Toby Collyer England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Felt so sorry for him when he was attempting to be positive and run it away from danger with no one even having the decency to show for him.

Hold your head up kid, just for effort you get a pass from todays shit show.

It was needs must, Casemiro looked like he was broken in the last 5 mins of extra time.

Last edited:
Was decent, made a few mistakes on the ball himself but clearly a better game than Casemiro

4 tackles

Didn't look good out there unfortunately. Only thing over Casemiro's performance was he had legs.

Was unfair to be thrust into that, but did ok. Needs to tidy up his passing, but all things considered did well.

He gets a free pass from me today because in no way should he have been thrown on in such a big game and with us down 2-0 at home. This is on Casemiro for his inept performance.

He gets a free pass from me today because in no way should he have been thrown on in such a big game and with us down 2-0 at home. This is on Casemiro for his inept performance.

Indeed. Hopefully the experience at this level was good for him

He went on as there was little option, it was him or Eriksen. He did okayish but that’s being kind and allowing for his youth and inexperieence.

Under the circumstances, decent. The second half was all about avoiding further humiliation, nothing more.

A very difficult game to be thrown into especially 2 goals down.

Thought his positioning was a bit off at times and kept veering out to the left - not sure if that was in response to TAA pushing further forward.

He was a bit lightweight and easily shoved off the ball but given the circumstances he can hold his head up.

I know we have a number of injuries at the moment but the lack of options on the bench today was concerning.

Did alright for a youngster thrown into the deep end, but froze like a deer in headlights a couple of times.

Probably not good enough like most of our academy products these days but he did his best when he came on and didn't make any big mistakes like Casemiro.

Criticising his positioning, or anything really, seems very harsh today, when I dont think anybody knows what formation we were even playing for most of that half. I actually thought he looked decent, very few games are going to be ones where you're thrown in next to another teenager with no support whatsoever. Credit to him for showing some positivity and hopefully gets plenty of chances in cups this season as well as league matches under his belt.

He (and the rest of the squad) wasn't set up for success. This game or the last 2 seasons.

For this game, he couldn't and shouldn't have been expected by anyone to be a miracle-worker.

Improvement over the player he replaced. That would be fairly good for a debut but he did replace a 0/10 performance player...

Not ready for this level. Seems to lack the technical ability needed to play against press of Liverpool. Got himself into trouble times and times again. But of course, we can't be too critical because the circumstances were really really bad.

Criticising his positioning, or anything really, seems very harsh today, when I dont think anybody knows what formation we were even playing for most of that half. I actually thought he looked decent, very few games are going to be ones where you're thrown in next to another teenager with no support whatsoever. Credit to him for showing some positivity and hopefully gets plenty of chances in cups this season as well as league matches under his belt.
Agree with this

It's difficult going from U21 football straight into a shellshocked team already 2-0 down. Not the ideal game to acclimatise to the pace of PL football.
Even Mainoo looked out of his depth today at times and Toby did well under the circumstances.

I'm not sure why he was playing further forward than Kobbie given he is supposed to be a DM. I can only think that the coaches thought it was too much responsibility in that position for a PL debutant. He does seem to have a decent radar and touch but it was a harsh environment to excel in.

Also, if any young player had put in the kind of performance Bruno put in today they'd probably never get another game.

A bit lightweigth. Kinda remind me of Fletcher during the early stage of his first team career. Doesn't seems like a DM for me as he likes to venture far. May be that's ETH instruction. Did ok overall but think he is not ready to start yet. Obviously need to polish his passing.

Tunnicliffe vibes. We’re going to be relying on him here and there until January at least so I hope he can surprise some of us.

This. He inject some energy into that midifield, and doesn’t hide. Ok-ish debut against good opponent. And would like to see him play more.

He did okay. Even if he didn't it'd be understandable. Hopefully he'll be useful player in the future.

Probably not good enough like most of our academy products these days but he did his best when he came on and didn't make any big mistakes like Casemiro.
Most of every team's academy products aren't good enough for the first team. That's how it works.

It's difficult going from U21 football straight into a shellshocked team already 2-0 down. Not the ideal game to acclimatise to the pace of PL football.
Even Mainoo looked out of his depth today at times and Toby did well under the circumstances.

I'm not sure why he was playing further forward than Kobbie given he is supposed to be a DM. I can only think that the coaches thought it was too much responsibility in that position for a PL debutant. He does seem to have a decent radar and touch but it was a harsh environment to excel in.

Also, if any young player had put in the kind of performance Bruno put in today they'd probably never get another game.
These are early days for both Mainoo and Collyer. Collyer covers an enormous amount of ground, which is why it makes more sense to have him in the higher pressure in a more box-to-box pattern. Mainoo is more assured on the ball, so in a way you use their skills better with Mainoo behind in the pressure, at least in terms of ground covered and ability to play out of defense. Unfortunately, today neither our collective pressure was top nor our play out past high pressure, and Kobbie made a few gaffes untypical for his style but maybe typical for his age.

Neither were brilliant, but as an underage midfield duo surrounded by key players who faltered, I think they didn’t do too bad.

Of course expecting them to carry our midfield is bound to be a bit inconsistent.

Shouldn't have been put in the situation, wasn't great but we asked more than he could reasonably be expected to deliver. Same with Mainoo, need to temper expectations and give them space.

We probably have the best crop of youth players from any academy in England right now. Weird post.

We probably have the best crop of youth players from any academy in England right now. Weird post.
Yea feels like some people just want to have a pop at everything in the club. I don't rate Collyer that much myself but our academy is right up there among the best in England.

Shouldn't have been put in the situation, wasn't great but we asked more than he could reasonably be expected to deliver. Same with Mainoo, need to temper expectations and give them space.
Agreed. Also, I'm not sure why ETH asked him to play higher than Mainoo. There is just something very wrong with Ten Hag's tactics and setup.

Shouldn’t have been put in to that situation. Not gonna blame Ten Hag for it though this time because Casemiro was shocking. The fault is on the player but also our recruitment team for not understanding we needed 2-3 players in the midfield. We’ve got in Ugarte but we are arguably worse off still because we’ve lost McT and Amrabat whilst Casemiro and Eriksen look ready for the scrap heap.

Agreed. Also, I'm not sure why ETH asked him to play higher than Mainoo. There is just something very wrong with Ten Hag's tactics and setup.

He got forward in preseason too and we were behind, so he wanted to make an attacking change trying to get something back. If he sits everyone behind the ball we complain he didnt try to get back in the game. It also led to our best chance with Zirkzee's shot. Theres much to be annoyed by but this was the one thing he got right, Collyer coming on for Casemiro and not just playing defence against attack like a training exercise.

I've been harsh on him in the past but I cannot criticise him for yesterday. He was thrown into a nightmare scenario and for the most part, kept his nerve. Few silly moments like dribbling out of play but he did add legs.

As with Mourinho, ten Hag is happy to throw young players under the bus to save his own skin. Sooner he's gone and this returns to being a club that beds in young players properly the better.

Tough job, but did ok. I'll gladly see more of him.

feck me, i know its all doom and gloom, but people really do need to give their heads a bloody great wobble if they are criticizing / jumping to conclusions on Collyer on the basis of this one cameo.
There is a bigger picture here though, ETH system is lets be honest, bonkers for anybody in midfield, and so any prospects coming through are going to struggle. You can see with it Mainoo, who looked a bit lost and overpowered at times. When in any half decent midfield structure / plan, he would thrive.

I liked his appearance, always nice to see a youth player on the pitch