Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2024/25

Looks like there’s been a full-back brief

Unlike Shaw and Malacia how are brief full-backs

Finally. I was getting worried that there wasn't enough talk of getting left sided defenders. Ideally, we need both a LB and a LCB.

Full back is such an important position in modern football. We definitely need major reinforcements in the area. A modern attacking fullback can transform your attack.

It went quiet as well. We were linked to Kerkez and Gutierrez earlier in the window for LB. Then this week its been Frimpong, Vanderson and Mazraoui for RB.

Contract is up in 2025?

(But not very good is he?)
Good point but to be quite honest, I still don't think Palace will sell him for less than £25-30 million which is too much for a player who might end up being a reserve if Shaw stays fit. Especially as he is at least 1 level below Shaw(if not 2)

Either we sign a player who is very close to Shaws level - or we sign a young player who can develop. Signing a 25 year old, who is neither cheap or very good - just wont happen

Malacia will be retired within the year is my guess. Unfortunate for him but makes more sense how cheap he was now.

I don't think we will be able to shift Wan-Bissaka in the final year of his contract. Why would a club spend £20m on him when they know he's free in a year? It's not as if he's a game changer.

We'll hopefully source a left-back for cheap but won't be easy.

Wonder what is up with Malacia, not looking good, real shame that as he looked a fine backup and decent squad player.
Maybe best to get that Turkish Kadioglu as he can play both left and right

Insurance kicks in for Malacia, right? The kid looks to be in serious trouble with his knee, and athleticism was a huge part of his game, which really doesn't bode well.

I wonder if this means we have to give up signing a CB. We apparently need to sell to buy any more players, and are still after a CB, DM and ideally a Striker
There are players out there who can do both, so it mighn't be an either or case. Or doesn't have to be, anyway.

There’s also the fact that if we signed a left footed centre back Martinez could play at left back to cover Shaw when needed.
That's an interesting one - I suppose the fact he's missed so many games himself since the LB crisis began has meant he's not even been an option before now.

I think his passing between the lines in the middle of the pitch is invaluable to the kind of football the manager wants to play, so I can't see him being moved wide, even in a crisis, personally. But who knows? He has to be fit and then the scenario needs to present itself, for us to know if the manager considers that an option.

Flashbacks of Heinze with Martinez at LB!

That's an interesting one - I suppose the fact he's missed so many games himself since the LB crisis began has meant he's not even been an option before now.

I think his passing between the lines in the middle of the pitch is invaluable to the kind of football the manager wants to play, so I can't see him being moved wide, even in a crisis, personally. But who knows? He has to be fit and then the scenario needs to present itself, for us to know if the manager considers that an option.

Flashbacks of Heinze with Martinez at LB!
If Licha ends up pushing for a move to Liverpool I'm holding you personally responsible.

There are players out there who can do both, so it mighn't be an either or case. Or doesn't have to be, anyway.
Fair point

I think I read on the athletic a month or so back (probably when we made our first bid for him) that they saw Branthwaite as someone they felt could play left back when required

Perhaps it is the interest in him, which will be expensive, which is why they’re also still sniffing around Amrabat for cheap. I can’t see 2 more big money deals happening.

If Licha ends up pushing for a move to Liverpool I'm holding you personally responsible.
s42ggnIKIqg8.gif
Fair point

I think I read on the athletic a month or so back (probably when we made our first bid for him) that they saw Branthwaite as someone they felt could play left back when required

Perhaps it is the interest in him, which will be expensive, which is why they’re also still sniffing around Amrabat for cheap. I can’t see 2 more big money deals happening.
Hancko would also be an option, and he's a lot cheaper, but obviously untested in the PL.

s42ggnIKIqg8.gif

Hancko would also be an option, and he's a lot cheaper, but obviously untested in the PL.
How do you think it will go? Go for the cheaper option in defence and then get a more expensive midfielder (Ugarte seems most advanced) and do you think they’ll get a striker?

Cant really be new news to the club somehow. Think it was probably always the plan.

I don't think it was news even to us but so far the only links have been to RBs (Kadıoğlu, Vanderson, Mazraoui) which was a bit surprising.

I'd have thought the obvious solution was to just keep / try to extend AWB's contract and look for a new back up quality left back or an LCB / LB hybrid like Inacio to get two birds with one stone.