Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2024/25

I don't think it was news even to us but so far the only links have been to RBs (Kadıoğlu, Vanderson, Mazraoui) which was a bit surprising.

I'd have thought the obvious solution was to just keep / try to extend AWB's contract and look for a new back up quality left back or an LCB / LB hybrid like Inacio to get two birds with one stone.
Kadioglu can play both sides so would be the cover for both Shaw and Dalot. If we then sign a Hancko or Inacio type we have cover all across the back line and could sell Lindelof so we don't have too many CBs

Kadioglu can play both sides so would be the cover for both Shaw and Dalot. If we then sign a Hancko or Inacio type we have cover all across the back line and could sell Lindelof so we don't have too many CBs

Are there any concrete links to either Hancko or Inacio? I didn't think we were in the market for such a player. That's why these discussions about Martinez at LB keep happening.

I don't think it was news even to us but so far the only links have been to RBs (Kadıoğlu, Vanderson, Mazraoui) which was a bit surprising.

I'd have thought the obvious solution was to just keep / try to extend AWB's contract and look for a new back up quality left back or an LCB / LB hybrid like Inacio to get two birds with one stone.

I wonder was the some of the thinking behind buying multiple CBs to allow Martinez to play left back as cover if needed.

How do you think it will go? Go for the cheaper option in defence and then get a more expensive midfielder (Ugarte seems most advanced) and do you think they’ll get a striker?
No clue. We're doing well with the misdirection this window and I think our priorities are in two lanes: 1. targets we've planned for prior to the window opening; 2. dynamic/situational targets who will be determined by the end of the serious portion of preseason.

"2" can lead to panic buying or sudden pivoting, perhaps to opportunist loans or wily veterans etc. whilst "1" has a lot of moving parts, like buying a house that's part of a chain; we need others to do their bit for us to do ours (example of this is the supposed fee Leverkusen want for Tah, which in turn prevents us from landing De Ligt for the kind of outlay we want, so the stalemate and long game could well be the order of the day there).

I think a number of players have been informed of our interest, have intimated they are happy to come, but won't wait the entirety of the summer if we look like they're being used as back up pawns in a bigger game of chasing our intended targets, so again, the situation is in flux and is reliant on others doing their bit. Our sales will also play a part in what will or can happen.

RB, DM, STR, CB and LB are all rumoured target positions with the DM and a fullback being the priorities; I think we're more willing to play the long game with the other positions (CB and STR) as the need there isn't as immediate as it is in other positions.

Lastly, I don't think the Malacia situation was clear and apparent to the club - it looks to me like he's had a serious setback and that has fallout. We shouldn't be reliant on two injury prone players at LB anyway and it would have been folly to go into the season with Shaw and a "fit" Malacia. Something has got to give.

Hancko, Kadıoğlu and a quality midfielder would be my preference for the versatility they provide and the amount of positions just the two of them cover. But who knows what will be feasible in the end.

So, as it stands, we've purchased a striker and centre back. In addition to that, we want another centre back, a left back, right back and centre midfielder (or maybe two). A lot of signings, but hopefully we can make it happen.

So, as it stands, we've purchased a striker and centre back. In addition to that, we want another centre back, a left back, right back and centre midfielder (or maybe two). A lot of signings, but hopefully we can make it happen.
We're going by the objective that if we sell a player we buy a player. So there's no reason we dont bring all those positions in if we get rid of Eriksen (Ajax), McTomminay (Fulham) Lindelof (?), Wan Bissaka (West Ham), Casemiro (Saudi) and Sancho (PSG/Juventus.) If we sell a lot of players in the next 10 days, we'll absolutely bring players in those positions.

I just hope we don't end up sacrificing on quality in order to fill all those positions. I would prefer building over a few windows and getting the best in class, if that's going to be the case.

No clue. We're doing well with the misdirection this window and I think our priorities are in two lanes: 1. targets we've planned for prior to the window opening; 2. dynamic/situational targets who will be determined by the end of the serious portion of preseason.

"2" can lead to panic buying or sudden pivoting, perhaps to opportunist loans or wily veterans etc. whilst "1" has a lot of moving parts, like buying a house that's part of a chain; we need others to do their bit for us to do ours (example of this is the supposed fee Leverkusen want for Tah, which in turn prevents us from landing De Ligt for the kind of outlay we want, so the stalemate and long game could well be the order of the day there).

I think a number of players have been informed of our interest, have intimated they are happy to come, but won't wait the entirety of the summer if we look like they're being used as back up pawns in a bigger game of chasing our intended targets, so again, the situation is in flux and is reliant on others doing their bit. Our sales will also play a part in what will or can happen.

RB, DM, STR, CB and LB are all rumoured target positions with the DM and a fullback being the priorities; I think we're more willing to play the long game with the other positions (CB and STR) as the need there isn't as immediate as it is in other positions.

Lastly, I don't think the Malacia situation was clear and apparent to the club - it looks to me like he's had a serious setback and that has fallout. We shouldn't be reliant on two injury prone players at LB anyway and it would have been folly to go into the season with Shaw and a "fit" Malacia. Something has got to give.

