for a player. That was Tete for €7.5 million....so don't expect this to be a big signing

I think Djibril Cissé climbed to 8 but yes 4 would be a generous effort relatively to their budgets.

We’re only selling McTominay if we have at least one, if not two, midfield targets coming in. McTominay out and Ugarte in is a trade off I’d make all day long. He’s a decent player McT but in a highly stratified set up - two pivots and a 10 - he doesn’t really have a place. He’s not disciplined enough to play as one of the pivots, nor technical enough to play as a 10. But in a box to box role, with a reasonable amount of freedom, I think he can be a really good player for a mid-table team. He’s got a great engine, he’s competent technically, and he has what the Spanish call “llegada”. He’s a goal threat from deep and playing week in, week out, he’s good for 7-10 goals a season from midfield. He just has that knack. I think he’s worth 30m personally, but 25+5 would be an acceptable deal. Especially as it is probably the tipping point for us to get Ugarte in, who immediately becomes one of three players (plus Mainoo and Casemiro) vying for two spots. Genuine competition for places in central midfield. I suppose Eriksen is the other option by default (and not a bad one).

We’re only selling McTominay if we have at least one, if not two, midfield targets coming in. McTominay out and Ugarte in is a trade off I’d make all day long. He’s a decent player McT but in a highly stratified set up - two pivots and a 10 - he doesn’t really have a place. He’s not disciplined enough to play as one of the pivots, nor technical enough to play as a 10. But in a box to box role, with a reasonable amount of freedom, I think he can be a really good player for a mid-table team. He’s got a great engine, he’s competent technically, and he has what the Spanish call “llegada”. He’s a goal threat from deep and playing week in, week out, he’s good for 7-10 goals a season from midfield. He just has that knack. I think he’s worth 30m personally, but 25+5 would be an acceptable deal. Especially as it is probably the tipping point for us to get Ugarte in, who immediately becomes one of three players (plus Mainoo and Casemiro) vying for two spots. Genuine competition for places in central midfield. I suppose Eriksen is the other option by default (and not a bad one).

Is he though? I suspect recency bias is clouding your assessment. His goals per games stats in the PL in the past five seasons:

4/27
4/32
1/30
1/24
7/33

So in four season combined he only just scraped 10 PL goals in 113 games. Not sure that’s a knack.

Rabiot's name keeps coming up , has there been anything connecting us at all or is it just speculation?

Last edited:
Is he though? I suspect recency bias is clouding your assessment. His goals per games stats in the PL in the past five seasons:

4/27
4/32
1/30
1/24
7/33

So in four season combined he only just scraped 10 PL goals in 113 games. Not sure that’s a knack.
Well I meant in all comps for a start. Which is generally how I assess a players overall contribution. Not just in the league. And also factoring in him playing the majority of games as a starter, not as a sub. So I think it’s a fairly reasonable assessment to say that in a team where he was playing as a box to box with a reasonable amount of freedom (which was a criteria mentioned specifically because that’s his natural game), and playing regular games as a starter, for a mid table club, he could definitely be a 7-10 goals a season from midfield player. Even the attempt to put cold water on that doesn’t assuage me from how reasonable that statement is.

Last season he scored 10 goals in all comps but only played 30 games worth of 90 mins. He made 43 appearances but only averaged 63 minutes per game on the field. 1 in 4 for appearances, 1 in 3 per 90. The season before where he had a much lower output, it was 3 goals in just 18 games worth of 90 mins. So 1 in 6. Playing 42 full games a season across all comps, even at that lowest output of the season before last is an average of 7 goals across all comps. Going by last season, across 42 full games, it would average 14 goals for the season. Obviously it’s hard and erroneous to some degree to average things out like that, but as stats were brought up, I’ll just extrapolate them out further for context.

Well I meant in all comps for a start. Which is generally how I assess a players overall contribution. Not just in the league. And also factoring in him playing the majority of games as a starter, not as a sub. So I think it’s a fairly reasonable assessment to say that in a team where he was playing as a box to box with a reasonable amount of freedom (which was a criteria mentioned specifically because that’s his natural game), and playing regular games as a starter, for a mid table club, he could definitely be a 7-10 goals a season from midfield player. Even the attempt to put cold water on that doesn’t assuage me from how reasonable that statement is.

Last season he scored 10 goals in all comps but only played 30 games worth of 90 mins. He made 43 appearances but only averaged 63 minutes per game on the field. 1 in 4 for appearances, 1 in 3 per 90. The season before where he had a much lower output, it was 3 goals in just 18 games worth of 90 mins. So 1 in 6. Playing 42 full games a season across all comps, even at that lowest output of the season before last is an average of 7 goals across all comps. Going by last season, across 42 full games, it would average 14 goals for the season. Obviously it’s hard and erroneous to some degree to average things out like that, but as stats were brought up, I’ll just extrapolate them out further for context.
Responded on the McTominay out thread as this is not the place.

Last edited:
To be fair, if we can recoup what we paid for him then that’s a win in my eyes (around £7 million was it?)

He was a decent punt but just hasn’t kicked on like we’d hoped.

I ain't mctoms biggest fan, and I understand transfer fees aren't just about a players ability, but feck me he's worth more than Sander Berge.

What is this? Tier 5?
Is this source reliable @mazhar13 ?
TuttoNapoli for sure not. I think they use Rai as a source who as far as I know are not the most reliable one in Italy.
It's not just Rai, it's Ciro Verenato, more specifically, who mainly covers Napoli. He also talks about Napoli in various radio stations. Despite how strongly he covers Napoli and how frequently he talks about them, he's not reliable. He's no guesser, but he very often provides speculative info from his sources that often don't get corroborated down the line. I wouldn't put much trust on him at this time.

I ain't mctoms biggest fan, and I understand transfer fees aren't just about a players ability, but feck me he's worth more than Sander Berge.

It ain't that simple, it's about what they offer the team and Sander Berge would be more beneficial to our team than what McTominay is, at least in my opinion.

I do agree though that Berge isn't a £30m player for me.

Never been a big McTominay fan, but would let Casemiro and Erikson go before him

If Mctominey, Eriksen, Hannibel are all to leave we must be bringing in 2 midfielders.

That will leave us with currently.
Bruno
Mount
Casemiro
Manoo
Collyer

If Mctominey, Eriksen, Hannibel are all to leave we must be bringing in 2 midfielders.

Bruno
Mount
Casemiro
Manoo
Collyer
Absolutely.

Bruno / Mount are more AM’s anyway. Collyer has basically never played for United so is a complete question mark at the moment.

Absolutely must bring in two if we’re selling Mctominay and Eriksen.

P.S. Not to mention that we’ve lost Amrabat as well.

Bruno
Mount
Casemiro
Manoo
Collyer

Yeah desperately hoping for two midfielders

Bruno
Mount
Casemiro
Manoo
Collyer
I think we could get by with just one for now.

We could have:

Ugarte, Collyer, Casemiro, Mainoo, Bruno, Mount.

Then if we wanted to we could go big on another CM next Summer. Only issue is that we don't have anyone like Mainoo. I'd like us to sign a cheap technical player who would allow us to rest/rotate Mainoo.

I think we could get by with just one for now.

We could have:

Ugarte, Collyer, Casemiro, Mainoo, Bruno, Mount.

Then if we wanted to we could go big on another CM next Summer. Only issue is that we don't have anyone like Mainoo. I'd like us to sign a cheap technical player who would allow us to rest/rotate Mainoo.

We simply have to do that but just can't see it