Toby Collyer

He’s 20 years old right now, which is still very young but to be United quality player, you have to be special. The likes of Carrick already featured 30 plus league games at 19 in PL with west ham. Even Rice also featured 30 plus league games at 19. These are just some of reference a no 6 or DM.

If Collyer is United level, he should be at least:
  • Getting some minutes in the league next season and may be few number of league starts if there are some injuries.
  • Starting in our Europa league games especially in the group stage,
  • And gets some minutes in cup games depends on how far we go.

It’s not like we have right to put pressure on our young players but we also cannot just keep young players who might not make it when they can develop somewhere else while we are getting the cash. May be my ideology about judging young player especially for a midfielder is wrong but time will tell. Hopefully, Collyer will make it here.

He’s 20 years old right now, which is still very young but to be United quality player, you have to be special. The likes of Carrick already featured 30 plus league games at 19 in PL with west ham. Even Rice also featured 30 plus league games at 19. These are just some of reference a no 6 or DM.

• Getting some minutes in the league next season and may be few number of league starts if there are some injuries.

It’s not like we have right to put pressure on our young players but we also cannot just keep young players who might not make it when they can develop somewhere else while we are getting the cash. May be my ideology about judging young player especially for a midfielder is wrong but time will tell. Hopefully, Collyer will make it here.

Not many 20 year olds are starting in defensive midfield positions. You can afford to blood youngsters at clubs like West Ham, where they're not expecting to win anything. You can't do that at United unless they are something special, like Mainoo.

Not many 20 year olds are starting in defensive midfield positions. You can afford to blood youngsters at clubs like West Ham, where they're not expecting to win anything. You can't do that at United unless they are something special, like Mainoo.
Quite - the current best DM in the world had played some for Villareal B in the Segunda B at 20.

This seasons breakthrough player?

We always get at least one - would be useful to have a young DM coming through and contributing.

We always get at least one - would be useful to have a young DM coming through and contributing.
You may be right.I remember the way ETH was talking to him after the cup final, the same he did to Kobbie the year before

Don't take that for granted. It would be amazing if we could get one every season, though.

Everything about Collyer screams Declan Rice to me. Simple and practical DM with a good strong physique.

It’s a big thing that Ten Hag has chosen to be in the picture with Toby because there’s a lot of graduates who don’t get that honour.

He will feature a lot in preseason is my guess.

Who was the one 3 seasons ago? We've had Garnacho and then Mainoo but I can't believe who came before them.
Was supposed to be Elanga but the entire season ended on such a low that his progress was overshadowed.

Very obvious now that ETH sees something in him. He had him on the bench throughout the season, and word is he demanded to be at the contract signing for young Toby.

Its not always a case of pure talent, as was the case with Kobbie, sometimes managers see a potential leader and player that can help set standards and they put the time in helping develop the rest of their game. If Toby can be that player for us, then we could have a good squad player.

Its not always the most obvious players that break through, Mourinho saw something in McTominay and then it was up to the player to make something for himself.

I'm intrigued to see how he gets on on the tour. When Garner was coming through he genuinely looked a special talent. Collyer looks fine but I can't say he's had many games where I was blown away. If anything I was surprised he didn't play more games.

I can see him as back up to whichever DM we sign. Could play in any easy games we have in the cups

IMHO has a similar style and game intelligence like what we never got a chance go see from Garner if he had ever played for us. I hope he gets and takes his chance.
Erik saw Garner at close quarters but must not have rated him and that was why he was moved on but it seems he sees something in Toby so it will be interesting.

I think there’s places up for grabs especially in midfield and for a type of midfielder with Collyer skill set. Some are underwhelmed by his functionality but I think it’s his greatest strength. I’m especially impressed by his balance on both sides and passing range.

I’m thinking him and Gore will get games if fit pre season and can supplement who we purchase later on. Maybe one will get loaned and one an opportunity as it will be difficult to use two youngsters including Mainoo in midfield. Rotating for Kobe when he needs rest perhaps?

I am not sure it is comparable with Garner in any way.
I really can not see what he saw in Collyer, as honestly in youth football since signing for us he did not show anything and never looked like a future first team player. Also, comparison with Garner is ridiculous, as at that age Garner already had 2 full Championship seasons in his legs, including promotion with Forest in a season where he was one of their key players. Also he had a few good outings with United, like in Europe League against Partizan Belgrade away where he was excellent in tough atmosphere. So, really can not compare those two, as one was after promotion with Forest probably 15-20m player, that we sold for less just cause Ten Hag waited for too long. Also, Garner said that he did not want to wait anymore and wanted to play every week, and he knew that Ten Hag will not play him so it was time to leave. I really doubt we can sell Collyer at the moment for anything except percentage of future fee, and doubt that even Championship clubs would want him as first team player. So, again, lets hope I am wrong and we have beast in the making.

I think his skill which makes him standout(?) would be his off-ball movement and position awareness, which are hard to judged base on livestream video or highlights. If ETH rates him, he must be special in some form.

Agree

There is nothing "too young" about a 20-year old to start featuring for the senior team. In addition to the examples of Carrick and Rice you gave, Pedri, Gavi, and our own Mainoo are additional relevant examples. Mainoo is 19 and tearing it up. We have every right to expect seeing Collyer starting to feature for us this coming season, at least in Europe and cup games

Already looks a better option than McTommy for the Casemiro stand in, very good reading of the game and positional awareness,

"we always get one"???? Really?

It's only been true last two years. Mainoo last season and Garnacho the season before (even that is a stretch). Before that there were quite a few years/seasons with no young players breaking through in any meaningful way.

Last edited:
Is he good enough to play that mctominay role were we to sell the latter?

Amazing precision in passing the ball backwards.
Literally typed out mere seconds ago that he needs to pass forward more and there were way too many back passes. But I didn't want to appear too harsh on the lad playing in a pre-season game and so didn't want post it. :lol: :lol:

Literally typed out mere seconds ago that he needs to pass forward more and there were way too many back passes. But I didn't want to appear too harsh on the lad playing in a pre-season game and so didn't want post it. :lol: :lol:
I don’t get it. It's a friendly. Who cares. Pass forwards.
Keane would do his nut watching United in that 2nd half.

I don’t get it. It's a friendly. Who cares. Pass forwards.
Keane would do his nut watching United in that 2nd half.
I would love to be proven wrong but in my opinion I don't think he has the quality to make those forward passes and hence kept it safe.

I would love to be proven wrong but in my opinion I don't think he has the quality to make those forward passes and hence kept it safe.
It’s not about quality. It’s about team mates making themselves available to receive the ball. His passing is fine

Don't see it - being a big reasonably fast player with decent positioning is not enough if you don't have quality on the ball, for United. He doesn't even seem to have bottom half PL quality and i imagine would be torn to shreds by a serious press.

But that's on the basis of 45 mins, so who knows, maybe he'll impress in future.

It’s not about quality. It’s about team mates making themselves available to receive the ball. His passing is fine
We will see. He hasn't shown anything at the u21s level in the games I watched. Him and Oyedele were passengers for most of the time.