Toby Collyer

Better today than in all pre-season. Careful with his passing, but still quick. Promising cameo.

Really not sure why wed be looking at Amrabat anymore with Collyer being available. I still want another midfielder, but it has to be an improvement on what we already have. But this lad can get some minutes this season.

Unfortunately he came to United when he was already 18 so fails to meet the criteria for a youth player.
Yes, I thought that when I saw him being billed as academy graduate #251.

Though there was an article on the official site explaining it, where it said...

While being signed from Brighton in 2022, Collyer qualifies as an Academy graduate because United conducted a review in the summer which determined that the methodology to decide which players are deemed graduates was to change.
In 2023, the Premier League announced that Premier League 2 teams were to switch from Under-23s to Under-21s.
Therefore, Our Academy's graduate-determining criteria has been backdated to 2012, when the Premier League's Elite Player Performance Plan - the last major change to the regulation of the Academy system - was introduced.

The historic academy graduate methodology for all players signed before 1 July 2012, is as follows:

- Signed for Manchester United before turning 18
- Never played senior professional football for any other club
- Played fixtures for an academy team

For any player signed after 1 July 2012 (Introduction of EPPP and creation of PL2):

- Signed for Manchester United before turning 21

His name. Nobody called 'Toby' is making it as a top level athlete in the 20s, unless we're talking the 1920s.
How many Kylians were top level, before Mbappe? Heck, how many Lionels, before Messi? :)

Yes, I thought that when I saw him being billed as academy graduate #251.

Though there was an article on the official site explaining it, where it said...

While being signed from Brighton in 2022, Collyer qualifies as an Academy graduate because United conducted a review in the summer which determined that the methodology to decide which players are deemed graduates was to change.
In 2023, the Premier League announced that Premier League 2 teams were to switch from Under-23s to Under-21s.
Therefore, Our Academy's graduate-determining criteria has been backdated to 2012, when the Premier League's Elite Player Performance Plan - the last major change to the regulation of the Academy system - was introduced.

The historic academy graduate methodology for all players signed before 1 July 2012, is as follows:

- Signed for Manchester United before turning 18

For any player signed after 1 July 2012 (Introduction of EPPP and creation of PL2):

- Signed for Manchester United before turning 21
Never heard so much dross in my life (not from you but from the club)…you can’t keep changing criteria to suit agendas. It’s so inconsistent when comparing to previous eras…If you’re 21 you are hardly a youth…that just doesn’t make sense.

He looked more comfortable on the ball against City at Wembley than he did against anyone in pre season. Encouraging.

Never heard so much dross in my life (not from you but from the club)…you can’t keep changing criteria to suit agendas. It’s so inconsistent when comparing to previous eras…If you’re 21 you are hardly a youth…that just doesn’t make sense.
Yeah, I agree with you. Signing a player in their 20's shouldn't count as an Academy product.

They should definitely have stuck with the signing before 18, and having played for the Academy team, criteria.

Really nice to see another young lad on the cusp of the first team squad. Especially pleasing that he’s athletic too - our midfield are easily bullied or run past.

Yeah promising performance. I thought that his performances improved as the pre-season went on, which is a great sign given that the quality of opposition also progressively improved.

He definitely has some really good attributes to work with from a defensive stand point and seems to have a good engine. I think his ability on the ball is going to be the biggest question and will determine how much of a factor he can be for us. Seems to mostly go for the safe option when passing and even then he had a couple of sloppy passes when he came on. But hopefully we'll see some development in that area and he could definitely be at least a decent squad player in the future, if not as early as this season.

Yeah promising performance. I thought that his performances improved as the pre-season went on, which is a great sign given that the quality of opposition also progressively improved.

He definitely has some really good attributes to work with from a defensive stand point and seems to have a good engine. I think his ability on the ball is going to be the biggest question and will determine how much of a factor he can be for us. Seems to mostly go for the safe option when passing and even then he had a couple of sloppy passes when he came on. But hopefully we'll see some development in that area and he could definitely be at least a decent squad player in the future, if not as early as this season.
he will be a good back up to whoever we buy as a DM