Hancko, Kadıoğlu and a quality midfielder would be my preference for the versatility they provide and the amount of positions just the two of them cover. But who knows what will be feasible in the end.
Thanks for the reply. Enjoyed reading that. You have a good way of looking at things too. And I definitely agree with the idea of getting players who can be versatile. It’s obviously going to be a few windows under this new regime (even if 75% of our signings are successful) to become title challengers. So getting some versatility in the team will be a huge help as that rebuild is happening

Thanks for the reply. Enjoyed reading that. You have a good way of looking at things too. And I definitely agree with the idea of getting players who can be versatile. It’s obviously going to be a few windows under this new regime (even if 75% of our signings are successful) to become title challengers. So getting some versatility in the team will be a huge help as that rebuild is happening
What's desirable to me is that they are also very good players who, if not in the team, can push the starters intent on usurping them. But even subbing in or rotating, the quality of player coming into the side would keep the bar as high as possible.

Another thing about the two of them is that they would enable us to play a high line and aggressively pursue the opposition farther up the pitch than we are used to, which then enables the midfield to be more assertive and expressive (no acres of space between them and the backline anymore), so they appeal to me in terms of both what the team needs in regard to options, as well as how I'd like to see us play.

Could end up going in a different direction, but we live in hope!

Hancko would a great signing to back up Licha, probably the best we could get for that role, but I dont really want him at LB. But Kadıoğlu would make more sense as he can backup both fullback roles as well as be good enough to consistently start if Shaw is injured. It doesn't completely block the pathway for Amass over the next 2-3 seasons either.

Hancko would a great signing to back up Licha, probably the best we could get for that role, but I dont really want him at LB. But Kadıoğlu would make more sense as he can backup both fullback roles as well as be good enough to consistently start if Shaw is injured. It doesn't completely block the pathway for Amass over the next 2-3 seasons either.
Sell Lindelof and AWB and get both. Cover across the whole backline that way.

Theo Hernandez would be the dream but he's not going to be cheap, so keeping it real one of Miguel Gutierrez from Girona or Kadioglu for Fenerbahce would be my first options. Both still young at 22 and 24 and would give Shaw a fight for the starting place.

Looks like Malacia is done here at this point. Obviously we won’t release him but he won’t be counted on going forward. It looks like he’s missed his chance here. I like him and I think he’s a good player but no team can wait two seasons for a player

This is not news. The last video posted on the MUTV app showed him training individually with a trainer on grass. So a further "spell on the sidelines" is given as it'll take a while for him to get back to full fitness.

Regardless, we need a new LB. Hopefully, we'd go for a starter rather than someone patchwork solution. From the options mentioned (only seen them in the WC, so not an expert), Ferdi and Hancko look the best to me due to their versatility.

I wonder if this means we have to give up signing a CB. We apparently need to sell to buy any more players, and are still after a CB, DM and ideally a Striker

De Ligt/Chalobah
Ugarte
Toney (if he can be signed for £35m)
FB who can play both sides

Looks like Malacia is done here at this point. Obviously we won’t release him but he won’t be counted on going forward. It looks like he’s missed his chance here. I like him and I think he’s a good player but no team can wait two seasons for a player

Bit of an extreme view, Malacia still has a future if he is back from his injury, he did well for his first season and he can still make a come back, Luke Shaw had a horror injury early in his career and he still continued his career.

Bit of an extreme view, Malacia still has a future if he is back from his injury, he did well for his first season and he can still make a come back, Luke Shaw had a horror injury early in his career and he still continued his career.
Malaria has shown nothing to indicate he’s anywhere near as good as Luke Shaw. We’ve persisted with Shaw for many years because his ceiling is quite high, which isn’t really the case with Malacia. That said I do hope he recovers soon and plays a part.

De Ligt/Chalobah
Ugarte
Toney (if he can be signed for £35m)
FB who can play both sides
That’ll take it to 6 first team signings which I don’t recall us doing in any transfer window in my lifetime

It’ll also require a couple of big sales. McTominay is the only one who seems to have attracted a serious firm bid so far

Malaria has shown nothing to indicate he’s anywhere near as good as Luke Shaw. We’ve persisted with Shaw for many years because his ceiling is quite high, which isn’t really the case with Malacia. That said I do hope he recovers soon and plays a part.
True, Shaw was a prodigy when we signed him from Southampton, and Malacia is no prodigy, but he is still a good player and there is still a chance for him to make it here as a squad option and even maybe a starter, and even if we want to sell, no one will take him and no point to loan him, it is best for the club to oversee his recovery and reintroduction into the first team.

Reality has hit that we're in a financial hole and will probably only sign one more player or two dependent on sales. Not good news for ETH as I think he needs more than that.
I think the reality is that last year accounts with a huge net loss of rumoured to be over £70m has a huge impact, remember the Glazer sold 27.7% of the club to SJR and used the club to pay the Raine Group the £25m commission for facilitating the Sale.

Not having European and Champions League football after the new year impacted the club hugely this summer. However looking at actual cash and what’s so far been spent, I genuinely believe the club has enough cash for two more transfers, One CB for £30-35m and one CDM/CM for £40-45m providing they can control the Agent fees and agree favourable payment terms with the selling club. They clearly will have to sell 4 or 5 existing players if they want to buy a FB, CM and ST/WIDE PLAYER as well.

Does it warrant being called that?

I reckon our name just got used on this one. We don't have the money for it anyway.

Good. Quality or otherwise aside, there's just no point in having yet another sicknote fullback.

The bloke has managed 20 league games once in the last five seasons.